Bayley Fritsch cleared of striking

McQueen

Just now, demonstone said:

I come from a long line of stage magicians and all the family members had a role to play in the performance. 

I have a half-sister.  

Mr d are you Ethan's alter ego?  He seems to have disappeared from DL this year...

• Shocked 2

2 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I come from a long line of stage magicians and all the family members had a role to play in the performance. 

I have a half-sister.  

Something went wrong in the saw the lady in half trick?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

In other words it is the 'Demons' rule: 'if we can make an example of them we will!

Come on Luci, you're smart and better than this self-pitying, conspiracy theory/victim mentality rubbish.

The AFL haven't got it in for us.  Neither do the umpires, the tribunal or any other arm of the league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, demonstone said:

No relation.  He's a policeman in Perth and I'm a criminal in Victoria.

You have a similar sense of humour which I really enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, demonstone said:

Come on Luci, you're smart and better than this self-pitying, conspiracy theory/victim mentality rubbish.

The AFL haven't got it in for us.  Neither do the umpires, the tribunal or any other arm of the league.

I too doubt anyone has it in for us, but it may feel that way when others get favourite treatment.   Result is not dissimilar.

• Like 1

Just now, sue said:

I too doubt anyone has it in for us, but it may feel that way when others get favourite treatment.   Result is not dissimilar.

I think Mr d was being flippant.

1 hour ago, In Harmes Way said:

In the AFL's official Tribunal handbook for 2021 they have a series of examples of every offence and grading:

https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/document/2021/03/22/221593f5-9b5b-46c7-b038-b032283fcd41/2021-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf

The best two examples under Striking on page 14 that can be referenced in Fritta’s defence:

Example 5: Josh Caddy on David McKay R2, 2018 (Careless, medium impact, high contact)

Mackay was assessed for concussion and failed that test, so therefore worse than Powell who wasn’t even assessed for concussion.

Example 11: Swallow on Westoff R1, 2020 (Intentional, Low impact, High contact)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/389979/suns-skipper-cops-ban-four-players-hit-with-fines

Intentional action and only graded Low Impact. Similar incident (in reverse) but worse than Fritta’s. Swallow didn’t have ball, went past ball and collected Westhoff with similar action to Fritta (albeit Fritta has added difference of player coming at him low). Could be referenced as Westhoff played out the game unhindered. Season was then suspended, so can’t look at whether he got up for R2.

Given the action is deemed careless rather than intentional, I think it would be in line with past rulings that the potential for further injury is not assessed and should be deemed Low Impact per the two applicable examples here.

This is excellent analysis.
I don’t buy the Dangerfield relevance. His is a single action, whereas Fritta had two distinct motions.

However, your examples are much better evidence. The low impact argument appears strong.

I thought he had no chance before. I’m on board.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I think Mr d was being flippant.

Never been more serious.  I hate it when posters whine that we're being picked on and treated worse than any other club, all of whom are apparently the AFL's "lovechild".

I imagine that all clubs have supporters who feel the same way, but I find it pathetic.  My two cents.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

keep it down mate, that's the precedent we want to use to get Fritsch off!

?

I reckon it is worse than Fritsch's one as he is standing tall and highly likely to collect the head of his opponent. Fritsch's knees are bent at 90 degrees meaning his elbow when extended would only hit someone in the torso normally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, demonstone said:

Never been more serious.  I hate it when posters whine that we're being picked on and treated worse than any other club, all of whom are apparently the AFL's "lovechild".

I imagine that all clubs have supporters who feel the same way, but I find it pathetic.  My two cents.

I don't doubt that some supporters of all clubs will whinge unreasonably at times, but to me it is as clear as day that the dollar driven AFL plays favourites where they think it is good business to do so.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, demonstone said:

My first post was being flippant :cool:

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I have a half-sister.  

any chance you could conjure up a few spells for fritta?

maybe toss in a few sacrifices to appease the footy gods?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, —coach— said:

I would then add to that this photo which occurs a split second prior to the hit which shows Bailey super low to the ground face in obvious flinching motion with a player flying directly at him that it’s clear he was protecting himself. In any ordinary day that hits the guy in the mid torso not the head.

Note: the north players elbow doing the same thing as Bailey just not quite as high

622E238E-EB42-4887-BB33-9E966A309E0C.jpeg

The split second vision before this shows Bailey's arm connecting with the North player's arm, then being deflected upwards: also note how low both players are and I would argue that Fritsch had no intention of warding off the North players via the throat or head...

50 minutes ago, demonstone said:

I have a half-sister.  

"Now watch me pull an elbow out of a face..."

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, demonstone said:

No relation.  He's a policeman in Perth and I'm a criminal in Victoria.

Same same

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Glad they’ve appealed and I think we have a decent chance of getting it down to a fine. I will say that I actually think if we’re trying to minimise head high contact and concussions he probably should be suspended for a week. But I also want the rules applied equally between us and the rest of the competition (something I genuinely don’t think has been done in the past with Moloney, May, Nibbler, and others). 

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Anyone live tweeting the hearing..?

Found a link on foxsports.com.au. Sorry can’t post a link for some reason. David Zita is tweeting.

• Like 1