NON-MFC: Round 1, 2022

Demonland

I can take most of what I need to know about this game from these stats: Richmond had 55 fewer possessions than Carlton but also had 10 fewer tackles, and only laid 32 tackles for the game.

Non-existent pressure from Richmond. 

Carlton is clearly a better side than last year; mentally last year 20 down at the start of the 4th quarter they'd most likely have gone to water. But I don't think Richmond showed up tonight. Whether or not that's because they're too old and cooked for 2022 remains to be seen.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Worst case scenario we are in the eight after the first round.

14 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Might have gone to early.

8 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Nope we have three points on them. Would hate them to have been higher even for only one week.

Gotta love a full-blown convo with oneself 😆

• Like 1

I hate to say it but Carlton looked alright but the tigers play well for the first 20 minutes and then go to water. Now we will have to put up with Carlscum being touted as premiership favourites because they beat the tigers.

4 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

So last year’s 13th beat 12th - warm up for the parade on Lygon St

...and they still got 72,000 or whatever it was

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Carlton to finish top 6 and win a final.

Lock it in.

I reckon let's reserve judgment until next week.

Carlton plays the Dogs at Marvel. Richmond plays GWS at the G.

Very easy to read a lot into Round 1. I'm not convinced Richmond showed up tonight. Let's see if Carlton reproduces that same form vs the Dogs.

They do have a good draw this year though, with return games against Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide, GWS and Collingwood (just the one 2021 finalist in that crop) and 16 out of their 22 games at either Marvel or the MCG.

10 minutes ago, monoccular said:

One thing for sure - they won't get 28 frees to 20 next week - they play the Bulldogs.

Could be a nill all draw then both to get 100 frees 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

I’ve been bullish on them, I think they could be top four.

They should easily account for the Bulldogs next week.

I’d like to see them over a period of time but they do look deep in the midfield, plenty up fwd but if McGovern goes down… they look light on in defence.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I reckon let's reserve judgment until next week.

Carlton plays the Dogs at Marvel. Richmond plays GWS at the G.

Very easy to read a lot into Round 1. I'm not convinced Richmond showed up tonight. Let's see if Carlton reproduces that same form vs the Dogs.

They do have a good draw this year though, with return games against Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide, GWS and Collingwood (just the one 2021 finalist in that crop) and 16 out of their 22 games at either Marvel or the MCG.

They looked super impressive against us on 3 March and carried their form into tonight.

Carlton’s clear point of difference is their ability to smash their opposition in clearances  and have big bodied high possession midfielders that kick multiple goals. For example Cripps and Kennedy have kicked a combined 10 goals across the AAMI game and rd 1.

I know it’s early as you pointed out but I’m impressed thus far.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I can take most of what I need to know about this game from these stats: Richmond had 55 fewer possessions than Carlton but also had 10 fewer tackles, and only laid 32 tackles for the game.

Non-existent pressure from Richmond. 

Carlton is clearly a better side than last year; mentally last year 20 down at the start of the 4th quarter they'd most likely have gone to water. But I don't think Richmond showed up tonight. Whether or not that's because they're too old and cooked for 2022 remains to be seen.

Absolutely. Carlton deserved the win and then some.  24 more inside 50's, 11 more scoring shots.  it should have been an easy win

The Tigers are done.  Cotchin, Reiwolt etc are past it.  wont make finals imo

Once the pressure goes, they are exposed for talent.  Martin is the only exception and he will no doubt win them a few games

Edited by DubDee
  • Like 3

With Walsh to come back into their midfield brigade, unfortunately i think Carlton could easily finish top 6.

They're building a very good list and the extra midfield depth has certainly helped. Playing group look rejuvenated under Voss and I think they were a lot better defensively then I've seen them the past couple of years.

If Curnow stays injury free he could be an X factor for the blues as he continues to build with each game.

Still spewing we missed out on Cerra...

• Like 3

Never saw one play on from under distance kick tonight saw several kicking in danger and several push in back, and yes Cripps could throw it at the umpire and still not get freed against.

• Like 1

Gee that was a tough one to watch.

I marginally wanted Richmond to win but not by much. If they deep sixed Carlton, we never would have heard the end of talk about how ‘OMG! Richmond are back!!!’

That said, I’ll never forget how insufferable those Carlton supporting flogs were when they got all those draft picks and Judd at the end of the ‘00’s. I worked with a great heap of them at the time and it was highly satisfying seeing them fall in a heap from 2014 onwards.