Welcome to Demonland: Luker Kentfield

I see this as a more fitting version of KF backup profile. Allow Turner to play def (we need backup the next couple of years), more promise than Schache and BBB, with more of a ruck string in the bow, and more ready to go than Jefferson.
we’ll move BBB and Schache on at the end of the year, and instead of drafting a long limbed project they get someone with development already. Makes sense. The question is can he make a difference this year, and I wouldn’t rule it out. 

I don’t know what it says about fullarton though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The midfield that’s needed Nibbler and Kossie to go on ball to provide some run and speed, has had to move Langdon to half forward to have run there and is suddenly relying on Hunter again doesn’t need reinforcements?

I can see the case that no one really stood out, but we’d be silly if we don’t reinforce the midfield and mid/forward depth this offseason.

Surely you can see we are experimenting with our midfielders and half-forwards in other roles against lowly opposition, to adjust the mix and provide greater flexibility?

It’s not because we don’t have any better starting mids; it’s about giving us options.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

54 minutes ago, binman said:

Indeed.

Of course we need to strengthen our midfield. We lost a starting mid, a top 3 draft pick no less, after (understandably) trading a possible staring mid in jordon and depth in harmes.

As you suggest we have some options, though of that list I think only laurie, the kolt and woey are any chance of being regular starting mids.

(by the by, the fact that none have been rushed into the side, particularly laurie who is AFL ready and played a full season as a mid at Casey, show the level of concern currently about our midfield. Compare and contrast to the decision to bring a defender, Turner  in as a forward).

Kolt looks ready made as an inside mid and might be pushing for a spot next year.

And I wouldn't have previously thought woey was a mid option previously- he hasn’t played as one at Casey or in the ones - but I've been impressed by his contest work and physically he is becoming a bit of a bull, so he might be a chance of becoming a mid.

So we have got options going forward and with our  likely draft picks it is unlikely we will be able to draft a kid good enough to slot straight in next season.

Which leaves trading in a mid. I have no idea who might be available.

But there is zero point trading in a mid who is not an automatic starter, ie not a deprh player.

In a similar vein to your comment old about there not being an AFL ready mid kicking around in the WAFL, VFL or country leagues, it's not as if thegu's a surfeit of gun mids playing AFL who are both good enough to slot into a top 4 team's midfield and available.

The trade whispers about who we might be targeting will give us some insight into how big an issue the club thinks our midfield is.

Yes there's not a great deal of ready made midfield impact in my list of players but they could come in and enable Salem, Rivers or even McVee to run through there in addition to ANB and Pickett who are already adding something.

But as you agree it's about available talent in the MSD. Maybe doom merchant @poita would have been happier with match winners like Trent Bianco or giving Kyle Dunkley another chance?

We can draft some midfield talent and maybe pick up some useful FA depth at the end of the year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

At 19 we know big lads take time to develop and hopefully Luka can mould into a handy fwd/ruck option.

That's an interesting point about being a ruck option.

Would make sense, as we need cover for JVR.

And Casey is desperate for a ruck, so perhaps rather than cutting g Jefferson's lunch the lurker can develop his ruck craft by being rhe number one ruck, who rests forward, for the rest of the year at Casey.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

35 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

At 19 we know big lads take time to develop and hopefully Luka can mould into a handy fwd/ruck option.

And Casey is desperate for a ruck, so perhaps rather than cutting g Jefferson's lunch the lurker can develop his ruck craft by being rhe number one ruck, who rests forward, for the rest of the year at Casey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Also a very talented cricketer and played lacrosse 

There seems to be multiple reports, some praising his agility and speed and others saying it's a weakness.

What's your thoughts?

• Like 1

I think Luker Kentfield makes good sense from a list management pov. We are currently going with 2 tall forwards (one a ruck/fwd) plus Fritsch and three tall backs.

BBB is done, TMac is close to the end despite his great season, Tomlinson has not been starting 22 and would find better opportunities elsewhere, and May is getting on.  Schache is not up to it. J.Smith is assumed done.

To maintain our current set up through the decade I think we can assume that JVR, Fritsch and Lever are there and that hopefully we can retain Petty who could play at either end. That means we need two of Turner, Jefferson, Adams, Verrall and now Kentfield to make it as KP.  Hore is useful intercepting depth and Fullarton may be depth only too.  Kalani White is coming through but any effective impact can't be expected until towards the end of the decade. I think we've increased our chances of success in this area and we needed to.

We can concentrate of drafting midfielders which is the easiest target to hit and look for a serviceable ruck through trade or FA.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Mickey said:

Interesting that a knock on him was his speed, but his agility seems quite good. With a bit of forward craft he might make up for a lack of speed

I can remember Cowboy Neale not having much speed, either. Plus, he played with an alleged 27% body fat. However, true or false, he did kick a heap of goals as part of a well-rehearsed St Kilda forward line. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, old55 said:

I think Luker Kentfield makes good sense from a list management pov. We are currently going with 2 tall forwards (one a ruck/fwd) plus Fritsch and three tall backs.

BBB is done, TMac is close to the end despite his great season, Tomlinson has not been starting 22 and would find better opportunities elsewhere, and May is getting on.  Schache is not up to it. J.Smith is assumed done.

To maintain our current set up through the decade I think we can assume that JVR, Fritsch and Lever are there and that hopefully we can retain Petty who could play at either end. That means we need two of Turner, Jefferson, Adams, Verrall and now Kentfield to make it as KP.  Hore is useful intercepting depth and Fullarton may be depth only too.  Kalani White is coming through but any effective impact can't be expected until towards the end of the decade. I think we've increased our chances of success in this area and we needed to.

We can concentrate of drafting midfielders which is the easiest target to hit and look for a serviceable ruck through trade or FA.

Exciting review ... there are combinations upon combinations for effectiveness in matches to come. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

I guess somebody had to be first!  :D

Think he lives on the second floor...

You might have seen him before....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I view this pick as a bit of insight into our plans for end of the season.

I think we all know Brown will be retiring and I think we will be delisting Schache. This will leave us with JVR, Petty, Fullarton, Jefferson, Turner & Kentfield as key forward depth.

I also expect Tomlinson to leave as a FA and I have a feeling McDonald will sign a 1 year contract, assuming he wants to go around again. If we do get Josh Battle as has been mentioned this would then leave us with May, Lever, McDonald, Adams & Battle as key back depth.

I then expect us to go hard at another midfielder or two, either through the draft or potentially trade/FA (LDU would be a dream).

Also, from what I read about the 2024 draft it seems to be absolutely stacked with midfielders so that is probably also in their planning.

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

Just in time for a kings birthday debut 

(kidding)

His nicname is "good"

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, old55 said:

Yes there's not a great deal of ready made midfield impact in my list of players but they could come in and enable Salem, Rivers or even McVee to run through there in addition to ANB and Pickett 

Absolutely. 100% agree. 

The fact they haven't felt the need to as of yet demonstrates they don't see our midfield as a big issue atm.

And they might even decide they have enough coverage in the middle - particularly if they think kolt can become a midfield gun

The reality is the game has changed. Teams now only need 3 elite mids. Ten years ago they needed 5 or 6. They now need 5 or 6 elite high half forwards, half backs or wingers who have elite endurance and speed. 

Which is why of course we used a critical top 10 draft pick (who knows when we will get another one?) on Windsor.

Look at the swans.  They have the best performing midfield atm built around three gun mids.

One of their starting mids last year, Luke Parker, has been kicking around in the magoos picking up 30 plus possessions and can't force his way into the side.

Because he is an absolute A grader  Mills will come back in when fit you'd think. But that will create a challenge fir them in terms of the mix of player types as they will he loathe to drop a runner. 

We have three A graders - oliver, tracc and viney.

Understandably given his interrupted preseasons, Oliver is not yet back to his best, though still performing well. In all likelihood he will get back to his best.

Even if one was available, is there any point chasing an A grader to trade in?

I don't think so. I reckon the go is to try and find a potential gun mid in the next draft. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

He seems like a nice kick as well, has scored 42.13 from his WAFL games. I hope we dont beat that accuracy out of him :(

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think sons of former players are under enough pressure without having the added burden of the same jumper number.

Funny but I and a lot of others were thinking 34 for Kalani White as well, however by the time Kalani joins our ranks there will be a few jumper numbers to choose from.😁

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Surely you can see we are experimenting with our midfielders and half-forwards in other roles against lowly opposition, to adjust the mix and provide greater flexibility?

It’s not because we don’t have any better starting mids; it’s about giving us options.

We are in no position to consider anyone as lowly opposition after the Eagles pulled our pants down.

I wish our supporters would stop this arrogance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

I guess somebody had to be first!  :D

The only surprise being that it took ‘til page five. 🙃

• Haha 3

Some people also forget that we may have an FA or younger on the hook for 2025, the club will also know Petty's intentions better than us, and will be drafting accordingly, as well as planning contingencies should things change.

I completely agree with @binman, surprise surprise, in that this year Luker is seen as the next in line for JVRs spot as KPF/2nd ruck. It will also give us cover for Petty if he goes down again.

As @old55 puts it, this list decision makes perfect sense from how we're looking at setting up. I'd also say it's spreading the "bet" across multiple players, rather than relying on too few to make it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1