NON-MFC: Rd 19 2023

Demonland

5 hours ago, GBDee said:

If it finishes as now, the Pies could well have to beat us twice to win it all. As Dub said earlier, they’d prefer not to face us at all.

The Collingwood supporters I speak to would rather play us than Geelong in the finals, despite our win over them.

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Average defence?

Mate do you watch any of their games? Darcy Moore will most likely be All Australian as will Isaac Quaynor who's one of the best small defenders in the game.

Their midfield with now DeGoey and Siebottom back takes them up a level. They have one of the best midfield talent this generation has ever seen and will most likely win a Brownlow.

You seriously underestimate them as club, it's actually laughable. 

Yeah I gotta say I'm a big rap for their defence.

Quaynor has become one of the best 1v1 defenders around and then they have Maynard who can play tall and small. They recently got back a nice intercept defender who people may know about.

It's the way they play that can expose this backline to counter attacks but personnel wise they are right on the money I think. Statistically they are doing alright too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Expected Score:

Port: 88.7

Pies: 56.9

Another lucky escape for Collingwood.

Wow, I’d like to see what an expected score ladder looks like right now.

The pies are a fantastic team .

We beat them and were clearly the better team on the day.

The lions flogged them.

We just beat the lions.

Port are a fantastic team.

They beat us in very similar wet, tough conditions at Adelaide oval.

But it was the mirror image of that game last night - like Port we lost a game by the slimmest of margins that we should have won, and would have if we kicked accurately.

If you rate the pies and Port, on OBJECTIVE form, it is logically inconsistent not to also rate the dees.

Great game last night. But I saw nothing that changed my view the pies have vulnerabilities and that we are very well placed to exploit them.

And nothing to dint my confidence that we will win the flag.

• Like 10

As much as I enjoyed the KB win, it won't have collingwood worried at all. Missing de goey, sidebottom and Elliott, half the team sick and If it went 2 mins longer they win. Those 3 are absolute matchwinners all in their own right, and had they played they would have beaten us. No doubt. 

Yes, we were missing Oliver, but right now that looks to be the status quo so it's an irrelevant point. 

They've also since inserted McStay who looked terrific last night and gives them another dimension moving forward as well.  

There is a sense of destiny and inevitability about them, regardless of what the demon apologists and nay sayers think about their position on the expected score ladder.

They're a phenomenal team and right now, they deserve the flag more than anyone else. I'm pretty sure they'll get what they deserve. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

As much as I enjoyed the KB win, it won't have collingwood worried at all. Missing de goey, sidebottom and Elliott, half the team sick and If it went 2 mins longer they win. Those 3 are absolute matchwinners all in their own right, and had they played they would have beaten us. No doubt. 

Yes, we were missing Oliver, but right now that looks to be the status quo so it's an irrelevant point. 

They've also since inserted McStay who looked terrific last night and gives them another dimension moving forward as well.  

There is a sense of destiny and inevitability about them, regardless of what the demon apologists and nay sayers think about their position on the expected score ladder.

They're a phenomenal team and right now, they deserve the flag more than anyone else. I'm pretty sure they'll get what they deserve. 

Agree. You can add Howe too.  They don't have any weak links.

The defence first way we play means good opposition is never out of it too, so they'll be there-abouts even if we play our best.  We can beat them but a lot will need to go right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

what they deserve is to lose the gf by a kick after the siren

we're talking about collingwood!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

38 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

I'm going to disagree here as well - we smashed them on scoring shots, that's one of my metrics for performance.

8.18 to 9.8

It's still out of 4 teams. 😇

If Collingwood had beaten us like that - and we were 3 games ahead of them and favourites, I'd be hoping Goodwin and Co would be going through that match in forensic detail to ensure it doesn't happen again vs resting on the fait acompli that a few players come back would make all the difference.

Our system comfortably beat their system.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Good grief.  Another Collingwood bandwagoner.  Oliver is almost as good as those 3 collywobble players combined. 

We beat Collingwood because when the heat is turned up we go up a couple of gears. Pies have been in top gear all season but it cant last all the way through into September and GF day.  I d love the dees to rip into them in the QF final.  BANG

fr_ap.  go off and buy yourself a Daicos badge.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I'm going to disagree here as well - we smashed them on scoring shots, that's one of my metrics for performance.

8.18 to 9.8

If Collingwood had beaten us like that - and we were 3 games ahead of them and favourites, I'd be hoping Goodwin and Co would be going through that match in forensic detail to ensure it doesn't happen again vs resting on the fait acompli that a few players come back would make all the difference.

That's fair, but port smashed them in expected score last night as well.

It's a good metric I agree, but they appear to be so skilful that measuring them against a competition average conversion rate unfairly downplays how good they are. Maybe they're just more skilled than average, and expected score is less relevant? 

Also agree that our defensive system gives us a shout. I just think with those 3 players I mentioned back in, they'll have too much firepower and we won't be able to go with them. Stranger things have happened though! 

14 minutes ago, Deebauched said:

Good grief.  Another Collingwood bandwagoner.  Oliver is almost as good as those 3 collywobble players combined. 

We beat Collingwood because when the heat is turned up we go up a couple of gears. Pies have been in top gear all season but it cant last all the way through into September and GF day.  I d love the dees to rip into them in the QF final.  BANG

fr_ap.  go off and buy yourself a Daicos badge.

Oliver is as good as Sidebottom, De Goey and Elliott combined? We all love Clarry but this is just a silly thing to say and it discredits the rest of your post.

We beat Collingwood because we played a very good game, put a lot of work into their system and they were missing several gamebreakers from their lineup. They also may have been sick. Who knows.

We agree that I would love us to rip them apart in a final. Don't mistake my respect for them as anything more than arms-length admiration for what they're doing. 

Every other side's supporters were saying in 21 that the Dees were May premiers. Then July premiers. Then August premiers. It doesn't always carry through, but it can.

We also had doubters as we didn't have the credit of a prelim season the year before. This Collingwood team have been very good for a long time now. Yes, they win a lot of close games. It's too consistent to be a fluke. It's a trait. 

Definitely no Daicos badge, but again you have to respect what he's doing. He might be the single best decision maker I've seen since.... Pendlebury. In his 2nd year. He's winning the brownlow and Treloar on a recent podcast basically said he's the best footy player he's ever played against. 

I hope you're right and they falter badly, but right now you just need to sit back and applaud. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Terrible news for the kid.

😢

Hate to see that. He is star.

So good, and his loss is huge on terms of the lions chances of winning the flag because apart from being a gun, his leg speed is critical.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Yeah they have two very good defenders. We have 7. They get split open on the counter because they play very one way attacking footy. It works when it works but it’s very costly when it doesn’t. 
DeGoey has never done a thing in finals. When he does I’ll start to worry. Daicos is a star. But he’s also a kid. A hard tag and he struggles. If you’re relying on him to win a flag, good luck. They went and got Mitchell because they struggle to consistently win the contested ball. Mitchell is a contested ball winning machine but a bog ordinary kick. 

Our midfield is a level above theirs. They don’t have Clarry or Viney or a Max Gawn. Their forwardline is ordinary but it’s still better than ours. But you can’t tell me their defense is better than ours. It simply isn’t. 

The sickening love of Collingwood is driven purely by the narrative in the media. It’s fun to watch a team come back every time and win. But really good sides aren’t constantly behind and having to grind wins. Port kick straight and Pies lose. 
We kick straight and Pies lose by a lot more. 

They are a good side, but luck has played a massive part in their journey this last two years. Last year it ran out in the prelim. This year I hope it runs out when we play them. 

I want whatever you are smoking sounds great in place you are in...

• Like 1

Betting odds are interesting.

Two weeks ago we were fourth favourite, behind the pies, Port and lions.

We are now outright second favourite @ 5.50, behind the pies @ 2.75. 

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

😢

This is a huge loss for the Lions.

He's averaging 22 disposals and 5 score involvements this year for a first year kid which is super impressive. 

He's all class and suddenly Brisbane will now have depth issues with filling his spot.

I imagine Kane Farrell is not Mr.Popular on the Port boards today.  The deliberate OOB that gave Elliott a makeable shot at goal and then dropping the pressure chest mark at the death.

43 minutes ago, Demonland said:

😢

This significantly dents Brisbane’s premiership hopes. He’s helped transform their side. 

They need him far more than the pies need Daicos

A very mature and experienced Collingwood side out there last night.  One player with less than 50 games!

Average Attributes
  Port Adelaide Attribute Collingwood  
187.7cm Height 188.3cm
87.7kg Weight 87.9kg
25yr 10mth Age 27yr 9mth
104.9 Games 140.3

Total Players By Games
  Port Adelaide Games Collingwood  
5 Less than 50 1
8 50 to 99 9
6 100 to 149 3
1 150 to 200 5
3 200 or more 5

The only club near them this week is unsurprisingly Geelong at 27y7m and 145 games.

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

8.18 to 9.8

And they got 2 or 3 dodgy shots during the last 3 minutes of the game, thanks to BS umpiring.

• Like 2