Welcome to Demonland Oliver Sestan

Whispering_Jack

5 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They must know a demon supporter as that is an 'old style' scarf; not sure how long ago it was around.  Its my fave and the one I wear despite the many 'member' scarves I have received.

Also quite possible she is a demons supporter. Would make that moment all the more special.

• Like 1

Rookie picks are a long shot. So astute selection in picking any kid who can slot 24 goals. That is no easy feat irrespective of the opposition. Plenty of kids playing country leagues with enough talent to mix with it with the silver spooners who get opportunities handed to them on a platter.

• Like 3

Just now, ThreeOneSix said:

Rookie picks are a long shot. So astute selection in picking any kid who can slot 24 goals. That is no easy feat irrespective of the opposition. Plenty of kids playing country leagues with enough talent to mix with it with the silver spooners who get opportunities handed to them on a platter.

I don't disagree with your statement in the broader sense @ThreeOneSix, but I think Ses was a Xavier boy.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

I don't disagree with your statement in the broader sense @ThreeOneSix, but I think Ses was a Xavier boy.

24 goals. Well fed with that silver spoon.

There must be a story as to why the kid appears to be a relative unknown. A brief read last night on the kid is that he lowered George Wardlaws colours in a kick around. Thats impressive. Only Humpries could’ve did that. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, durango said:

I got the feeling JT has selected Oliver as a replacement of Jake Melksham/Alex Neal-Bullen in the long run.

Early aspirations like this will steer the young 'un to real points of focus in development. If the skills are there - develop these into a very good, consistent player with a 'vision' for own contribution(s). 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:06 PM, durango said:

He is built like a bull similar to Clayton Oliver or Christian Petracca and has a great kicking depth, he may turnout to be the steal of the draft.

If the MFC had him playing school footy and some U18 footy in the country to keep out of prying eyes good on them.

If that is true (deflecting prying eyes so far in advance) that would be the stroke of genius. It worked, despite Sestan's statistics.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

They must know a demon supporter as that is an 'old style' scarf; not sure how long ago it was around.  Its my fave and the one I wear despite the many 'member' scarves I have received.

Looks like they might have received a swag bag delivery from the club that most likely included the jumper Oliver is wearing so they could take a photo for the socials and it might have also included that scarf. Or either they or a friend are Dees supporters and they supplied the scarf.

Fi2dFV4UoAArdc6 copy.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The great comment from JT was that we don’t expect the draftees to play early, but rather to just develop their games.

That is just so different to the old Melbourne, where we would say that hopefully draftees would play some games next year.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It’s always hard to make any opinion off a small highlight reel, but Oliver takes one grab marks and pushes off the ground at the right moment. 
He could be a fantastic pick in future

The sort of finer points that JT is so good at discerning. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Demonland said:

index.jpeg

Got a touch of Allen Jakovich about him.

They may well be ethnic compatriots by ancestry, Jakovich's ancestry is Croatian and Sestan is a common surname in Croatia (well a friend of mine shares that surname). Looks like a decent rookie pick, worth a shot 👍

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:32 PM, adonski said:

Oh my God I was close

Screenshot_20221130_141648.jpg

Is he suggesting here that he’s downgraded his ranking of Melbourne’s drafting efforts because we selected a player with some injury concerns?

If so, he would have missed out on recruiting Joel Selwood who sustained a serious knee injury during his final year of junior football that caused him to fall to Geelong's first pick at seventh overall in the 2006 AFL draft. 

Those recruiters who overlooked him missed out on a 355 game player, long time Cats’ skipper, a quadruple premiership player, a six time All Australian (and three-time captain of that team) and a great of the game. 

What a dill!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Demonstone said:

Was that the team that kicked 100 goals in one game?  Castlemaine region?  I'm thinking 1990s.

The very same. They hold the Guinness World Record for the highest score in an official game of Australian Rules football when they defeated Primrose in 1992. 

100 - 34 - 634 

Primrose somehow scored 18 points.   

I’ve often tried to imagine how that even happened, and what that match must have looked like. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

The very same. They hold the Guinness World Record for the highest score in an official game of Australian Rules football when they defeated Primrose in 1992. 

100 - 34 - 634 

Primrose somehow scored 18 points.   

I’ve often tried to imagine how that even happened, and what that match must have looked like. 

Mansfield 39.14.248 Tatura 0.1.1. Tat led by a point at one stage and sort of fell away after that. 

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, djr said:

Mansfield 39.14.248 Tatura 0.1.1. Tat led by a point at one stage and sort of fell away after that. 

Oh dear - Tatura sound as gifted as my old touch rugby team "the karaoke koalas" 

Unlike Tatura I honestly can't recall any game where we held the lead