NON-MFC: Round 06

8 minutes ago, danielE288 said:

I've got all bases covered, obviously going incognito, so no fear of being singled out.

Power it is, NEVER TEAR US APART!

Let’s not get carried away now. 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

But 3 in 13 is one game almost every 7 days, which is the norm. I just don't see how one less day over two weeks results in what we saw on the park that night.

You can't look at that in isolation. Compare the team we played against, who were coming off a bye and then playing a dead rubber against North.

We had back to back away games, both very tough contested games that went down to the wire. Brisbane had a week off, and then played a game that was over at quarter time. 

In a competition as even as ours, that is a massive advantage! 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, danielE288 said:

I'm heading along to the Pies Power game tommorrow, (I know, wish me luck) Not usually one to attend non MFC games but with a weekend bye, I'm gonna do it.. Torn against who I want to win however, one the one hand Collingwood hatred says, anytime Collingwood lose is a positive, on the other hand a Power win puts a gap between us and them... help me please

I'm off to the game too given we have a bye and I'm an AFL member.

It's far too early to ladder watch so I reckon we go for Port and leave Collingwood reeling at 2-4. They'd have to then go 14-3 to make top 4.

Have no interest in hearing that obnoxious Collingwood chant tomorrow. Hearing it at Gather Round after their poor win against Hawthorn was plenty enough.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It's far too early to ladder watch so I reckon we go for Port and leave Collingwood reeling at 2-4. They'd have to then go 14-3 to make top 4.

Have no interest in hearing that obnoxious Collingwood chant tomorrow. Hearing it at Gather Round after their poor win against Hawthorn was plenty enough.

All valid points, that chant is absolutely nauseating.. I'm also in the AFL members, going solo so if you're up for a chat, give me a shout.

3 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Cant figure out if you are taking the [censored]. But to simplify this for all those concerned, if a team was to play every Sunday, at the conclusion of their third game they would have played 3 games in 14 days. 

Our first 6 games were:

1: Thursday
2: Sunday
3: Saturday
4: Saturday
5: Thursday
6: Thursday

So our breaks between games were 10 days; 6 days; 7 days; 5 days; 7 days. This is an average of 7 days breaks in the first 6 rounds. 

What i will correct is that we have played 3 games in 12 days (not 13, which is what i and others have quoted). Making fatigue a more relevant factor but again, ill maintain that we have had sufficient recovery across the first 6 rounds. The 5 day break would have been a more relevant factor coming into the Adelaide game.  

I see what you mean now @Gawndy the Great. Thanks for clarifying.

FWIW, I pay a fitness guru to train me twice a week. Sometime we fit in three sessions a week. The third session really takes its toll when I front up to the first session of the following week (hope that makes sense). Or to say it another way, I do not train with the same intensity level on the Monday of the second week, if I've trained three session in the first week. So I can see how clubs with extra loading as @binman alludes to sometimes can really struggle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danielE288 said:

I'm heading along to the Pies Power game tommorrow, (I know, wish me luck) Not usually one to attend non MFC games but with a weekend bye, I'm gonna do it.. Torn against who I want to win however, one the one hand Collingwood hatred says, anytime Collingwood lose is a positive, on the other hand a Power win puts a gap between us and them... help me please

Port every time @danielE288. Five good reasons:

1. Hinkley's not a bad bloke (even though his pres is a complete @#$%).
  2. Who doesn't like Trav Boak?
  3. If we finish top two and they finish third or fourth, we pull their pants down in the first week of the finals at the Temple.
  4. Filth sitting 2/6 is a delight to behold.
  5. And any result the AFL doesn't like is the result I do like.
Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

that's because it's used for the easter show

hence why they have home games in canberra during this time 

Oh right, I didn’t know that. 

Do you happen to know how that works? As in, does the afl sign off on that or is that the Giants decision? Do the giants get money to agree to it?

1 minute ago, BoBo said:

Do you happen to know how that works? As in, does the afl sign off on that or is that the Giants decision? Do the giants get money to agree to it?

The oval is the showgrounds oval. GWS rent it for a fee so those weeks they don't pay rent.

The Prize Bulls take over

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

You can't look at that in isolation. Compare the team we played against, who were coming off a bye and then playing a dead rubber against North.

We had back to back away games, both very tough contested games that went down to the wire. Brisbane had a week off, and then played a game that was over at quarter time. 

In a competition as even as ours, that is a massive advantage! 

It's the compound effect of the two grueling away games in a 5 day period that got us (One of them was very warm from memory too?). A 9 day break from that would have been much needed. 

Having said that after the bye I don't want to hear it again. 

Edited by layzie
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, layzie said:

It's the compound effect of the two grueling away games in a 5 day period that got us (One of them was very warm from memory too?). A 9 day break from that would have been much needed. 

Having said that after the bye I don't want to hear it again. 

i expect we'll suffer from fatigue against the baggers on a thursday nite...

- 13 days til Richmond
- then ⁠10 til cats
- then ⁠5 til baggers
- ⁠then 10 til meth coke

having a 5 day gap between geelong and carlton match-ups is particularly strange imo

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

- 13 days til Richmond
- then ⁠10 til cats
- then ⁠5 til baggers
- ⁠then 10 til meth coke

having a 5 day gap between geelong and carlton match-ups is particularly strange imo

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Keeping the powder dry for the baggers. 

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

1. And any result the AFL doesn't like is the result I do like.

Definitely this. 

I can't wait for a non MFC Grand Final to just be GWS v Fremantle and really cheese everyone off. 

• Haha 1

People can’t decide if they want the Pies or Port to lose?

Watch our final last year against the Pies if you need help

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 3

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree. I am also going to see the Pies go down. If they're looking good at the 20 minute mark last quarter, I'm outta there.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, binman said:

Shocking performance, for which there is no excuse.

Huh :) that counters your entire treatise - I'd reword it -

Shocking performance, for which there is not but  an excuse but a reason.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

- 13 days til Richmond
- then ⁠10 til cats
- then ⁠5 til baggers
- ⁠then 10 til meth coke

Yes, but doctored for a reason?

Or failing my cynicism, if not that, fatigue won't be mentioned by the AFL sanctioned media, when Carton (and I suspect they will) win comfortably.... and then we get in the death spiral comments of 'our season is over' 'we're not really a contender' - 'Is Goodwin the Right Guy (tm)' hand wringing... which makes sense, because it's anxiety provoking, and failing to take on board the context of each teams training, matches and other load/fatigue (can I join these together??) related factors...just looking at pure outcomes without understanding the relationship to why the outcomes occurred in the way the occurred, because you know EO, it's a [censored] outcome industry.

I'm already emotionally accepting that Carlton will win... and that's ok - it's not relevant to finals - but geez, it feels like it should eh!

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Huh :) that counters your entire treatise - I'd reword it -

Shocking performance, for which there is not but  an excuse but a reason.

Edit completed:

Even factoring in the fatigue it was a shocking performance.

Edited by binman

The two big boys in Carltons forward line have stayed fit and healthy for quite a few weeks now///

• Shocked 1

This article is the perfect example of my point about the impact of fatigue being ignored in analysis.

It's nuts that this article doesn’t even mention fatigue as a possible factor.

The swans' pressure has dropped off. That supposedly the key reason for their drop off. But stats are symptoms not cause.

Fatigue may not be a factor, but surely it's worth asking the question:

Bloods run cold: What's slowed the Swans down?  https://www.afl.com.au/news/1110621

• Thanks 1