Is Melbourne's Season Over for 2007?

melbournefc

Is Melbourne's Season Over for 2007?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is it season over for Melbourne in 2007, or will the Demons fight back and make a late charge to the finals?

Mathematically, NO. But realistically, it's going to be very very very hard from here to salvage a finals spot.

So, unfortunately, i had to vote 'YES'.

Here's to hoping they prove me wrong.

Cheers

The best thing working in our favour is the uncertainty of Carlton, Fremantle, Sydney and Essendon. If we can win two games and be up with these guys, I think we'll be right back into the mix with the big boys.

Remember, it's only Round 7...

yes, with out terrible start and injuries and bad form we are out. There is no use aiming for the 8, we should be looking for top 4 if we are real contenders. We should look to the future now, play the youngsters and see where we can fix the holes in our list cme draft time.

Was over a couple of weeks ago. But that's ok. The media is for the most part leaving MFC alone, and focussing on Daniher and the injuries. They still say the team and list are pretty good, which means there's still hope for small glories. I'm hanging out for:

- Brock to come in and further stake his claims as a leader of the competition.

- Robbo to do some more of the unfathomable.

- The number 1 pick, and first pre-season pick, or 2nd or 3rd, whatever happens.

- Neitz to play his 300th. I'll be there, maybe even if it's interstate, which it looks like it will be.

- Davey to press on towards AA forward pocket.

- Yze to lead the club in kicks, disposals, so that when he does retire in the next 2-4 years, it won't be as a league and MFC punch line. We could do without another one of them.

- Rising star nominations to Jones and Frawley, to go with Petterd.

- Best of all, that ENOURMOUS list of young guys to come in and do things, like Bate to dominate HFF, Bartram to HBF, Dunn everywhere but in the guts, Jones nowhere but in the guts, Newton up forward, Petterd and Bell off the HB line, Rivers where he belongs, Frawley to come in and make an immediate impact, PJ to stake claims as a steady but unspectacular starting 22 player and go from there (like all REALLY tall players do), Godfrey to maybe even make the top ten in the B&F by beating all comers (I don't like him as a player, barely any of us do, but it would be an incredible effort and achievement even in a bad year), CJ to finally win a spot in the side and win 25+ possessions in a game, Pickett to show some ticker and make an effort to stay on the list for next year, the return of Wrecker... and the biggest one.... Sylvia.... If you don't know what I mean after yesterday, you never will.

All these small little pleasures are great to come to the footy for. And there's a sort of illegitimate relieving calm that comes over you when you know that even if you do lose (by 5-6 points) good things will come of it in the form of draft picks like Franklin/Gibbs/Murphy.... Kreuzer. We can all be immature enough to whinge and moan about the club, but also be mature enough to realise that every team has it's time, both on the bottom and on the top.

If by over you mean finals, then yes. However, i think a lot can be accomplished from this year. As has been suggested, when faced with a choice of either playing an older everage player and a kid that's maybe not quite as reliable but showing promise, we should play the kid.

I don't want to see us pack in this year and just purely play the kids, but when faced with the choice above we must go for the youth to try and push players like Ward, Brown, Holland, Wheatly, and to a lesser extent Godfrey. Godders isn't my favourite player but i must admit that the jobs he's done in the last 3 weeks have been fantastic, so therefore i don't mind him playing. However, once Bartram comes back, i hope to see him pushing Godders out as just can't see us winning a premiership with Godfrey in our team.

We should be playing CJ, Petterd, Chip, Garland, and Juice as much as we can (within reason, ie if form does not warrent it then don't promote).

how can our season be over? we haven't even played collingwood yet!

remember children, a year without finals but with a win over the pies, is still a top year!

remember children, a year without finals but with a win over the pies, is still a top year!

I second that.

we wil not win the spoon, just have to point out that richmond will because they suck

Richmond are woeful. Carlton, Sydney, Essendon, Fremantle and Bulldogs are vulnerable teams that can go on a continuous

losing streak just at the right time Melbourne string a few wins together. Keep the faith guys!

Our seasons stuffed. Lets finish last and get draft picks and Kruizer the ruckman

I'm not giving up yet. I decide whether our season is officially finished or not after the Queens Birthday match against the filth and also after we play the tigers, which is only a few weeks away.

actually this year in a freak occurance we have a chance to beat them twice in one season!

We have 2 games against the Pies and 2 against the Blues....we have to win them all!

We need to pay back the Blues for beating us twice last year!

We have 2 games against the Pies and 2 against the Blues....we have to win them all!

We need to pay back the Blues for beating us twice last year!

The season was over after Geelong. Now we must concentrate on winning no more than 5 games.When we get to 5 play anyone, elevate rookies , put our guns on the long term injury list do anything but win a sixth game. Then we prepare for 150th year premiership celebration.Go Dees.

The season may be over from a finals perspective but barring more injuries come round 13 or 14 once our players have returned from injury and found a bit of form and fitness teams won't want to have us on their agenda! We're gonna give em hell!

we wpont make the GF. but i think we'll make a decent charge to the finals. we could easily be 2-5 atm and we could have a shot from there...if we're lucky we'll scrape 8th. i'd like us to either get there or finish right down the bottom...

Melbourne v West Coast Subiaco Oval Sun, 20 May 4:40 PM (currently 2nd )

Melbourne v Kangaroos Melbourne Cricket Ground Sun, 27 May 2:10 PM (currently 7th )

Melbourne v Adelaide Melbourne Cricket Ground Sat, 2 Jun 2:10 PM (currently 5th )

Melbourne v Collingwood Melbourne Cricket Ground Mon, 11 Jun 2:10 PM (currently 3rd )

Melbourne v Richmond Melbourne Cricket Ground Fri, 22 Jun 7:40 PM (currently LAST !! )

Melbourne v Essendon Telstra Dome Fri, 29 Jun 7:40 PM (currently 12th )

Melbourne v Carlton Melbourne Cricket Ground Sun, 8 Jul 2:10 PM (currently just above us !! )

Melbourne v Brisbane Lions Gabba Sat, 14 Jul 7:10 PM (currently 6th )

Melbourne v Kangaroos Telstra Dome Sun, 22 Jul 5:10 PM (currently 7th )

Melbourne v Port Adelaide AAMI Stadium Sun, 29 Jul 4:10 PM (currently top of heap )

Melbourne v Sydney Manuka Park Sun, 5 Aug 1:10 PM (currently 11th )

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs Telstra Dome Sat, 11 Aug 7:10 PM (currently 10th )

Melbourne v Collingwood Melbourne Cricket Ground Fri, 17 Aug 7:40 PM (currently 3rd )

Melbourne v Fremantle Subiaco Oval Sat, 25 Aug 2:10 PM (currently 13th )

Melbourne v Carlton Melbourne Cricket Ground Sun, 2 Sep 5:10 PM (currently sitting on us )

Ladies and Gentlemen , far from a simple exercise in c'n'p its just a reminder of our journey forward.

Now anything is possible I guess in football.. but some things are more likely than others.

One thing going for us is a bunch of games on the trot at the G, but teams dont fear us at the G any more. even on a good day id think we're only a chance in half of them. Even 8 wins will get you nowhere near the finals, so it begs the question of what is the smarter, more long term approach to going forward. Surely its not running ya guts off to finish nowhere. Its tortoise and hare time, lets take some time and actually finish somewhere competitive....in 2008 or 2009..anything else is as Kerrigan would say....dreaming !!

I'm deadly serious when I say that I still think we are a realistic chance of winning 10-12 games and a verygood chance of putting 6 consecutive wins together from round 11 to round 16 and possibly 8 on the trot if we can get over Adelaide at the G in round 10. It will all hinge on team stability ie injuries & confidence, we should be the form side of mid-season with a lot fresher players than anyone else.

C'mon guys, are you serious, don't live in cloud cuckoo land, at what point do you write the season off. They would need to win 12/15 games just to have a CHANCE to scrape into the finals (might need 13/15). Given that we will probably start that run off with a loss to the Eagles on the rebound, thats 12 or 13/14

But if it gives you solace to think that way, good luck to you.

We just have to enjoy the wins that come our way and dream of what might be in 2008, as we have done for so many years

The season is over but we could go out with some dignity and hopefully not finish bottom 2 however there are clearly benefits of finishing on the bottom. I think once we win one game we could go on a roll cos we arent playing badly. I wasnt expecting a premiership this year anyway and if u were ur clearly not realistic