Finals 2021

Demonland

7 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Yes, but they don’t say roughly how much, but they do mention the 81% at 12 weeks which is the same as mentioned in my earlier quote… so I’m guessing the figure they’re not providing probably matches (or thereabouts), the figure in my quote. Either way, the protection is way better than the alternative.

You believe what you want to and make up your own mind as to how much, not much is.

I'm not playing silly games with you.

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

At which stadium?

Remarkably, the AFL and MCC are still in discussions to have 50% at the MCG, as much of a Hail Mary that proposition is.

Apparently that's why they want the 14 day gap between PF and GF to give the MCG every chance. They will be happy with 50 000 at the MCG but I'm with you and cannot see it happening. Perth would seem to be the favourite, Adelaide's chance harmed by the Olympic quarantine farce.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Witches Hat said:

Apparently that's why they want the 14 day gap between PF and GF to give the MCG every chance. They will be happy with 50 000 at the MCG but I'm with you and cannot see it happening. Perth would seem to be the favourite, Adelaide's chance harmed by the Olympic quarantine farce.

14 days also allows fans to get into WA and do the quarantine should dictator Mark allow us filthy Victorians such privileges. 

3 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Hey has anyone else started thinking through the scenario if we are in the prelim, it's the 25 minute mark and we are going to win. Goody soon has to start thinking about getting good players off for the big one so we can't have a risk of an injury or worse a concussion. What 4 players would you take off? 

I'm thinking Maxy, May, Lever then either Oliver or Trac. 

You've answered that question for me.

11 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Gerard Healy has been very strong on us since early 2020 if you listen to his evening show with Scoop McClure. Has seen the potential in us for a long while.

David King was the original believer in us back in 2018, but these days he jumps on and off us depending on what color jocks he's wearing on the day.

Sorry yes and Gerard Healy has believed also early doors.

Kingy not this year, very late to the party he's has been submerged by the flakey Bulldogs this year.

3 hours ago, Dante said:

You believe what you want to and make up your own mind as to how much, not much is.

I'm not playing silly games with you.

Settle petal… I wasn’t playing games at all. If anything, I was agreeing g with you about the need to vaccinate, as the protection it offers is always better than the alternative.

I think the bye will be the week after the Preliminary Finals.

Among other things, it would allow any concussed players to play. Imagine Oliver or Petracca getting a head knock in the Prelim and not being able to play in the GF!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, Jaded said:

14 days also allows fans to get into WA and do the quarantine should dictator Mark allow us filthy Victorians such privileges. 

That won't be happening. This is Emperor McGowan who wants covid-zero WA even after the 80% vaccine rate is achieved. 

The way I see it, there's only one genuine way of getting to the GF this year. That is on the hope we get out of lockdown on time, another state or territory opens its borders to Victoria immediately (as as NT and Tasmania did last time), you get there as quickly as possible and stay for 14 days, and then enter WA as you wouldn't have been in Victoria for the 14 days.

In reality, i'd be surprised if, firstly, Victoria was out of lockdown in time to make this work; and secondly, that other states/territories open up to Victoria as soon as lockdown finishes here given this has been a more extended outbreak. If the above worked out somehow, you'd also need to hope that there is no lockdown in the place that opens the borders (as WA will ban travel from there).

You can see i've put a bit of thought into this which mean, yes, I'll do it if I can!

Edited by Northern Summer
  • Like 1

Scenario 1 – Melbourne (1) v Port Adelaide (4)

Melbourne will host Port Adelaide in a home final if:

Melbourne defeats Geelong AND the Western Bulldogs defeat Port Adelaide.

Scenario 2 – Melbourne (1) v Brisbane (4)

Melbourne will host Brisbane in a home final if:

Melbourne defeats Geelong AND Port Adelaide defeats the Western Bulldogs AND Brisbane defeats West Coast and make up 1.8 percent on the Dogs (approximately a 30-point differential eg. If the Dogs lose by 10 points, the Lions will need to win by 20 points).

Scenario 3 – Melbourne (1) v Western Bulldogs (4)

Melbourne will host the Western Bulldogs in a home final if:

Melbourne defeats Geelong AND Port Adelaide defeats the Western Bulldogs AND Brisbane is defeated by West Coast, or Brisbane defeat West Coast but fail to make up 1.8 percent on the Dogs.

Scenario 4 – Melbourne (2) v Western Bulldogs (3)

Melbourne will host the Western Bulldogs in a home final if:

Geelong defeats Melbourne AND the Western Bulldogs defeat Port Adelaide.

Scenario 5 – Geelong (2) v Melbourne (3)

Geelong will host Melbourne in a home final if:

Geelong defeats Melbourne AND Port Adelaide defeats the Western Bulldogs and make up 1.3 percent on the Cats (approximately a 20-point differential eg. If the Cats win by 10 points, the Power will need to win by 30 points).

Scenario 6 – Port Adelaide (2) v Melbourne (3)

Port Adelaide will host Melbourne in a home final if:

Geelong defeats Melbourne AND Port Adelaide defeats the Western Bulldogs but fail to make up 1.3 percent on the Cats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

50 minutes ago, Jaded said:

We ain’t getting into WA. McGowan knows he is the AFL’s only chance and is playing hardball on the rules. Today he mentioned not even family of the players would be getting in if it is played there. 

He is posturing. No way he is passing on this opportunity to thrust his fame into the spotlight. 

10 hours ago, daisycutter said:

why does it have to be either......i'd rather neither

it even rhymes

My preference is neither as well but if you had to choose between these 2 very dislikeable teams which one would it be.

For me i'd rather West Coast don't make finals because 1) My prelim 18 experience has left me with a deep-seated animosity towards WCE fans and 2) i don't want them in a finals series which could be played in Perth. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaded said:

Victoria would have to be downgraded from medium risk to low risk to even have that opportunity to quarantine for 14 days in Perth prior to GF day.

At this stage Victorians need a special exemption to enter the state, and then they still must isolate for 14 days. Well that’s my understanding anyway.

I would be surprised if fans could get over for the GF in any form.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

Whaetley and Dunstall on 360 are adamant our week 1 final should not be at the MCG under any circumstances, should we finish top 2.

They’re saying that we must sacrifice our home ground advantage in the interests of a crowd.

Should we be willing to “host “ Brisbane at Metricon in order to get a whopping 6 or 7,000 to please the commentators?

• Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Whaetley and Dunstall on 360 are adamant our week 1 final should not be at the MCG under any circumstances, should we finish top 2.

They’re saying that we must sacrifice our home ground advantage in the interests of a crowd.

Should we be willing to “host “ Brisbane at Metricon in order to get a whopping 6 or 7,000 to please the commentators?

Would you call the MCG a home ground advantage against Geelong or Dogs? Certainly against Port

9 hours ago, Demonland said:

Scenario 5 – Geelong (2) v Melbourne (3)

Geelong will host Melbourne in a home final if:

Geelong defeats Melbourne AND Port Adelaide defeats the Western Bulldogs and make up 1.3 percent on the Cats (approximately a 20-point differential eg. If the Cats win by 10 points, the Power will need to win by 30 points).

There's speculation that crowds will be allowed under scenario 5.

I suspect there will be lot of MFC fans that will suddenly convert their Ocean Grove and Torquay properties from holiday homes to principal place of residence.

I can't see the WA government agreeing to any games in WA excepting the Grand Final, with only the two teams plus essential support staff and coaches allowed to enter the state under strict quarantine. This means the AFL would need to engineer a whole finals series outside of WA, trying to introduce crowds where they can.

I'd rather they just tack the grand final on to whatever they do weeks 1-3, and tell the WA government to get stuffed. I wouldn't be surprised if McGowan stipulates it has to be a night grand final as part of his conditions, just so it's on the TV at midnight in the eastern states.

There's no guarantee there won't be COVID in WA within a month anyway.

• Like 1

Looking like Geelong could have an armchair ride to the GF if we lose this weekend.

Likely finals...

Geelong v Melb (at Kardinia)

week off .....assuming Geelong win

Prelim:  Geelong v ?? (at Kardinia)

Week off the pre final bye

GF in Perth

The only one that is in any doubt would be the prelim venue but it's at least a 50/50 chance.

Of course if we win this weekend ........ who knows

Can't believe there are 6 scenarios with one round to go. I am not afraid of any scenario as I think we can beat anyone.

Worst case being away to Cats with a crowd. Followed by away to Port

For some reason I am sure the dogs will beat port so we'll be fine either way and can rest a couple if needed

Just thinking about the first final we played in 2018 on a Friday night and how good it was to heading into work on the train that morning scarf on , beers and burgers post work and then walking down to the capacity filled MCG . The roar from Hannans and chunks goals in the last quarter, echos of “ weid “reverberating across the ground every time he clunked a big mark. Outnumbering cats supporters 2:1 and the collective of the supporters willing the team on to victory , and the joy of walking out of the G with dees fans everywhere just so thrilled we were back in September action. Post match beers with my brother and sister and then home on the train with a big smile on my face watching highlights on my phone . Then watching the replay into the early hours of the morning at home whilst enjoying a nice single malt (and trying not to wake up the wife and kids with my celebrations!)

Don’t get me wrong I’m thrilled the team is in its best position in my lifetime to challenge for the ultimate over the next month , it’s just going to be a very different and quite surreal situation this time round. 

Go you mighty Demons !!!

• Like 6
  • Love 1