POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

42 minutes ago, Brownie said:

So who reckons Newman will get rubbed out for his elbow to ANBs jaw?

Late, left the ground. 

I reckon he'll get a fine. Because Carlton.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-scores-2024-carlton-blues-vs-melbourne-demons-round-9-updates-stats-video-how-to-stream-watch-news-blog/news-story/53a0904ddc0a2d7d0ca5e4062062263a

If Kossie got a week due to the potential for injury, then Newman should get the same.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

The lack of intensity in the first quarters of the Carlton and Brisbane games are worrying factors for me.

You'd think they’d be super pumped for these big games.

Were were switched on against the cats, but way off it against Blues and Lions.

They also had their pants pulled down out've the blocks by Grundy and the Swans in Rd 1.
Or was it Rd 0 ... I dunno .... Forking stupid.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Same thing as what happened in two of our three games prior.

Just dead said flat.

We need some sort of new motivation drill before games. We can't continue coming out so dozy.

Yeah it's just so strange. Can't be fatigue relative to the Blues, because we ran over them in the end, and they played 3 games in 13 days (like we did against the Lions - but they held up, whereas we didn't). 

We need to upgrade whatever psychologists we have on the payroll. We are a better team every day of the week. All between the ears.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, layzie said:

Would anyone be offended if i said that Carlton fans are braindead morons?

Only if it is a deliberate and studied understatement

• Clap 2

1 minute ago, leave it to deever said:

Tracca was a monster up fwd.

But I'm not sure if we can't afford to have him play there .

It's a tough call taking him away from our midfield.

I agree.  Having said that, Geelong are one of the lowest ranked teams for clearance etc - it's all about the slingshot on the rebound.  So if we have players in there that are prepared to win it if they can but their first priority is to ensure the other team doesn't get a clean centre clearance, then maybe it's less of a loss (he's obviously going to play a mix).

What I did like is that Goody the last few weeks has shown an ability to shake things up a bit to get the right mix.  Petracca forward is an obvious one.  But also getting ANB in the middle (maybe no one else has the tank to go with Walsh?) and his use of Langdon was different also.

Last week I noticed Fritsch was much higher up the ground for parts of the game.  This was probably about dragging his player away from being third man up - but it also meant that Fritsch delivered some kicks into the forward line and that is a strength you miss when he is playing deep (not saying he shouldn't play deep but it's good to be a bit less predictable).

• Like 1

I'm flat today but very proud of the team for hanging in there and nearly pinching it. Many years ago, after 6 goals to zip we would have lost by 100 points.

Bloody great effort with most of our forwards being in the bottom performers of the team. Trac excepted but to lose by a point and having no or little impact from Kozzie, Chandler, Fritta and JVR, in my mind tells me we are a very, very good team. Forwards will click one day. I hope!! 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Brownie said:

So who reckons Newman will get rubbed out for his elbow to ANBs jaw?

Late, left the ground. 

I reckon he'll get a fine. Because Carlton.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-scores-2024-carlton-blues-vs-melbourne-demons-round-9-updates-stats-video-how-to-stream-watch-news-blog/news-story/53a0904ddc0a2d7d0ca5e4062062263a

If he contacted the head it has to be a week, same principle as Pickett v Adelaide. Low actual contact upgraded to medium on potential to injure.

If he didn’t contact the head then it‘s nothing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, binman said:

This is where x score is useful.

I have zero doubt goody would have used it at quarter and half time to reinforce that the scoreboard didn't reflect the relative performance levels, and certainly not the effort levels.

It shows their kicking for goal, particularly early was brilliant- but anomalous.

Their set shots from say 40 are 50-50 chances.

Credit to them for kicking them, but once kicking for goal there's nothing we can do about their chances of kicking the goal.

In most circumstances they are something like 3.2 or 2.3 at quarter time and the game looks very different.

And our accuracy was bang on average.

Like the lions game, it wasn't a game we threw away because of innacracy. The lions and blues won because of their accuracy

Yes, we could point to bad misses, Petty comes to mind. But take that miss. On average that goal is still only kicked perhaps 70-75% of the time. 

For me the issue in terms of our kicking was the last kick inside 50, for most of the match, but particularly the first.

The game was actually pretty evenly balanced performance wise in the first 10 mins, but we butchered the ball going inside 50 - and credit to their defence, they were excellent- so had nothing to show for our efforts.

A couple of decent inside 50s and we get an early goal or two and the game looks different.

Respectfully disagree on the quarter time address. Listening to his press conference he seemed pretty filthy about our efforts in the contest at both ends of the ground in the 1st.  

As much as their goal kicking was (slightly) anomalous, our contest work was too and I'm sure he focused on what we can control. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

43 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I wasn't one of the people that complained about prime tv spots. I go to the games as opposed to watching them on TV so I couldn't care less what time slot we're on. I love Saturday afternoon footy which has become a TV dead zone.

The point I was making is that we clearly have an issue with Thursday night games given the record I quoted. If we have preparation issues heading into Thursday night games, I'd therefore be happy to not play in them.

Classic case of causation vs correlation.

Are we actually losing because of the timeslot? Or because the opponents were Sydney (away), Brisbane and Carlton, three sides we match up on poorly? And one game was humid and another rained?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

If Kossie got a week due to the potential for injury, then Newman should get the same.

Both practically identical. 

• Like 2

I am so bloody sick of dominating inside 50's and losing due to forward efficiency.

Over and over and over.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, deegirl said:

It’s amazing how there’s been almost zero mention in the media about us missing Gus

We need another  bog bodied mid urgently to allow Trac forward

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Such a hard loss to accept.

I mean because of our poor start. Just a point kicked and we draw but six goals zip is shocking. Plus they couldn't miss on a wet night.

And the umps giving blues frees like candy .

Then our fightback denied from us by umpires again.

Worst of all are the booing blues fans as if they were hard done by.

And then it's our talls fwd who were crushed.

Apart from Fritta and Kozzie who gets put in the middle we don't have a fwd line. The fact that Tracca went there and kicked five says our talls are totally lost.

Same old issue. Dominate the inside fifties and kick poorly ( compared to Carlton) at goal.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 4

For such dominance our club hasn’t been able to attract any gun fwds since the 21 flag, our window is closing and want win big games inc finals with our fwd set up, to walk away wit  1 flag is an under achievement 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, demon3165 said:

I wish he was but under pressure he just makes the wrong decision.

What? Like his brilliant pass to Max under pressure?

Sure, he makes some errors, I've been critical of him in the past, but he becoming a super damaging player with his run and carry, and his willingness to take on the corridor kick.

He's become one of our most important players for our new method IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Doug Reemer said:

No you dismissed the fact that I said our midfield plays like against Carlton they’ll make us pay up forward.

But again, you're missing the point I was making after the Richmond game. We didn't allow goals out the front of stoppage, we didn't allow them out the front of stoppage at all, so you're not comparing apples with apples.

The clearance numbers themselves don't necessarily tell you anything. If the team isn't winning clearance out the front of stoppage with little post clearance pressure, then we're in good shape behind the ball. But if our mids play like they did from centre clearances last night, we undermine our defence and open ourselves up.

Richmond game, Carlton game, completely different games.

How many goals from stoppage did Richmond score? And how many goals from stoppage did Carlton score?

That is your answer.

You seem to be going for a gotcha moment, but it isn't there. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

I am so bloody sick of dominating inside 50's and losing due to forward efficiency.

Over and over and over.

We haven't dominated 50s all year?

We played a different game style once it got wet, which was the right move, but we were 5 goals down already.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Buzzy said:

Over and over and over.

First time this has happened all year. 

We’ve been losing the inside 50 count most weeks to date. 

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Its our system / method. The extra is on defensive side of stoppage. 

Yes he is ?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Classic case of causation vs correlation.

Are we actually losing because of the timeslot? Or because the opponents were Sydney (away), Brisbane and Carlton, three sides we match up on poorly? And one game was humid and another rained?

Fair point about the oppo

Still, 1-6 (14% success rate) in our previous 7 Thursday night games when we have an overall 60% winning ratio during that time frame is a little interesting in my book.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

9 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

Agree. Roy (JVR) better stand up soon. I think he got more touches tonight than usual, but how long is a work in progress? 

It’s his second year. Perspective please. He’s a key position player. They take time. 

• Like 1

Makes last week's win over Geelong so important, and a valuable bit of insurance to mitigate last night.

If you told me we'd go 1-1 against Geelong and Carlton (with a 1 point loss) after our underwhelming fortnight against Brisbane and Richmond, I would've taken it. Two flip of the coins against premiership contenders is promising despite some issues we need to deal with.

We'll go in favourites against West Coast and St Kilda, and if we are to win both games we'll be 8-3, a win better than at the same point of round 11 2023, and on track for a 16 or 17 win season. To win both of these shouldn't be underestimated.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Kicking i50 during the first half was abominable.

Even the kick from Sparrow to Tracc for our first goal was appalling and was lucky the Carlton player went backwards expecting it to go over Traccs head.

Half time stats for our fwds were disgusting. Fritsch Petty kozzie didn't touch it. Disco with maybe 1

And Carlton kicking goals in the first 30 secs in the 1st, 3rd and last qtr. I mean WTF??

Cripps and Walsh cutting us to ribbons. We had the blueprint from Collingwood last week where they were both manhandled out of stoppages

We need a massive revup before each quarter. The team is basically asleep.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

We haven't dominated 50s all year?

We played a different game style once it got wet, which was the right move, but we were 5 goals down already.

It was wet from the opening bounce.

We won the i50 count in the 1st quarter.

12 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Nothing for the boys to be ashamed of as a result of that last quarter and their persistence in the third quarter beforehand. We know what happened, we know how it happened. 

Theres alot to be ashamed of. Couldn’t turn up for even 5-10 minutes in the first..