Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

2 minutes ago, sue said:

Maynard is no Daicos, so why are the stakes for C'wood so huge?  I suggest because having run this absolutely absurd PR campaign they will look foolish and lose respect if they don't win in the end.

Did they have any respect before? 🤣

• Like 2

I loathe Geelong but kudos that they took their medicine when Stewart knocked out Prestia early in the game last year and it cost Richmond a win.

They didn't whinge nor drum up fan and media hysteria.

I guess it serves Collingwood's '19th man' agenda to keep them all frothing.  But it just makes everyone else hate them all the more.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

He's going to get off for this, I'm sure of it. And that will be curtains for my interest in AFL. I have two kids aged 15 and 13 both who play and I will be thinking long and hard if I will allow them to keep playing the sport as well.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Cripps' Brownlow for me will always have an asterisk against it, but he got off on legal technicality surrounding incorrect charges. Not evidence, medical reports etc.

90,000 saw the shoulder drop and Angus off on the cart.

I agree with you, and I know the difference between Cripps’ and Gussy’s cases. But before Cripps got off I thought there was no way possible he would. But he did. And I fear this time they’ll have some sort of loophole that none of us foresee. Although it’d have to be some sort of loophole, Maynard’s name isn’t partway etched on a Brownlow. 🙄 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, IRW said:

3 Front up in person ....no matter how uncomfortable it might be,because you understand it could've been you and you feel sorry another player has been badly hurt

Serious question. 

Two actually 

It's youwho  accidentally knocked out a player.

You want to go around to see him asap to apologise.

But of course you are aware emotions are running high, particularly only two days since the incident.

And given the seriousness of the injury, being a reasonable and relatively smart person (or at least having such people around you giving you good advice) there is every chance the player you have knocked our cold for two full minutes may not be well enough to receive visitors or may have medical staff, family, friends or teammates with him who a very likely not wanting to see you.

So two questions:

Do you drop in unannounced ie without calling ahead?

Do you ensure the visit is kept secret because you don't want people to misinterpret the reason for your visit, question your sincerity or create any more media noise that could be upsetting to the victim?

Oh, and one more question.

Do you bring a bottle of wine when you visit as a gift for a player who has had a significant head trauma?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

59 minutes ago, rollinson 65 said:

This has been a necessary thread, allowing us all to vent our anger and frustration.

But some posts have been thoughtful about this concussion crisis in our game.

As a result of this thread, I have two suggestions:

First, the AFL establishes a fund to compensate past and future players for the consequences of concussion.

Second, a red card system to be given a trial - a player is sent off for striking or a dangerous tackle, reducing the team to 17 players for a defined period.

Coaches and players would soon adapt. Stacked backlines, recruitment of American-style punters, the rebirth of the torp etc etc. Most importantly, the dangerous tackle would disappear overnight on coach's instructions. 

You’re still here???

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I reckon the tribunal will give this thug a 4 or 5 game penalty.  This in turn will make it almost impossible for Collingwood to argue the sentence down to 1 week

Collingwood are going to have to get him off on appeal

And then of course the AFL themselves can appeal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Serious question. 

Two actually 

It's youwho  accidentally knocked out a player.

But of course you are aware emotions are running high, particularly only two days since the incident.

And given the seriousness of the injury, being a reasonable and relatively smart person (or at least having such people around you giving you good advice) there is every chance the player you have knocked our cold for two full minutes may not be well enough to receive visitors or may have medical staff, family, friends or teammates with him who a very likely not wanting to see you.

So two questions:

Do you drop in unannounced ie without calling ahead?

Do you ensure the visit is kept secret because you don't want people to misinterpret the reason for your visit, question your sincerity or create any more media noise that could be upsetting to the victim?

Oh, and one more question.

Do you bring a bottle of wine when you visit as a gift for a player who has had a significant head trauma?

Dropping over to my house unannounced is the quickest way to get on my shyt-list, period. 

The second-quickest way is to go into a long account of a dream you had the previous night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

The Deebrief analysis on this was spot on.

Take the spoil out for a moment, in the end he jumped in the air and bumped Brayshaw.

Finally, not sure if it’s been mentioned at all but before the first bounce Maynard was carrying on like peanut. he lined Fritsch up and was trying his whole tough guy brevado so clearly he was in that kind of mood.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

You’re still here???

Rollyx wants change  the discussion to what rule changes need to be made to stop this happening in future.  (Even though apparently there was no problem with the incident - an odd position to take really).

I suggested to him that if he wants to discuss that (like many of us do), he starts a new thread on the topic. Instead he keeps posting here. I suggest he's hoping to divert attention from his earlier embarrasing expert legal analysis of the event.

Edited by sue
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

6 hours ago, Older demon said:

Fear not WCW. Cripps was found guilty but the case was thrown out on a legal technicality in the the Chair didn't adequately brief and what options they had. Nothing to do with the guilty verdict which wasn't changed. The case was abandoned and Gil was furious and the rules changed to ensure it doesn't happen again. He is either guilty or not no downgrades lets wait and see 

I get that, OD. But until such time as it’s case closed with that thug sitting out the next 2-4 matches… I’ll continue to fear. Re Cripps: I would’ve bet my life he’d lose that appeal and from the moment he won it, I realised there’s no such thing as a 100% sure thing in any of these cases. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, McQueen said:

At 9:43 in that video they show several instances of what is now described as a "football act" intended to exculpate Maynard. Not one is similar to the front on flying charge undertaken by Maynard. Perhaps they are meant to support the other furphy being promulgated namely that Maynard had a right to protect himself by raising his shoulder. He lost that right IMO when he chose to leave the ground in an uncontrolled manner.

On a separate note the discussion about knees to the head in high marking attempts certainly raises issues but has nothing to do with Maynard's infringement

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

I reckon the tribunal will give this thug a 4 or 5 game penalty.  This in turn will make it almost impossible for Collingwood to argue the sentence down to 1 week

That my thinking 2 weeks and an appeal has a chance 4 or 5 and it's dead in the water. Over to you AFL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Damn, you'd hate me me then.

Ha! 

I’m quite good at saying things like  “Wow, that’s crazy”, “How weird” and “My, what an interesting sub-consciousness you have”. As long as you can’t see me digging my nails into my skin you’d never know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, binman said:

It's you who  accidentally knocked out a player.

That would be OK, and the other bits, IF the number 4 was willing to own up to his part in the collision.

While he still (publically) sees it as a footy act, showing no attrition, or taking responsibility for his unnecessary act, the family will have to heal further before forgiveness could even be considered. 

(This lack of public attrition, could mean that if he had his time again, then the act and outcome would remain the same). 

Number 4, had to be able to "read the room", without that understanding, then his motives point to being self-serving. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 3
  • Clap 2

3 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Ha! 

I’m quite good at saying things like  “Wow, that’s crazy”, “How weird” and “My, what an interesting sub-consciousness you have”. As long as you can’t see me digging my nails into my skin you’d never know. 

Try:

'Tell me, what do you think it means?'

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Macca said:

That is energy sapping and distracting for them 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

Try:

'Tell me, what do you think it means?'

…. then prepare to kiss goodbye another hour you’ll never get back. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Leaving aside the weirdness, tell me Member Demonland, when will Player Maynard front the Tribunal. Is it Weekday Tuesday of Date 12 of Month September in This Year of our Lord 2023?

Hark! The town crier to announce commencement of proceedings against Player Maynard at 1600 hours of the clock. 

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Cripps' Brownlow for me will always have an asterisk against it, but he got off on legal technicality surrounding incorrect charges. Not evidence, medical reports etc.

90,000 saw the shoulder drop and Angus off on the cart.

Jobe Watson's Brownlow is more legit than Cripps' for me. 

• Like 3