• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 07 vs Richmond

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

How can I enjoy a 7 goal win so little?

Horrible, horrible, horrible unpressured kicking. No reasonable excuse or reason. So much great turnover football at half back then trash kicking through midfield and into F50.

Petty? Looks disinterested and lacking intensity. Needs a Casey run to get his mojo back. Give me a clumsy ageing BBB. 

No way can we continue with Howes, Woewodin, Windsor, Howes and Laurie all in the same team. 

Another game where the best Dees midfield I have seen in my lifetime gets owned/equalled by an injured rebuilding one. Can't tell you how much I hate that.

Hats off to Lever, May, Gawn and Langdon. Well done Tuner and Fritsch for their cameos. Laurie impacted well when he came on. 

I'm not sure I agree with this mate, but why can we not continue with Howes, Woey, WIndsor and Laurie? I thought Woey struggled for most of the night and the jury is still out in general, but his intercept late in the game shows that he is slotting nicely into the back half and where he is supposed to be. 

High pressure early, he struggled, but let's give him some time. More VFL footy isn't going to improve that. He needs more AFL exposure and who would you play in place of Salem and Bowser? We need that extra small. For me it's Woey for now.

As for Windsor and Howes, they've been brilliant this season and did their jobs tonight.

Jury is out on Laurie too, but he was very handy when he came on.

Is it a lack of experience thing you're worried about?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

I think the theme at the moment and perhaps for the entire H & A season is developing and improving our rebound and forward half connection… tonight we had lots of “learnings” which will hopefully serve us well, and we doubled their score. 
All good.

Bring on the freak’n Cats. Bunch of front running wannabes.

Go Demons.

❤️🏆💙

I certainly thought that too.

For much of the game both teams had players behind the ball making long kicks down the line a poor option. We did a lot of short kicking and then tried to centre it. We stuffed that up many times. Because of these  skill errors most of the goals scored against us seemed to come from turnovers when we were caught outnumbered in defence. We could have kept Richmond to half of their measly score had we played more conservatively. 

The tagging of Trac is a concern if other teams take it up and we don't have Oliver & Viney stepping up. Trac got better in the second half but was clearly rattled in the first. M Picket played a very good game. Hopper doing his hammy helped us win back the midfield.

I think that the period from now until the bye is still the experimentation phase until we settle on what our best side is in the last part of the season. We've banked early wins. We have Geel, Carl, WCE, Stk, Freo and Coll before the bye. We should be aiming (and be happy with) 4/6 but 3/6 will be fine if we can learn what our best 23 looks like.

I think we need to stick with Petty as a forward for a few more games, as poor as he seemed today, before we send him to Casey. I'm not sure when/if we should give up on the experiment but he was a very good defender. We're going to need top class defenders when May eventually retires.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

over double their score

professional win

second half we were clearly the superior side

Rubbish 3 goals in the first half against a VFL side was woeful 

I didn't think it was our best game but still very happy to win. Would rather that at this point of the year.

Having said that this is no time to be coming on here if all people are going to do is self gloss and make themselves look real positive by putting others down. Be nice 

• Like 1

A reminder that we’ve looked a million bucks early in 2022 and 2023 and it amounted to absolutely nothing in the end. 
This is a long season and banking wins now is more important than being the best side in it. 

• Like 8

With Bowser, MacAdam and Melky to be back into contention for AFL inclusion over coming weeks (months), the pressure for spots will grow and improve us. 

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Billy said:

Rubbish 3 goals in the first half against a VFL side was woeful 

and the dominant second half made a difference

yze is a smart coach - doing to dees what he did to the swans a few weeks back and dragging it down into the trenches and turning it into a slog

the difference is the bloods lost and we...doubled their score, and kept them to under 50 points

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, PaulRB said:

With Bowser, MacAdam and Melky to be back into contention for AFL inclusion over coming weeks (months), the pressure for spots will grow and improve us. 

And Salem

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gunna’s said:

Interesting Kozzie saying they worked their “@%$3” off at training. 

Fatigue looked like a feature of the game. Looking forward to seeing them run ON TOP of the grass. 

Almost like we're targeting the next two games and not tonight's game against a cellar dweller, injury depleted opponent.

Thanks for that pick up. Completely agree too. 

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

?

Three of their five goals came from TMac turnovers from memory, but yeah, TMac isn't coming out of this team.

1 hour ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

I just came here to say @Mel Bourne told yas all! Absolutely bang on the money . 

871F72D8-159C-45E8-AD8B-2C0726787B26.thumb.png.8e6910ec7a72badcb0b69f6875a14144.png

I want to like this and laugh at it. Excellent prediction. What do you have for us next round?

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

I would have thought chandler would have been subbed out instead of Windsor 

The AFL ap said Windsor was injured. Can anyone confirm this?

• Like 2

What are the thoughts on Nankervis? This was one of the rare guys who would make things difficult for Gawn in the past but Maxy took the honours with ease tonight. 

Wonder if the captaincy is weighing on him a bit, then again this is probably a question for Richmondland.

1 minute ago, layzie said:

What are the thoughts on Nankervis? This was one of the rare guys who would make things difficult for Gawn in the past but Maxy took the honours with ease tonight. 

Wonder if the captaincy is weighing on him a bit, then again this is probably a question for Richmondland.

He looked cooked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DemonOX said:

Boys played like the ball was a cake of soap and the turnovers were atrocious. 

If we play like that against Geelong and the blues we will get smashed. 

Need a massive improvement to be a chance of winning the next 2 weeks. 

Despite how bad we played we still won. 

Go Dees

Carlton beat practically the same side by 5 points and despite only losing one game by less than a kick still have a worse percentage than us.

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Carlton beat practically the same side by 5 points and despite only losing one game by less than a kick still have a worse percentage than us.

The crows have won one game.

• Like 1

I was at the game and certainly did not enjoy the first half but always felt we would come out firing in the 2nd half. There were some terrible errors but in the end we got the job done and I’m happy with banking the win.

I was watching Clarrie when that dog Pickett gave him a slap in the guts behind play. Definitely caught him unawares and would have hurt like hell. Hope they throw the book at him - they probably won’t however. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What happened with the Marlon Pickett/Oliver incident? Just saw Oliver down on his haunches and Viney remonstrating with Pickett but of course no replay on the screen - anything on the TV for those playing at home?

It was a light blind-side gut-punch, maybe caught a rib, off the ball. Clarry went down and will get accused of overplaying it once again. But people don't appreciate that those hits to the mid-section can hurt if unexpected/unbraced. A couple people laughed at my previous post on the matter. I like contact football. There's nothing tough though about swinging an arm into anyone when they are just standing there. Deliberately punching someone should be an automatic suspension in my opinion, whatever the outcome. It's not related to football. 

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

Had the pleasure to go to the game, a once in a blue moon for me.

Gee, it was frustrating to watch the first half, real arm wrestle, I guess with Yze and McQualter swapping camps it was bound to be harder to take down each other and was riddled with many mistakes. We gave their 3 first half goals by bad turnovers in the middle of ground and returned to bombing it in long in our 50.

2nd half lowered the eyes a bit more and cleared the 50 and went down the middle a bit more. What a move having Disco forward! He had a good mixture of moving into right space, leading and beating his opponent and was smart with disposal, kicked crucial goals and setting up a Fritsch goal - I thought he was deserving of the Frank Checker Hughes medal. Good to see maligned Laurie get on the end of a few goals. So happy for Turner and Laurie!

Defense was incredible, so many marks between Lever, May, Howes, Rivers, McDonald.

Kozzy and Nibs chased and corralled all night, Windsor and Lingers ran hard all game.

Love the bloke, but Petty looks way off, might need a spell to get some confidence and form for Casey.

Gritty and grinding win. Keep banking the points and keep working away to build continuity and momentum.

Go Dees! 

• Like 5

Sunday 30 July 2023. Round 20.

Eleven games ago.

That was last time we kicked 10 goals in a  second half.

Coincidentally, or perhaps not, thst game was also against the tigers.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

OK I admit when I saw Laurie in the team I thought oh great. But he was great as a sub. Came on, made an impact & kicked 2 goals. 

On the radio after the game lever said at half time all ge could do was laugh because he'd never see us kick so badly. Glad he was amused. But I thought at 1/2 time Goodwin would get us back on track.

Can I just say a credit to our backline for keeping Shai Bolton under control & not really letting him impact the game 

Did anyone else see Lever give Windsor an absolute spray? Was it in the third I think? Lever had marked the ball around half back and wasn't at all happy with Windsor's positioning on the southern side wing/HB but I couldn't understand why. He really let him know about too following up with him after the ball left the area.

Mind you there was a lot of obvious frustration from players all night remonstrating after poor execution. I'm glad they were able to laugh it off at half time. I did notice some smiles in the huddle when they came back on the ground before the third.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Reemer said:

We had our worst 22 or loss the round prior.

Followed by our worst 43 pt win the next week.

Any danger of winning a centre clearance? Or any clearances at all?

Why? We're 5 and 2, and it has little to do with centre clearance numbers...

59 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What happened to our forward pressure? It was a staple of our game in 2021 and seems miles away now. I get we are playing a different style but we still shouldn't be letting teams waltz it out with ease.

We're trying to cause turnovers on the wing, so I don't think we care too much about defending high in the field unless we a protecting a lead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

We're trying to cause turnovers on the wing, so I don't think we care too much about defending high in the field unless we a protecting a lead.

Yes but you would think some better forward pressure would help as well causing poorer opposition kicks/disposal out of the backline which results in the turnovers on the wings. I do think its coming out too easily and too cleanly far too often. But part of that is playing a taller forward line as well.

Edited by Young Blood

54 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Can I just say a credit to our backline for keeping Shai Bolton under control & not really letting him impact the game 

McVee was excellent on him whenever he looked dangerous.

How bloody good is Judd? 😍

Love our backline.

• Like 4
  • Love 1