2024 Preseason Training Thread

WERRIDEE

On 08/01/2024 at 18:27, 58er said:

Results however will tell the tale of Casey being the major training ground with about 20 advantages over Goschs In our drought breaking 2021 premiership. 

The facilities at Casey recently only upgraded are second to none for professional footballers and not just a field made out of open space like Casey.

And the size of the ground and its surface plus dimensions of the MCG which no doubt assists our AFL boys adjust to training and moves on the same size. 

About the only advantage of Goschs is location which some Club supporters allow to blinker judgement on Casey for any little event that is played or held let alone the historic playing home ground advantage to both the AFL and VFL teams.

An hours drive into the country was the privilege of our immortal 2021  heroes and could well be again in 2024 if we lift the flag again. 

Yes it would be nicer if we could actually gain admission to the ground to watch our heroes on occasions. Mr Picket excluded also unfortunately. 

Watching training at Casey is much better than Gosh's as far as seeing goes when they open the gates (maybe I should say if ever).   It's banked all the way around and a small grandstand, so you can see both sides of the ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

I reckon he could.

Sestan has some real x factor about him and like Mcvee, who is another Taylor special, his point of different is his foot skills. But like Mcvee needs an AFL tank and body - which he looks like he is working on.  

Sestan has the ability to kick those across the body on the 45 kicks that players like Daniel, Miers, Guthrie, Crisp and Nick Daicos are so good at hitting.

With all teams employing zones and and all team defence having players with that skill has become increasingly important to cut through congestion and find free players. 

He's clearly giving himself an opportunity to succeed. It'd be a great story if he debuted this year. 

• Like 3

On 02/01/2024 at 22:57, WalkingCivilWar said:

Training resumes on Monday, January 15th at Gosch’s. 

I was just told training won’t be at Gosch’s until after the Aus Open ends. Sorry for the misinformation. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I was just told training won’t be at Gosch’s until after the Aus Open ends. Sorry for the misinformation. ☹️

Then I hope they are going to open up Casey for some sessions.

...it's the least they can do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Bummer!! eh MCW.

Huge bummer. Casey sucks. 

• Like 1

On a cheerful note on this otherwise gloomy morning. Any folk walking their dogs around a cyclone fence at a distant suburban ground this morning?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Tarax Club said:

On a cheerful note on this otherwise gloomy morning. Any folk walking their dogs around a cyclone fence at a distant suburban ground this morning?

A friend of mine was there and said there’s a grand total of seven spectators. 

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

No Clarry according to Xander McGuire on Twitter. Probably planned he wasn't there.

Clarry on extended leave. I think we need to plan around him not being in the team for quite a while, I hope this is not too extended, but I'm not that hopeful🤯

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 58er said:

IYO.

Fantastic  facility and just because it’s not near your BACK DOOR you can’t be bothered with it. 

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with its proximity to mine. I’ve done the six-hour round trip on public transport numerous times and would be happy to *continue doing so if it was a good ground FOR SPECTATORS, but it’s not. There’s seating for only 300 people, and that’s in the sole stand which is reserved for players’ families and friends. So effectively, zero seating. There’s no protection from the gale force winds. There’s not a nearby train station. There’s no shops and/or pubs, eateries nearby. And the biggest problem is that spectators can’t get close enough to watch training. Therefore, for spectators… it sucks.

*that said, I’ll continue to make the trek there for our W matches, especially since the girls hate playing there and would sooner play at Ikon. Having a decent crowd makes it less sh!ttty for them. 

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with its proximity to mine. I’ve done the six-hour round trip on public transport numerous times and would be happy to *continue doing so if it was a good ground FOR SPECTATORS, but it’s not. There’s seating for only 300 people, and that’s in the sole stand which is reserved for players’ families and friends. So effectively, zero seating. There’s no protection from the gale force winds. There’s not a nearby train station. There’s no shops and/or pubs, eateries nearby. And the biggest problem is that spectators can’t get close enough to watch training. Therefore, for spectators… it sucks.

*that said, I’ll continue to make the trek there for our W matches, especially since the girls hate playing there and would sooner play at Ikon. Having a decent crowd makes it less sh!ttty for them. 

I tend to agree... Its actually only a 45 min drive for me coming from the other direction...a good 60K...  Tbh....I'm never tempted to spend the petrol on it...   Not to peer through cyclone etc...thats just pox really  . Theyre' decent enough facilities for professional sports....  don't get too fooled anyone in thinking this is the Bees knees  or ideal.  You want that...look to what the Lions have etc...  and we too maybe one day.

It's ahhh....  fairly agricultural at Casey..

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 3

On 10/01/2024 at 15:06, Roost it far said:

He's clearly giving himself an opportunity to succeed. It'd be a great story if he debuted this year. 

Goody has track record of some left field selection of young, unheralded players. Bowser and Mcveee being two such examples (none other immediately come to mind, but i feel like i'm missing some).

So, Sestan will know that if he does the work he has shot. And personally i think a good one because we could really do with his kicking skills an general smarts. 

Probably not really left field but i reckon Howes and Woey are both massive chances to be in the round one team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sue said:

This is good, and i think well over due - ie the club coming out and putting Clarry 'on extended leave to deal with his ongoing health issues'. 

Without getting into the specifics of his issues and what is happening for Clarry the absolute right approach by the club is taking a health focused approach - for Clarry, the team and fans. 

Making it clear he is on extended leave takes some of the pressure off, allows fans to recalibrate and come to terms with the likelihood we won't see him in the team for a while.

But perhaps even more importantly it means the rest of the team can focus on their own preparation without some of the fugazi.

Easy to forget i reckon how stressful and unhelpful this has all been on his teammates, particularly those who have been long term mates such as tracc and Salo.  

Personally i'm approaching the situation like Clarry had an ACL last season. He's out, he's not coming anytime soon and it's not clear how long it will be before he does come back. 

I'm sending positive vibes Clarry's way and wish him nothing but the best. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1