Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

The Brodie Grundy Thread



Recommended Posts

The contract is the issue. The price needs to be right for us (which is nowhere near $1m. What a ridiculous contract that is)

But why posters would be arguing against bringing a 2 time AA ruckman to the club based on his ability/style is beyond me. He can adapt and thrive with us I'm sure. And we fill the gap left by LJ departing while saving the picks we get for a crack at a KPF in a year or 2 (hopefully one of the King boys).

If the price is right this move makes plenty of sense I reckon

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites



29 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Pies fans on SEN wanting a top 10 pick. Pfffft - it's a salary dump and will be a swap of later picks.

They are carrying on like a bunch of sooks. I hope it happens evermore now and that Brundy rediscovers his AA form. 

Top 10 pick though is a laugh. At best its our 2022 2nd rounder + 3rd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, BDA said:

The contract is the issue. The price needs to be right for us (which is nowhere near $1m. What a ridiculous contract that is)

But why posters would be arguing against bringing a 2 time AA ruckman to the club based on his ability/style is beyond me. He can adapt and thrive with us I'm sure. And we fill the gap left by LJ departing while saving the picks we get for a crack at a KPF in a year or 2 (hopefully one of the King boys).

If the price is right this move makes plenty of sense I reckon

If this Grundy trade were to happen we would most likely be asked to flip one of the Jackson 1st rounders to the pies.

  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RedFox said:

If this Grundy trade were to happen we would most likely be asked to flip one of the Jackson 1st rounders to the pies.

Well then no deal. This is a salary dump so the pies will have to take a second or third rounder. They have little leverage here. Take lower picks or eat his salary for the next 5 years

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I think he's more good to us as a block on Collingwood's salary cap than as a ruckman on our own team.

Surely any tall player we look at right now has to be able to contribute up forward when not rucking, and provide a marking target around the ground as well. Grundy isn't a match for the needs and there are much, much cheaper and younger players who are.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he is willing to take a dump in pay to around 750-800k i think he actually makes a lot of sense.

We were going to pay LJ upto 800k on potential.

Grundy is actually the better footballer in the ruck by a country mile.

If we want a tilt at repeated flags over next 2-5 years, Grundy would work.

Currently 3rd in line for ruck duties at Melbourne is Weid.....Max will need the help after LJ goes!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, RedFox said:

I'm not sold on the Gawn forward move. Been torched by his accuracy on goal more than once. Sure he can clunk them but it will only exacerbate our inability to convert if we lean on that move even more heavily than we are now. Would much rather chase a KPF who can put them through the big sticks with high regularity.

I don’t disagree but a ready made KPF may not be available for years. I thought Gawn’s accuracy hasn’t been too bad this season (apart from last weeks game). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BDA said:

Well then no deal. This is a salary dump so the pies will have to take a second or third rounder. They have little leverage here. Take lower picks or eat his salary for the next 5 years

Don't think we have as much leverage as you think, if Jackson leaves that leaves us with one ruckman on be list. We're as desperate for Grundy as they are to shed some $

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Personally I think he's more good to us as a block on Collingwood's salary cap than as a ruckman on our own team.

Surely any tall player we look at right now has to be able to contribute up forward when not rucking, and provide a marking target around the ground as well. Grundy isn't a match for the needs and there are much, much cheaper and younger players who are.

 

I'm keen to see your list of these players.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goodwin was asked about it in his press conference today and wouldn't deny or confirm meeting with Grundy which means he has. Also talked about the club needing to have contingency plans and that he is happy with the current 2 ruck set up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

If he is willing to take a dump in pay to around 750-800k i think he actually makes a lot of sense.

His salary won't change though. Pies will be paying the difference.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I don’t disagree but a ready made KPF may not be available for years. I thought Gawn’s accuracy hasn’t been too bad this season (apart from last weeks game). 

Gawns accuracy has been woeful .

I really thought he was passed the missing from 20 m straight in front stage. He was  alot better last year. Particularly later in the year

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bates Mate said:

Gawns accuracy has been woeful .

I really thought he was passed the missing from 20 m straight in front stage. He was  alot better last year. Particularly later in the year

It's got to the point I'd rather him bring it to ground rather than mark it.  (I don't really mean that. Or do I?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Goodwin was asked about it in his press conference today and wouldn't deny or confirm meeting with Grundy which means he has. Also talked about the club needing to have contingency plans and that he is happy with the current 2 ruck set up. 

They sound very comfortable with Gawn down forward. He actually is a great contested mark, but his shot for goal is really unreliable - similar to Trac. You are just never comfortable with either of them ball-in-hand irrespective of how close they are to goal. If he was more accurate on Friday, we win that game. Need a speical project for these two players in the offseason, where they can really work on their technique and goal kicking accuracy. 

I think it also answers our questions re KPF plans - hence making Grundy quite an attractive choice in the absence of KPF on the market. My guess is Gawn will play upwards of 70% forward and provide relief in forward stoppages allowing Grundy to setup behind the ball. Whilst we have had LJ, i dont think we have been able to maximise this setup as LJ doesnt impact the contest sufficiently on the wing hence why Grundy IMO will be a huge upgrade here. 

The more i think about it, the more im liking this. Obviously contingent on the salary we pay for Grundy and the picks we have to handover for him. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sue said:

It's got to the point I'd rather him bring it to ground rather than mark it.  (I don't really mean that. Or do I?)

I'd be happy to see him try, snap or torp it. His drop punt technique when goal kicking is awful

Edited by Bates Mate
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Treloar deal might be a useful comparison for Grundy, however, I don't think they'll get as much for him as they did Treloar. Treloar was traded (dumped) in his prime, whereas Grundy is older, perhaps at or towards the end of his prime and might have injury issues.

Bulldogs gave pick 14 and received Treloar (with a $1.5m discount) picks 26, 33 and 42

I cant see Grundy getting more than a late 2nd or 3rd rounder (or some permutation)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s obvious that the meeting took place. I think what needs to be taken into consideration here is that Brodie has a very healthy long term contract - so why would he go to a meeting for a new job? This isn’t about a manager trying to increase his value. He’s clearly been told to look around by Collingwood so they can free up money.

I’d say it’s on. Brodie wouldn’t fit in at Geelong. He’s a city kid. I’ve seen him sitting at games with his top knot, round glasses and cardigan. All he needs is a cheeseboard.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Would McEvoy be an option? He announced his retirement and is now injury free and could be a back up ruck for when Max is injured and play potentially alot at VFL where he can provide leadership to other developing talls?

Don't quite understand the whole let's get a player who just announced his retirement thing. There where some calling for Kennedy yesterday. These guys are old with shot bodies and retiring for a reason

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

It’s obvious that the meeting took place. I think what needs to be taken into consideration here is that Brodie has a very healthy long term contract - so why would he go to a meeting for a new job? This isn’t about a manager trying to increase his value. He’s clearly been told to look around by Collingwood so they can free up money.

I’d say it’s on. Brodie wouldn’t fit in at Geelong. He’s a city kid. I’ve seen him sitting at games with his top knot, round glasses and cardigan. All he needs is a cheeseboard.

I think him and Langdon would be besties

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

Don't quite understand the whole let's get a player who just announced his retirement thing. There where some calling for Kennedy yesterday. These guys are old with shot bodies and retiring for a reason

Its not that hard to understand, they usually still have a year or two where if they accept a plan b type role and aren't the 1st ruck all the time then they can fill a role cheaply when there is little else on the market. Who do you have being 1st ruck next year when max gets injured that is uncontracted next year?

Edited by Demons1858
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedFox said:

Don't think we have as much leverage as you think, if Jackson leaves that leaves us with one ruckman on be list. We're as desperate for Grundy as they are to shed some $

I don't know who else is available but I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on a second ruckman

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Its not that hard to understand, they usually still have a year or two where if they accept a plan b type role and aren't the 1st ruck all the time then they can fill a role cheaply when there is little else on the market. Who do you have being 1st ruck next year when max gets injured that is uncontracted next year?

Goldstein?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...