Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

20 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

We need to step it up. We both agree that injury has depleted our fwd line for some time. As such I think it's a big risk to hope Bbb and Tmac will come good. Despite a good season, Milk is getting on in years. Petty has his foot issues too. Fritta ditto. I hope we can find at least one, asap. I think Jvr will have a bumper season. He just needs to be a little more careful with his aggression. Would love too see a fully unencumbered Petty play fwd all year.

I don't believe we'll be relying on T-Mac or Brown but they're both contracted and if either can get reasonably fit, that's ok back up

I didn't mention Schache either but he's back up as well.  Jefferson might come on too and we have extended his contract so the MC can see something.  He's one to watch 

Where we will probably be reliant is with Petty & Fritsch being fully fit and over their foot complaints

There's a few if's & but's so fingers crossed we can get healthy up forward

Still, our backline is stellar with good depth and if we acquire 2 x midfield/ Utility types in the draft, an already established midfield will be bolstered

I'm reasonably confident going into the next year as even with our forward line woes we still won 16 games in the season proper and went very close in 2 finals

In the dark days winning 16 games was a pipedream so we've got a good team right now that just needs to be a bit better 

I can't imagine playing finals next season with a C- forward line. That would be unlikely to happen again ... as for our kicking at goal, practising under pressure is a good remedy.  And an easy thing to simulate

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

I don't believe we'll be relying on T-Mac or Brown but they're both contracted and if either can get reasonably fit, that's ok back up

I didn't mention Schache either but he's back up as well.  Jefferson might come on too and we have extended his contract so the MC can see something.  He's one to watch 

Where we will probably be reliant is with Petty & Fritsch being fully fit and over their foot complaints

There's a few if's & but's so fingers crossed we can get healthy up forward

Still, our backline is stellar with good depth and if we acquire 2 x midfield/ Utility types in the draft, an already established midfield will be bolstered

I'm reasonably confident going into the next year as even with our forward line woes we still won 16 games in the season proper and went very close in 2 finals

In the dark days winning 16 games was a pipedream so we've got a good team right now that just needs to be a bit better 

I can't imagine playing finals next season with a C- forward line. That would be unlikely to happen again ... as for our kicking at goal, practising under pressure is a good remedy.  And an easy thing to simulate

two metre tom can mark and is a good goal set shot

just saying ... ya never know

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

two metre tom can mark and is a good goal set shot

just saying ... ya never know

Yes, mentioned him in a prior post.  But Fullarton might only play if we play 2 rucks or if Max is unavailable.  Schache ends up being the spare

We tend to see the best in a ruckman once they are the main man.  Right now that is Max easily but we'll probably play 2 rucks in at least 4 or 5 games.  Unless Fullarton cements a spot.  And the seasons are getting longer for Max

Not forgetting that JVR can also ruck occasionally (more so in the forward line)  And he's not too bad at the caper - doesn't mind body contact

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lexinator said:

2 players for the price of 1, not a bad result. And we still have great draft picks to look forward to bring in high end talent. 

When Grundy is starring  next year in a way he never did or never could with us, let’s remember what we got back. Grundy unhappy and lord knows what else and then in and out of the side vs Mcadam and Fullerton. 

For mine, it’s so far so good even IF Grundy stars at the swans. 

• Like 4

On 13/10/2023 at 18:51, Macca said:

Sailing?  Olympics maybe and when Bondy ruled (albeit with his own unique style)

Melksham this year only and I've given the reasoning on the others.  We might have banked on either Brown or T-Mac being ok at the pointy end

Fact is that we went into the SF against Carlton with a C- forward line

Harsh but we were threadbare

Reminded me of the horror years of '07 - '15 (forward line)

So what do we do from here?  What if we're injury free as in 2021? Do we recruit a big forward?  Another small forward?  Another Melksham type?

Sailing ? Yes it's irrelevant on this site of course but the SailGP foiling catamaran circuit with the million dollar prize money for the elite yachting sailors of the world has been won every season since its inception by the Aussies ( a 3peat) and they are currently leading in season 4, no matter how hard the organisation tries to trip them up.

We complain about AFL manipulation and selective  discrimination.

You should see Larry " Oracle" Ellison and Sir Russell Coutts at play in pro sailing !

Australian ring ins on most every other opposing teams to keep the standards  up and to try and beat Slingsby and his crew,while conveniently "forgetting" various in race rules

Who has heard of Tom Slingsby or Nathan Outeridge, let alone Glenn Ashby  or Jimmy Spithill.?

But everyone knows about women soccer players who come 4th!

There is a woman sailor on every one of the yachts!

Back to the footy forward line..

Yet another smallish forward shipped in from South Australia?

The Dee's probably should have listed Daisy Pearce.

Anyway he'll l probably be as  good as Melksham but the Dee's need mobile big bodies with disposal skills and a repeat  appetite for contested collisions 

( imo)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/10/2023 at 23:13, Demonsone said:

Club needs to clear the air of the Grundy saga as many unanswered question what went wrong & why he wasn’t played.. just can’t be swept under the carpet! look at what the pies brought in from the 22 trade vs us, there are ur answers 

The quicker we move on the better. Why worry what Pies traded in 22? Each Clubs needs are different. A back up ruck was needed we chose the wrong one. We could have chosen Frampton as a dead end no stats forward in his GF role but it didn’t suit us. Or as a marking forward we may have used him. 
Hunter paid his way and was a solid player.

For 2024 we have traded for specific needs, for the forward line and I expect that this will alter our dynamics along with Petty all season hopefully backed up by our usual suspects and McAdam and Billing’s. Jake may  we’ll assist from Rounds 15 on I hope.  

Much more pace and skill overall and game plan reset should have us as a good attacking forward team which will be dangerous at any time of having goals runs against any opposition.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Brodie comes across quite likeable and thoughtful in that interview. Glad he says he doesn't have a bad word to say about the Dees, but that it just didn't work out and that it's the nature of the industry these days (but surely behind closed doors he'd be disappointed).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, The Lobster Effect said:

Yeah Brodie comes across quite likeable and thoughtful in that interview. Glad he says he doesn't have a bad word to say about the Dees, but that it just didn't work out and that it's the nature of the industry these days (but surely behind closed doors he'd be disappointed).

I don’t think he’d be disappointed. He strikes me as the type of guy who’d be glad to have a year with Max. He goes to Sydney as the most complete version of himself. No reason he shouldnt feel as though he isnt the best ruck in the land

Edited by KingDingAling
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Redleg said:

He wanted to play finals with us, yet we selected a bloke we wouldn’t even bring on for a few minutes.

Clearly a FD decision.

You could easily argue that cost us a PF.

Keep Telling Yourself That Season 5 GIF by ABC Network

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 3

Brodie absolutely reeks of class and I’ll be seriously impressed if he’s consistent in his interviews next year as he’ll be asked 52 times next year on whether he bears any iLL will towards the club.

As for the semi final, hindsight’s a wonderful thing and his two most recent performances as forward-ruck were average to poor, but we genuinely ran out of options and you can’t help but think that a 4 mark/1 goal performance (over T Mac’s 1 mark) and the ability to give Max more of a rest may have gotten us over the line.

I’ve mentioned this before but the Gawn/Grundy actually worked in certain dry weather games through to Kings Bday. The wet weather games in Geelong and in round 22 v Carlton spooked the club I reckon.

• Like 3