PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

The Geelong game's still two weeks away.  Clarry should be Mars Bar* ready for that one.

Just a variation on the tired and overdone "Cherry Ripe" cliche.

Sorry but Mars bars are from the Mars confectionary company, cherry ripes are cadbury.

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, old55 said:

Unsure who this change is for - Clarrie didn't play last week. Harmes needs replacing as sub and that should be JJ. Otherwise it's only Bowey as mandatory out and Hibberd is confirmed in.

Both JJ & Woey played for Casey last week. Bowey is out of the 22, Harmes out as Sub. Hibberd will definitely be back for Bowey. So there will be change for Harmes. It coud be to the 22 with one of the current 22 dropped to Sub (or out of the side) or more likely to the Sub. It's a valid discussion but I agree that JJ should be ahead of Woewodin in the pecking order. 

7 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I’m realistic. 
They are in much better form than us and the one area we could get them in was the contest. Without Oliver that becomes much harder. 
We lost to Freo and struggled to beat Carlton without him. Both those sides are literal trash compared to the Pies. 
As I said, probable loss. Not a definite loss. But to expect that losing Oliver won’t hurt our chances is frankly delusional. 

Obviously it will be harder without Oliver. I don't think we struggled to beat Carlton. We won by 17 points and were never going to lose. It should have been at least 6 goals with anything remotely resembling straight kicking. We should have beaten Fremantle. Neither of these sides are literal trash compared to Collingwood, worse teams (especially Carlton) but not that much worse. We lost to Port by 4 points and I would argue Port are in better form currently than Collingwood. It will be a competitive game on Monday.

• Like 7

On 6/4/2023 at 6:56 PM, Bitter but optimistic said:

No ! I'd quite enjoy kicking the [censored] out of them while they're down.

How sweet it would be.Not quite as good as 1964

• Like 1

Just on kicking for goal.The around the corner kick used so often today was not invented by todays players or of recent times.There was a bloke from Richmond who came to MFC who did, name Blair Campbell 1960s i think?Good cricketer for vic as well

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

We lost to Port by 4 points and I would argue Port are in better form currently than Collingwood. It will be a competitive game on Monday.

If you think we deserved to win by more against Carlton, we also deserved to lose by more against Port. Only woeful kicking the second quarter by them kept us in the game. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Well done Goody ……. I love this ploy!  We will be ‘on’ from the first bounce, C’wood will respond but wilt like violets.  Go Dees!

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, old55 said:

Unsure who this change is for - Clarrie didn't play last week. Harmes needs replacing as sub and that should be JJ. Otherwise it's only Bowey as mandatory out and Hibberd is confirmed in.

Hibberd can’t replace Bowey. Too slow. He’ll be in for Tomlinson.

Gus back, who’s no good as a midfielder anyway, and a fresh mid in.

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Maybe so, we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demonstone said:

The Geelong game's still two weeks away.  Clarry should be Mars Bar* ready for that one.

Just a variation on the tired and overdone "Cherry Ripe" cliche.

Let's hope Geelong play like a Chokito, and Hawkins doesn't do McVee like a Kitkat (snapping in half) and most importantly the coach doesn't carry on like a Pollywaffle

*enough chocolate bars awkwardly wedged in there?

• Haha 6

36 minutes ago, Demonland said:

That's good in-vivo exposure therapy... presume it's been identified as a way to help the athlete get distance from the thoughts, feeling internal expeirences, that impact on behaviours when that lstuff gets loudl (externally and internally)...and back to value driven behaviour...

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Not sure how ‘pointed’ this barb was.

We value Grundy’s follow up work and he’s had some excellent moments in that aspect of the game. Goody’s giving praise for the strongest part of Grundy’s game.

Tap work, marking, defensive concentration lapses and whatever we’ve done with his decisions to handball at shoddy times rather than kick, less so. Did the Pies purely hate his style or did they just think Darcy Cameron was a better bet at his age and contract?

There’s also a significant chance we salary dump someone over the next few years, we’ve already tried it with Tommy Mc post 2020. The explosion of long term deals on big money has meant all clubs are likely to face difficult cap decisions.

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

A logical move

I'm also in favour of players practising shots on goals with earpods on pumping out crowd noise etc.

Train as you play

The tricky thing is, its not so much the noise that's the distraction, its the internal experience that shows up when the noise is there... that's the thing to focus on....

Time to get my nerd on...

Experiential avoidance, from an Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) perspective, refers to the tendency to avoid or suppress uncomfortable thoughts, emotions, sensations, or experiences. It involves efforts to escape, minimize, or control distressing internal experiences, leading individuals to engage in behaviors that may provide short-term relief but often interfere with long-term well-being and life goals.

In the context of an AFL footballer and exposure therapy with crowd noise, experiential avoidance may manifest as an athlete's attempts to avoid or suppress anxiety, fear, or performance-related thoughts and emotions associated with playing in front of a large and noisy crowd. This avoidance can lead to various unhelpful behaviors such as distraction, negative self-talk, excessive focus on performance outcomes, or even avoidance of situations that trigger anxiety, such as actively seeking to avoid playing in stadiums with boisterous crowds.

The primary goal of exposure therapy is to gradually and systematically expose individuals to anxiety-provoking situations or stimuli while preventing avoidance behaviors, allowing them to develop new responses and beliefs about those situations.

For an AFL footballer struggling with crowd noise, exposure therapy might involve a step-by-step process that gradually exposes the athlete to increasingly challenging crowd noise situations. Here's a possible progression:

1. Education and psychoeducation: The athlete would be educated about the role of experiential avoidance and how it can hinder performance and well-being. They would learn about the principles of exposure therapy and how it can be helpful in managing anxiety.

2. Creating a fear hierarchy: The athlete and their therapist would work together to create a list of crowd-related situations that provoke anxiety, starting from the least anxiety-provoking to the most challenging. For example, the hierarchy could include situations like practicing in front of a small group of people, participating in intra-club matches, or gradually playing in stadiums with increasing crowd sizes.

3. Systematic exposure: The athlete would begin with the least anxiety-provoking situation, such as practicing in front of a small group. They would intentionally expose themselves to the crowd noise while practicing specific skills, with the therapist helping them stay present and engaged in the moment rather than avoiding or suppressing their anxiety. Over time, they would progress to more challenging situations in the fear hierarchy, gradually building resilience and tolerance to crowd noise.

4. Mindfulness and acceptance: Alongside exposure, the athlete would be encouraged to cultivate mindfulness skills and acceptance of their internal experiences. This involves observing their thoughts and emotions without judgment, allowing them to come and go without trying to suppress or control them. Mindfulness can help the athlete stay present in the moment and avoid getting caught up in unhelpful thoughts or attempts to avoid discomfort.

5. Values-based action: Throughout the process, the athlete would be guided to connect with their core values and commit to actions aligned with those values. This helps them develop a broader perspective on their experiences and motivates them to engage in the behaviors necessary for growth and performance, despite the discomfort associated with crowd noise.

That'd be an invoice of $125,000 thanks. 😆

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

25 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'll wager that this doesn't happen.

Tomlinson will stay in.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

If you think we deserved to win by more against Carlton, we also deserved to lose by more against Port. Only woeful kicking the second quarter by them kept us in the game. 

Fair enough. I just stated the facts. You were the one who said we struggled to beat Carlton (did you say we should have won by more? Sorry I missed that bit), and I was just responding to your comment on that particular game. I didn't state that we should have won the Port game. Sorry, was I supposed to say that we should have lost that game by more? My apologies.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Demon said:

Just made the mistake of flicking through Wednesday's Footy Classified. Awful. Match Preview of Carlton vs Essendon. Rightly they criticised Carlton's slow ball play against Melbourne. Then they comment about how wonderful Essendon's attacking play was and conclude that it will be an easy Essendon win. Essendon had a lucky 6 point win against the 2nd worst team in the comp. I'm not saying Carlton will win but where's the recognition of Essendon's poor perfornance. Then Melbourne vs Collingwood. Melbourne's poor conversion vs Colingwood's free-flowing game (against West Coast Eagles!). Conclusion: an easy win to the best team in the comp. So superficial. Don't do a preview unless you're going to do it properly!

With only two rotations for almost all the second half the Eagles had more inside 50s than the Pies. 

And got outscored in the third.

Now, i'm guessing the Pies flat performance is related to fatigue and expect them to running over the ground against us, but still that game was hardly an example of free-flowing football or rampant Pies team. 

They also lost contested possessions, which doesn't augur well coming up against one of the best CP teams in the AFL. 

By way of comparison, we had 29 more contested possessions than the blues, who are number one in the AFL for CP.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

57 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I’m realistic. 
They are in much better form than us and the one area we could get them in was the contest. Without Oliver that becomes much harder. 
We lost to Freo and struggled to beat Carlton without him. Both those sides are literal trash compared to the Pies. 

As I said, probable loss. Not a definite loss. But to expect that losing Oliver won’t hurt our chances is frankly delusional. 

We did not struggle to beat Carlton, that game was never in doubt and we smashed Carlton in nearly every statistic and it was poor finishing that stopped us winning convincingly. 

But if it fits your narrative knock yourself out. Freo are travelling very well to if you hadn’t noticed 

No Oliver forces us to test other options and come later in the season when teams tag Oliver we can draw upon those options it’s a bit like when we were forced to throw McDonald forward in 2015 and Hunt getting injured in 2021 forcing us to throw Bowery in.

There are positives in everything you just need to look for them

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

20 hours ago, Spargonicus said:

I admit that I have some anxiety about Monday’s game, but, along with the general optimism of Tuesday’s podcast still creating a warm glow, I just discovered that there’s a show on Binge called FBoys.

I presume most of the Magpie supporter base is watching this trash, and enjoying it.

It's too intellectual. There's more than one character and it had a written script. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

Clarry's a big loss. But hoping I read this stat line on Tuesday morning

Petracca 34 disposals, 16 contested, 7 clearances. 3 goals. BOG.

Oh, and joint equal favourite $4.50 for Bronwlow. 

Entirely reasonable but what is a Bronwlow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deeoldfart said:

Well done Goody ……. I love this ploy!  We will be ‘on’ from the first bounce, C’wood will respond but wilt like violets.  Go Dees.k

Does this mean 5 or 6 Pies players will charge up to the dees coaches box and clobber Goodwin instead of Langdon?  Anything is possible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2