Are we banged up again?

Definitely not banged up.  Still working things out with the front half.  Gawn is fine.  Coaches votes in 5 games this year in what is in effect a new role.  He missed 4 with injury but that is well and truly recovered.  Horrible conditions for big men last Thursday. Viney's style means he's going to cop plenty of hits and will miss the odd game here and there. Hibbo is a week to week proposition but fortunately we do have reasonable defensive depth - Bowey and Tomlinson both available but not selected last game.  I'm still optimistic.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Roost it far said:

On Tomlinson, a few weeks back we were calling for his head, then he played a decoy role on McKay and a good game against the Pies. Just calm the farm. I think he has a spot down back with petty up forward. I think we need to bench the resting ruckman for awhile and get them fresh for Sept. The loading may or may not be finished but the next few weeks will show. All tracking well in my opinion.

Then why wasnt that implemented Thursday..  ??   But no... shuffle out Tommo.. and Petty spudded his evening ( to be expected). Master-stroke. 

The box talks [censored]

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

If you watched Dunstan yesterday and his terrible disposal, you could not add him to our already poor disposal.

Kicked it straight to a Cats player on several occasions. Gets the pill, but turns it over constantly.

But so did Tommo...

5 hours ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

Chill out, it was a frustrating loss but lets not forget: We dominated Collingwood 2 weeks ago (Score doesn't reflect our dominance), we are coming off a bye (which does have an impact), playing Geelong in Geelong is always tough, and it was Scott's 300.

And a loss for Geelong meant their season was over.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Why do we have to have Hyperbole after every loss

Review

Petty in possibly a blunder, but he was selected to go with Cameron 

Failing to do better with forward 50 entries and all I can say is that especially in the 4th is a failure to be desperate at ground level, their second rebound goal in the 4th Fritta has an opportunity to attack the ground ball, doesn’t Geelong defender soccer’s it outside 50 and they slingshot forward. Kozzie toepokes a ball on the edge of our F50, when he could have attacked the ground ball to draw high contact or at worst create a stoppage. They exit easily again. Smith giving up front position to Stewart allows easy intercept marks.

Not moving Petty forward when Stewart is controlling the rebound and the mids getting beaten at the stoppages early in the fourth 

Theres the game we set ourselves up to win it but failed but no someone comes up with us being banged up.

FCS watch the game 

I asked the question are we banged up!? FCS read the post 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I asked the question are we banged up!? FCS read the post 

For what it's worth i think a reasonable and legitimate question.

The major cause of our straight sets exit last year was being injury riddled and a bit stuffed. 

Do i dare suggest it looks a bit that way currently??   Cue the "negative nazis" 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

The major cause of our straight sets exit last year was being injury riddled and a bit stuffed. 

Do i dare suggest it looks a bit that way currently??   Cue the "negative nazis" 

Aside from Viney, who has had two in game injuries two weeks in a row, who else are we saying is banged up here?

Listen to our head of fitness FFS. It's cumulative fatigue.

Here you go: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/selwyn-griffith-interview/id1220844996?i=1000606404637

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Negative nazis is a bit of a tautology. Nazis weren’t exactly brimming with rainbows. 

Didn’t look banged up 2 weeks ago when we beat the top team. Did we get banged up over the bye? Rest fatigue? Couch related soreness?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Why do we have to have Hyperbole after every loss

Review

Petty in possibly a blunder, but he was selected to go with Cameron 

Failing to do better with forward 50 entries and all I can say is that especially in the 4th is a failure to be desperate at ground level, their second rebound goal in the 4th Fritta has an opportunity to attack the ground ball, doesn’t Geelong defender soccer’s it outside 50 and they slingshot forward. Kozzie toepokes a ball on the edge of our F50, when he could have attacked the ground ball to draw high contact or at worst create a stoppage. They exit easily again. Smith giving up front position to Stewart allows easy intercept marks.

Not moving Petty forward when Stewart is controlling the rebound and the mids getting beaten at the stoppages early in the fourth 

Theres the game we set ourselves up to win it but failed but no someone comes up with us being banged up.

FCS watch the game 

I would like to know who is responsible for game day moves.

I would also like to know why Petty wasn’t moved forward, probably on to Stewart,  when Cameron went off.

I would have thought it was the obvious move.

Did we instruct the players to play wet weather footy and if we did, did they address it at breaks, given the players clearly weren’t listening?

The Cats played wet weather footy with more kicks than handball and constant aggression at the man with the ball and often without it. They kicked it off the ground whenever possible to gain metres, rather than try a chain of risky handballs.

I would also like to know what the rationale for Spargo as sub was and then, why we didn’t take off a ruckman.

Guess I will never know the answers.

We need to get back to reasonable disposal and goal kicking accuracy asap.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Then why wasnt that implemented Thursday..  ??   But no... shuffle out Tommo.. and Petty spudded his evening ( to be expected). Master-stroke. 

The box talks [censored]

I have no idea what the match committee are thinking. So far they've netted us a flag and I'm pretty confident their plan will net us another. If you think Tomlinson's omission from the team resulted in the loss then I suggest you do more research. He ain't that good!

30 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I have no idea what the match committee are thinking. So far they've netted us a flag and I'm pretty confident their plan will net us another. If you think Tomlinson's omission from the team resulted in the loss then I suggest you do more research. He ain't that good!

A fit Tommo beats a non fit Petty.

Its not that hard really 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I love how the 1st to over celebrate our win against the Pies are the 1st to ridicule our performance against the Cats.  Get some balance FFS 

And this is how it will always be, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

🤟agreed! Tomlinson gave up 3 goals against the Blues and they only kicked 6.  He then played on nobody against the Pies and people think he is that FB of the century 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

10 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

So no different to the rest of our midfield in the seniors?

Personally I didn't think it was that bad at all? Really do think it gets overblown with his disposal.

Petracca for instance is one of our biggest ball butchers in our team but doesn't get called out for it because he's good at other things that make him stand out. His ball use on Thursday night was horrifically bad for a player of his calibre. 

That is correct.  Obviously turnovers in general will be higher on a wet night.

However Tracc was the worst of either team with a massive 10 turnovers.

Not far behind was Sparrow with 8.  He wasn't alone though with Bowes & Stewart also coughing it up 8 times.

Edited by Demon Dynasty

3 hours ago, Redleg said:

I would like to know who is responsible for game day moves.

I would also like to know why Petty wasn’t moved forward, probably on to Stewart,  when Cameron went off.

I would have thought it was the obvious move.

Did we instruct the players to play wet weather footy and if we did, did they address it at breaks, given the players clearly weren’t listening?

The Cats played wet weather footy with more kicks than handball and constant aggression at the man with the ball and often without it. They kicked it off the ground whenever possible to gain metres, rather than try a chain of risky handballs.

I would also like to know what the rationale for Spargo as sub was and then, why we didn’t take off a ruckman.

Guess I will never know the answers.

We need to get back to reasonable disposal and goal kicking accuracy asap.

We havent been good in the wet or even slippery conditions all year Red.

15 matches in & we are still one of the worst teams going around under these conditions.

I could possibly forgive this somewhat if we played a wet weather style game under these conditions.

That we had 80+ more handballs tells the tale.

Very poor coaching and not sure what the more senior players are up to here either.

It's like we are instructed to play one way only regardless of conditions.

Anyone who's played footy, even to high school level, knows you have change things up a little, especially over use of handball and getting this balance right in the wet.

This should be happening prior to the match with players training it for a stint, at least once during the week, where forecasts show [censored] weather is highly likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

I am sure binman will be able to tell us if we are banged up, or just loading.

I don't believe that our list is nearly as 'banged up' as they were in 2022, so the loading theory is sounding more feasible.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

I am sure binman will be able to tell us if we are banged up, or just loading.

I don't believe that our list is nearly as 'banged up' as they were in 2022, so the loading theory is sounding more feasible.  

How about you listen to Selwyn Griffith, our head of high performance talk about it here?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/selwyn-griffith-interview/id1220844996?i=1000606404637

It's not a theory, it's a fact. Teams looking to peak at the pointy end of September, increase loads. We've now had three straight years of evidence between approximately Rounds 11-19 to show that marry up with going hard during the middle part of the season and how performances become patchy and inconsistent as a result.

Edited by A F

14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think that our obsession with system at both VFL and AFL level has impacted a number of young players. Rarely if ever do you see any of the youngsters playing the occasional "blinder" of a game

Kozzie looked amazing in Round 1. Looked okay when he came back from suspension. 

Goodwin and his coaching staff seem to always "Goodwin'd" the forward craft out of our forwards. Fritsch seems like the only true natural forward. Just organically suits the position. Even Hogan seemed to play progressively *less* like a forward towards the end of his time with us.

Goodwin badly needs to restart his coaching philosophy. He's really killing our KO punch atm. Our entire plan seems built around:

1. Kick to contest

2. Hope for stoppage 

3. Hope for immaculate clearance 

4. Hope we have numbers forward to kick a goal

That's it. Unless we get the perfect clearance we can scrum together enough chains to score enough. Teams basically stifle this and get numbers behind the ball. It's so easy.

You can smell JVR is so close to just annihilating a game one day but at the same time I can't see it happening because the game plan just doesn't suit that happening.

Anyone still worried about our performance should have a look at Essendon’s game tonight against Freo. They just came off their bye and they were completely gassed.

Judging by Freo’s performance against Gws one could have thought they were a bottom 4 side a week ago yet today they looked like a different team against a top 8 side.

Modern day footy is based very heavily on fitness and it shows.