Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Bayley Fritsch cleared of striking


McQueen
 Share


Recommended Posts

This was never a week, go with a fine if you must for careless, low impact. But really all the Wheatley Robbo comparisons to Dangerfields bump are ridiculous.

Yes they both impacted an opponent high but:

Dangerfield CHOSE to bump after the ball was gone, hit the player high and knocked him out.

Fritsch fended an oncoming tackle and had his arm pushed high by the tackling player, hit him high, no concussion, no injury. 
Players are allowed to fend, if he had deliberately elbowed him that would be different but it is clear as day he tries to fend with his forearm and the low body of Powell moving down pushes his arm high. It’s an accident that occurred in 0.2 seconds. Not an intentional bump.

Also we all hate it but the impact on the other player is important in how they measure these things. Powell was not concussed, had no other injury and came back on the field. If he had been concussed or had his face broken the result might be different, but he didn’t. 

Im also still mystified as to how this gets cited but Hawkins doesn’t, Hawkins carelessly throws his elbow back after a handball and breaks someone’s eye socket and concusses them. Bailey has his elbow pushed into his opponents head and dazed his for a bit.
Why is Bailey’s initially Careless and Medium impact but Hawkins not? Surely Hawkins is Careless and High impact. If ones an accident they’re both an accident, but for Bailey to get cited and Hawkins not just shows the problems with this system.

Good on the MFC for appealing, got the result we deserved.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, deejammin' said:

This was never a week, go with a fine if you must for careless, low impact. But really all the Wheatley Robbo comparisons to Dangerfields bump are ridiculous.

Yes they both impacted an opponent high but:

Dangerfield CHOSE to bump after the ball was gone, hit the player high and knocked him out.

Fritsch fended an oncoming tackle and had his arm pushed high by the tackling player, hit him high, no concussion, no injury. 
Players are allowed to fend, if he had deliberately elbowed him that would be different but it is clear as day he tries to fend with his forearm and the low body of Powell moving down pushes his arm high. It’s an accident that occurred in 0.2 seconds. Not an intentional bump.

Also we all hate it but the impact on the other player is important in how they measure these things. Powell was not concussed, had no other injury and came back on the field. If he had been concussed or had his face broken the result might be different, but he didn’t. 

Im also still mystified as to how this gets cited but Hawkins doesn’t, Hawkins carelessly throws his elbow back after a handball and breaks someone’s eye socket and concusses them. Bailey has his elbow pushed into his opponents head and dazed his for a bit.
Why is Bailey’s initially Careless and Medium impact but Hawkins not? Surely Hawkins is Careless and High impact. If ones an accident they’re both an accident, but for Bailey to get cited and Hawkins not just shows the problems with this system.

Good on the MFC for appealing, got the result we deserved.

Me, too, dj. Keep the anger coming on Hawkins; it won't change anything but maybe the internet ether will rattle his guilt neurons. I don't think I imagined the direction of, and look in, his eyes at the instant of impact.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


With respect to an AFL appeal of the decision, according to the rules, the AFL can only appeal per below:

AN APPEAL OF A DECISION OF THE TRIBUNAL A Player or the AFL General Counsel may appeal the decision of the Tribunal to the Appeal Board on one or more of the following grounds:

» An error of law has occurred;

» The decision of the Tribunal is so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have come to that decision having regard to the evidence before it;

» The classification of the offence by the Tribunal was manifestly excessive or inadequate; or

» The sanction imposed by the Tribunal was manifestly excessive or inadequate.

Given the hearing was around whether the act was careless (as opposed to the impact), then any errors of law would have been addressed in the original hearing. And given the classification/sanctions were not manifestly inadequate (the grading was only careless to begin with), then the only grounds the AFL could appeal under is that no other Tribunal would come to the same conclusion. And given the Tribunal explained the grounds for their decision, it's reasonable to foresee another Tribunal reaching the same conclusion.

Nothing to see here. Move on.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

an interesting observation of the tribunal defence was that the mfc did not challenge the original medium-impact classification.

i can only assume the defence decided it was best to just focus on one issue rather than get tied up on 2 issues. Also if it was reclassified as accidental rather than careless then impact doesn't come into it.

what is interesting re impact is that it appears the forearm/elbow high contact appears to have caused no injury and likely not any discomfort. According to the NM medical report there was no head injuries or concussion. It appears his onfield distress and having to leave the field assisted, was caused by contact to his kidney area in the collision and not caused by forearm/elbow.  He apparently passed some blood in his urine and was set later for precautionary kidney scans and doctor said was expected to be able to play next week. If all this is true then impact of forearm/elbow had to be in the low band and not medium.

from the hun report today:

The Dees accepted that Fritsch’s elbow to North Melbourne’s Tom Powell was high contact and medium impact."

"There was microscopic blood detected in Powell’s urine sample after the match and he underwent a kidney scan on Monday, according to Kangaroos doctor Bianca Scotney’s medical report."

"But Powell was cleared of concussion and suffered no ongoing headaches or jaw pain, with the kidney problem highlighting that more damage was done from Fritsch’s contact to the teenager’s midriff, rather than the elbow to his head."

"Dr Scotney said kidney trauma was “unlikely” and Powell was a strong chance to play against Collingwood in Round 8."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

 

Actually, I have a great deal of respect for Michael Christian, even though I may disagree with some of his decisions. He has taken on a thankless job knowing that every decision he makes will be scrutinised endlessly by the media and the general public. In addition, he knows every decision can be appealed and many will be overturned. It takes someone with grit and a true love for the game to take on this role. 

Or a thick hide. Criticism generally hurts. Would make a good politician. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, S_T said:

There is still room in footy for pure accidents and this was one of those.  

There was no time for a straight arm fend, so he went with a forearm fend, but the north player was stumbling so the forearm bounced off his shoulder into his chin.  No time at all for Fritta to adjust, meaning he hadn't breached his duty of care.

This was as straightforward decision as they come I reckon despite how bad it look in slow-mo.

I wondered if there was fractional hesitation, because of a desire, sub conscious or otherwise, to protect his recently broken hand, that caused the delay in the arm going out? Was very happy with the tribunal result btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DubDee said:

In fairness to Gerard and Robbo (stick with me here) - their point was the AFL is going so hard on hits to the head and concussion protocols and then a hit to the head like this goes unpunished. An extension of their contention would be that Danger should also have been suspended in the GF.  As first glance in real time, the Fritsch one looks like a week. It is only when you consider it and go through everything that has been discussed in this thread already that is becomes clear it is only a fine

No way there will be an appeal from the AFL

Not even if Sydney ask them to???

Link to comment
Share on other sites


After all this discussion about Fritsch, I've now looked for why Brayshaw was got for a trip. Just watched the whole match and I couldn't see where it happened.  Can someone please point out when it happened.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This goes to show you the the MRO makes his decision so much on optics and media chatter rather than actually examining evidence. The reason I say that is that the Hawkins elbow that hit May was immediately called by the commentary as an accident and they were all leaping to his defence. Now I’m not saying he should’ve been suspended but there should have been an official citing and review given the injuries May sustained. 

Compare that to Fritta where they were already hanging him out and making the point the player looked groggy. But a little bit of research from the MRO would’ve concluded that he was helped off because of his kidney impact and not the forearm. 

As for Whateley and Robbo, they’re stuck on the optics rather than examining the facts. I’d expect that from Robbo, but Whateley I’ve thought he was more switched on. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, sue said:

After all this discussion about Fritsch, I've now looked for why Brayshaw was got for a trip. Just watched the whole match and I couldn't see where it happened.  Can someone please point out when it happened.      

Well it was half time and he was walking off the ground, and some Nth bloke went past and fell across his foot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pates said:

This goes to show you the the MRO makes his decision so much on optics and media chatter rather than actually examining evidence. The reason I say that is that the Hawkins elbow that hit May was immediately called by the commentary as an accident and they were all leaping to his defence. Now I’m not saying he should’ve been suspended but there should have been an official citing and review given the injuries May sustained. 

Compare that to Fritta where they were already hanging him out and making the point the player looked groggy. But a little bit of research from the MRO would’ve concluded that he was helped off because of his kidney impact and not the forearm. 

As for Whateley and Robbo, they’re stuck on the optics rather than examining the facts. I’d expect that from Robbo, but Whateley I’ve thought he was more switched on. 

Instead of giving these silly "experts" the benefit of the doubt It demonstrates what is obsessing the Media at the moment. And that is what every one of those people have had drummed into them for years and years, and that is, we don't give the Demons a sniff of success. they will grab it by the scruff of the neck and no one will get a look in for twenty years until we get another Premier like Bolte to lure away all the good players supposedly "for the sake of the Game"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, demonstone said:

You need to stop licking those cane toads, willmoy.

Compared to what the Media lick, your right...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice the pr*ck that cracked Fritta in the head during the 1st quarter wasn’t even mentioned, and every opposition player appears to be able to smack Gawn in the face/head once per game without more than a chortle from the (lack of) brainstrust commentary teams...

if Fritta had fended off Dangerfield, 6 weeks

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, sue said:

After all this discussion about Fritsch, I've now looked for why Brayshaw was got for a trip. Just watched the whole match and I couldn't see where it happened.  Can someone please point out when it happened.      

Q2 - about 10:50 remaining on the countdown. On the northern (attacking) edge of the square for us. Clear trip by Gus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, RigidMiddleDigit said:

Michael Christian: goose.

Certainly seems too interested in the cases the media highlights and ignores those that the media ignore NB the high, off play hit ON Frittata. 
 

Maybe he just lacks the time, and  likely the brain, to do the work himself. 

6 hours ago, deejammin' said:

This was never a week, go with a fine if you must for careless, low impact. But really all the Wheatley Robbo comparisons to Dangerfields bump are ridiculous.

Yes they both impacted an opponent high but:

Dangerfield CHOSE to bump after the ball was gone, hit the player high and knocked him out.

Fritsch fended an oncoming tackle and had his arm pushed high by the tackling player, hit him high, no concussion, no injury. 
Players are allowed to fend, if he had deliberately elbowed him that would be different but it is clear as day he tries to fend with his forearm and the low body of Powell moving down pushes his arm high. It’s an accident that occurred in 0.2 seconds. Not an intentional bump.

Also we all hate it but the impact on the other player is important in how they measure these things. Powell was not concussed, had no other injury and came back on the field. If he had been concussed or had his face broken the result might be different, but he didn’t. 

Im also still mystified as to how this gets cited but Hawkins doesn’t, Hawkins carelessly throws his elbow back after a handball and breaks someone’s eye socket and concusses them. Bailey has his elbow pushed into his opponents head and dazed his for a bit.
Why is Bailey’s initially Careless and Medium impact but Hawkins not? Surely Hawkins is Careless and High impact. If ones an accident they’re both an accident, but for Bailey to get cited and Hawkins not just shows the problems with this system.

Good on the MFC for appealing, got the result we deserved.

The media prattled on as soon as Hawkins recklessly, or carelessly, smashed May’s face, that it was accidental, so Christian had an easy out. 

5 hours ago, daisycutter said:

an interesting observation of the tribunal defence was that the mfc did not challenge the original medium-impact classification.

i can only assume the defence decided it was best to just focus on one issue rather than get tied up on 2 issues. Also if it was reclassified as accidental rather than careless then impact doesn't come into it.

what is interesting re impact is that it appears the forearm/elbow high contact appears to have caused no injury and likely not any discomfort. According to the NM medical report there was no head injuries or concussion. It appears his onfield distress and having to leave the field assisted, was caused by contact to his kidney area in the collision and not caused by forearm/elbow.  He apparently passed some blood in his urine and was set later for precautionary kidney scans and doctor said was expected to be able to play next week. If all this is true then impact of forearm/elbow had to be in the low band and not medium.

from the hun report today:

The Dees accepted that Fritsch’s elbow to North Melbourne’s Tom Powell was high contact and medium impact."

"There was microscopic blood detected in Powell’s urine sample after the match and he underwent a kidney scan on Monday, according to Kangaroos doctor Bianca Scotney’s medical report."

"But Powell was cleared of concussion and suffered no ongoing headaches or jaw pain, with the kidney problem highlighting that more damage was done from Fritsch’s contact to the teenager’s midriff, rather than the elbow to his head."

"Dr Scotney said kidney trauma was “unlikely” and Powell was a strong chance to play against Collingwood in Round 8."

Thank the Lord that it wasn’t Carlton’s medical report .... they would have been detailing the autopsy findings and the funeral if their past incriminating reports are anything to go by. 

4 hours ago, Pates said:

This goes to show you the the MRO makes his decision so much on optics and media chatter rather than actually examining evidence. The reason I say that is that the Hawkins elbow that hit May was immediately called by the commentary as an accident and they were all leaping to his defence. Now I’m not saying he should’ve been suspended but there should have been an official citing and review given the injuries May sustained. 

Compare that to Fritta where they were already hanging him out and making the point the player looked groggy. But a little bit of research from the MRO would’ve concluded that he was helped off because of his kidney impact and not the forearm. 

As for Whateley and Robbo, they’re stuck on the optics rather than examining the facts. I’d expect that from Robbo, but Whateley I’ve thought he was more switched on. 

Christian’s weakness and laziness are just accentuated by these cases. 

2 hours ago, Kiss of Death said:

I notice the pr*ck that cracked Fritta in the head during the 1st quarter wasn’t even mentioned, and every opposition player appears to be able to smack Gawn in the face/head once per game without more than a chortle from the (lack of) brainstrust commentary teams...

if Fritta had fended off Dangerfield, 6 weeks

Christian needs to be replaced by someone who watches the whole of every game without hearing the commentary. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, KingSlayer33 said:

Q2 - about 10:50 remaining on the countdown. On the northern (attacking) edge of the square for us. Clear trip by Gus.

Thanks. Yes he certainly tripped him, but since when do you get fined for an accidental trip like that?  If you do an intentional trip then you should be rubbed out, not just fined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seems to be an assumption in many of these posts that Michael Christian watches every game and decides on his own what should be the subject of sanction and what shouldn't be. I would have thought (without any evidence to back this up) that it is done another way with a small team of AFL employees who watch every game and identify potential issues of concern for MC to consider. If that's correct, MC is more like a judge with the evidence being presented to him by the AFL employees acting as prosecutors. 

Anyone know how the scheme actually works in practice?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON RED & BLUE by Wilma from West Perth

    It was a great weekend for the Red and the Blue on this side of the Nullarbor.   On Saturday, West Perth bested Claremont by two goals after leading all day with the exception of a few early minutes to take out the WAFL Premiership and on Sunday, Melbourne scored a five goal win over Fremantle with a stunning four goals to zip in the final term.   Again, it was the red and the blue leading nearly all day to record their fifth win from six games.   The ou

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES by The Oracle

    Part One - ZERO HOUR, 9AM The AFL Trade Period begins in earnest at 9.00am amid the announcement of a bombshell by North Melbourne’s 2021 Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis that he wants to leave the club and return to his home state to play for Port Adelaide.  The Herald Sun is reporting that “Horne-Francis will cite the instability at North Melbourne this year in his first season“ along with a likely continuation of chaos as a result of the uncertainty surrounding coach Alastair

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...