POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I dunno, I can't put the blame on Goodwin. This was down to execution. If Fritsch nails those two easy (for him) set shots we win. Pickett misses two easy snaps, Petracca hits the post etc etc

We controlled the game for longer than they did just could not convert. Joel Smith was our most dangerous forward and props to him but that's not gonna win you a flag.

I agree with this. We simply didn’t handle the occasion at all.

Leaving the ground Collingwood fans weren’t as insufferable as you’d imagine - because they know they got lucky. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He chose to jump and attempt a smother and then last second tried to brace himself for contact as he was coming down.

Play this in normal speed and it all happened so quick that I don't think he had time to even try and turn away.

These footballing motions happen so quick in games that sometimes it's just hard to react quick enough.

If that was a pies training and he launched himself in the air to smother, would you expect he would have no other option than what he did?  Obviously he is going at match intensity but choosing to bump is not a match intensity issue.  His other option was to brace with his hands for sure. It was a final. He was fired up. He chose to bump. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

The point most people are missing in this is that he was in the AIR. 

He won't get weeks due to the fact he was in the air and had no reasonable means to avoid contact unlike someone who has two feet planted on the ground.. 

The intention was the Smother also, not to bump. And his last action was to brace whilst mid air. 

It's vastly different. 

Sorry - slow to reply and others have got there first.

Other options available. Turn in left shoulder and avoid contact altogether. Land with arms straight and push off him. Land in cuddling motion. 

If it was entirely unavoidable why is this the first case we've seen all season? I assume noone has ever left the ground for a front of smother this year then? Or they have but  theyve chosen all the other optuons available and not tried to level their opponent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

I don't think our list is as hot as we think it is dazzledavey36. 

Why does Trac only get going in the 2nd half?.

What's happened to Salo?. Langers and Hunter not far behind.

Lever egging everyone on but didn't dominate himself.

Chandler  and Laurie not very good.

Tmac...I've said my peace.

Jvr still learning.

Credit to the fightback but we've all seen this movie before with these slow starts and misses opportunities. 

Coaches haven't elevated Trac or Clarry games to the next level, for us to become a dynasty. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

To smother the kick of an oncoming player requires the smotherer to dive at that kickers feet.  Who does that?

A smother enacted correctly comes from the side, rarely, if ever, front on

And you don't have to have played footy to know any of the above (although it helps)

So how does a player attempting to smother a kick (which is kicked from about 30cm from ground level) end up shouldering the kickers head?  Huh?  Makes zero sense

Those justifying Maynard's action quite literally have no idea what they're talking about

He must have thought Gus was going to head the ball

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

I agree with the first half of your post.  You are right in saying that Maynard couldn't avoid contact, but isn't that true in countless cases so surely that can't be test right.

The fact is he chose to turn and bump. Now yes you could say that was to protect himself, but again, you can say that about every ground ball collision also ( Hunters this year.)  His other option was to show duty of care and try and tackle, brace with his arms out etc

yes that is split second, but again that is what every case deals with.  He had other options.

He has a duty of care to not shirt front an opposing player.  He should get 3 weeks.  And I'm not biased jvr should get 2 also, that was amateur stuff. 

Protect himself from what? Brayshaw wasn’t contesting a ball, like the Cripps incident. Anyone that thinks Maynard didn’t know exactly what he was doing doesn’t know the character of the bloke. Fact is he turned the shoulder to bump him. He initiated the contact. He elected to leave the ground. It’s careless high impact. He is gone. It’s actually not much different to Kozzy on Smith this year. Initially Pickett jumped to affect the kick and then turns mid air 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 3

10 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Simple rule. Don’t leave your feet and lose control. Failure to take reasonable care. Nobody is missing anything. 

9 minutes ago, OhMyDees said:

How is jumping in the air to smother not careless? Did he even get close to smothering?

You two don't make sense.

His intention was to smother. Not to bump. Do you understand the difference? 

If a player's intention is to execute a football act, but in the process their collision causes a concussion, they are not going to get weeks. (I don't count bumping as a football act anymore btw). 

It's not careless cause its a football act! 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

21 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

The look on Goody’s face when Smith and Langdon took advantage like it was a Benny Hill skit rather than let Fritta have a set shot was priceless.

He’d have missed it I guess and maybe put it out on the full, so in some senses maybe we ended up a point better off than if they didn’t.

I heard the umpire's whistle blow twice, which means bring it back

There's too many umpires not knowing what the others are doing

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

Landed on top of him front on and shared the impact, rather than distributing the impact entirely on to Brayshaw’s face. 

He basically did the SUV smashing a Suzuki thing rather than two Mazdas hitting each other and everyone being ok

It’s laughable to argue he had no other options or that what he did was reasonable.

It’s also entirely predictable that he will be free to play because the AFL is borderline corrupt on these issues. A Melbourne player would get 4-5 weeks for that. 

A Swans player would get Brownlow votes!

1 minute ago, Jjrogan said:

If that was a pies training and he launched himself in the air to smother, would you expect he would have no other option than what he did?  Obviously he is going at match intensity but choosing to bump is not a match intensity issue.  His other option was to brace with his hands for sure. It was a final. He was fired up. He chose to bump. 

He was moving forward towards Brayshaw and jumped with momentum to smother the ball.

If he tried to brace himself he still would have hit Brayshaw regardless because of his forward momentum. As he was coming down you can tell he's trying obviously avoid face to face contact and that's why I think he turned to try and brace himself.

Just now, JimmyGadson said:

If a player's intention is to execute a football act, but in the process their collision causes a concussion, they are not going to get weeks. 

James Sicily was clearly told otherwise, by the MRO and then the tribunal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

Come on. When fit they are both top 10 in the comp players. They aren’t the problem.

They can't impact the scoreboard enough in my opinion. Not saying they aren't great, but they can be even greater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyGadson said:

You two don't make sense.

His intention was to smother. Not to bump. Do you understand the difference? 

If a player's intention is to execute a football act, but in the process their collision causes a concussion, they are not going to get weeks. (I don't count bumping as a football act anymore btw). 

It's not careless cause its a football act! 

Explain how his intention was to smother when he elected to turn his body and shoulders to hit Brayshaw in the head? You can’t end of story.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Kossie got 2 weeks for leaving the ground and nailing Bailey smith. And to his credit smith got straight back up. How is Maynard’s action any different. And Gus is concussed. Had to get a ban but then again it’s the mro so who the [censored] knows 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Protect himself from what? Brayshaw wasn’t contesting a ball, like the Cripps incident. Anyone that thinks Maynard didn’t know exactly what he was doing doesn’t know the character of the bloke. Fact is he turned the shoulder to bump him. He initiated the contact. He elected to leave the ground. It’s careless high impact. He is gone. It’s actually not much different to Kozzy on Smith this year. Initially Pickett jumped to affect the kick and then turns mid air 

Maynard and Brayshaw have been mates since under 12's actually and grew up playing footy together. 

So you and many others on here have NFI of what you're on about. 

I get people are upset about losing and obviously Brayshaw's injury is massively concerning. 

But my god there is some massive face-palmary going on in here. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

The point most people are missing in this is that he was in the AIR. 

He won't get weeks due to the fact he was in the air and had no reasonable means to avoid contact unlike someone who has two feet planted on the ground.. 

The intention was the Smother also, not to bump. And his last action was to brace whilst mid air. 

It's vastly different. 

Because while in the AIR he turned his right shoulder into Brayshaw.  If you can twist your body to the right while in the AIR, you can just as easily twist left in which case contact would likely be negligible. Or you can extend your arms and protect yourself and the other player by fending with hands to the chest. 

I've no issue with the attempted smother but once Maynard's hands missed the footy, he had options.  He took the worst one. 

Edited by Go the Biff
sp
  • Like 4