FINALS: QF vs Brisbane

titan_uranus

8 hours ago, Pates said:

I find it interesting that Tassie are considered an option. Who would actually willingly want to play there? If Tassie are an option than Alice should be as well. 

But I reckon Adelaide will be the best option, make Brisbane travel and we play AO quite well. Still in disbelief that we’re in this situation. Firstly that we’re top of the ladder at the end of the H&A season, and secondly that finally having achieved this we don’t get our earned advantage. 

Not sure if i like adelaide.

We might all get stuck there and have to play port.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

So we can choose a Tassie venue, interesting. I like the idea of us choosing Hobart.

Over thinking it I’m sure but longest trip for Brissy (ruling Perth out as I don’t think that is an option we’d take), BBB goes well there, we’ve played a few games there in the last few years including a win this year, only the 1 win but we’re not playing North (lols) and Brissy doesn’t have a great record in Tassie.

No thanks the wind down there which is often 2 to 4 goals would make the win of the coin toss too significant on the outcome.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CYB said:

I’d be more afraid of the Dons to be honest. There quick ball movement is our kryptonite 

I had a true to life dream we played them in a GF about 3 years ago (obviously relating to something that was due to happen in the future) and the game was still undecided with 5 minutes to go!  Pretty sure it was at the G though.

Edited by Rusty Nails

1 hour ago, FarNorthernD said:

At Adelaide Oval

Melbourne 7 wins 5 losses

Brisbane 2 wins 6 losses

Thanks mate.

What's the capacity limit this weekend?? Need as many SA Melbourne supporters to get to the game and make as much noise as possible. 

Watched the full game of Lions v Eagles yesterday. Must have known that it’d be Dees v Lions. 

Lions have scoring power in Daniher (45 goals) Cameron (47) McCarthy (34) Mcstay (28) and Bailey (28). Cockatoo and Coleman looked dangerous yesterday. 
Highest scoring team v our best defence.
Huge game v May Lever Smith Salem Smith Bowey Rivers. (likely to miss Hunt again)  

Tough contested midfield a lot like ours.
Oliver Trac Viney Harmes Brayshaw Langdon. 
Zorko Neale Lyons Mccluggage Robinson Berry.  
No backwards steps from either team here. Monster midfield battle. 

One KEY ISSUE - red alert DANIEL RICH  yesterday had 29 disposals 24 kicks  874 metes gained  “Great”. He was so damaging.  Need to somehow negate him through a Neal-Bullen or Melksham style accountable half forward.  It could be the difference. Rich is their quarterback alongside Birchall. They get into their hand for kicks inside 50 or disposal in kick outs. Rich can break the zone with 60+ metre kicks. 

Gawn v Mcinerney    Master v Apprentice   It’s a big battle and Maxy showed how important he is. This could be where we win the game.   
Jackson  v Fullerton . The young supporting rucks  very similar athletes. Love to see LJ bring his 2nd effort footy back in the finals  

Our enigmatic forwards v a disciplined lions defence.  Kozzzzzy is the wildcard here and our best shot at breaking them. He was the difference earlier in the year.  Adams Ahchee Andrews Lester Birchall Starcevich.   Brown Tmcd Fritsch Spargo Kozzy.   It’s well matched. 

It’s going to be a huge test ahead. Each week we get closer. Bring it on. #DeesBelief2021

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

One KEY ISSUE - red alert DANIEL RICH  yesterday had 29 disposals 24 kicks  874 metes gained  “Great”. He was so damaging.  Need to somehow negate him through a Neal-Bullen or Melksham style accountable half forward.  It could be the difference. Rich is their quarterback alongside Birchall. They get into their hand for kicks inside 50 or disposal in kick outs. Rich can break the zone with 60+ metre kicks. 

What about Harmes/Viney doing a negating job on him. Both can be damaging in the other direction. 

It’s an inter scenario that has developed for us in that we’re now facing one of the form teams of the comp and they will be riding just as high from their last minute jump into the 4. We could’ve instead be playing a dogs team that have fallen into a heap, but equally dangerous.

The Lions can be a bloody good team and can hurt you quickly if concentration drops (which it did for us in that 10min 2nd quarter spell). My concern is that when we started losing the centre clearances we looked completely out of it and the Lions have a really good midfield that can win a lot of the ball. 

9 hours ago, Pates said:

Firstly that we’re top of the ladder at the end of the H&A season, and secondly that finally having achieved this we don’t get our earned advantage. 

Swings and roundabouts. I don't think we would have got the advantage in the first place if their was a crowd there last night influencing the umps and the outcome of the game

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adelaide makes the most sense. We play well there. It’s a shorter trip for us than Brisbane. We would have more fans than them in the stands. And there’s a high chance we play there again anyway so good practice. 

Oliver said post match he likes to play there. Good enough for me. 

• Like 8

Reckon Adelaide is the go. Short distance to travel. There's a chance we will play a GF there so best familiarise ourselves with the ground. And after our epic comeback at the cattery last night I doubt playing Port there in a GF will hold any fears for this group of players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What sort of crowd will they get in Adelaide for Melb v Bris? Surely if it's less than 10k there's no argument to move it

That hasn't been highlighted. Can't see many in Adelaide coming out for an early neutral final.

Do you remember the season when Port supporters stayed away from the first final in droves saying the cost was too high and that they would keep their money for the prelim.

• Like 1

Weather in Adelaide next Saturday nothing fantastic... note the winds

Min 10
Max 16
Shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 3 mm
Chance of any rain: 50% http://www.bom.gov.au/images/ui/weather/rain_50.gif

Adelaide area

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. Winds northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h turning westerly 25 to 35 km/h during the morning.

7 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

If we beat Lions and Port win and then cats win their second final we play Geelong again in a prelim....is this correct?

Correct but i reckon the cats will bow out in straight sets and either GWS or Sydney will come through instead

• Like 2

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Lions have scoring power in Daniher (45 goals) Cameron (47) McCarthy (34) Mcstay (28) and Bailey (28). Cockatoo and Coleman looked dangerous yesterday. 
Highest scoring team v our best defence.
Huge game v May Lever Smith Salem Smith Bowey Rivers. (likely to miss Hunt again)  

There have been various tactics used this year in an attempt to negate the influence of Lever and May, but I thought early on against Brisbane that Fagan's was the best - with Brisbane's attacking thrusts going to around the 60m mark initially and then a quick chip in. We overran them (and it's great that we have another opponent that we have successfully fought back against before), but it was effective and I wonder if they will attempt it again. The interesting factor - I had forgotten that that game was played at the SCG. Brisbane is the team I fear the most in this year's finals, particularly in a qualifying fixture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skuit said:

There have been various tactics used this year in an attempt to negate the influence of Lever and May, but I thought early on against Brisbane that Fagan's was the best - with Brisbane's attacking thrusts going to around the 60m mark initially and then a quick chip in. We overran them (and it's great that we have another opponent that we have successfully fought back against before), but it was effective and I wonder if they will attempt it again. The interesting factor - I had forgotten that that game was played at the SCG. Brisbane is the team I fear the most in this year's finals, particularly in a qualifying fixture. 

Remember they don’t have Hipwood anymore. 
I think their forwards can still stretch us. But as always it comes down to the midfield. We need to match them in contested possessions and clearances. Do that and we win. Their defense will struggle if we keep moving the ball quickly inside 50. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Weather in Adelaide next Saturday nothing fantastic... note the winds

Min 10
Max 16
Shower or two.
Possible rainfall: 0 to 3 mm
Chance of any rain: 50% http://www.bom.gov.au/images/ui/weather/rain_50.gif

Adelaide area

Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. Winds northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h turning westerly 25 to 35 km/h during the morning.

An Adelaide 7 day forecast is as reliable as a Politicians word. I would not be too concerned.

13 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

What's wrong with playing our first final at the G??  We've earned that right.  Why has everyone caved and pandering so easily to the AFL's interstate nonsense?

If we win that one we should also be getting our Prelim here. 

And from there IF we get through we then talk about where the GF is played where you would of course prefer a BIG crowd.

We've thoroughly earned this choice.

Eddie/Jeffrey/Kochy would all be blowing a gasket at the mere mention if they finished on top.

Happy to stand corrected but appears to me we might have conceded already?

Its a waste of time having an argument u can't win. The decision if up to the AFL.