SOLUTIONS NEEDED. 2 JUNE 2024. Memo to Goody

Has Clarry now been handed a different centre bounce role than in previous years? He was always first to pounce on the tap out and, if he couldn’t extract the ball, he was usually at the bottom of the pack. That now seems to be Viney’s role, unfortunately. If so, it ain’t doing him, or us, any good. I say give him last years brief, and let him go, as only Clarry can. It may just help him to get his mojo back. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, beelzebub said:

sobering.....and hard to argue with.  It actually quite eloquently sums up where we are. Bit harsh on Petty. I would have thought there were worse.

I honestly think its a bit strggle street from here on in....short of some miracle or two. Someone(s) has to find the form of better times...and perhaps someone might step out of the shadows.

Otherwise the party might be over.

KB is bigger than Ben Hur in the context of things. If we see nothing....then the cupboard's bare.

It's our GF this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

So… our Flag WAS a fluke then. That’s what you’re saying, right? It’s one thing to b!ttcch and moan about the subsequent years but to call our premiership a fluke is disgusting.

And btw, unless and until other posters complain about my “intrinsic almost transcendental bond with the group” - whatever tf that means - I’ll continue to post whatever I like in terms of conversations had with the players. 

It's beginning to look like it.

• Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1

Last year I said we were beginning to look like The Dogs. Win a GF and then fade to mediocrity. It looks more like it with ever passing week. The loss of Brayshaw has been hugh. We won't beat the pies on Monday. After the last month I will be surprised if we are even competitive. 

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

If you think about these video clips to see Oliver being outmuscled like that, its easy to think that he hasnt done a good enough body of work and is lacking in conditioning. I see something else. I see that there is no desire, no want, no thirst for the contest. It is completely mental for mine. Now the root cause of that can be many things: has he lost the passion, does he want out of MFC, is his ADHD meds playing around with motivation and energy levels, could it still be his finger? we wont probably ever find out. 

But something needs to be done. Watching a player of his ilk go through what he is going through, makes me thing he is being thrown to the lions without any support. Got to take the decision out of his hands. Give him a secondary role, one that he is more likely to succeed at and build from there. Casey? forward line? i dont know. But we are doing atm is not working. 

Not forward cannot kick over a jam tin

• Vomit 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BDA said:

Our old game plan was worked out by the opposition 

We don’t have the skills to execute the new game plan

its a pickle for sure. TBH I’m not sure if the brains trust can come up with something different other than revert to our contested and territory game.

will be interesting to see what we do v the pies

20 hours ago, BW511 said:

It is quite intriguing that skill has been our downfall for many, many years and yet we doubled down with a new gameplan which is outrageously reliant on skill.

It looks as though is has been an overcorrection but it was done to preserve the bulls who have been battered come September last 2 years.

We did seek to bring players in that were (allegedly) better/smarter kicks (Billings/Windsor/McAdam) but they haven't had sufficient effect. We also looked to put the ball in Salem's hands more. 

19 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well said. 

I'm now in the boat that there's a huge chance we could miss finals based on this overview. 

You can't overhaul the game plan completely but even with a few tinkering you're still not guaranteed to win games.

This has been brewing for a number of weeks now. 

Personally I think if we lose the Pies we should put the cue in the rack and start getting ready for a final throw of the dice in 25. Ditch the NQRs, get back to our DNA, get blokes fit and head to the draft/FA cashed up and single bloody minded.

Oliver, Viney, Trac, Langdon, Fritsch, Lever, Kozzy, ANB are all still in their prime years, they won't forget how to play footy between now and next September, the just need to be fit. Gawn will still be fine, JVR, Windsor, McVee, Rivers, Bowey can improve. There's enough there if they are fit and playing their proper roles if we plug some gaps. 

Must find

• a big bloke that can contest the ruck, batter the opposition and bring the ball to ground in the forward line. 
  • a mid with some zip
  • a meat axe for the guts to assist Clarrie and Vines   

I'm not taling about stars or AA level, just solid citizens, but they mustn't be broken down or bits and pieces which we have too many of right now.

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Has Clarry now been handed a different centre bounce role than in previous years? He was always first to pounce on the tap out and, if he couldn’t extract the ball, he was usually at the bottom of the pack. That now seems to be Viney’s role, unfortunately. If so, it ain’t doing him, or us, any good. I say give him last years brief, and let him go, as only Clarry can. It may just help him to get his mojo back. 

A big yes from me.  Does he have the tank though?

He could also share the role with Vines but the majority of time Clarry is going in.  Say 60% Clarry / 40% Vines.  That's assuming this isn't already happening which i doubt.

Also move mids who are being tagged or somewhat out of form in recent weeks, send them up forward and swap with a HF for the occasional CB.  Then back to usual roles.

Other teams are now doing this.

Filth 👉🏼  McReary & Lapinski attended 18 CBs between them against the Doggies.

Bombers:  Stringer comes in for Perkins occasionaly then straight back to HF at the next CB.

Hawks:  Dylan Moore comes in for Newcombe for the odd CB then straight out again.

Kozzy comes to mind.  Can come in for a CB in place of Tracc, Vines or Clarry then straight back to HF at next CB.

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

It looks as though is has been an overcorrection but it was done to preserve the bulls who have been battered come September last 2 years.

We did seek to bring players in that were (allegedly) better/smarter kicks (Billings/Windsor/McAdam) but they haven't had sufficient effect. We also looked to put the ball in Salem's hands more. 

Personally I think if we lose the Pies we should put the cue in the rack and start getting ready for a final throw of the dice in 25. Ditch the NQRs, get back to our DNA, get blokes fit and head to the draft/FA cashed up and single bloody minded.

Oliver, Viney, Trac, Langdon, Fritsch, Lever, Kozzy, ANB are all still in their prime years, they won't forget how to play footy between now and next September, the just need to be fit. Gawn will still be fine, JVR, Windsor, McVee, Rivers, Bowey can improve. There's enough there if they are fit and playing their proper roles if we plug some gaps. 

Must find

• a big bloke that can contest the ruck, batter the opposition and bring the ball to ground in the forward line. 
  • a mid with some zip
  • a meat axe for the guts to assist Clarrie and Vines   

I'm not taling about stars or AA level, just solid citizens, but they mustn't be broken down or bits and pieces which we have too many of right now.

Decent summary and case Deeceive  but a team should never put the cue in the rack unless it becomes mathematically impossible to make finals.

Finals experience is invaluable and who knows how deep we might go.

• Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Decent summary and case Deeceive  but a team should never put the cue in the rack unless it becomes mathematically impossible to make finals.

Finals experience is invaluable and who knows how deep we might go.

I can see your logic but I'd be of a different philosophy in this instance particularly with our stars all being the wrong side of 28 (except Koz). 

If we can't win it all this year start planning to win it all next year.  

3 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

I can see your logic but I'd be of a different philosophy in this instance particularly with our stars all being the wrong side of 28 (except Koz). 

If we cant win it in next 2.... and that would require a change of direction, and in results.  Then as another suggested, though not so much cue in rack, just the understanding  of realities that we go into full rebuild. Take with us what works , jettison everything else.  everything. 

Monday tells us where we are. Is as much about mindsets and attitudes as anything.  

Win/lose..    more about how...either way.

We have been sliding  since sep 21.

How far ??

3 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Agree with that in terms of the coaches and FD running through the list, reviewing and maybe playing the odd depth role players at Casey to see where they're at.

At senior level i would hope (and expect) the boys give maximum effort and output for the entire season, right up to the final siren for 2024!

• Like 1

Yes agree, I probably could have used a better term. My thinking being don't play blokes that aren't optimally fit/injured, Oliver an obvious one and don't play Max & May just for the sake of it, manage them. 

Then using the remaining games to settle/correct the method, see who's worth retaining and who's not and scouting for the gaps. 
Then hit preseason focussed on refining the method, not launching it, and getting super fit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Yes agree, I probably could have used a better term. My thinking being don't play blokes that aren't optimally fit/injured, Oliver an obvious one and don't play Max & May just for the sake of it, manage them. 

Then using the remaining games to settle/correct the method, see who's worth retaining and who's not and scouting for the gaps. 
Then hit preseason focussed on refining the method, not launching it, and getting super fit.

You can’t think like that, after Round 12

Too many Sponsorship and Corporate $$$’s run through the Club

Players are on big Contracts to perform, not to be wrapped in Cotton Wool until Next Year 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

If you think about these video clips to see Oliver being outmuscled like that, its easy to think that he hasnt done a good enough body of work and is lacking in conditioning. I see something else. I see that there is no desire, no want, no thirst for the contest. It is completely mental for mine. Now the root cause of that can be many things: has he lost the passion, does he want out of MFC, is his ADHD meds playing around with motivation and energy levels, could it still be his finger? we wont probably ever find out

I am definitely with you on this thinking. Sure his fitness is probably not perfect but it looks more a mental issue to me also. 
I am finding it very hard to watch my favourite player of all time go from an absolute gun inside player who loved the contest to a shell of that player. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, old dee said:

Last year I said we were beginning to look like The Dogs. Win a GF and then fade to mediocrity. It looks more like it with ever passing week. The loss of Brayshaw has been hugh. We won't beat the pies on Monday. After the last month I will be surprised if we are even competitive. 

The dogs who missed finals after winning the flag?

we came second in 2022 (H/A)

we are poor at the moment but let’s keep things in perspective 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DubDee said:

The Freo loss was our worst in how long? does anyone know as far as margin

I believe it was in 2016 vs Geelong. We lost by 111 points 

edit- It was in Round 23 at GMHBA

Geelong: 24. 11. 155. 
Melbourne: 6. 8. 44

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ANG13 said:

I am definitely with you on this thinking. Sure his fitness is probably not perfect but it looks more a mental issue to me also. 
I am finding it very hard to watch my favourite player of all time go from an absolute gun inside player who loved the contest to a shell of that player. 

It actually goes back from the time he did his hammy last year. So it wasn’t just the preseason that has gone by.

15 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I believe it was in 2016 vs Geelong. We lost by 111 points 

edit- It was in Round 23 at GMHBA

Geelong: 24. 11. 155. 
Melbourne: 6. 8. 44

Thanks

worst loss in 8 years. And i think I saw we haven’t lost by more than 40 points in years? this was a significant loss. especially coupled with the WC debacle

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Thanks

worst loss in 8 years. And i think I saw we haven’t lost by more than 40 points in years? this was a significant loss. especially coupled with the WC debacle

Sunday was the worst loss under Goody. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

If you think about these video clips to see Oliver being outmuscled like that, its easy to think that he hasnt done a good enough body of work and is lacking in conditioning. I see something else. I see that there is no desire, no want, no thirst for the contest. It is completely mental for mine. Now the root cause of that can be many things: has he lost the passion, does he want out of MFC, is his ADHD meds playing around with motivation and energy levels, could it still be his finger? we wont probably ever find out. 

But something needs to be done. Watching a player of his ilk go through what he is going through, makes me thing he is being thrown to the lions without any support. Got to take the decision out of his hands. Give him a secondary role, one that he is more likely to succeed at and build from there. Casey? forward line? i dont know. But we are doing atm is not working. 

It's probably both, he is lacking conditioning and doesn't have the body strength to compete in the contest so ends up giving it up.

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

On 05/06/2024 at 20:15, picket fence said:

Yep agree, Simon panicked!!

Simon panicked??? Simon panicked???

What about all the posters on this site who kept going on and on and on and on about how Collingwood had picked apart our game plan, we needed to move the ball quicker, our defence had been worked out etc etc etc

But now the narrative is, we should have stuck with it?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

Simon panicked??? Simon panicked???

What about all the posters on this site who kept going on and on and on and on about how Collingwood had picked apart our game plan, we needed to move the ball quicker, our defence had been worked out etc etc etc

But now the narrative is, we should have stuck with it?

That is how DL rolls, very short memories.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

That is how DL rolls, very short memories.

I think more than a few on here need to stop listening to the media. They change opinions more than the weather.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1