Rod Grinter on the Front Bar

I've never heard him speak before. He was highly entertaining, without being at any way buffoonish. Clearly a solid Melbourne man.

I have great respect for all footballers, but those that played for us in the dark days between the mid-1960s and mid- 1980s and have stayed loyal to the club ever since deserve special credit.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I've never heard him speak before. He was highly entertaining, without being at any way buffoonish. Clearly a solid Melbourne man.

I have great respect for all footballers, but those that played for us in the dark days between the mid-1960s and mid- 1980s and have stayed loyal to the club ever since deserve special credit.  

Hop on YouTube and search up his interview with mike Sheahan (talking mike), it’s thoroughly enjoyable 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Watching Grinter onfield is still a particular treat of being a Demon fan;  it is difficult to imagine these days how to explain his sacrifices and 'extra efforts' for the sake of a club that was stressed to the eyeballs and struggling to win a game. He was a tough nut, he was more than merely heroic in games, he was largely unstoppable, he had the best passing foot across all distances that you might ever see in a lifetime; he was also a sacrificial lamb.He, like so many ex-players in his company under his marshalling, alongside so many of his fans and onfield observers stayed loyal to the Club and his guiding brilliance.

• Like 3

For those of us lucky enough to have attended the final training session at the Junction Oval before the 88 grand final, we remember how, at the end of training, Grinter led the final lap of the ground to the cheers of the supporters. Rod always led from the front on his own with his chest pumped out.

A great leader and inspiration.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

He was a tough nut, he was more than merely heroic in games, he was largely unstoppable, he had the best passing foot across all distances that you might ever see in a lifetime; he was also a sacrificial lamb.He, like so many ex-players in his company under his marshalling, alongside so many of his fans and onfield observers stayed loyal to the Club and his guiding brilliance.

He was brilliant, and unfortunately his white line fever will be what he was remembered for.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Grinter talked on The Front Bar about a WhatsApp group of 100+ former Melbourne players.

I wonder whether ex-players actively involved with other clubs, such as Luke Beveridge, Neville Jetta and Shannon Byrnes are in that group?

Yes they are. Anyone who played at MFC

and Neale Daniher

• Like 1

Yep he was a very good footballer but unfortunately he's remembered by supporters of other clubs as being a thug. It's a disservice to his reputation because he was a highly skilled and tough footballer. The only bloke who has been able to shut Terry Wallace up too 🤣

The clip they showed on the front bar where he was looking after Yeats and then gave a quick jab to the guts to Andy Goodwin(?) had me in stitches. How can you not love the guy.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

His toughness and aggression was well known. Because of his uncompromising style he was hunted all the time. He copped some huge hits but it never bothered him. Always bounced up and played on as if nothing happened. He was almost indestructible. He was unique in that regard and he wasn’t a huge man either. Looked like the normal man in the street. 

• Like 1

I remember a game at Waverly when Brereton cleaned up Chiron at the opening bounce creating mayhem.
The only bloke he didn't wanna take on was Grinter.
Every club had a hard man and he was ours.
God love 'im.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yep he was a very good footballer but unfortunately he's remembered by supporters of other clubs as being a thug. It's a disservice to his reputation because he was a highly skilled and tough footballer. The only bloke who has been able to shut Terry Wallace up too 🤣

The clip they showed on the front bar where he was looking after Yeats and then gave a quick jab to the guts to Andy Goodwin(?) had me in stitches. How can you not love the guy.

I was pleasantly surprised that they led with video highlights of his skills. Balls was a superb kick off both sides, an excellent overhead mark, had great hands and was solid one on one when playing in defence. Was also pleased they didn't drag out the Wallace incident. Although Rodney left them more than enough material to not have to go there.

His 'retirement" was weird. What a way to find out !

• Like 3