Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Finals team

DeeZee

After we’ve seen what we’ve seen so far this year , what would be your final team to tackle finals based on current performances etc?

Here is mine to start off and I’ve included Jones as I believe there is a spot for him which others haven’t really grabbed fully.

Bowey May Petty

Rivers lever Salem 
Brayshaw viney langdon
Harmes McDonald Jackson  
ANB Brown Pickett
Gawn Oliver Petracca

Spargo hunt Jones Melksham  
Sub- Hibberd 

Emergency- weideman, Jordan , sparrow Vandenberg  

50 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

After we’ve seen what we’ve seen so far this year , what would be your final team to tackle finals based on current performances etc?

Here is mine to start off and I’ve included Jones as I believe there is a spot for him which others haven’t really grabbed fully.

Bowey May Petty

Rivers lever Salem 
Brayshaw viney langdon
Harmes McDonald Jackson  
ANB Brown Pickett
Gawn Oliver Petracca

Spargo hunt Jones Melksham  
Sub- Hibberd 

Emergency- weideman, Jordan , sparrow Vandenberg  

I am hoping you Inadvertently forgot Fritta our 40 plus leading goal kicker.

If not then perhaps desist in naming BEST 23 fir finals. 
PS we omitted Fritta in 2018 fir the prelim and all know what happened  then!!! 

11 minutes ago, 58er said:

I am hoping you Inadvertently forgot Fritta our 40 plus leading goal kicker.

If not then perhaps desist in naming BEST 23 fir finals. 
PS we omitted Fritta in 2018 fir the prelim and all know what happened  then!!! 

I’d then replace Jones with Fritsch and use him as the sub instead of Hibberd 

1 minute ago, BDA said:

Jordon stiff

Who would you take out for him?

His form has been ordinary the last month

8 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Who would you take out for him?

His form has been ordinary the last month

Jones probably but i wouldn't mind seeing him get a run against the Crows to see what kind of shape he's in

• Like 1

B: Bowey, May, Petty
HB: Hibberd, Lever, Rivers
C: Langdon, Oliver, Brayshaw
HF: Fritsch, McDonald, Jackson
FF: Pickett, Brown, Spargo
R: Gawn, Petracca, Harmes
I/C: Viney, Melksham, Jordon, Neal-Bullen

Hunt only isn't in as we have no idea as to what's up with his ankle. Any other time, he is a starter. I've put Hibberd in in the meantime, but that is tentative at best. Bowey stays on because of his work so far.

Viney isn't straight in the guts right away for two reasons. Firstly, I get the feeling he is better in a floating role between the midfield and forward line. His pressure and tackling is brilliant, but I still have questions on some of his disposal and decision making. Meaning he is perfect for locking the ball in our fifty.

Secondly, I think our mid field is a bit clogged with so many inside mids. Choppers played to the level I would consider optimum for him last night, and I felt that he thrived with one less bee around the honeypot to speak. Viney doesn't have to reearn his spot in the team, but he does have to re earn his role back if that makes sense.

Melksham for mine is a must. Some might view him as borderline, but 'having a crack' exclusively won't cut it in September. We need smart ball users and finishing skills, and he has them in spades.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
How did I put Jones in over Jackson?!! Not enough coffee!

7 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

B: Bowey, May, Petty
HB: Hibberd, Lever, Rivers
HF: Fritsch, McDonald, Neal-Bullen
I/C: Viney, Melksham, Jordon, Jones

Hunt only isn't in as we have no idea as to what's up with his ankle. Any other time, he is a starter.

Viney isn't straight in the guts right away for two reasons. Firstly, I get the feeling he is better in a floating role between the midfield and forward line. His pressure and tackling is brilliant, but I still have questions on some of his disposal and decision making. Meaning he is perfect for locking the ball in our fifty.

Secondly, I think our mid field is a bit clogged with so many inside mids. Choppers played to the level I would consider optimum for him last night, and I felt that he thrived with one less bee around the honeypot to speak. Viney doesn't have to reearn his spot in the team, but he does have to re earn his role back if that makes sense.

I put Jones in admittedly for probably sentimental reasons, but I think some experience will be needed in the pointy end. Jones has definitely lost a yard, but moving him on and off the bench to give either Nibbler or Sparg a chop out in the forward line could be doable.

Melksham for mine is a must. Some might view him as borderline, but 'having a crack' exclusively won't cut it in September. We need smart ball users and finishing skills, and he has them in spades.

No Salem?

2 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

No Salem?

It just goes to show how bloody tough spots are to get!!! You can inadvertently leave people out without barely knowing it.

Revision:

B:Hibberd, May, Petty
HB: Salem, Lever, Rivers
HF: Fritsch, McDonald, Jackson
I/C: Viney, Melksham, Bowey, Neal-Bullen

Salem is a definite starter for sure. Bowey gets over Jordon in that case just because of his last two games.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Viney and Jones are sentimental fan favourite picks, the reality is that on form and potential upside to the club players like Jordon, Harmes, Sparrow, Bowey have gone past them. 

Viney hurts this team in a big way in the way he disposes the ball, makes poor decisions, and also drifts in and out of our defensive shape.  

There will be some shuffling in the last couple of rounds. Of course like all of us I'm hoping that Jones finds the marathon runner's second wind, comes back from the calf next week and then plays his best football through the finals to a premiership.

But, setting aside that triumphant return, here's how it looks to me;

B:             Petty        May     Bowey

HB:           Salem      Lever       Rivers

C:            Langdon    Petracca     Brayshaw

HF:          Spargo     McDonald   Neal-Bullen

F:            Fritsch     Brown    Pickett

FOLL:      Gawn,  Oliver,  Harmes

INT:   Jordon, Jackson, Viney, Hibberd (or Hunt if available)

EMRG:  Sparrow, Weideman, Jones, and then Hibberd or a 'Wildcard'

Bowey has just been amazing. Calm and composed and I think he made just one actual mistake the whole game. You'd also have Jordon and particularly Jackson on the field as much as anyone in that positional 22.  But then it gets trickier. 

Likely a half-back type to allow for some young guys that could have off days and benefit from freedom to go up the ground and take less immediate pressure.  I would assume Hibberd if Hunt isn't available.

Melksham is a no for me. It may have been the right choice on the night given the conditions in Perth but I feel like his successes were more a product of the role than the player. A bit like the baseball assessment of 'wins over replacement'; take Melksham out and there's plenty to replace him who are as good as or maybe even better. My gut feeling is that Melksham's presence actually pushed all of Spargo, Pickett and Fritsch into slightly less comfortable roles for them - all three had very bad nights against West Coast.

With Brown's returning to form it's pretty clear Weideman will be an emergency every game for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Harmes gave us run and drive from the centre in a way that Viney never has. His running goal from a Melksham handball started by a Jackson tap upfield in the third quarter was typical.

Must be retained in this role and another role found for Viney, which might be difficult.

FB.  Bowey May Petty

HB. Rivers Lever Salem

C.    Langdon Oliver Brayshaw

HF.  Spargo T-Mac ANB

F.     Fritsch B. Brown Pickett

R. Gawn Petracca Harmes

I/C Viney Jackson Jordon Hibberd

Sub. Sparrow

Emerg. Melksham Weideman Jones Chandler

The next group. AvB Lockhart Smith Jetta Baker Bedford

Injured Hunt?

Thought about putting Sparrow into the starting 22 but feel it makes us a bit young with Bowey, Rivers, Jackson, Jordon and Pickett all young and relatively inexperienced. That's nearly a quarter of the squad already. 

Hibberd is clearly on his final legs but have him as a better contributor to Sparrow at this point and gives us another option off the half back, particularly with Hunt injured (?severity).

Barring injury to a key forward, it's too late for another Weideman experiment and he will have to sit on the sidelines.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jones in a sub role as well, would be a great sight to have him out on the ground during the finals. Not sure he can run out a full game though.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone.

Absolute locks unless injured are below

FB.   May Petty  Hunt

HB. Rivers Lever Salem

HF.  Spargo T-Mac ANB

R. Gawn Petracca Harmes

I/C Jackson

If Hunt is badly injured I would say his replacement will be Hibbo purely for experience and the fact that he can do a shut down role on a dangerous resting mid. I would not want Bowey taking on that pressure in finals. 

Then the interchange for me will be a horses for courses from: JJ (Believe he should be in anyway), Viney, Melksham, Bowey, Sparrow and Jones if we want experience. 

I think we will alternate the medi sub depending on who is carrying what injury, the weather and also if VFL can continue, to get good miles into legs in preparation for more finals. 

I think Melksham has a role to play, as does Viney come finals (and have no doubt he will walk straight into the side), but I think JJ is really versatile and for that reason I want him in the starting 22 as he can play wing, inside mid, half back or half forward should the need arise.

In hotly contested finals footy, the ball use of Melksham could be a real asset, but his poor defensive work rate could be an absolute disaster too. It's a tough call. I wouldn't be against him playing a negating role on Caleb Daniels should we meet them in the finals. But unless he has a specific role, carrying him and Fritta is going put a lot of pressure on ANB and Spargo to defend up forward. 

Sparrow, Jones, Vanders and Weideman will be on standby for injuries or suspensions, but I don't think any of them will make the cut except for as medi subs. 

I would be happy to have Jones as a medi sub should we make the grand final if he is in good form and fully fit, but we can have that conversation when and if we even get there. 

32 minutes ago, Jaded said:

FB.   May Petty  Hunt

HB. Rivers Lever Salem

HF.  Spargo T-Mac ANB

R. Gawn Petracca Harmes

I/C Jackson

If Hunt is badly injured I would say his replacement will be Hibbo purely for experience and the fact that he can do a shut down role on a dangerous resting mid. I would not want Bowey taking on that pressure in finals. 

Then the interchange for me will be a horses for courses from: JJ (Believe he should be in anyway), Viney, Melksham, Bowey, Sparrow and Jones if we want experience. 

I think we will alternate the medi sub depending on who is carrying what injury, the weather and also if VFL can continue, to get good miles into legs in preparation for more finals. 

I think Melksham has a role to play, as does Viney come finals (and have no doubt he will walk straight into the side), but I think JJ is really versatile and for that reason I want him in the starting 22 as he can play wing, inside mid, half back or half forward should the need arise.

In hotly contested finals footy, the ball use of Melksham could be a real asset, but his poor defensive work rate could be an absolute disaster too. It's a tough call. I wouldn't be against him playing a negating role on Caleb Daniels should we meet them in the finals. But unless he has a specific role, carrying him and Fritta is going put a lot of pressure on ANB and Spargo to defend up forward. 

Sparrow, Jones, Vanders and Weideman will be on standby for injuries or suspensions, but I don't think any of them will make the cut except for as medi subs. 

I would be happy to have Jones as a medi sub should we make the grand final if he is in good form and fully fit, but we can have that conversation when and if we even get there. 

Nailed it👍

39 minutes ago, Jaded said:

FB.   May Petty  Hunt

HB. Rivers Lever Salem

HF.  Spargo T-Mac ANB

R. Gawn Petracca Harmes

I/C Jackson

Agree. I would add to the interchange Viney, Jordan, Hibberd. I have picked Hibberd over Bowey because of experience that may be needed in finals.

While I’m excited about Bowey like everyone else, I still think Hibberd has a role to play if we need an experienced shutdown defender. He’s had a solid season overall and I just don’t think Bowey has sufficient experience to come in for finals off two games, one of which was a walk in the park.