POSTGAME : Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

1 hour ago, BDA said:

No point focussing on the umps. Yes they were a factor but the loss was mostly down to dogs hunger and our mistakes

I was ropeable with the umpiring and furious that we lost. It wasn't just because of the umpires but seriously how was it HTB against Viney plus several others who were tackled as soon as they took possession? What happened to prior?

The main reason I was so angry was because I just didn't want to lose to that mob, I wanted us to have the wood over them mentally but they've got one back now.

On reflection we really would've won had Pickett kicked truly from 45 out directly in front or Petraccas snap rolled onto the other side of the post. Not sure what the next month holds but we really need to win next week now to keep in the race for a home qualifying final.

• Like 2

Random thoughts.

Weed played great for one quarter.

Gawn and Jackson flogged by English.

Gawn trying to do too much out of ruck contest.

Petty having five kicked on him.

Hibberd's mistake ridden game.

Kozzie's misses.

Salem not committing body anymore.

The Salem Brayshaw combination doesn't seem to work.

1 minute ago, binman said:

Our forward line worked.

Get where you're coming from, but would suggest the 0 tackles inside 50 will be talked about by the coaches this week.

Will need to watch the replay but I wonder if that was a  contributing factor to the oddly high score we gave up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

We don’t have a second key forward ready to go. Weid was only in because Brown was out. JVR needs more time.

To be fair to Weid he worked insanely hard tonight. He ran from wing to wing at top speed about 30 times. That’s part of the reason JVR isn’t being picked. He obviously doesn’t have the fitness just yet.

Maybe if we played 2 KPFs they could share the workload. BBB has been run into the ground. And I don't buy that JVR needs more time. He was playing senior WAFL footy last year.

We are at the point where it's obvious to everyone that playing 1 KPF isn't working. Selection needs to change. If Spargo is neither applying forward pressure or kicking goals, should we not look to change things up?

Edited by mo64
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

When I saw they got 59 points to half time, alarm bells were ringing for me despite the 15 point lead.

When we are truly in control, the opposition scores roughly sixty points for the match. We were clearly playing a game on their terms and lost as a result.

Yes, the umpiring was terrible at times. But the amount of dump kicks coming out of defensive fifty were where we lost this. The amount of repeat fifty entries we had against us crippled us.

On current form, we aren't winning the flag this year. We are a top 8 team for sure. But a premiership team? Not on your life.

I was saying a couple of months ago that it was us, the Lions and daylight. Sadly, the Cats are now the team to beat (their kids like Atkins, De Koning, Close and Holmes have improved considerably). At the moment, we are just making up the numbers. Things could change, but they'll need to change soon.

I'm not ready to write us off yet but next week is a must win game in my eyes. Last chance saloon if we want to make a run at it this year.

10 minutes ago, P-man said:

Odd feeling reading this thread. I’m a long way from hitting the panic button that others seem to be smashing.

I agree the lack of forward pressure and getting well beaten at stoppages are concerns, but up until halftime that was looking a lot like the ‘good Melbourne’ I’m familiar with. Some of the ball movement was as good as you’ll ever see.

Not blaming May for the loss but take away that brain explosion and this could easily be a post-match win we are discussing.

If we trust the coaches and conditioning staff to have the players cherry ripe leading into finals, we will finish top four.

Do you believe in global warming?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I thought we were pretty good for most the night, bar a patch in the third and the last.

Also thought our forward line functioned well, with 4 to Fritsch 3 to weed and 2 to Melksham.

English did kill us in the air , and Ugle Hagen was an unlikely match winner for them.

Salem has been pretty poor in every game since his return and needs to be dropped for a Bowey or Hunt, as they owned it at ground level in their 50.

That loss hurt and a pivotal moment was when Fritsch ironically chose to be unselfish instead of snapping what could have been the winner.

i was thinking something like that would happen to Fritsch. Under pressure to do the team thing, stuff up and lose us the game. I would give him licence to play on instinct every time. He was on his left and in perfect position for a snap. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, John Crow Batty said:

i was thinking something like that would happen to Fritsch. Under pressure to do the team thing, stuff up and lose us the game. I would give him licence to play on instinct every time. 

A smart forward would have caused front on contact by moving forward on him causing contact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rufus said:

Embarrassing performance. Tomlinson not AFL standard. May reaching Maxwell lvels of finger pointing while making schoolboy errors himself. Disappointed in Brayshaw. Gets enough of it and can win a contest but disposal for an experienced player is woeful. Petracca once again not near an actual contest. Getting beaten by Ugle Hagan is a pathetic step in a premiership defence.

Tomlinson flogged Bruce and with Fritta was probably the only guy to win his position. Amazing game.

It’s a hard road from here. Will be lucky to go 2-2. Get to finals, sure maybe. But our game is sooo off we ain’t doing any damage. 110pts against just shows you how loose we were defensively. 

I just want to see one game were there is manic pressure for 4 quarters - a bit like the Tigers last night. That is how our system works and how we can really embarrass our opponents. But I think its wishful thinking. 

5 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I have no idea where this question is going.

It was a reference to comment that he is a long way from the panic button on our season.. just curious as to whether he is optimistic on everything 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Hitouts - Dees 52, Dogs 23

Clearances - Dees 38, Dogs 45

Looked at it's worst in the last quarter too.

6 Day Break - and another one next week. If we are loading and trying to mimic last years performance the footy gods aren’t smiling on us like last year.

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Hitouts - Dees 52, Dogs 23

Clearances - Dees 38, Dogs 45

Looked at it's worst in the last quarter too.

+11 clearances vs Bris
+ 5 clearances vs Adel

With no Max and losing the hit-outs both games

I love Max as much as anyone, but do wonder if he tries to do a bit too much, rather than playing the percentages and allowing our mids to do their thing. 

• Like 1