Snow Joke

one_demon

45 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. These media companies know this, but rather than searching out genuine issues with that difficult, draining and meddlesome stuff called “journalism”, many have discovered it’s just so much easy to create the wheel AND the grease out of thin air. It gets people interested in their crappy product just as effectively as any journalism could, at a quarter of the price. The downside? A society being further divided by skewed impressions of the world they live in. 

So next time you see an article saying “they bloody want to change the name of Smarties because it’s not inclusive of stupid people” ask yourself “Is this real?”  The answer is invariably “no” or “not really”. 

And sure there are occasionally very worthy examples where a call for social change is very loud and absolutely warranted, but it’s important to know how to differentiate and not conflate these things. The narrative that so much of our media pushes of “outraged, whingy, lefty snowflakes” is a dangerous one, because it’s purpose is to dilute other more crucial progressive thought. 

Anyway, sorry for the essay. Got on a roll. I’m of to Perisher Smiggins for a cognac. 

In the USA it's much worse because 85% of Americans are "dumb as a bag of rocks" ( a term coined by an American friend). The term only applies around 80% of the population here.

Edited by dworship

15 minutes ago, dworship said:

In the USA it's much worse because 85% of Americans are "dumb as a bag of rocks" ( a term coined by an American friend). The term only applies around 80% of the population here.

A bigger problem is that a lot of people who wouldn’t fairly be described as stupid often fall prey to this too. 

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 12:04 PM, spalding said:

We’re not gonna change this theme so let’s give it back to these bastards.

We’re got a third of the mrmbers but double the iq

our taxes pay your benefits

Our club invented the game to keep you guys out of the pub on Saturday afternoons

We do think that Medicare should pay for false teeth.

etc etc 

I think this deserves a whole new thread of it's own ... keep the retorts coming.

One rider to that, don't over complicate things.

In the forgoing example; "We’ve got a third of the members but double the iq".  The less intelligent football followers would:

A - Think they had twice as many members as Melbourne

B - Say; "whats an IQ?"

Edited by dworship

4 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

A bigger problem is that a lot of people who wouldn’t fairly be described as stupid often fall prey to this too. 

Always thought the bumper stickers said it best; "Is it the truth or did you read it in the Herald Sun?"

• Like 2

13 hours ago, young dee enthusiast said:

I couldn’t care less about the joke. Like others have said, I’d rather be known for that than be missing teeth or on the dole. 
Water off a ducks back for me, let the haters hate. 

Speaking of ducks, I need to stock up on my pate for this weekends game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

It’s not my fault I live in France, have three cars and support Melbourne. Or that it snows here!

Yes it is! Well except for the snow part. Just own it!

• Like 1

I've always wondered if AFL was switched to a summer season whether the joke would be altered to have us taking to Sorrento or Portsea or something similar in our Volvo's instead. Perhaps it would be more like Lorne maybe.

Edited by Yung Blood

21 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

intelligent people can be as easily brainwashed as dumb people

Yep, you only have to look at cults like the Rajneesh (aka the orange people) and the Ananda Maga, who counted among their membership, large numbers of very highly paid professionals (think Lawyers, Doctors, Architects etc) who donated insane amounts of money to their leaders.  I went to school with Tim Anderson the infamous supposed Hilton Bomber (now cleared of that), and Tim Jones (busted in Thailand with explosives, supposedly on his way to blow up Indira Ghandi); both were, and still are, extremely intelligent people, yet they got drawn into the Ananda Maga.

40 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Yep, you only have to look at cults like the Rajneesh (aka the orange people) and the Ananda Maga, who counted among their membership, large numbers of very highly paid professionals (think Lawyers, Doctors, Architects etc) who donated insane amounts of money to their leaders.  I went to school with Tim Anderson the infamous supposed Hilton Bomber (now cleared of that), and Tim Jones (busted in Thailand with explosives, supposedly on his way to blow up Indira Ghandi); both were, and still are, extremely intelligent people, yet they got drawn into the Ananda Maga.

Well, I guess we've been drawn into the MFC

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dees189227 said:

https://www.instagram.com/knightcartoons/?hl=en

It gave me a chuckle. The third one on his page. I just laugh at the snow jokes now. 

"The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about" - Oscar Wilde: wit, poet, author, and probable Demons supporter

13 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Did I see it correctly that there were only 24,000 at the Collingwood-Gold Coast triumph today?

Top deck of the MCG looked closed whenever it appeared on camera, so I'd believe it.

It looked like MFC vs Freo in the Neeld years. Except the margin wasn't 60 points.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I got my partner to follow the Dees at the end of 2017, she wasn’t really a footy fan and wanted to know why I love our Dees and wanted to experience game day etc. She got hooked after a few matches and loves the Dees, and Maxy, now. ? A work acquaintance ripped out the old snow joke, followed by the cheese platter jokes, my partner asked what it meant, I explained the “joke/dig” to her and she just looked at me and said, “Is that all they say, that’s not bad, Melbourne really is my team because I love the snow and cheese platters. Can we actually take a platter to the next game?” ??

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Males said:

I got my partner to follow the Dees at the end of 2017, she wasn’t really a footy fan and wanted to know why I love our Dees and wanted to experience game day etc. She got hooked after a few matches and loves the Dees, and Maxy, now. ? A work acquaintance ripped out the old snow joke, followed by the cheese platter jokes, my partner asked what it meant, I explained the “joke/dig” to her and she just looked at me and said, “Is that all they say, that’s not bad, Melbourne really is my team because I love the snow and cheese platters. Can we actually take a platter to the next game?” ??

Keeper!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Males said:

I got my partner to follow the Dees at the end of 2017, she wasn’t really a footy fan and wanted to know why I love our Dees and wanted to experience game day etc. She got hooked after a few matches and loves the Dees, and Maxy, now. ? A work acquaintance ripped out the old snow joke, followed by the cheese platter jokes, my partner asked what it meant, I explained the “joke/dig” to her and she just looked at me and said, “Is that all they say, that’s not bad, Melbourne really is my team because I love the snow and cheese platters. Can we actually take a platter to the next game???

only way to live

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Males said:

She’s also spot on. 

I lean into it; ‘so I have disposable cash? And connections? And an education? And have high end tastes? 

You just really hate yourself don’t you?’

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Males said:

It's pretty funny when the worst they can come up with is effectively saying "you have large amounts of disposable income"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Is the the lead up to the joke that ends with "it's your turn in the barrel" ?

Nope, I believe that's "your turn over the barrel" sailor-boy