Welcome to Demonland: Tom Fullarton

Mach5

Thanks Demonland great pick up, Tom sounds like a great get for us, humble but keen and determined to play AFL was prepared to move anywhere to get an opportunity I hope we put the finishing touches on Tom and give him regular game time, we are crying out for a two metre player with athleticism and great agility.!!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Demonland said:

Interesting he sees himself in a similar space to LJ - tall that is mobile and athletic both with basketball backgrounds.

Hopefully he is a late developer, and we can get a good return for the modest investment.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

Interesting he sees himself in a similar space to LJ - tall that is mobile and athletic both with basketball backgrounds.

Hopefully he is a late developer, and we can get a good return for the modest investment.

I’ve got hopes he can be the poor man’s version. Our premiership format is 2 talls and a resting ruck in the forward line. 

• Like 2

On 18/10/2023 at 13:55, Supreme_Demon said:

It will be interesting what jumper number they give to Tom Fullarton?

At the moment there are plenty to choose from. With the options being; #4, #6, #14, #23, #27, #34, #39, #44, #46, #47, #48 and #49.

He can keep #34 warm for a couple of years then pass it over to his young, other Sunshine Coast, protegé. Perhaps pick up #11 then? (may need to put Kalani in Max's original #37, as 'training wheels', till Max does retire!)

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

Harry Mackay is the AFL’s poor version of Tom Fullerton. 

I hope they place odds on him for the Coleman next year. Will clean up. 

😎

• Haha 2

On 14/10/2023 at 16:13, DeeSpencer said:

No one’s ever said Schache isn’t a good VFL footballer tho! He just lacks the contested ability and athleticism to bring it to AFL level.

I’m not expecting much from Fullarton but he’s younger, been in the afl/elite junior system far less than Schache and a better athlete. It makes sense that he has more improvement in him.

The last time I saw Fullarton play was the semi final against us last year and I thought for a young ruck/forward he had some promise with more development. Not saying there’s a huge chance he becomes a player but I’m willing to at least see how he goes given it’s been a year (and another preseason with us) since he last played. 

Not sure what you are saying Dee. Because Tom played in the Lions VFL this season is my understanding. 

He has not played in 2023 in AFL unless you are saying you have not seen him play since that Semi at Casey in 2022 as well. 

Reason is he was behind Hippy and Joey up forward . 

Chance if him improving quickly as young tall and finding his feet might just be the event that spurs him on to being a handy recruit. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

16 hours ago, Sydee said:

Late development for a ruck is not 24. Gawny in 2015 was 23 with his breakout Kardinia masterpiece and Tom is coming off a complete VFL season with no opportunity due to The Lions ruck and forward availability. 

He has completed his apprenticeship and should be ready made ( other than fitting into when required to our game plan ). In fact all of our 3 trade prospects are ready made with Tom ready to show his ability. 

Much will depend upon our selection forward and and ruck game strategies for Tom but a 200cm mobile follower/forward if successful could be a complete game changer. He could blossom under our development program and fulfill his potential.

I am excited about the new players who should bring a much different attitude to scoring with out defending being put on the scrap heap. 
Mini (McQualter) should bring this to our benefit incorporating a faster system and added pressure on our opponents. 

Guess time will be the deciding factor to see if any of these changes materialise to improve our ability to win the big games we have failed in the last two seasons.

Tom should be involved if this is to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

29 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Bit of a worry that the club can't even get his name right!

I was excited to hear how he's looking forward to being a sponge to everything he can get from Mex Gewn.

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Watched him on the weekend. Was ok amongst the disappointment of the Casey loss. Hes ok but is more of an athlete than a footballer.   We gave up loose change to get him so it was always going to be speculative what he could deliver.  He doesn’t seem to seek contact or physical challenge.  

A forward/relief ruck type.  With Petty and Turner giving us nought and BBB on one leg, do we try a JVR and Fullarton combo.  Not sure Fullarton is deserving of a promotion but our forward line marking is looking non existent right now.  I’d prefer JVR and an inflexible BBB (one last dance) , but not sure BBB can run much beyond the first half.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
O
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Watched him on the weekend. Was ok amongst the disappointment of the Casey loss. Hes ok but is more of an athlete than a footballer.   We gave up loose change to get him so it was always going to be speculative what he could deliver.  He doesn’t seem to seek contact or physical challenge.  

A forward/relief ruck type.  With Petty and Turner giving us nought and BBB on one leg, do we try a JVR and Fullarton combo.  Not sure Fullarton is deserving of a promotion but our forward line marking is looking non existent right now.  I’d prefer JVR and an inflexible BBB (one last dance) , but not sure BBB can run much beyond the first half.  

Anyone but BBB or petty please 

• Like 1

On 14/10/2023 at 11:57, demon3165 said:

Don't know much about the man myself so I ask unlike the weed and josh who have the skill but no C in them does Tom have that ingredient in him at all?

I think you can answer that one for yourself now.

On 14/10/2023 at 16:35, monoccular said:

Maybe 2 and not 1 or 3 will let us asses his true value.  
Would love it if dazzle and other naysayers had egg on their faces. 
He is one of our now - support him. 

Yes, I absolutely have egg on my face.. 😅

• Like 1

In fairness to Tom Fullarton, as much as I have been against this recruiting from day 1, why on earth did we select Daniel Turner who had missed nearly 3 weeks with a calf injury over Fullarton who would have been able to give Gawn a chop out against Darcy and Jackson? This selection would have made perfect sense.

You'd think this would have been the perfect opportunity. Turner was completely non existent and Gawn was worked over by Darcy and Jackson.

This why Goodwin and Tim Lamb confuse me at times. Bring in guys like Fullarton, Dunstan and Schache and yet they barely play them when opportunity presents themselves after good form in the VFL.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

In fairness to Tom Fullarton, as much as I have been against this recruiting from day 1, why on earth did we select Daniel Turner who had missed nearly 3 weeks with a calf injury over Fullarton who would have been able to give Gawn a chop out against Darcy and Jackson? This selection would have made perfect sense.

You'd think this would have been the perfect opportunity. Turner was completely non existent and Gawn was worked over by Darcy and Jackson.

This why Goodwin and Tim Lamb confuse me at times. Bring in guys like Fullarton, Dunstan and Schache and yet they barely play them when opportunity presents themselves after good form in the VFL.

Agree with this and similar to the Schache selection in the semi final, or picking Spargo in opening round

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

38 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Agree Dazzle absolutely baffling decision not to play Tom Fullarton, in all honesty could he have done worse than Petty and Disco off a 3 week injury?? Freo we’re to tall and athletic for us and where was our fight.!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Agree Dazzle absolutely baffling decision not to play Tom Fullarton, in all honesty could he have done worse than Petty and Disco off a 3 week injury?? Freo we’re to tall and athletic for us and where was our fight.!!

If you want fight I’m not sure Fullarton offers that much. I’ve watched him several times now at Casey and frankly he offers a similar level of intensity as a former demon chf now at the bummers 

He seems like a really nice bloke and I’m sure he is but right now I’d rather see a few more hard nuts run out in red and blue. We seem to have lost any sort of true grit particularly in the last month. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Dunstan had a go year 1 then never really needed more of a go. Started slow last year I think he got injured right when he was in the frame for more of a go.

Schache, we’ve all seen enough.

Fullarton’s been in good form? He was building back towards something like good form and went down with painful ankle problems twice against Carlton then apparently missed last week sick.

So it would’ve been the first time for him to play in 3 weeks too!

Turner showed more in one quarter forward against Port Melbourne than than Fullarton did in about 5 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Dunstan had a go year 1 then never really needed more of a go. Started slow last year I think he got injured right when he was in the frame for more of a go.

Schache, we’ve all seen enough.

Fullarton’s been in good form? He was building back towards something like good form and went down with painful ankle problems twice against Carlton then apparently missed last week sick.

So it would’ve been the first time for him to play in 3 weeks too!

Turner showed more in one quarter forward against Port Melbourne than than Fullarton did in about 5 weeks.

No he didn't. 

Think back to the Richmond VFL game where Fullarton took about 6 strong contested marks and looked threatening up forward.

Other then a few lucky balls that bounced his way against the anzac eve game Turner has shown absolutely nothing as a forward at AFL level or VFL level to suggest that he deserved to be an automatic selection against Freo.

Had Hunter not been subbed then Turner was first to go because he was horrible and got his pansted pulled down by Draper.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

18 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Fullo had two reasonable games consecutively Dazzle.  The Port match in Rnd 3 and then then the following against the Tigers you mentioned in Rnd 5 post the bye.

I thought that might have put him in the selection window coming into the match against the Eagles ahead of Brown & Petty.  But he didn't do much in his subsequent games following those in the lead up to the Eagles.

Regardless, Goodwin continued on with a horribly out of form Petty for the Eagles and brought in Brown who also didn't do that much at Casey the week before imv.  Certainly not enough to inspire that selection.

Petty & Brown were both monumental failures against the Eagles with their ratings down 66% & 56% consecutively vs 2023 in that match and only 1 goal between them.

Not saying Fullo wouldve made much of a diff but if you were going to trial him that was the opportune time, certainly ahead of both Brown & Petty imho.  Just trial it.  There waa nothing to lose and we lost comprehensively anyway.  I did say this in the week leading into that match so this isn't in hindsight either.

After not being selected for the Eagles (but was 'considered' as he was named in the emergencies), Fullo then injured his calf and was ineligible for the Saints.

I doubt he would've been fit enough for Freo match.  Hence they went with last resort .. Turner.  Which also turned out to be a fail.

We brought Fullo back to play Coburg last week but imho he looked hampered in that match (and or disinterested?) and had a poor match.

Hopefully he will start to improve as he works his way through and out of calf niggle.

Simon's brought in far too many players that simply weren't in decent form and lacking match fitness and gone back to the old well too many times.

Petty is presently not even close to AFL and should've been kept at Casey for weeks until he showed he was ready.  His one and only game at Casey was an absolute horror show but Goodwin still brought him straight in.  Madness.

I said this at the time and have been saying it consistently throughout the year.  Mega mistake by the coach here.

No team can carry such an out of form poorly perfoming player for months on end.  Its a bad call all round for so many reasons.

I said last week before Freo that at some stage such decisions (McAdam and Hunter who also didn't earn their spots based on their Casey performances) will probably come back to bite us.  And it certainly has.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Fullo had two reasonable games consecutively Dazzle.  The Port match in Rnd 3 and then then the following against the Tigers you mentioned in Rnd 5 post the bye.

I thought that might have put him in the selection window coming into the match against the Eagles ahead of Brown & Petty.  But he didn't do much in his subsequent games following those in the lead up to the Eagles.

Regardless, Goodwin continued on with a horribly out of form Petty for the Eagles and brought in Brown who also didn't do that much at Casey the week before imv.  Certainly not enough to inspire that selection.

Petty & Brown were both monumental failures against the Eagles with their ratings down 66% & 56% consecutively in that match and only 1 goal between them.

Not saying Fullo wouldve made much of a diff but if you were going to trial him that was the opportune time, certainly ahead of both Brown & Petty imho.

After not being selected for the Eagles (but was 'considered' as he was named in the emergencies), Fullo then injured his calf and was ineligible for the Saints.

I doubt he would've been fit enough for Freo match.  Hence they went with last resort .. Turner.  Which also turned out to be a fail.

We brought Fullo back to play Coburg last week but imho he looked hampered in that match (and or disinterested?) and had a poor match.

Hopefully he will start to improve as he works his way through and out of calf niggle.

Simon's brought in far too many players that simply weren't in decent form and lacking match fitness and gone back to the old well too many times.

Petty is presently not even close to AFL and should've been kept at Casey for weeks until he showed he was ready.  His one and only game at Casey was an absolute horror show but Goodwin still brought him straight in.  Madness.

I said this at the time and have been saying it consistently throughout the year.  Mega mistake by the coach here.

No team can carry such an out of form poorly perfoming player for months on end.  Its a bad call all round for so many reasons.

I said last week before Freo that at some stage such decisions (McAdam and Hunter who also didn't earn their spots based on their Casey performances) will probably come back to bite us.  And it certainly has.

I was sitting near the bench and Fullarton stated he shoulder was subluxed (translation: A shoulder subluxation occurs when the humerus partially slides in and out of place quickly) and was holding his arm quite gingerly. Would not have helped but he also had some poor moments, especially the timing in flying for marks or rucking was quite poor. 

Edited by MrFreeze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

I was sitting near the bench and Fullarton stated he shoulder was subluxed (translation: A shoulder subluxation occurs when the humerus partially slides in and out of place quickly) and was holding his arm quite gingerly. Would not have helped but he also had some poor moments, especially the timing in flying for marks or rucking was quite poor. 

Thanks Freeze.  That might help to  explain or partially explain his meek performance on the day.

• Like 1