PREGAME: Rd 24 vs Sydney

Demonland

2 hours ago, Jibroni said:

Have reservations about the Disco selection in the final round; but naturally have to trust Goody and the match committee.

Tommo may not be the quickest player out there but he always puts in a good shift; I can understand his frustration.

Bit of an experience spin from the FD here to give Disco some more exposure and see where he's at given there's nothing to lose?

Who knows Disco might take the opportunity.  Has shown some decent form in his own right and might stick his hand up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Just an unfussed professional hit job on them.   Walk off the ground with 4pts.

Deelightful conceptualisation, beezlebub. Elegantly posited and pleasingly possible. It is a small ground, so our runners and smalls are going to be vital - expecting Clarrie to have a better 'go' this week and his partnership with Tracca to carve a hole in the Swans' home ground advantage. Not too sure that I like the 'bench' set-up but its purpose is not lost as we rotate players as needed. Could be a very big day for Sparrow with his intensity up close and long shots, and for some excellent clearances from our new star ... Rivers. Whilst we are in a stable condition with the double-chance, it would still be great if we could stamp some winning authority on the Swans with that 'unfussed, professional hit job' mantra.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

I like Turner and know nothing of him. What’s to like? For those in the know, what are his best attributes?

FWIW, May has looked proppy on and off throughout the last 4 months… good to have a week without collisions for him.

would rather Tommo who wins a lot of defensive contests  Turner last played in May i think 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:13 AM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm curious as to why you think this? It seems to me that apart from making use of Brayshaw's and Smith's versatility when necessary, the one thing that Goodwin seems intent on is that we have players with very fixed roles. Do you envisage any specific changes?

It's the vibe LDC!

I think we'll have a few surprises if our fixed plan, doesn't work. Disco might be the first. The changes I'm thinking are more a specific game plan for Collingwood as opposed to the other finalists, how we react if clubs and negate May and Lever's intercept game, switching from being attacking to defensive, how high players are playing up the ground or not and other situations. For eg. I would expect coaches such as either Scott twin, to expose Melksham's lack of pace by putting a quick defender on him. It's happened before, so how do we deal with it?  I think that's why our largely medium forward set-up will be interesting to see today. Like I said, I'm just mulling things over.

D        M          T         FP          Size         Games

Turner VFL    14      5.4        2.12      63         194/88        25

Turner AFL    9        3           2          41                                1    

Tommo VFL   23     6.4       1.5        88          194/95        23

Tommo AFL    13.    4.2        1.5      55                                8

I know who I would be selecting and it seems the Back line is more settled with Tommo

• Like 3

Who is the better lockdown defender (tall) out of disco and Tommo? Who is going to do a better job on a Daniher or a McKay (or even Cox) if they have one of those evenings where everything is sticking for them?

Recognise May probably first choice but who is next best on our healthy list?  

11 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Domination or a play on it

perhaps

Demonation

Starts with P ❤️💙

It may be that Disco was always preferred but out injured?  Now he is back and has run the rust off at Casey, the kid gets the shot they always planned to give him?

He did OK before being injured, so I think there are some solid grounds to have a look at this before finals.  The Sydney forward line is quicker and this may be why he is also preferred over AT?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buck_nekkid said:

It may be that Disco was always preferred but out injured?  Now he is back and has run the rust off at Casey, the kid gets the shot they always planned to give him?

He did OK before being injured, so I think there are some solid grounds to have a look at this before finals.  The Sydney forward line is quicker and this may be why he is also preferred over AT?

ON what basis was he preferred Cant see any thing in his stats that support that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

ON what basis was he preferred Cant see any thing in his stats that support that

Tomlinson VFL stats are bloated by the fact he takes the kick outs and they switch back through him. I would not put much direct comparison into their stats. Both have had quality VFL seasons. Experience aside, Turner offers us more defensive flexibility on who he can defend at AFL level. The only time I would defer to Tomlinson is if he is to be match on a heavier less mobile tall ie: McKay. 

• Like 6

I am not against giving Daniel "Disco" Turner a chance against the Swans.

My only two concerns are:

1) Adam Tomlinson would be better suited against the "bigger" types of Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean.

2) Wouldn't it be better to have a settled defence leading into the finals?

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

13 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Tomlinson VFL stats are bloated by the fact he takes the kick outs and they switch back through him. I would not put much direct comparison into their stats. Both have had quality VFL seasons. Experience aside, Turner offers us more defensive flexibility on who he can defend at AFL level. The only time I would defer to Tomlinson is if he is to be match on a heavier less mobile tall ie: McKay. 

Tommo is the best one on one back man we have rearely loses so again on what basis is he preferred? We have a defnesive system with Tommo which has worked well and frees up Lever also leads to more wins

Why change it now ?? What is the reason?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1