Finn Emile-Brennan

Nascent

32 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

So we can pick up this dude as a Cat B rookie if he's not picked up in the draft? Please explain?

Cheers

correct but theres rules with nominations like that, or at least there are for F/S as we saw last year with woey where if you nominate them in the national draft you have to take them, not sure how this applies with NGA, i think as FS cant go cat b but NGA can it may be different but we saw with adelaide a couple years back they nominated luke edwards son of tyson as a rookie FS only so WCE were able to nab him in the ND. i believe NGA is different were if he goes unnominated through the ND, he essentially skips the rookieA draft and gets immediately listed as cat b should we choose -which i believe we will at least for 12 months until we see how raik andrew is progressing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Herald Sun online (no link available) -

“The Demons have access to Finn Emile-Brennan as an NGA prospect this year. Considered a potential pick later in the draft, the Dandenong Stingrays defender is part of the club’s Academy given his mum hails from Mauritius. He played three games for Vic Country during the under-18 national championships and was invited to the state draft combine in October. Emile-Brennan’s kicking is his strength. Riak Andrew is an NGA prospect to watch for next year, being the younger brother of Gold Coast’s Mac Andrew. Basketballer Kyah Farris-White has signed on as a Category B Rookie ahead of the draft.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

7DB64A26-12BD-43FE-8218-569222119AE9.thumb.jpeg.40480919c43e4b802dfa5f77059ceada.jpeg 
Finn Emile-Brennan
Height: 181cm
Weight: 62kg

D.O.B: 07-05-200

STRENGTHS
+ Kicking 
+ Speed 
+ Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Strength/size 
- Versatility

“Finn Emile-Brennan is a Melbourne Next-Generation Academy member, and a small running defender. He has some outstanding traits that catch the eye, but at 64kg, the Dandenong small still has a way to go to compete against senior bodies. One benefit of Emile-Brennan's game is that he is quite often the chosen distributor, with his kicking ability among the best of the crop.

At times, Emile-Brennan can bite off more than he can chew by looking for that 45-degree pass, and he is inconsistent in terms of his impact per game, but when he is on, he can certainly influence a match. He has that speed and evasion combination, but the fact he is quite light and raw, as well as not having played much outside the defence, the Vic Country representative is expected to slip outside the first 40 picks.

That is good news for Demons fans, who should be able to add Emile-Brennan to the mix if Melbourne opt to do so. He has high upside for his strengths, and though likely a long-term prospect, he still competed for Vic Country at the AFL Under 18 Championships. Naturally he is a very outside player, with just three of his 32 possessions at the carnival being in a contest, but he fortunately uses it well when given time and space.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Two clubs have made decisions about nominating players through the Next Generation Academy process.

• Essendon nominated Tiwi Islander Anthony Munkara; but

• Adelaide decided not to commit to North Adelaide forward/ruck Isaac Keeler, who will instead be in the open pool in the national draft.

Any news on what Melbourne’s done with Emilie-Brennan?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Two clubs have made decisions about nominating players through the Next Generation Academy process.

• Essendon nominated Tiwi Islander Anthony Munkara; but

• Adelaide decided not to commit to North Adelaide forward/ruck Isaac Keeler, who will instead be in the open pool in the national draft.

Any news on what Melbourne’s done with Emilie-Brennan?

Almost no chance, likely have one rookie addition and it will be a live rookie pick, may also keep a spot open for a train-on player.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:

Almost no chance, likely have one rookie addition and it will be a live rookie pick, may also keep a spot open for a train-on player.

What is the effect of, or reason for, nominating a NGA player now?

Edited by Redleg
  • Thinking 1

20 hours ago, Redleg said:

What is the effect of, or reason for, nominating a NGA player now?

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it activates the bidding process in the draft system which is all computerised now.  Without nominating, another club just picks him with a pick after 40 and he is theie player/pick. If he's nominated as an NGA when they pick that player in the system, it becomes a bid with the option to match or not.  I also think it gives the nominating club the option to category B rookie the player before the rookie draft if he doesn't get drafted in the national draft, like we did with Andy Moniz-Wakefield.

• Like 5

Unfortunately, the AFL haven't published a list of the nominated NGA players.  All we have is snippets from the media for a couple of the more high profile ones.

Last year I couldn't find a pre-draft reference of our intention to nominate AM-W but at some stage we did.  I'm wondering if the same has happened with FE-B...

If we do want him we have several options to fit him into the list by changing the mix of the number of senior and rookie players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it activates the bidding process in the draft system which is all computerised now.  Without nominating, another club just picks him with a pick after 40 and he is theie player/pick. If he's nominated as an NGA when they pick that player in the system, it becomes a bid with the option to match or not.  I also think it gives the nominating club the option to category B rookie the player before the rookie draft if he doesn't get drafted in the national draft, like we did with Andy Moniz-Wakefield.

Thanks Ivan.

• Like 1

i can't remember which thread it was in but we were discussing how many hyphens we'd have on the list if FEB was added to KFW, AMW and ANB well southampton had 4 hyphens in their matchday squad in the premier league last night and have a 5th who was out injured and given how the squad sizes compares thats quite impressive

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2022 at 2:39 AM, IvanBartul13 said:

If that’s the case, it pretty much sounds the death knell on the NGA system for the non northern states. 

Emile-Brennan is a 2022 Vic Country representative. If an academy player in that category can’t be selected within the first 40 picks but isn’t thought of as worthy of selection beyond 40 then there doesn’t seem to be much scope for NGA players. Unless the AFL subsidises the system, it’s looking like a complete waste of money going forward.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

If that’s the case, it pretty much sounds the death knell on the NGA system for the non northern states. 

Emile-Brennan is a 2022 Vic Country representative. If an academy player in that category can’t be selected within the first 40 picks but isn’t thought of as worthy of selection beyond 40 then there doesn’t seem to be much scope for NGA players. Unless the AFL subsidises the system, it’s looking like a complete waste of money going forward.

100% agree

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Not sure what you are meaning, Jack?

Like you, I don't really see much point in club's investing in academies if they don't get access to the good players they develop, but the Emile-Brennan situation, if indeed the club as I suspect has not nominated him, would merely be down to a recruiting/list management decision from the club.  I don't how club's thinking specific NGA graduates aren't good enough or the right fit for their list is relevant to evaluating the system.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IvanBartul13 said:

Like you, I don't really see much point in club's investing in academies if they don't get access to the good players they develop, but the Emile-Brennan situation, if indeed the club as I suspect has not nominated him, would merely be down to a recruiting/list management decision from the club.  I don't how club's thinking specific NGA graduates aren't good enough or the right fit for their list is relevant to evaluating the system.

Complete waste of time, has been since the start.  Sydney spends a lot of effort as they like gws, gcs and Brisbane have everything to gain by developing players, the rest just sign players host a couple of training sessions and have little interest 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I've also read that the draft won't go much past the 40's if that. If it goes to say 46, what on earth is the point? I assume it'll just fizzle into picking up NGA players that aren't drafted as a Cat B rookie and clubs will scrap their programs.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IvanBartul13 said:

I’m meaning that investment in NGA’s by the individual clubs outside the northern academies isn’t justified because of minimal access to players of quality now that they’re limited to outside the top 40 picks. If an NGA Vic Country rep in FE-B isn’t considered worthy of a nomination by his allocated Club, whether by reason of a recruiting/list management decision or any other reason, then the range of players who are going to get selected under the NGA system has to be extremely limited especially when club spending is capped anyway. I’ve had the opportunity of observing at close quarters how another club’s NGA works, how many coaches, assistants and admin staff plus resources are put into the system and it simply can’t be cost-effective given the current selection restraints.

FE-B has good disposal but he’s slight and would struggle to find a place on an AFL primary list. Nor do I see him as the type who would fit into our rookie list (Cat A or B) at this stage of his development. He reminds me of some of the players who appear in Casey games as “23rd men” and perhaps that should be where he plays if not drafted.

His best chance in that case might be to follow in the footsteps of former Demon NGA Deakyn Smith who initially missed out on being drafted but is now going into his third season as a rookie after becoming a pre-season supplemental selection in March 2021. 

• Like 4

On 10/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Turner said:

correct but theres rules with nominations like that, or at least there are for F/S as we saw last year with woey where if you nominate them in the national draft you have to take them, not sure how this applies with NGA, i think as FS cant go cat b but NGA can it may be different but we saw with adelaide a couple years back they nominated luke edwards son of tyson as a rookie FS only so WCE were able to nab him in the ND. i believe NGA is different were if he goes unnominated through the ND, he essentially skips the rookieA draft and gets immediately listed as cat b should we choose -which i believe we will at least for 12 months until we see how raik andrew is progressing

I don't think we can pick up E-B as a Cat b because we already have the maximum in Cat B rookies. I think he can be picked up as a cat A rookie like D.Smith was.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:56 PM, WERRIDEE said:

I don't think we can pick up E-B as a Cat b because we already have the maximum in Cat B rookies. I think he can be picked up as a cat A rookie like D.Smith was.

It's always been 3 x Cat B Rookies. It went to 2 only for the Covid years. There's been no official word yet, but all the talk is that list sizes and salary cap will be back to normal for 2023.

• Like 2