Jump to content

  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


2 weeks in a row sides get done by the Goal Umps


Monbon

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I'd actually be in favour of each captain being able to call one or two goal line decisions per game. A bit like cricket.

I'd fix the system first ... 2 goal umpires at each end of the ground backed up by a sophisticated goal line camera system (with a chip in the footy to make sure whether the footy has been touched or not)

See how that goes and then maybe have 1 or 2 captains call's

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a lot more goal umpiring errors ... but what we have seen are a lot of referrals.  Which should tell us something about the lack of surity of the adjudications

In other words, if the goal umpires are unsure of the obvious, there lies the problem (system issue)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So tennis linespeople no longer get abused.  Why?  Because by and large, they no longer exist because of the tracking technology (apart from clay court tournaments)

Cricket umpires are now more like orderly's (effectively)

VAR in soccer day by day is now being accepted by even the strongest opponents of said technology.  Sooner or later, 98% of soccer fans will live with it and most will embrace

Numerous other sports have gone ahead in leaps and bounds embracing technology

So what do we do in the AFL? ... we hang on to a 19th century style of thinking and sack goal umpires to satisfy our bloodlust

  • Like 2
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Warning: Incoming Rant:
It's not just goal umpring!
4 umps hasn't made umpiring better, it's just made them less fatigued. Decision making hasn't improved with 4 umpires. In fact I think decision making has gotten worse.

Boundary umpiring isn't any better, along with the two howlers made with Jeremy Cameron last week, Viney was clearly over the line, in clear sight of the umps, and they didn't blow the whistle and the ground ump called him for holding the ball.  But it feels like this is another area where standards are not good at the moment.

There are very few AFL umpires that can bounce the ball, and throwing the ball up at stoppages. Seriously why are they throwing the ball out 3-5m out in front of them rather than throwing it directly up in the air and exiting out the back of the contest. Why?  

Holding the ball is a subjective assessment that varies wildly not just from game to game but within a game... it's terrible.

Bite the bullet and make umpiring a full-time profession, pay for ARC technology at all AFL grounds and get a Football operations boss!!!.

Only positive umpiring thing I can say at the moment is that David Rodan is still smiling!, and since the dissent rule has all but disappeared so I can't be given a 50m penalty for this rant.

  • Like 5
  • Clap 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Monbon said:

The Adelaide Fiasco is a bloody disgrace to the game called AFL. That two weeks in a row, teams can lose because of serious mistakes by either the goal umpire, or the so-called 'Replay' system, in Adelaide's case costing it engagement in a Finals Series is a catastrophic blight - as though there ain't enough already - on everything the AFL stands for. 

And then, for the CEO of this Fantasyland called AFL, to admit a serious mistake had been made and offer no redress to the victim of what can only be called an atrocity, makes me shake my head and ask myself, Why bother following a game which is so loaded with injustice.

Think about it: 

A. How often do the E Colli Wobblers play interstate?

B. Ditto Geelong.

C. The irrationality of the Fixtures, rational only from economic points of view.

D. The fact that Fixtures are NOT based on fairness in that the Draw is staggered; in other words, in each season, each team should either play the same team twice, and if that extends the number of games, the gaps between matches, so bloody well be it. 

E. The irrationality and inconsistency of the outcome of Match Reviews regarding 'Reportable' offences.

D. The changing of the rules, almost as regular as The Changing of The Guard.

E. The fact that 4 umpires is like having 4 Pontuis Pilates, all with different backgrounds, affiliations, viewpoints and whistle capacity.

D. How a boundary umpire can stand next to a ball blatantly  out of bounds, visible to a whole effing arena apart from the umpire's myopia, and for play to be allowed to continue?

E. How certain teams are allowed to throw the ball instead of 'handpassing' when there are so-called Laws forbidding the practice?

F. How come there is a set of rules which an umpire can either overlook or ignore if and when it suits them? All bloody 4 of them!

I could go on...

 

 

While I see your point, if these matters were addressed then what would the AFL media talk about during the Monday to Thursday media cycle and for the 5 months there is no footy?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, chookrat said:

While I see your point, if these matters were addressed then what would the AFL media talk about during the Monday to Thursday media cycle and for the 5 months there is no footy?

You're not suggesting that the AFL likes to remain in the news 24/7 by keeping the punters yabbering on about issues that could be resolved?  haha

There are conspiracy theories and then there are factual occurances (repeated ad nauseum)

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The Adelaide decision was obviously a blunder.

Is there categoric and undeniable proof that the umpire made an incorrect decision in relation to the Petracca goal decision last week?

 

No. The issue last week was not the umpire's call, it was the [censored] poor vision that was 'inconclusive'.

Better technology would have allowed for a definite ruling of whether the ball was indeed touched.

FWIW I sat behind the goals and it was clearly not touched. 

  • Like 7
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The technology around the goal line could be so sophisticated that we'd have no need for goal umpires at all (so instead of sacking them, they'd become surplus to needs - at the highest level) 

Cricket is heading that way and we've seen certain types of adjudicators become obsolete because of technology (tennis linespeople etc)

Soccer linespeople only flag the obvious off-sides I believe?  Otherwise they let the play go and let VAR decide

But as someone else here mentioned, the cost might be the reason that the AFL are using such a shabby system currently

You get what you pay for

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are so many issues about the AFL and umpiring (not the poor buggers stuck with the job) that I don't think you need a tinfoil hat to think the AFL likes it that way to keep the clicks ticking over.

The inconsistency during the heat of a game is perhaps unavoidable, but what in blaze justifies the disappearance of the dissent rule which was introduced to help recruitment of  junior umpires etc etc?

There were a few people on here who blasted anyone who dared criticise its "zero tolerance" nature as just a step too far.  I don't recall them castigating the AFL for going soft on the rule later in the season.  Perhaps like the rest of us they realise there is little point in grumbling about the AFL's policies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, Macca said:

But as someone else here mentioned, the cost might be the reason that the AFL are using such a shabby system currently

You get what you pay for

Isn't cost the reason why the AFL hasn't changed the notion of the sub in 2023?  In that your sub is effectively dropped each week?  They don't want to pay for the development, or something to do with Champion data means that it would need to be 'patched' and the AFL won't pay.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

Screenshot_20230820_164033_Chrome.jpg

Obviously obstructed view of the ball. Oh, and I think the pair of white shoes behind might have been another ump... so perhaps one got in the way of the other....  fair enough play on.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ouch! said:

Isn't cost the reason why the AFL hasn't changed the notion of the sub in 2023?  In that your sub is effectively dropped each week?  They don't want to pay for the development, or something to do with Champion data means that it would need to be 'patched' and the AFL won't pay.  

How on earth can the AFL justify not having their own GM of football?  And how long has it been now? 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ouch! said:

Obviously obstructed view of the ball. Oh, and I think the pair of white shoes behind might have been another ump... so perhaps one got in the way of the other....  fair enough play on.

Mind you, players should play to the whistle. The boundary umpires clearly erred, but Viney was assuming they wouldn't make such a mistake. He's got more confidence in the umpires than the rest of us.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sue said:

There are so many issues about the AFL and umpiring (not the poor buggers stuck with the job) that I don't think you need a tinfoil hat to think the AFL likes it that way to keep the clicks ticking over.

The inconsistency during the heat of a game is perhaps unavoidable, but what in blaze justifies the disappearance of the dissent rule which was introduced to help recruitment of  junior umpires etc etc?

There were a few people on here who blasted anyone who dared criticise its "zero tolerance" nature as just a step too far.  I don't recall them castigating the AFL for going soft on the rule later in the season.  Perhaps like the rest of us they realise there is little point in grumbling about the AFL's policies.

I'm not totally in agreeance Sue. Inconsistency in a game IS avoidable, it shows that the umpires aren't communicating with each other on the ground, and they can't decide how they intend to interpret the rules. Then you get started on the week to week inconsistencies, and the 'rule of the week' which seems to change each week based on the media bleating.

But, the lack of a football boss for this whole season, contributes to thing that could be addressed like the fact that the AFL is basically the only major football code that I can think of in the world that doesn't have professional full time umpires. It contributes to the fact that the ARC system is feels hardly any better than webcam technology, and that it's ridiculous how the field umpire engages WITH ARC, but isn't seemingly able to ask for a review himself, it's only the goal umpires that can request the review, but then the field umpire gives the 'all clear' 

... I don't think I was finished with my rant was I  :D

  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ouch! said:

Warning: Incoming Rant:
It's not just goal umpring!
4 umps hasn't made umpiring better, it's just made them less fatigued. Decision making hasn't improved with 4 umpires. In fact I think decision making has gotten worse.

Boundary umpiring isn't any better, along with the two howlers made with Jeremy Cameron last week, Viney was clearly over the line, in clear sight of the umps, and they didn't blow the whistle and the ground ump called him for holding the ball.  But it feels like this is another area where standards are not good at the moment.

There are very few AFL umpires that can bounce the ball, and throwing the ball up at stoppages. Seriously why are they throwing the ball out 3-5m out in front of them rather than throwing it directly up in the air and exiting out the back of the contest. Why?  

Holding the ball is a subjective assessment that varies wildly not just from game to game but within a game... it's terrible.

Bite the bullet and make umpiring a full-time profession, pay for ARC technology at all AFL grounds and get a Football operations boss!!!.

Only positive umpiring thing I can say at the moment is that David Rodan is still smiling!, and since the dissent rule has all but disappeared so I can't be given a 50m penalty for this rant.

I have said it elsewhere imo having 4 umps has made consistence worse. Yesterday hawks got 2 holding the ball frees one of which resulted in a goal. Demons zero for identical tackles. Go back to 3 umps. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another side affect can be end of season team ladder positions. As a consequence effecting draft pick selections. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s completely the goal umpires fault. The umpire:

- called it a point; and

- didn’t request a score review.

under the laws of the game, points aren’t reviewed. I fail to see how this is anyone’s fault except the goal umpire’s. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 5
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, old dee said:

I have said it elsewhere imo having 4 umps has made consistence worse. Yesterday hawks got 2 holding the ball frees one of which resulted in a goal. Demons zero for identical tackles. Go back to 3 umps. 

The problem might be with the rule, not the umpires. In summary, incorrect disposal is only payable (1) if the player has had no prior opportunity and does not make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball or (2) if the player has had prior opportunity and does not dispose of it correctly. The problem is generally with part (1) - if the player has not had prior opportunity, it doesn't matter how they dispose of the ball. They can drop it, throw it, etc.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I disagree with your last sentence. Part of the problem is the AFL's obsession about speeding up the game. If defenders have to wait for the goal umpire's decision for a behind to be confirmed every time (and most will take a millisecond to confirm) before kicking in, what's the problem? 

There is also a big difference between the Adelaide decision and the Petracca decision last week. The Adelaide decision was a "howler" - the reason that the review system was introduced in the first place. The Petracca decision was debatable and not the reason why the system was introduced.

Fair call LDVC. I do think they tend to get obsessed about speeding the game up and this shouldn't be favoured over scoreboard integrity but I also think with more reviews and more waiting we're going to add much more unnecessary time onto an already long game of football. The stop-start nature of this is pretty annoying to watch and I don't feel teams that gain momentum in a game deserve to have it killed just because there's a contentious score review. 

Also if touched balls like Petracca's aren't why they brought the system in then they shouldn't be reviewable plays. It should have been simply goal line and gaps between post and then when technology and cameras ever get better, then introduce touched balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, layzie said:

Fair call LDVC. I do think they tend to get obsessed about speeding the game up and this shouldn't be favoured over scoreboard integrity but I also think with more reviews and more waiting we're going to add much more unnecessary time onto an already long game of football. The stop-start nature of this is pretty annoying to watch and I don't feel teams that gain momentum in a game deserve to have it killed just because there's a contentious score review. 

Also if touched balls like Petracca's aren't why they brought the system in then they shouldn't be reviewable plays. It should have been simply goal line and gaps between post and then when technology and cameras ever get better, then introduce touched balls.

I think after last Saturday Night, Fans at the game and at home will be prepared to wait 2-3 minutes for a CORRECT decision, rather than the disgraceful pile of [censored] the AFL served up to The Crows and The Demons 

Nobody barracks for The AFL, we follow Clubs

This Clown School has gone far enough 

  • Like 4
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I think after last Saturday Night, Fans at the game and at home will be prepared to wait 2-3 minutes for a CORRECT decision, rather than the disgraceful pile of [censored] the AFL served up to The Crows and The Demons 

Nobody barracks for The AFL, we follow Clubs

This Clown School has gone far enough 

Wholly agree. People forget about long reviews a couple minutes after they're over. The thing about the review for us was how short it seemed.

I'm now expecting an over correction on this stuff and for more reviews. I don't really care, as long as the right call is made, I can deal with an extra few minutes of a game. It's better than the frustration of wrong decisions impacting the integrity of the game.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BoBo said:

Wholly agree. People forget about long reviews a couple minutes after they're over. The thing about the review for us was how short it seemed.

I'm now expecting an over correction on this stuff and for more reviews. I don't really care, as long as the right call is made, I can deal with an extra few minutes of a game. It's better than the frustration of wrong decisions impacting the integrity of the game.

But the review process is farcical with shoddy technology.  So we'll be waiting around for skewed results

There will be no consistency and confusion will reign supreme

At a guess, I reckon I've seen about 50 reviews and nearly every time I'm none the wiser on what the correct outcome should be

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Macca said:

But the review process is farcical with shoddy technology.  So we'll be waiting around for skewed results

There will be no consistency and confusion will reign supreme

At a guess, I reckon I've seen about 50 reviews and nearly every time I'm none the wiser on what the correct outcome should be

I’m not defending the current system, more advocating for using what we have, whilst we have it in its current form, to correctly adjudicate a decision, despite if it take 2-3 minutes.

In our game the review felt rushed (I thought they were definitely calling it a goal when they did as it felt so short)and they only reviewed the side on view once (to my memory) and in the Adelaide game it wasn’t used at all but if it were, conclusively it would have shown it was a goal.

Moving forward, the AFL absolutely has to upgrade the system in the myriad of ways already listed in this thread. 
 

I also wouldn’t say I’ve seen as many as 50 reviews that were inconclusive to be fair. Definitely there’s probably been 4-5 I’ve heard about/seen where the decision didn’t seem to be correct. But this falls down on the inadequacy of the technology. 
 

My only contention is really: you can try and rush decisions to save time (and fan patience) or you can spend more time (with current tech) arriving at the correct decision. We can’t expect the current set up to be both fast and correct as it’s inadequate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 21

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 382

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 88

    POSTGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Dees were outclassed and outmuscled in its first practice hit out for the 2024 season against the Tigers going down by 23 points at Casey Fields. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 286

    GAMEDAY: Match SIM vs Richmond

    It's Game Day and it's been 156 days since the Demons were bundled out of the finals in straight sets for the 2nd year in a row. Our redemption starts here. Remember it's only a practice match if we lose. Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways Demons Squad: 1. Steven May 2. Jacob Van Rooyen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 402

    TRAINING: Saturday 17th February 2024

    On the eve of the Dees first practice match for the 2024 season a couple of Demonland Trackwatchers bring you their observations from today’s Captain’s Run at Gosch’s Paddock.  KEV MARTIN’S CAPTAIN’S RUN OBSERVATIONS Looks a a dress rehearsal Captain's run. 23 out doing drills.  Included is Will Verall, Kynan Brown, Bailey Laurie, Caleb Windsor, Blake Howes, Adam Tomlinson, Kade Chandler, Jack Billings and Josh Schache. Rehab include BBB, Tom Fullarton, TMac, AMW, Woey.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    PREGAME: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demons will take to the field in their first hit out for 2024 against another team when they take on the Tigers at Casey Fields in a Scratch Match consisting of 7 "quarters". Melbourne vs Richmond Date: Sunday 18th Feb Location: Casey Fields Gate open: 9.30am Match commences: 10am Watch: Foxtel & Kayo Inclusions: Seven-quarter match simulation Signing opportunities Kids' activities Partner giveaways What are your expectations? What do you want to see from

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 130

    TRAINING: Monday 12th February 2024

    Clayton Oliver was integrated back into the main training group today for the first time in 2024 after completing a 2km time trial. FriendlyFellow, a new Demonland Trackwatcher hit Gosch's Paddock on a hot and windy morning to bring you his observations of the session. Disclaimer: Saw on the socials they were down at Gosch’s Paddock so headed down for a quick look. Little to no presence of other track watchers and no current live thread, so as a first time contributor, giving what the peopl

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 6
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...