PREGAME: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

Here's a huge speculative jump...

Going by @kev martin's training report, I'd say Hibbo is going to be managed again this week and Petty will replace him down back, which means we get another look at Smith forward to see how that goes. If it's successful, maybe Tomlinson loses his place to Petty the following week.

So I'm going to adjust what I'd do given those players. I'd go really tall, despite the likely weather. 

Tomlinson to Hawkins, Petty to Cameron, May to Rohan, Lever to Henry, McVee to Stengle and Salem to Close.

Hibbo doesn't provide a great deal of run anymore, although he had some impressive burst moments against Collingwood, so I don't think we'll sacrifice too much by playing the 4 talls. May to take a more offensive role this week, and Gus dropping back too.

If the 4 talls aren't working, we could swing Petty forward and rest one of the rucks more, but who knows what Selwyn Griffith would think about that. He would be trying to manage loads, so that last move may not work.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, A F said:

I'd say Hibbo is going to be managed again this week

Hibbo has prepared like this before and still found himself in the team. 

Bowey would also be out of concussion protocols. 

Petty was doing a little bit of forward work today at training. There wasn't much backline preparation out there, though May spent a fair bit of time working with D.Turner. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, A F said:

Here's a huge speculative jump...

Going by @kev martin's training report, I'd say Hibbo is going to be managed again this week and Petty will replace him down back, which means we get another look at Smith forward to see how that goes. If it's successful, maybe Tomlinson loses his place to Petty the following week.

So I'm going to adjust what I'd do given those players. I'd go really tall, despite the likely weather. 

Tomlinson to Hawkins, Petty to Cameron, May to Rohan, Lever to Henry, McVee to Stengle and Salem to Close.

Hibbo doesn't provide a great deal of run anymore, although he had some impressive burst moments against Collingwood, so I don't think we'll sacrifice too much by playing the 4 talls. May to take a more offensive role this week, and Gus dropping back too.

If the 4 talls aren't working, we could swing Petty forward and rest one of the rucks more, but who knows what Selwyn Griffith would think about that. He would be trying to manage loads, so that last move may not work.

Is Petty ready after such a long absence?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Redleg said:

I can't see May playing on Cameron.

May is not going to be chasing him up and down the ground at kitty litter stadium.

May will go to the big sook who usually stays close to goal.

I agree with Dee Spencer that it is Rivers or Hibbo or both at different times on Cameron.

Tommo will probably get Rohan and Lever will get Henry.

Salem and Judd will get Miers and Stengle.

I agree

cameron is an aerobic fwd who works up the ground

that doesn’t suit may

didnt Bergman play on cameron?

Bergman has a tank

tomlinson has the tank

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dino rover said:

I agree

cameron is an aerobic fwd who works up the ground

that doesn’t suit may

didnt Bergman play on cameron?

Bergman has a tank

tomlinson has the 

I think May will get Hawkins.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Is Petty ready after such a long absence?

No idea. 

I suppose there's an alternative world where May plays on Hawkins, Tomlinson on Cameron and Lever on Rohan, and we rest Hibbo for Oliver.

That way we can keep another small in Spargo for our pressure game.

8 minutes ago, A F said:

No idea. 

I suppose there's an alternative world where May plays on Hawkins, Tomlinson on Cameron and Lever on Rohan, and we rest Hibbo for Oliver.

That way we can keep another small in Spargo for our pressure game.

I don’t get the idea that x plays on y in a zone defence system 

is it hybridised in some way?

Edited by dino rover

35 minutes ago, dino rover said:

I don’t get the idea that x plays on y in a zone defence system 

is it hybridised in some way?

You still need to be accountable to a 1v1 opponent in a zone, it's just it can change. Most full backs and CHBs play on the same player throughout. At least in our system.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

The reality is that, too many times, we have gone down to Geelong (whether it be favourites or underdogs) and copped some awful floggings and awful umpiring decisions.

And I'm deeply, deeply scarred.

Really? We've basically never been the better team. The only time we were was 2021 and we won. 

6 hours ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

I have no problem with Geelong playing all home games, without exception, in Geelong. The problem comes when they want to move home games to Melbourne to maximise crowds. That is a bit like Gold Coast moving big-crowd games to the Gabba. It seems Geelong can have their cake and eat it too in this sense.

Fair enough 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:38 PM, Jaded No More said:

You might be right but neither Hibbo or Rivers have the height for Cameron IMO. And I’m not sure Hibbo has the legs to go with him for 4 quarters without blowing a calf/ achilles again. 

I would put Lever on Rohan because he is the least defensive forward maybe of all time, which will allow Lever to intercept more freely. Doubt Scott would let that matchup happen tho. 

I'd put Tomlinson on Cameron. He is excellent one on one, has a big tank and will allow May ti play deeper on Hawkins while freeing up Lever to intercept. Hibbo would make sense v Rohan while Lever, Riv and Salo will be able to run off the tip rats.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Really? We've basically never been the better team. The only time we were was 2021 and we won. 

Proves my point. So scarred I can't even think straight.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, kev martin said:

Hibbo has prepared like this before and still found himself in the team. 

Bowey would also be out of concussion protocols. 

Petty was doing a little bit of forward work today at training. There wasn't much backline preparation out there, though May spent a fair bit of time working with D.Turner. 

I think as it looks possibly wet and there could be a lot of ground ball, Bowey should play.

• Like 2

I think we're over-worrying about our defensive match ups on Geelong's forwards.

Port's main weakness is their one-on-one defence and it didn't end up being an issue for them because they got on top in the middle and played the game in their forward half.

IIRC Geelong are bottom 4 this year for conceding either goals or scores (or both) from their opponents' inside 50s. They are not repelling entires anywhere near as well as they did last year, and their transition game isn't as strong.

They will be missing Dangerfield and their 2023 season without (fit) Dangerfield suggests they are not a dominant midfield. Even without Clarry, if we bring the midfield heat that we brought on King's Birthday, I'm confident we can get the ball locked in our forward half for long enough to score enough to out-do whatever their forward line manages from their match-ups against us.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Max's break out. game was at the Cattery.

Oh and we beat the Cats 3 times at KP in 2021 including the memorable gaol after the siren after being 44 pts down. I know Geelong are scarred by that!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Max's break out. game was at the Cattery.

Oh and we beat the Cats 3 times at KP in 2021 including the memorable gaol after the siren after being 44 pts down. I know Geelong are scarred by that!

I was the cattery for Max's breakout game!! One of my greatest ever days at the footy! I'm just pointing out the reason geelong mostly beat us down there is because they've been much better than us, not because the ground has some mystical quality. I expect us to win comfortably on thurs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

I was the cattery for Max's breakout game!!

Was that also the same day that Jake Spencer played a ripper of a game that far exceeded anything he did before or after that wonderful match?

• Like 4
  • Love 1