Farewell Luke Jackson

Lucifers Hero

It could be a nice touch if we announce his contract extension in late July, just a few days before we play Freo in Perth.:cool:

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Nothing to be ahead of. There’s been talks since the GF about it. Much like Petraccas extension last year. Almost exactly the same. Gus will stay, Jackson is still making up his mind but his manager will be in Melbourne next week.

How do you know LJ is still  undecided.  Inside source? It seems ridiculously drawn out. Surely he' made up his mind and simply a matter of the money pool with the other players.

19 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Nothing to be ahead of. There’s been talks since the GF about it. Much like Petraccas extension last year. Almost exactly the same. Gus will stay, Jackson is still making up his mind but his manager will be in Melbourne next week.

Well done on the Clayon Oliver call mate!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, drysdale demon said:

I'm disappointed that there hasn't been a comment on Jackson leaving in the last 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Sorry I was a few minutes late.

One thing we know for sure any player that re signs with his club including LJ and Gus if they do, will use the same old line” I was never leaving, I love the boys and the club”.

You are going to get docked.

13 minutes ago, deebunked said:

How do you know LJ is still  undecided.  Inside source? It seems ridiculously drawn out. Surely he' made up his mind and simply a matter of the money pool with the other players.

Holding off right now isn't a bad thing for him as with Gawn out, it's the first time we really get to see what he can do as the number 1 man.  

If he turns it on, he might jag another 10% on his Demons offer - enough for a deposit on another house or two over the next couple seasons and set himself up life.  It might also add a year or bigger increase in $$ to the external offer as everyone finally gets to see him in action full time in the midfield other than the glimpses we catch when Gawn is on the pine/resting up forward.

If he struggled then it would be fine anyways as it would be highly unlikely we/others would reduce the offers made.

Sadly, he holds all the cards right now as if he wants to go, we'd be supportive as that's what good clubs do these days.  

39 minutes ago, 12345_54321 said:

Nailed it again..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the Oliver signing now means that Jackson will probably leave. Money. Hmmmm. Just putting this out there and I  certainly hope it doesn't happen. We need to keep Jackson.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

I’m getting vibrations that the LJ issue is feeling a bit like Hoges.

“We want you to stay sure”……….but in the back room dealings,……..”what can we trade him for”.

Somebody has to walk the plank voluntarily or be pushed out, surely it’s not going to be Brayshaw or Harmesy.

• Facepalm 2
  • Shocked 2

58 minutes ago, deebunked said:

It’s a big decision for a 21 year old with the world at his feet. His decision has nothing to do with money. It’s going back to his family or staying at the Dees. It’s as simple as that. He’s torn, but loves the club, loves the boys and the club feel the same way about him. I THINK he will eventually sign, but a young guy offered a stupid amount of money to go back to his home state will obviously take time to make the best call for him and that’s his management and Melbourne are encouraging. There’s no pressure, yet. 

• Like 6

I am 100% confident of one thing 

This thread is easily going to make 100 pages before we know what LJ has decided 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Seems Brayshaw will stay but Jackson will seek to have back west. 

Freo won’t give up Brayshaw, who may win the Brownlow and is their next captain. If forced, I’d take Young or Serong and a first rounder for Jackson.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Seems Brayshaw will stay but Jackson will seek to have back west. 

Freo won’t give up Brayshaw, who may win the Brownlow and is their next captain. If forced, I’d take Young or Serong and a first rounder for Jackson.

Serong would be the one. Hayden Young is signed up until 2027

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree.

As a middle aged man, what I’m about to say is completely pathetic, but I watch how enthusiastically these kids sing the club song each week - in particular Luke Jackson (and also Clayton Oliver) - and, in my observation, Luke seems to be right into the club and his teammates.

Unless he’s a complete sociopath (which I don’t believe he is) and the money’s commensurate (which I expect it will be), I just can’t see him leaving.

As an aside, now that Clarry has signed a 7 year extension, I won’t ever watch his enthusiasm when singing the club song ever again. Certainly not for another 6 years at least. I now have other targets.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I agree.

As a middle aged man, what I’m about to say is completely pathetic, but I watch how enthusiastically these kids sing the club song each week - in particular Luke Jackson (and also Clayton Oliver) - and, in my observation, Luke seems to be right into the club and his teammates.

Unless he’s a complete sociopath (which I don’t believe he is) and the money’s commensurate (which I expect it will be), I just can’t see him leaving.

As an aside, now that Clarry has signed a 7 year extension, I won’t ever watch his enthusiasm when singing the club song ever again. Certainly not for another 6 years at least. I now have other targets.

I also find it weird that he’s seriously thinking about leaving but his socials are always covered in Melbourne news, he’s playing his heart out, celebrating with passion and seems really engaged in the club. 

I am sure if he does leave it will be with a very heavy heart. There is nothing to suggest he will love Freo or West Coast the way he loves Melbourne. Leaving a fantastic work place is a big big risk, because they are far and few between. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I also find it weird that he’s seriously thinking about leaving but his socials are always covered in Melbourne news, he’s playing his heart out, celebrating with passion and seems really engaged in the club. 

I am sure if he does leave it will be with a very heavy heart. There is nothing to suggest he will love Freo or West Coast the way he loves Melbourne. Leaving a fantastic work place is a big big risk, because they are far and few between. 

Player agents.

They love to muck stuff up.

47 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Very true. There is no guarantee he will gel with the team as he has with MFC - unlikely - but the culture is an unknown as all the dirty secrets and detractions will not be on show when he meets with WCE or Freo officials.  

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

Maybe the Oliver signing now means that Jackson will probably leave. Money. Hmmmm. Just putting this out there and I  certainly hope it doesn't happen. We need to keep Jackson.

Why?

List mgt is across the club as a whole and do you thinl the Boatd will approve a deal overpaying oliver and not leaving enough for others.

That's the path to mediocrity.

We dont know the money clarry is on nor the contract payment timing. Neither does the media.

Why won't the club and team take collectively less for the sake of a once in a lifetime dynasty? . A la the Cats.

I think they will. Luke included. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 12345_54321 said:

It’s a big decision for a 21 year old with the world at his feet. His decision has nothing to do with money. It’s going back to his family or staying at the Dees. It’s as simple as that. He’s torn, but loves the club, loves the boys and the club feel the same way about him. I THINK he will eventually sign, but a young guy offered a stupid amount of money to go back to his home state will obviously take time to make the best call for him and that’s his management and Melbourne are encouraging. There’s no pressure, yet. 

so why not sign a 3 year deal with MFC on good money and look to the bigger money in future he is only 21 plenty of time

• Like 2