POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

3 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Have no choice know with Jvr out.

The forward cupboard is basically bare. And from my memory most Premiership clubs have a full list to choose from in their finals run. Our Cup chances have been falling away with every injury through the season, first it was TMac, then Brown, Fritsch, then Petty, Melksham, Brayshaw, now JVR suspended. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

I find it amusing that some on here and the socials think that if you believe Maynard should get suspended you haven’t laced up a boot….

Maynard had a right to protect himself, protect himself from what? 

A player running full tilt and kicking the footy is basically unprotected. 

But hold on, it was a natural action to turn side on….

If you are about to collide with something or fall or be attacked the natural human position is to raise your arms.

If Maynard kept his his arms in front they both might fall to the ground but both would get up and walk away.

Having said that he’ll either get off or only cop a week.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Van Rooyen has done some undisciplined things this year. 

Last nights elbow was totally unnecessary 

I've just watched a heap of different angles on myheartbeatstrue insta page. The Collingwood player flopped. It was a complete act.

Can anyone post footage of it?

10 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I find it amusing that some on here and the socials think that if you believe Maynard should get suspended you haven’t laced up a boot….

Maynard had a right to protect himself, protect himself from what? 

A player running full tilt and kicking the footy is basically unprotected. 

But hold on, it was a natural action to turn side on….

If you are about to collide with something or fall or be attacked the natural human position is to raise your arms.

If Maynard kept his his arms in front they both might fall to the ground but both would get up and walk away.

Having said that he’ll either get off or only cop a week.

Suspend Brayshaw for bringing the game into disrepute! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Go Lordie said:

And why does Collingwood turn up the volume to 11 at the breaks? It's already too loud. And when they invite 10 year olds to yell into the microphone.. give me a break.

Save some money and jstf up so I can talk to my company or even the bloke I don't know sitting next to me 

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I would play Grundy rather than TMac

He was so far off it last night, a good solid career has come to an end

I wouldn’t just because it has not worked as my reasoning. Tmac’s first hit out in a long time and the void between the VFL and AFL is just massive now, let alone coming in for a final. I thought Tmac showed a little more in the 4th, but jut my view

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I wouldn’t just because it has not worked as my reasoning. Tmac’s first hit out in a long time and the void between the VFL and AFL is just massive now, let alone coming in for a final. I thought Tmac showed a little more in the 4th, but jut my view

T-Mac's mobility was not up to scratch last night but with JVR out, he'll stay in the team by default.  Not ideal but his aerobic capacity at least aids him later in the game (as you mentioned)

I'd say Gawn will have to have stints forward next week.  It's lucky we've got another ruckman in Grundy to step in.  Turner or Tomlinson could come in to help out forward or back

Injuries and now ko's and suspensions have cruelled our season

Brayshaw out takes 25 mostly efficient possessions from the overall team output.  He'll be missed terribly

Somehow, we're going to have to patch together a functioning forward line

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

If a professional athlete needs his coach to "rev" him up before a QF against Collingwood in front of 92,000 fans its his problem not the coach. I actually think we expected it to just happen and then Gus goes off and bang, we're 4-5 goals down.

There are occasional times when a group (even a good one) needs a  rev up, something inspirational to raise their output to the next level and match the opponent's RIF.

Last night was one of them imo.  We came out flat as a tack (again!)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demon Dynasty said:

There are occasional times when a group (even a good one) needs a  rev up, something inspirational to raise their output to the next level and match the opponent's RIF.

Last night was one of them imo.  We came out flat as a tack (again!)

Players and coaching is at fault if we're slow out the blocks

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

31 minutes ago, Macca said:

T-Mac's mobility was not up to scratch last night but with JVR out, he'll stay in the team by default.  Not ideal but his aerobic capacity at least aids him later in the game (as you mentioned)

I'd say Gawn will have to have stints forward next week.  It's lucky we've got another ruckman in Grundy to step in.  Turner or Tomlinson could come in to help out forward or back

Injuries and now ko's and suspensions have cruelled our season

Brayshaw out takes 25 mostly efficient possessions from the overall team output.  He'll be missed terribly

Somehow, we're going to have to patch together a functioning forward line

I just want to try something different with the set up and open up the F50

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I just want to try something different with the set up and open up the F50

We are going to have to change things up in the forward line if we're going to win next week

The real issue is personell and that's something we can't fix this season

Our forward 50 entries are more often than not boundary side or with the use of the long bomb - neither works

I'm reminded that in the 2021 GF more than around half our inside 50's came from the boots of Salem & Petracca with 30-40 metre bullet kicks

What's happened to that strategy?

Spargo kicks well into the 50 so I can see him being recalled

And our forwards need to be on the move leading every which way

I can see a few late night meetings for the MC

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Macca said:

We are going to have to change things up in the forward line if we're going to win next week

Our forward 50 entries are more often than not boundary side or with the use of the long bomb - neither works

I'm reminded that in the 2021 GF more than around half our inside 50's came from the boots of Salem & Petracca with 30-40 metre bullet kicks

As @dazzledavey36 responded to a query on the SF thread I had regarding Disco Turner playing forward apparently he played forward today in the VFL practice match and played well

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

5 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

As @dazzledavey36 responded to a query on the SF thread I had regarding Disco Turner playing forward apparently he played forward today in the VFL practice match and played well

We also need to find a midfield combo (without Gus) that allows us to play Petracca forward periodically

I favour a more medium sized on-the-move forward line with ideally, forward 50 entries that hit targets with lowered eyes

Kicking long just for territories sake is a waste of time given our current personell

Yze & Stafford need to come up with a more scientific approach ... our current method lacks intelligence and is lazy

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Spargo has to come in for Chandler.

Works his butt off but form is pretty ordinary late in the season and doesn't connect coming inside or kick any goals.

Tomlinson for Hibbo to free up Lever.

JJ for Gus.

Grundy for JVR

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fanatique Demon said:

I was really upset with Langdon missing that goal after taking advantage. Wouldn’t you think there would be a club policy of not taking advantage for a free kick awarded within 30 m of goal? Or don’t they think that deeply?

The real question is why didn't the ump call it back ?? 

36 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Spargo has to come in for Chandler.

Works his butt off but form is pretty ordinary late in the season and doesn't connect coming inside or kick any goals.

Tomlinson for Hibbo to free up Lever.

JJ for Gus.

Grundy for JVR

We don't often make any more than 3 changes but 2 are forced for next week for starters

Agree on Jordon & Grundy

Maybe Turner coming in as a forward could be a left field move but T-Mac would have to make way you'd imagine (if Grundy comes in for JVR allowing Gawn to have a few stints forward)

Hibberd will probably stay and Spargo could replace Chandler. 

Tomlinson or Turner as the sub with Laurie out of the 23?

One thing is for sure, all our best players need to play at their best if we're to beat Carlton

So Gawn, Petracca, Langdon, Hunter, May, Lever, Rivers, Salem, Oliver, Viney, McVee, Bowey, ANB, Pickett & Sparrow all have to play well next Friday (I've got Petracca playing well as a forward)

If that happens, we win

We've got the talent and we've got the class.  We just need to perform from the get-go

Edited by Macca
  • Thinking 1

You know what irked me. I got home from the game last night, turned on ch 7 & I get a story that trac and daicos did together about hanging out together and eating pasta in Lygon st then going to another place. 

I have no issue with them hanging out, I just didn't need to see daicos's face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

talking to a couple of Pies fans who are good blokes. ( i know)

they both said they do not want to face the Demons again  they know they got completely out played 

A couple of Pies fans I spoke to quickly today - I didn't say much just asked them what they thought. Both said they thought Pies controlled the game for 3/4's and we made a late run but was too little too late. I thought I must have watched a different game.