Trade Rumours 2023

Nascent

15 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Trading players without their consent is terrible, they don’t make enough money for that disruption.

It’s a terrible system. There’s lots of better changes possible.

But clubs do hold players to contracts. There’s plenty who want to leave and don’t make it to trade week.

Freo can hold him or open up bids to everyone else if the Pies don’t come to the party. The nature of the family issues and the Pies keenness to pay up will probably determine if Freo budge.

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to allow a player to nominate a state, but then the team is free to negotiate with all teams of that state for the best deal as long as they meet contractual requirements. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

the problem with this is that players demand trades and pretty much always get their way

if clubs had the ability to trade players under contract where they so chose, he would - as you said earlier - probably be exchanged for one of north's end of first round compo-for-being-[censored] picks and he'd be there for a year before being able to sign wherever he wants as a free agent

the trade and free agency system in afl is garbage

I’m with DeeSpencer, players in the AFL don’t make enough money to warrant being traded within contract. 

What we need to see more of is clubs holding players to their contracts and backing themselves in to keep them, or at least achieve success while they’re still on the list. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I’m with DeeSpencer, players in the AFL don’t make enough money to warrant being traded within contract. 

What we need to see more of is clubs holding players to their contracts and backing themselves in to keep them, or at least achieve success while they’re still on the list. 

More free agents too. 

McAdam should be a free agent, Fullarton too. If you’ve done 4-6 years, aren’t high paid, aren’t a young player then why even be traded?

Restricted free agency for young players, franchise tags or contracts can be used to protect really important players until they reach their own free agency.

The salary cap should take care of the rest.

And then trades can happen when it’s mutually beneficial without this ridiculous haggling and public bartering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Or do we just need Chandler to be more like him? 

Maybe, but to me Schultz is a better player. We'll see what another pre season does for Kade, but I'm not convinced he'd be in my starting 22.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Maybe, but to me Schultz is a better player. We'll see what another pre season does for Kade, but I'm not convinced he'd be in my starting 22.

They’re meant to be a similar player - good goal craft and the ability to work hard both ways. Kade had a hugely disappointing end to the year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

They’re meant to be a similar player - good goal craft and the ability to work hard both ways. Kade had a hugely disappointing end to the year. 

Agreed. It's really made me question his position in the 22. He needs to find more consistency or he won't make it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Very disappointed to hear of a good player going to the Pies. Freo really are a hot mess. 

What is the go with Sean Darcy? He could be a great replacement for Gawn long term. 

Contracted for next year but will be a RFA then. Dockers making noise about wanting to sign him up soon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I think it would be perfectly reasonable to allow a player to nominate a state, but then the team is free to negotiate with all teams of that state for the best deal as long as they meet contractual requirements. 

Imagine asking our Jessie what state he'd want to be in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Contracted for next year but will be a RFA then. Dockers making noise about wanting to sign him up soon

...but does he want to sign with them.

Let him be their Jackson.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, rjay said:

...but does he want to sign with them.

Let him be their Jackson.

LJ plays better without him. I think they'll be fine and get some picks for him.

He'd definitely be a great transition plan for Max though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

If it's pick 3 though they are taking that and running no? Adelaide didn't match doedee and got pick 19 straight away today. 

Maybe wishfully thinking but perhaps it's not band 1 like they hoped?

Yes if it’s 3 they are grabbing the pick not matching.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Agreed. It's really made me question his position in the 22. He needs to find more consistency or he won't make it.

Are we being harsh on him? He went from what 2 games as sub to 24 games. He was always bound to run out of gas. Much like Roo. 

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Very disappointed to hear of a good player going to the Pies. Freo really are a hot mess. 

What is the go with Sean Darcy? He could be a great replacement for Gawn long term. 

Looks like he needs to lose 15kg. I worry about players that size as they get older, it only gets harder to manage weight and knees/joints get worse, not better

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Looks like he needs to lose 15kg. I worry about players that size as they get older, it only gets harder to manage weight and knees/joints get worse, not better

Agreed.

Especially for an on-baller; that’s a lot of weight to be pounding around on.  I have a feeling his knees may go the way of Lance Whitnall’s.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Are we being harsh on him? He went from what 2 games as sub to 24 games. He was always bound to run out of gas. Much like Roo. 

Yeah, he needs to find consistency. The back end of his season though was like liability type stuff IMO. That is harsh, but if he could maintain that first half of his season, he'd be an elite small in the game.

He went missing far too often in the second half of the year though and failed to hit the scoreboard.

We do have to be mindful that he's gone from a few games to a whole season, week in, week out. McVee and JVR struggled at times in 2023 too, so it's all natural. But their drop off didn't seem to be as marked. That said, perhaps that's more about the position Kade plays.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yes if it’s 3 they are grabbing the pick not matching.

Agree. I'm thinking and hoping, they've been offered end of 1st or more fittingly a 2nd rounder, which explains the posturing by North. I hope the Bombers stick to their guns. Dodee received an end of 1st and is a superior player to Mackay.

North would have made off like bandits by now if they got what they were dreaming of.

Edited by Roger Mellie
Added more wisdom
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Jackson FIX said:

Freo don’t strike me as an elite environment 

You could absolutely sort it out if he’s motivated enough 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Shultz is like a small forward bull. I was keen to get him last year when out of (rookie) contract and am devastated he wants to go to the goddam filth

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Chandler is 23 years (Roo is 20) old and plays exclusively as a forward who struggled to get near it back half of the year… if he ran out of gas I am officially worried.

edit; for reference Bobby Hill and Toby Bedford are also 23 years old and those two were in peak form come finals.

Edited by The Jackson FIX
  • Like 1