CASEY: Rd 10 vs Coburg

28 minutes ago, old dee said:

Having watched a fair bit of that game I can say I now understand why we have picked a KPF/ some time ruckman. Those prospects are not it. Max was playing at senior level at their stage of development. 

JVR is so far superior in the ruck to Fullerton it's not funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kozzyisalegend said:

Already staying with tholstrup. They sort all this stuff out pre draft

Besides the fact they don't tell the player or broadcast the pick prior to the draft. 

Except when Judd's grandmother was going to host him when he came back to Melbourne.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

This.

Coburg were playing for each other. Enthusistic and up for a fight. I went to their huddle at 3/4 time because i was over Casey and they were imploring each other to celebrate goals and get around each other in moments that count.

Besides Kolt we were a team of individuals with little care for our teamates. I mean that in a team spirit way. AMW and Jeffo showed enough to give hope.

Very dissapointing. 

I'd be more positive if Gentile was on our list. Gave Laurie a footballing lesson.

Exactly. I was at the game and it was a game between a side that was committed and played for each other against a team who appeared to see the game as a job and had a number of fill-in players not up to VFL standard.

• Like 2

My thoughts 

AMW - Showed some spark today, when he got involved we often were able to move the ball into the f50 through the corridor. Reminds of Rivers, breaks lines, runs and carries and defends well in the air and on the ground. Ball use was not great but overall Casey did not function well as a team so my judgement is not harsh on him, he had little support. 

Howes - Really lacks intensity but had some moments. To be honest, i did not notice him until the 3rd quarter. 

Jed Adams - Puts his body on the line and had some big marks in defense today. 

Kynan / Sestan / Tholstrup - All 3 boys played a lot of time in the midfield but they're all half-forwards. Kolt showed the most out of the 3 today IMO. Would much prefer Kynan being stationed at HF to play the traditional ANB role. Horses for courses atm as the Casey midfield is bare. 

Jefferson - Looked strong, fast and aggressive today. Limited supply but i see the development. 

Laurie - Just not up to it. Very disappointing. 0 damage and he does not defend well. 

Verrel - Rucked okay, nothing notable. 

Fullarton - First time seeing him play in person and my worst fears were confirmed. He is allergic to contact. Did not see him affect an arial contest once. Great leap but often mistimed his jumps both in the ruck and when attempting to mark. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, DubDee said:

What’s the good word on AMW? he gets a lot of it but how are his positioning, tackling and decision making? they are the things that will get him a gig in the ones

could he realistically take someone’s place on the HB line, if so, who’s spot. 

thanks in advance for the insights

Commensurate with Casey's performance, so down a little on last weeks high personal performance mark. The naysayers will say his statistics were padded out by kickouts. Though Blake Howes appeared to be sharing that responsibility.

Casey backline were under a lot of pressure from Coburg. Centre clearances were going decisively one way, particularly after quarter time. So Andy was getting amongst it and was involved in repeated attempts to get the ball going the other way. Two memorable plays he was involved with led directly to Casey goals. One an unlikely extraction from a pack and a clean pass to Matthew Jefferson. The other an outrageous fend off, after gathering the bouncing ball at pace and a long handball which resulted in a footpass to Tom Fullarton, goal.

Both those plays showed he is gaining confidence and has the elusive "X" factor. IMHO he is the best uncapped MFC player running around at Casey. Where or when he gets his debut is dependent on him continuing in his current vein of form. The decision to play him in defence is sound, he is getting his hands on the ball a lot more. Plus his defensive game is getting plenty of opportunity to improve. I don't see his possible field position being limited to defence. As he is an attacking, creative player by nature.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

Besides the fact they don't tell the player or broadcast the pick prior to the draft. 

Except when Judd's grandmother was going to host him when he came back to Melbourne.

They provide a fair indication to each draftee, especially first rounders (especially mid season rookies) of where they will likely be picked, and if so, when they will be expected to fly over and start training. It's not like it's a massive surprise for first rounders to be picked

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

JVR is so far superior in the ruck to Fullerton it's not funny.

Sadly you are correct. That says a lot more about Fullarton than JVR. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, kozzyisalegend said:

A bit confused why luker isn't playing ? Assume he's injured as it's not great for development just letting him sit out of games

He's from WA and was added to our list 2 full days before this match. I think he can get a pass for not having shifted his life already!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

He's from WA and was added to our list 2 full days before this match. I think he can get a pass for not having shifted his life already!

As I said before. He would've been told he is a good chance to be drafted by Melbourne,  and if so that he'd be staying with koltyn. To not play him if he is fit is astounding 

Jacob blight is from peel and is currently playing for the Richmond 2s

Edited by kozzyisalegend
  • Facepalm 5

10 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

My thoughts 

AMW - Showed some spark today, when he got involved we often were able to move the ball into the f50 through the corridor. Reminds of Rivers, breaks lines, runs and carries and defends well in the air and on the ground. Ball use was not great but overall Casey did not function well as a team so my judgement is not harsh on him, he had little support. 

Howes - Really lacks intensity but had some moments. To be honest, i did not notice him until the 3rd quarter. 

Kynan / Sestan / Tholstrup - All 3 boys played a lot of time in the midfield but they're all half-forwards. Kolt showed the most out of the 3 today IMO. Would much prefer Kynan being stationed at HF to play the traditional ANB role. Horses for courses atm as the Casey midfield is bare. 

Jefferson - Looked strong, fast and aggressive today. Limited supply but i see the development. 

Laurie - Just not up to it. Very disappointing. 0 damage and he does not defend well. 

Fullarton - First time seeing him play in person and my worst fears were confirmed. He is allergic to contact. Did not see him affect an arial contest once. Great leap but often mistimed his jumps both in the ruck and when attempting to mark. 

I've really enjoyed watching Casey in the last few years but just haven't watched much this season.

The fact that it seems like AMW maybe the only one right now who could step into our AFL right now is quite disturbing.

In years gone past, you could see similar game plans and systems across both teams and a number of potential candidates pushing for selection.

Casey's performance this year is really setting alarm bells off for me

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I've really enjoyed watching Casey in the last few years but just haven't watched much this season.

The fact that it seems like AMW maybe the only one right now who could step into our AFL right now is quite disturbing.

In years gone past, you could see similar game plans and systems across both teams and a number of potential candidates pushing for selection.

Casey's performance this year is really setting alarm bells off for me

We've had a few players step in and surprise ala McVee and Rivers.

Adams could be the next. He has a physicality about him. He had someone try and sheppard him right in front of me and chose to run through him rather than around. The bloke was big and would have weighed more than him it was bone crunching.

He also took a really nice pack mark and nailed the subsequent kick really quickly.

I think he might transition well into AFL. He will play before Jeffo and Jeffo showed a bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In J.T we trust, good luck with that, players on multi year contracts are who clearly not up to AFL level.

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

@kozzyisalegend ... joins four hours ago, has eight posts in the same thread all potting our players or recruiting.

Anybody else getting a whiff of eau de troll?

Complaining about our pick #11 in the mid-season draft while in the same breath complaining that the WA kid isn't playing in our 18th-placed seconds two days later? Seems like your average Demonland poster to me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

My thoughts 

Verral after the first quarter was mostly bog ordinary both in the ruck and around ground.  His disposal is not even VFL worthy at this point.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MrFreeze said:

My thoughts 

What posters need to remember is Andy is direct from Darwin.

So no junior development pathway to speak of.

And defence is not part of the footy vocabulary up there.

And when he arrived he was like a stick with hair, similar to Jefferson who is also now beginning to look like an AFL player.

Because Andy had not settled into a position, which is the go in Darwin also, the club has had a blank canvas to work with

I believe in some closed training sessions he is thrown into the middle to give the AFL mids something different to look at.

Consistency is the key for him and he is beginning to show it in a team not travelling well.

As for the game Casey, which I watched live, were smashed at centre clearances and stoppages, too many got sucked in and Coburg got the ball out and were away.

Also the channelling back by the mids and fwds to support the defence was poor until the last qtr

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Too much hand wringing re Casey...it doesn't matter if we win VFL flags at this stage but it does matter that we develop players.

It seems Jeffo is coming along nicely and AMW is playing himself into contention.

Tholstrup will be ok, just a kid at the moment.

We've been 3 senior players down all year (Gus, Melk and Smith) and that really takes a toll, then add travel emergencies and general injuries and the team hasn't been able to settle.

We do have a ruck problem though and I'm sure the club know it.

Our 2 VFL guys are struggling at VFL level and are nowhere near AFL standard.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

Lies, Damm lies and statistics…

Frees Casey 21 v Coburg 18 

Howes, Tholstrup, AMW and Laurie the better performed MFC boys

AMW watch; 27 disposals at 75.9%, 8 intercepts possies, 7 marks, 3 tackles. Appeared to be sharing kick out duties with Blake Howes.

Mitch White best Casey player.

U must be joking Mitch White is THE KING OF TURNOVERS  Tholstrup similar, Bailey Laurie WONT MAKE IT, Sestan non existent, Fullarton FEEBLE, JEFFO, can arise from this rabble, coz he has a footy brain and skill set to match!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

On 29/05/2024 at 20:01, picket fence said:

COBURG? crikey played there a few times and faired well there once 5 goals, but shizzen the other times, preeek of a place!!

Played sub-district cricket there: got given out LBW and the bowler approached me after the game during 'drinks' and said,' Hey, sorry, that was a [censored] decision by the umpire...'

The next week - it was second 11 - my captain demoted me to number 9. I asked why he said, 'You had your chance last week'....

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Monbon said:

Played sub-district cricket there: got given out LBW and the bowler approached me after the game during 'drinks' and said,' Hey, sorry, that was a [censored] decision by the umpire...'

The next week - it was second 11 - my captain demoted me to number 9. I asked why he said, 'You had your chance last week'....

What a sheeit Captain I hope you played elsewhere??

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bluey said:

In J.T we trust, good luck with that, players on multi year contracts are who clearly not up to AFL level.

“Good luck with that”

What a sediment

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, picket fence said:

What a sheeit Captain I hope you played elsewhere??

Did. Before the Coburg game I'd made 39 against Preston, holed out when my mother appeared on the verandah of our house in Selwyn Street - home ground was Selwyn Park - to let me know I had to come home for my cousin's wedding. I'd made over 360 runs in the under 16's the year before - and opened the bowling - including top scores in both the Semi and Grand Finals, and because my Second 11 captain hated my guts, I batted at 9 or 10. I recall that a dude who'd made 41 runs for the season in the under 16's that same year - I made 41 not out in the second innings of the Semi - made a score in the 3rds and when Il Capitano put the batting order up against Williamstown, he was number 4 and I was number 10. He made SFA, I made 14 Not out...I quit. The next year I  rang Wildsmith the Coach of the club who did like me, when I heard they were short of players and said I'll come back if I play as a batsman. I top-scored in the first match as an opener in the seconds - my normal position - and spent the rest of pre Christmas in the Firsts. 

• Love 1
  • Clap 3

Squad 42.  23 seniors.
Missing - Hore, Spargo, Lever, Schache, JVR, Melksham, JS29

Unavailable due to travelling emergency - Billings, BBB

CASEY Missing - Hustwaite, Connolly

10 AFL LISTED PLAYERS

TODAYS SUMMARY - Overall beaten by players mixed between VFL and suburban league players    

backs
AMW - 👏👏as a rookie listed player, he showed up others with his run, contested footy and intensity. Should get a debut soon.  He's not perfect but very few are. 

Howes 🤨- has the style however not the intensity   Just an average performance. Casey again next week 

Jed Adams 🤔 young and developing. A keeper for the future imv and let’s give him another preseason to build up

midfield 

Laurie - 🥔completely AMAZED we extended his contract   I would delist him   Slow and tackles because he’s second to the contest 

forwards

Kynan Brown 🤔- a good honest scrapper. Not sure where he’s future lies   Tagged perhaps ?

Tholstrup -👍🏻 he’s got the goods and I see him as a rotating mid/half forward (not a pure mid) and will develop more with better opportunities.  

Sestan 👍🏻- had some good moments but overall lacks some athletic ability to play anywhere but half forward or deep forward. 

Jefferson 👍🏻-shows enough to persist.  Took 2-3 nice contested marks which needs to be his weekly standard.  Development still in Casey this year   

rucks 

Verrel - 🥶 have to persist. He’s young and needs time. Keep or not? Not sure 

Fullarton - 🥶he’s a basketballer playing footy. I thought he was better. Possibly delist if he’s on a year contract.  Worried about where he fits 

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, kallangurdemon said:

Wow that was painful to watch.Howes the only one who …….

.Mitch White is head and shoulders above any other Casey team member.

2 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

Lies, Damm lies and statistics…

Mitch White best Casey player.

Surely you 2 are taking the [censored]?

Sure, Mitch is a good midfield bull, but his disposal recently just [censored] me to tears.

90% of his possessions today either went directly to the opposition, or clean over the Casey’s players head, or at his feet. 

Either way, he is a liability in the middle  unless he can kick it long so that the turnover will not be in their (opp) forward half. Otherwise he should be doing a blocking role so that the other midfielders can run onto the ball.
There is absolutely no cohesion in the midfield atm. It’s looked like most of the midfielders are just letting the opp have front position to the hit zone. Then they are getting pushed under the drop zone, and it’s an easy take away for the opposition outside mids.

Also, Verral absolutely slaughtered their ruck today but was only given 30% time in the middle at best??? Guess they’re just trying to get Fullarton AFL ready with more responsibility in the middle.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, picket fence said:

U must be joking Mitch White is THE KING OF TURNOVERS  Tholstrup similar, Bailey Laurie WONT MAKE IT, Sestan non existent, Fullarton FEEBLE, JEFFO, can arise from this rabble, coz he has a footy brain and skill set to match!

Picket I'll take optimism and self-belief over cockamamie pessimism every time.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1