Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

Demonland

On 04/08/2024 at 03:57, WalkingCivilWar said:

Oh ffs must you weave club-bashing into every single [censored] topic?! The club didn’t ‘stuff up.’ Gus was offered everything under the sun for our first home match, round one vs the Dogs. He declined everything. He was already struggling to process and accept the fact that his career was cruelly cut short.

He accepted the GameDay role. It was his choice. He thought he could handle it but after giving it a go he realised he just couldn’t bear it. Plus the inability to tolerate loud noise prevented him from doing it anyways.

The fact remains is that all that was offered was far too soon for Gus. 

Perhaps it should have concluded at the time with the. Moment let us know if you are ready or change your mind. No hurry or pressure.

And that’s not bring critical  to any one as we all know and handle grief completely differently. 
That’s why an open answer covered all bases. 

Be interesting to see if Gus accepts the AFL invite to the motorcade of retirees at the Finals? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macca said:

Those who follow the league closely (I don't) could probably put forward a few names that we could possibly trade for

Draftees?  Identifying 2 similar types is difficult when considering how under 18 footy is played

Or we change our style of play to accommodate players with different skillsets? 

Looking and finding for those two specific role replacements would be a task for sure.

No harm in trying but we also probably need to consider the change in style aspect.

Skill set is also badly lacking this season.  Big attention needed in the off here.

The FD (Lamb etc) meed to ensure anyone we recruit is tough over the ball but also skilled with ball in hand from here on.  Since 2021 we seem to have picked up too many hackers.  Speed & agility on the ball also muchly needed.

Then there's the ever illusive (for us) tall dangerous KFwhich the MFC never seem to land.  JVR might eventually get there.  Even Turner.  But JVR needs to go to another level in 2025 imho.  Not having him play a part time ruck role in the middle might help also.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

I'm so angry.

The worst cycle of feelings there is - horror, anger, hopelessness.

The last is the one that continues to erode my love of the game. The sense that there just isn't any point trying to make things right.

It is wrapped up in all the incompetencies, injustices and favouritism that sloshes around in the AFL system.

• Like 10
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Looking and finding for those two specific role replacements would be a task for sure.

No harm in trying but we also probably need to consider the change in style aspect.

Skill set is also badly lacking this season.  Big attention needed in the off here.

The FD (Lamb etc) meed to ensure anyone we recruit is tough over the ball but also skilled with ball in hand from here on.  Since 2021 we seem to have picked up too many hackers.  Speed & agility on the ball also muchly needed.

Then there's the ever illusive (for us) tall dangerous KFwhich the MFC never seem to land.  JVR might eventually get there.  Even Turner.  But JVR needs to go to another level in 2025 imho.  Not having him play a part time ruck role in the middle might help also.

Yes, the fill-in players we've recruited over the last 3 or so years just hasn't worked ... we might have been better off taking 1 or 2 chances in the draft in each of the last 3 years with some speculation picks

Yet, we did recruit Kentfield (18yo) in the mid season draft so maybe we've changed tack and gone down the project player path.  Kentfield needs time

Raw talent and a good dose of development can unearth a gem or 2 with those spec picks. The strike rate may not be high but recruiting older, NQR types may not deliver any gems

However, trading for proven talent using draft picks is fine ... May, Lever, Brown, Melksham, Hibberd, Langdon etc etc have all been fruitful

Recruiting is not an easy task and there's a fair bit of luck involved but if we're looking to pick up experienced players, those players really should be best 15 at the club that they play for (best 22 is a bit too vague for my liking) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm so angry.

The worst cycle of feelings there is - horror, anger, hopelessness.

The last is the one that continues to erode my love of the game. The sense that there just isn't any point trying to make things right.

It is wrapped up in all the incompetencies, injustices and favouritism that sloshes around in the AFL system.

My feelings about the whole sorry episode have slowly disapated as the year has gone on.  I'm still angry and disillusioned but less so

It will never reach total forgiveness but at some stage I'll move on.  But I'm a great believer that [censored] things happen to [censored] people (eventually) so the thug will get his right whack one day

One of the first decisions that Dillon & Kane had to make and they failed miserably (not appealing) Normally I'll give anyone a second chance but such is my disdain for how the league gets run in a general sense, both of them I look upon as complete failures (ongoing) 

I'm a Demon supporter who doesn't support the AFL (if that makes sense)

So I only watch Demon games with the odd cursory glance at the other games (I might watch the finals but without much real interest)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 4

@Macca the whole thing proved to me that karma doesnt exist in football. it doesnt matter how much of a thug you are, how hard you work etc. if youre a thug you will win. you will be rewarded. see ess 2000, collingwood last year. hell, i dont know why a team doesnt knock half another team out in a grand final. theyd win on the day and miss the first few rounds (who cares, right?). 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, 58er said:

The fact remains is that all that was offered was far too soon for Gus. 

Perhaps it should have concluded at the time with the. Moment let us know if you are ready or change your mind. No hurry or pressure.

And that’s not bring critical  to any one as we all know and handle grief completely differently. 
That’s why an open answer covered all bases. 

Be interesting to see if Gus accepts the AFL invite to the motorcade of retirees at the Finals? 

…. Or if he attends the B&F in October. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

56 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

…. Or if he attends the B&F in October. 

That's the thing @WalkingCivilWar. It sounds like it's hard for Gus to get anywhere near getting back to a normal life in general.

It's been horrible for the club because he could still have a coaching role (or similar) and of course you'd offer it to him sooner than later. 

I'm sure it would have been framed in "when you're feeling ready".

But, it's possible that he may never be able to contribute to the club he loves.

Even more importantly, is the personal impact this is probably having for Gus and his family on the joys of everyday life.

It's a contact sport and there will always be risks. 

The lack of natural justice and ongoing personal impact is a real tragedy.

Our final game against the pies might be the last footy I watch this year.

Stuff the AFL

• Like 4
  • Angry 1

Just now, Brownie said:

That's the thing @WalkingCivilWar. It sounds like it's hard for Gus to get anywhere near getting back to a normal life in general.

It's been horrible for the club because he could still have a coaching role (or similar) and of course you'd offer it to him sooner than later. 

I'm sure it would have been framed in "when you're feeling ready".

But, it's possible that he may never be able to contribute to the club he loves.

Even more importantly, is the personal impact this is probably having for Gus and his family on the joys of everyday life.

It's a contact sport and there will always be risks. 

The lack of natural justice and ongoing personal impact is a real tragedy.

Our final game against the pies might be the last footy I watch this year.

Stuff the AFL

Oh for sure, Brownie. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear he won’t be participating in any capacity anytime soon, or at all.

I’d love to see him attend the B&F for one reason and one reason only, that being that he’s clearly ready to try to embrace some Club participation. If he attends and is comfortable doing so that’s an uplifting sign.

We just want him to be happy and healthy regardless of how that’s achieved. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

Gus is battling to live a normal life and our players shook Maynards hand.. makes me sick tbh 

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Like 12
  • Clap 2
  • Vomit 2

17 hours ago, Macca said:

You may be too young to remember but we once had a top line midfielder in Laurie Fowler* who played his role (ruck rover) in a very similar way to Gus

He was hard at it, tackled hard, had very good defensive skills and got heaps of the ball.  Our coach at the time (Bobby Skilton) put Fowler into the middle as our centreman, Greg Wells, wasn't renowned for his defensive skills (although Wells was a dynamic attacking midfielder)

Laurie won 3 Bluey's and was a coaches dream

I can imagine that the person who misses Gus the most is Goodwin

*Laurie also played as a back pocket and will also be remembered as the player who shirt-fronted John Nicholls in the 1973 GF (playing for Richmond)

I think I am too young for that, not that I am young, but I'll take it :)

Sounds like a good setup though!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Macca said:

I'm a Demon supporter who doesn't support the AFL (if that makes sense)

So I only watch Demon games with the odd cursory glance at the other games (I might watch the finals but without much real interest)

Good summary.  That's exactly how i see things now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, biggestred said:

@Macca the whole thing proved to me that karma doesnt exist in football. it doesnt matter how much of a thug you are, how hard you work etc. if youre a thug you will win. you will be rewarded. see ess 2000, collingwood last year. hell, i dont know why a team doesnt knock half another team out in a grand final. theyd win on the day and miss the first few rounds (who cares, right?). 

Another great post and i've often thought the same thing.

The AFL obviously don't care either otherwise there would've been a red card system brought in many years ago.

You knock a player out you also miss the rest of that match with the total weeks off also in synch with concussion protocols (or longer depending on the injury eg; fractured cheek bone, jaw etc).

7 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

If Gus is having trouble coping with loud noises he won’t be attending any AFL functions at all

I have the same issue during quarter and half time breaks...

The Grinch GIF by NBC

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Maxime horribilis (by far) for Angus, but an annus horribilis footballii for the Brayshaws generally...

Edited by Timothy Reddan-A'Blew
  • Sad 1

I’ve just read this … at the bottom of the email re: this weeks AFLW side announcement that Gus will be attending the B&F to say thank you and farewell 

I wish I could be there in person to say thank you to him!! ❤️💙

• Like 2
  • Love 7

39 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I’ve just read this … at the bottom of the email re: this weeks AFLW side announcement that Gus will be attending the B&F to say thank you and farewell 

I wish I could be there in person to say thank you to him!! ❤️💙

First time I've really wanted to be at a B&F. Want to tell Nibbler how much I've always appreciated the post-goal hug patrol he clearly takes very seriously, and Angus, well, he shall remain my favourite footballer.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 15/08/2024 at 13:23, Demon Dynasty said:

Another great post and i've often thought the same thing.

The AFL obviously don't care either otherwise there would've been a red card system brought in many years ago.

You knock a player out you also miss the rest of that match with the total weeks off also in synch with concussion protocols (or longer depending on the injury eg; fractured cheek bone, jaw etc).

Another AFL fix aside from the fixture is the one man MRO - Christian (Collingwood) nothing to see here in Maynard takes out Brayshaw and he already had a couple of other shots prior in the first ten minute's of the game.

Then Kossi immediately gone 3 weeks via MRO as Moore goes low creating half the problem!

Total BS one person does MRO, at least he should be replaced on Collingwood games, as he is biased, even if subconsciously!

1 hour ago, D4Life said:

Another AFL fix aside from the fixture is the one man MRO - Christian (Collingwood) nothing to see here in Maynard takes out Brayshaw and he already had a couple of other shots prior in the first ten minute's of the game.

Then Kossi immediately gone 3 weeks via MRO as Moore goes low creating half the problem!

Total BS one person does MRO, at least he should be replaced on Collingwood games, as he is biased, even if subconsciously!

It would be great to see change but nothing will change while the bulk of clubs, including ours, continue to roll over, say nothing and happily stay on their gravy train.

Morals, eithics and doing the right thing stopped being part of the culture within the VFL / AFL many decades ago.

If you're in the circus and want to stay in the circus you can't be seen or heard to rock the boat.  You'll just end up being punished and / or shown the door.  Not many have the guts or gumption to rebel against this across the board.

Some clubs do have more clout than others though.  I was hoping we might become one of them but haven't seen any signs that we might so far.  Although Kate and Co. did have one minor win in avoiding yet another trip down to Tax Payer Park for the first time in a long time this season (against the AFL's wishes).

We were still punished though with a fairly tricky fixture including a number of 5 day breaks.

The AFL is a harsh ring master unless you are on their preferred 'marquee clubs' list.

2 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

It would be great to see change but nothing will change while the bulk of clubs, including ours, continue to roll over, say nothing and happily stay on their gravy train.

Morals, eithics and doing the right thing stopped being part of the culture within the VFL / AFL many decades ago.

If you're in the circus and want to stay in the circus you can't be seen or heard to rock the boat.  You'll just end up being punished and / or shown the door.  Not many have the guts or gumption to rebel against this across the board.

Some clubs do have more clout than others though.  I was hoping we might become one of them but haven't seen any signs that we might so far.  Although Kate and Co. did have one minor win in avoiding yet another trip down to Tax Payer Park for the first time in a long time this season (against the AFL's wishes).

We were still punished though with a fairly tricky fixture including a number of 5 day breaks.

The AFL is a harsh ring master unless you are on their preferred 'marquee clubs' list.

Unfortunately bigger supporter base clubs = FIXture = more money for AFL!

Demons had our great period mid 50s - 64, twenty years too early!

Edited by D4Life
Extra point

6 hours ago, DubDee said:

When is the BnF?

Would be great for Gus to feel the love from the club. He is a MFC Champion and always will be.

He will go down in club folklore if for nothing else than helping to turn the 2021 GF with some outstanding acts in the 3rd quarter.

I can't believe we have to cop his salary, when will this club grow a backbone and stand up to the AFL?

• Like 3