Melbourne Rebels are no more

Posted (edited)

Just heard on the wireless they are wrapping up operations after their last game this weekend.

For those in the know, would this mean more training space and changeroom area for our Demons inside of the precinct?

Edited by YesitwasaWin4theAges
  • Like 5

Clearly Rugby Australia wanted to cut out one of the teams.  They killed off the Force, then Twiggy saved them.  

One of the damning issues is the funds allotted from Rugby Australia. They “develop” the game through big contract offers to players to play with the Reds or Waratahs. 

Rugby Australia recently chose to provide millions of dollars in financial support to the NSW Waratahs to keep them paying bills!!!  Unfortunately decided to knife the Rebels and provide not a cent to the Rebels.  

So watch as half the Rebels squad move up to the Waratahs.  Rugby Australia plan succeeds again. 

• Like 5

Not privy to all the financials but the Rebels would have been bleeding money from the moment they entered the comp.

Rugby Australia just cutting away to save the heartland states interests.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Clearly Rugby Australia wanted to cut out one of the teams.  They killed off the Force, then Twiggy saved them.  

One of the damning issues is the funds allotted from Rugby Australia. They “develop” the game through big contract offers to players to play with the Reds or Waratahs. 

Rugby Australia recently chose to provide millions of dollars in financial support to the NSW Waratahs to keep them paying bills!!!  Unfortunately decided to knife the Rebels and provide not a cent to the Rebels.  

So watch as half the Rebels squad move up to the Waratahs.  Rugby Australia plan succeeds again. 

I don't watch rugby or care about it really at all, however my partner's Dad is a big rugy union fan.

He said the management of Rugby Australia and their investment into grass roots is a disgrace and the reason Australia are now one of the poorer Union nations in  the world.

More short sighted decisions from their management. AFL will be licking their lips as it will mean more Victorian kids playing AFL. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

I don't watch rugby or care about it really at all, however my partner's Dad is a big rugy union fan.

He said the management of Rugby Australia and their investment into grass roots is a disgrace and the reason Australia are now one of the poorer Union nations in  the world.

More short sighted decisions from their management. AFL will be licking their lips as it will mean more Victorian kids playing AFL. 

Rugby has been horrendously mismanaged but a lot of their issues come because they just don’t have the cash to invest everywhere.

For junior development you need money, for money you need good teams and a broadcast deal, which needs viewers on a network people will pay for and watch.

Just like soccer, Rugby has been a victim of Foxtel no longer being the choice for all sports and splitting off to Paramount or Stan for much needed short term dollars.

Not sure it means much for afl which already dominates junior participation in Victoria. Rugby has always been a small niche sport.

The winner is Rugby League with the Storm junior programs fighting for the same athletes.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Just like soccer, Rugby has been a victim of Foxtel no longer being the choice for all sports and splitting off to Paramount or Stan for much needed short term dollars.

I was a big rugby fan during its glory days. Once they introduced the international club competition and went behind paywalls I lost interest which I rarely regain.

The more recent negatives at inter- country level were the "forever" dominance of the All Blacks and the increasing dominance of the long range penalty kick as the major means of scoring as compared to tries

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I was a big rugby fan during its glory days. Once they introduced the international club competition and went behind paywalls I lost interest which I rarely regain.

The more recent negatives at inter- country level were the "forever" dominance of the All Blacks and the increasing dominance of the long range penalty kick as the major means of scoring as compared to tries

Do they even score tries in the International Heavyweight battles?

Seem to remember Jonny Wilkinson, Dan Carter and they like just slotting them for fun (penalty goals) which determine a majority of games.

Too many players on the field, to much congestion, League a much game to watch.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

Its a shame Union has struggled to get traction in recent years, particularly since the Wallaby glory days. I dont mind watching it compared to League which is simply hideous.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In sporting terms it’s like hearing that the second cousin once removed of your neighbour up the road has died. The three people that followed them must be devastated. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Not privy to all the financials but the Rebels would have been bleeding money from the moment they entered the comp.

Rugby Australia just cutting away to save the heartland states interests.

I think I read $26 mill in the red.

• Shocked 2

42 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Its a shame Union has struggled to get traction in recent years, particularly since the Wallaby glory days. I dont mind watching it compared to League which is simply hideous.

I am the reverse. Simply don't understand Union rules.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, layzie said:

I do like Rugby Union and back in the day was into the Super Rugby but can't say I ever went to a Rebels game. 

This town just isn't big enough.

Can't say I'm a fan. But I did like the idea that Melbourne had a RU team.

Edited by Demon_spurs
  • Like 1

Cursed the moment they hired Cipriani as the marquee player. I like Union, am old enough to remember Gregan, Ellis, Nobody and of course Campese. Was genuinely excited when Melbourne got the Rebels, but the operation has been the antithesis of the Storm. Rugby has been a hard watch for awhile now, entitled, brattish players who are superstars before they have paid their dues, little team culture etc. If they don't fix it we will be (or are) a middle tier country like, Italy, Georgia etc. 

• Like 2

Super Rugby is a terrible competition.  They play in half empty stadiums and sometimes just a few thousand, even in New Zealand and I don't think it can be fixed.  Rugby is all about national representation,  after that people don't care that much about it.

• Like 2

It’s a game for private schoolboys and Alan Jones, not popular.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluey said:

It’s a game for private schoolboys and Alan Jones, not popular.

A private schoolboy game in some parts of Sydney & Brisbane but Victorian Rugby is very much a game for immigrant Pacific Islanders and one of the reasons the Tahs clique at Rugby Australia are happy to cut off any chances for a Melbourne Rebels rescue bid. They hate the Rebels and want to scavenge the Rebels carcass for players to bolster the faltering Waratahs who are bottom of the SPR League this season.

Melbourne Rebels member here, so quite sad to see them go and hoping they can be reincarnated in some form down the track as Super Pacific Rugby is simply not sustainable in its current set up. The Rebels are just the canary in the coal mine and the coal mine is run by cliquish and incompetent buffoons at Rugby Australia. 

Edited by No. 31
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Cursed the moment they hired Cipriani as the marquee player. I like Union, am old enough to remember Gregan, Ellis, Nobody and of course Campese. Was genuinely excited when Melbourne got the Rebels, but the operation has been the antithesis of the Storm. Rugby has been a hard watch for awhile now, entitled, brattish players who are superstars before they have paid their dues, little team culture etc. If they don't fix it we will be (or are) a middle tier country like, Italy, Georgia etc. 

The Wallabies in the late 90s and early 2000s were must see viewing. There was something about that side, how many times they pulled it out of no-where in big games! 

The 22 Bledisloe game at Marvel was a real throwback to those times. It was am epic contest and we nearly made it happen. Haven't won that trophy in over 20 years now.

39 minutes ago, layzie said:

The Wallabies in the late 90s and early 2000s were must see viewing. There was something about that side, how many times they pulled it out of no-where in big games! 

The 22 Bledisloe game at Marvel was a real throwback to those times. It was am epic contest and we nearly made it happen. Haven't won that trophy in over 20 years now.

I was at Eden Park the last time that we beat NZ. It felt very good given the frenzy that the Kiwis were in after losing to the Aussies. Many years later I have got to appreciate Rugby so much so that if there is a good game on I would prefer to watch Rugby over AFL. I am even known to watch Irish Club games. It is a brutal game which is slowly coming to terms (at a much slower rate than AFL) with concussion issues. Rugby will die in Victoria without having our own Club despite what Rugby Australia says. I don't doubt that RA have absolutely no money but something inside me reminds me of how cricket was dominated by players from N.S.W. not so long ago. They cannot wring anymore money out of the TV Rights so they were never going to accept the Consortium's model. The Club had no chance to survive this time around. Phil Waugh is in la la land if he thinks the Maori and Islander communities will stick with Rugby Australia. They will head straight over to the Storm. What really makes me mad is that RA had to announce it just before the team were heading off to fly to Fiji to play in their first final against the Drua. Great timing!

• Like 1
  • Clap 2

7 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

The Club had no chance to survive this time around. Phil Waugh is in la la land if he thinks the Maori and Islander communities will stick with Rugby Australia. They will head straight over to the Storm. What really makes me mad is that RA had to announce it just before the team were heading off to fly to Fiji to play in their first final against the Drua. Great timing!

Waugh 

What is he good for 

Absolutely nothing. 

Seriously hope this doesn’t cost us out title of the worlds sporting capital.

7 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

I was at Eden Park the last time that we beat NZ. It felt very good given the frenzy that the Kiwis were in after losing to the Aussies. Many years later I have got to appreciate Rugby so much so that if there is a good game on I would prefer to watch Rugby over AFL. I am even known to watch Irish Club games. It is a brutal game which is slowly coming to terms (at a much slower rate than AFL) with concussion issues. Rugby will die in Victoria without having our own Club despite what Rugby Australia says. I don't doubt that RA have absolutely no money but something inside me reminds me of how cricket was dominated by players from N.S.W. not so long ago. They cannot wring anymore money out of the TV Rights so they were never going to accept the Consortium's model. The Club had no chance to survive this time around. Phil Waugh is in la la land if he thinks the Maori and Islander communities will stick with Rugby Australia. They will head straight over to the Storm. What really makes me mad is that RA had to announce it just before the team were heading off to fly to Fiji to play in their first final against the Drua. Great timing!

It's a great sport Longsufferingnomore and Rugby League doesn't come close in my opinion. Even though I'm not as invested these days I can always watch and get into it if it's on. My brother in law is a kiwi so often he needs someone to watch with!

Very sad state the Aus game is in. 

• Like 2

I bought a ticket for Melbourne Rebels v British & Irish Lions mid next year. I bought the ticket because the Rebels were playing a big name opponent at Marvel Stadium. Don't know who they intend to replace the Rebels with but am now no longer really interested in going. FU Rugby Australia 😡

• Sad 1

Very few people care about the Rebels. The majority of the attendees were ex pat kiwis or south Africans that came along to support their team against the Rebels.

I guess the idea was to create a rugby union storm equivalent in Melbourne. Storm have done a great job by being well organised and successful on the field. Rebels were badly run and hopeless on the field.