Mac Andrew

15 hours ago, DubDee said:

Andrew gets a 2 week suspension for drink driving 

De Geoy beats the hell out of a innocent guy, forcibly touches a woman and ends up a NY jail, and gets....  Zero weeks

Makes sense!?

*2 weeks for Andrew seems reasonable to me btw

But dragging this case out 3 months is not good by the Suns. It needs quick  and instant penalties that don't provide Club and player stretching out the result over too long a period. Practice matches are included and I am not sure of his training expectations from New Year to Round 1. 

At the Southport Magistrates Court today, Mac Andrew was fined $1,000.00 and disqualified for six months, having already been off the roads for three weeks.

That’s on top of the sanctions applied by the Gold Coast Suns.

An expensive, but necessary, lesson. Hope he learns from it.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 5:00 PM, demon3165 said:

He made a mistake big deal, hope he learns from it, to much [censored] comments from people who have made mistakes and never paid a price for them, we seem to hold young men who have not really lived or learned from life to a higher standard, did the herald sun punish Mark Robinson for comments he made about Fasolo no, they even tried to make the Rex Hunt story in a softer light.

These young men come straight out of school and are thrown into the limelight at a great speed of knots, now I understand that they are in a high profile sport and with it comes responsibility, some can handle the limelight and some struggle with it and take time but compare that with George Pell who people are defending, which one is worse?

Pell’s conviction was quashed by the Court of appeal 7 zero, so I’m not sure what you are on about there.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

• Whispering_Jack changed the title to Mac Andrew caught drink driving

5 hours ago, Crompton's the man said:

Thanks for that

The article says he’s signed a 2-year contract extension recently and is with the Suns to the end of 2025 atm

At this point in time there seems to be no reason why the club would be chasing him. We have Gawn, Grundy and Schache as well as Verrall and Farris-White in development. 

• 4 months later...

Dropped from the side for missing a recovery session:-

"Mac missed a recovery session on Sunday morning after the game against the Western Bulldogs, and while this, in isolation, is not a major issue, we believe Mac needs to understand the demands of playing AFL football," Suns general manager of football performance Wayne Campbell said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/940989/teams-dees-pair-out-blues-add-five-sun-banned

Pity because he’s just starting to play well as a defender for the Suns. As Campbell says, it’s not a major issue taken in isolation but one senses that he  needs a helping hand up there.

• Like 3

Did we dodge a bullet or should we bring him home?. 

He was very grateful for his time in our Academy which we continued even after the AFL changed the rules stopping us from drafting him.  Reckon he would still feel some of that TLC and support and we are a much more stable and better club than GCS.

He is OOC in 2024.  GCS have a history of getting poor value for trades.  JT stays close to prior draft targets and and I reckon we should bring him home! 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

51 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He was very grateful for his time in our Academy which we continued even after the AFL changed the rules stopping us from drafting him.  Reckon he would still feel some of that TLC and support and we are a much more stable and better club than GCS.

He is OOC in 2024.  GCS have a history of getting poor value for trades  JT stays close to prior draft targets and and I reckon we should bring him home! 

Given his frame is unlikely to change all that much more, i dont think he'll be cut out for any inside / midfield role. 

He seems to have similar traits to Lever, Aliir type and other tall / lanky intercepting defenders. You tend to see this type of player really shine early on in their career - just not seeing it for Mac A yet. 

Unless Gold Coast offered us a Bowes type deal, i wouldnt bite just yet. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He is OOC in 2024.  GCS have a history of getting poor value for trades  JT stays close to prior draft targets and and I reckon we should bring him home! 

If he remains unsigned then go for it I say. Could always rookie him?

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Given his frame is unlikely to change all that much more, i dont think he'll be cut out for any inside / midfield role. 

He seems to have similar traits to Lever, Aliir type and other tall / lanky intercepting defenders. You tend to see this type of player really shine early on in their career - just not seeing it for Mac A yet. 

Unless Gold Coast offered us a Bowes type deal, i would bite just yet. 

iirc he was touted as a fwd/ruck back up.  Always expected to need time to fill out and develop. 

Others fwds with his build iare King x 2, Daniher, Hipwood etc.

GCS won't do a Bowes type deal but they may trade him for a second round pick! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

If he remains unsigned then go for it I say. Could always rookie him. 

No chance of a rookie!  After all he was pick 5 two years ago.  His trade value would slide but not that far!

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

No chance of a rookie!  After all he was pick 3 two years ago.  His trade value would slide but not that far!

Yes of course! For some reason I had delisting in my head.

I also edited my post with a ? in front of rookie too late!

• Like 2

Danger.. Danger Will Robinson....

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Danger.. Danger Will Robinson....

I agree bb. Just another player who cannot handle the job of AFL football at the top level. It is a tough gig. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

the skinniness and lack of physicality will be built up, you'd think, but his skills are woeful

The skinniness is genetic. No amount of bulking up attempts will change his body, particularly his limbs. 

• Like 2

Maybe a thread title is required, thought he had done it again.

Mac clearly a long term project, don't think they'll pull the plug any time soon.

Maybe Mac will want to play with Riak in a few years though.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, roy11 said:

Maybe a thread title is required, thought he had done it again.

Mac clearly a long term project, don't think they'll pull the plug any time soon.

Maybe Mac will want to play with Riak in a few years though.

where is riak positioned in this year's draft?

if he gets nominated inside 40 we won't even have the 'rights' to him anymore, will we?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

where is riak positioned in this year's draft?

if he gets nominated inside 40 we won't even have the 'rights' to him anymore, will we?

Little hard to predict, Injured all of 2022. Fit now and has debuted for the Stingrays having played the last 2 games and been listed both times in "Best Players". So promising with scope for improvement. 

Imagine given as he's still raw and hasn't played much footy in recent times he should hopefully slide beyond 40.  We'll just have to see how the 2nd half of his season goes. 

• Like 1

I think we should be trying to deal with the Suns anyway, and potentially Mac could come into play (otherwise I was thinking Sam Flanders could be an option).

I'd offer up (as it currently stands) the Dees picks 15, 29 & 34 (a total of 2,307 points) for GC picks 7 and 56 (a total of 1,838 points) and Mac. They've got 3 higher end academy kids coming through so will have to open up draft spots, while they will be losing all draft picks they have. So we'd move up the order, then going to the draft with picks 7 & 10, while also getting Mac and having the points for K.Brown. I'd see Riak as a Cat B rookie as I doubt at the moment he gets taken in the normal draft. Mac might love coming back to play with Riak.

• Like 2

Confounds me why anyone ( here ) would be interested. 

Let him ( sadly ) be some other club's trainwreck.

Not all cut out for the big time.

Lets find those that are. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I think we should be trying to deal with the Suns anyway, and potentially Mac could come into play (otherwise I was thinking Sam Flanders could be an option).

I'd offer up (as it currently stands) the Dees picks 15, 29 & 34 (a total of 2,307 points) for GC picks 7 and 56 (a total of 1,838 points) and Mac. They've got 3 higher end academy kids coming through so will have to open up draft spots, while they will be losing all draft picks they have. So we'd move up the order, then going to the draft with picks 7 & 10, while also getting Mac and having the points for K.Brown. I'd see Riak as a Cat B rookie as I doubt at the moment he gets taken in the normal draft. Mac might love coming back to play with Riak.

fiorini is meant to be the one that they're looking to salary dump in 2023

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

fiorini is meant to be the one that they're looking to salary dump in 2023

Yeah, of their contracted players he's the one talked about, but I don't think he'd be wise coming to us, it'd be Dunstan 2. However, if they've got 3 rated academy kids coming through they might want to offload some more. Flanders is out of contract at the end of the year, while we've obviously got the Mac Andrew connection. 

And for all those potting Mac Andrew for getting caught drink driving and late for training, clearly forget Clarry having similar issues! Mac's looked good in patches for a young skinny key defender and certainly has a lot of talent, if the AFL didn't change the bidding rules there's no doubt at all he'd be on our list.  

• Like 4