Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

CHANGES: Rd 02 vs St. Kilda



Recommended Posts

This would be my ins based on gut feeling. 

In: Viney, Melksham

Out: Harmes Sparrow

We know Goody is a fan of Melksham, and being on a quick deck we could use Melkshams clean kicking skills. Melksham has only played the 1 VFL game so they may just go with the one change being Viney for Harmes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wtf? Jetta was actually good today. He won a number of critical one on ones.

JOnes and Jetta will not and should not be dropped. Jetta won a lot of 1:1s today and was very solid down Back

For what? 2 goals 1, 2nd most score involvements, 6 marks, his pressure and contest work was all improved if not decent, nailed a couple of tackles. All against a very strong Freo backline. The breeze

Posted Images

On 3/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Mental Demons said:

If we are going to beat the Saints, we need to be quicker. I am not too sure how much we can do that. St Kilda are not a big team. Chandler for Jackson is an improvement. I think if we play Jackson we are no chance of beating the Saints.

Yep, Chandler would be good relieving in the ruck. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer about Harmes being out,

watch the replay first 30 seconds of the first quarter, he got a pass from the certre scrum side stepped or went past an opponent   heading for the edge of the square and goal,   AND a free kick goes to the dockers behind him.

I am not a Harmes fan but he got himself into some great positions,   simillar to Spargo getting into the stream of football.

 

Chandler needs to play somewhere,   If Harmes is out  then Viney comes in if he is fit enough    Do not think there will be many other changes    We won, rusty   but we won,  4 points in the bank.   Give those players another chance, But is not going to be a walk in the park.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Did I just read that Brayshaw will be playing wing for the year? 

I cannot understand Goodwin. 

Is that the same player that once got a 37 possession 3 goal game playing as an inside mid?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Did I just read that Brayshaw will be playing wing for the year? 

I cannot understand Goodwin. 

Last year Brayshaw played between the arcs for a large part of games..  He was the 'go-to' player in transition.  So if he plays on the wing I'm guessing his role will be as a link-up player controlling one side of the ground rather the Langdon type wing who is more a run-and-carry player because of his speed.

The structures and players will need to be well set up to help them play those roles to optimise our ball movement out of defence.

Despite not being 'fast', Brayshaw has very good footy IQ, has good vision and regardless of what some on here say is a good user of the ball.  If my hunch is right about how his wing role might evolve then it could be good move. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Did I just read that Brayshaw will be playing wing for the year? 

I cannot understand Goodwin. 

It worked pretty well on the weekend so lets wait and see...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

in that case...

In: Viney, Melksham, Hibbo

Out: Sparrow, Jones, Harmes

Vandenberg injury sub 

What has Melksham done to deserve a recall ? Did he play a blinder last week ? 

His form in the last couple of seasons has been poor and I would have thought he should earn a recall particularly when others have done a full pre season and have greater match fitness. I'd love to think we are past the days of gifting players games on reputation
 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rjay said:

Harmes now out injured for 6 weeks with broken wrist...Viney for Harmes

Disappointing news - despite the lack of love for James Harmes from some here at Demonland I think we are a better team with him in the side - played out of position most of last year which was not his choice

Edited by Sydee
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Latest Injury List:

image.png.d974e7d3fa506cdfde7a602e727ac99c.png

   

Some serious outs for the Saints.  They get Max King back but he is lacking match practice and would be having nightmares playing against May again.  If any of our Hibberd, Viney or Melksham return they will at least have some match practice.  Injuries will be no excuse for us should we lose this weekend as they are worse off than us.

Petracca and May won us the game last time we played them.  We need an all team effort this week.

We must bank these early wins against wounded opponents. 

   
     
Edit:  Just saw the news re Harmes' wrist.  Fortunately, I think we have plenty of coverage for him and his role.  If Viney is ready it is an easy swap this or next week.    
     
     
     
     

Apologies if mentioned earlier/somewhere else, what’s the latest with Ben Browns injury?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Last year Brayshaw played between the arcs for a large part of games..  He was the 'go-to' player in transition.  So if he plays on the wing I'm guessing his role will be as a link-up player controlling one side of the ground rather the Langdon type wing who is more a run-and-carry player because of his speed.

The structures and players will need to be well set up to help them play those roles to optimise our ball movement out of defence.

Despite not being 'fast', Brayshaw has very good footy IQ, has good vision and regardless of what some on here say is a good user of the ball.  If my hunch is right about how his wing role might evolve then it could be good move. 

 

11 minutes ago, rjay said:

It worked pretty well on the weekend so lets wait and see...

 

Disagree with both of you. 18 touches with 9 handballs and 9 kicks going at a touch over 60% with four turnovers. 

I watched him closely, and aside from a few good individual pieces of play, he was underwhelming. The bloke came third in a brownlow after playing his natural game ffs. Are we thinking about this?!? I am completely disillusioned with Goodwin. 

Against better sides, his lack of transition speed will be found out. His natural instinct is to see ball get ball so I've never understood Goodwin's propensity to play natural inside and contested ball winners on a wing with a role that goes completely against their natural game. We've always had issues with our mids being sucked into the contest. And part of that is due to playing natural ball winners in outside positions who find it hard to hold space. When has it worked over the last two years or three years? Tyson, Jones, Brayshaw, AVB.. 

Tom Phillips was there as a cheap option over the trade period. Look at how played for Hawthorn on the weekend. A natural wingman. 

Gus is not even a top runner at the club either so the extended quarters and fewer rotations are not going to help him. His ball use is iffy at best. 

I will wait a few more games when we play better oppo, but it's already concerning. We've seen this before and to what effect? 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I hope this now gives Brayshae the opportunity to spend more quality minutes as an inside midfielder.

I have a feeling that this year they will generally only run two pure inside mids at a time, and sometimes perhaps even only one. 

Meaning a mix of two (sometimes one) of Oliver, Viney,  Tracc and sometimes Sparrow. Which leaves no rotation for Gus i don't think. 

To augment this set up, as they have shown already in the two practice games and the Freo game, they will run players like Jordon, Kozzie, Sparrow, Harmes (when available), ANB and even players like Melksham and Jackson (who i'm sure will at some point play as mid whilst Max is still in the ruck) as mids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Did I just read that Brayshaw will be playing wing for the year? 

I cannot understand Goodwin. 

Who would you play on the wing? We have a lot of inside mids 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Against better sides, his lack of transition speed will be found out. His natural instinct is to see ball get ball so I've never understood Goodwin's propensity to play natural inside and contested ball winners on a wing with a role that goes completely against their natural game. We've always had issues with our mids being sucked into the contest. And part of that is due to playing natural ball winners in outside positions who find it hard to hold space. When has it worked over the last two years or three years? Tyson, Jones, Brayshaw, AVB.. 

Agree with you it’s not ideal and we should’ve done more over summer (though less convinced on Phillips).

But I think Gus’ transition speed kills us more on ball than the wing. If he doesn’t get his hands on it at centre clearances opposition mids spring right past him. Remember we had 2 off the back of the square covering in 2018.

We could use Pickett at bounces then swap Gus in from half forward. 

But then we’re back to who’s playing on the wing? Can’t have Baker. Vanders is similar problems as Gus with the ball (only worse) but a better defensive player. Jordon maybe? Bowey maybe?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gus with a foot injury at training so might not be an issue 

As in, an injury today? Know it's early, but flare up of previous one or new one?

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gus with a foot injury at training so might not be an issue 

 

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

As in, an injury today? Know it's early, but flare up of previous one or new one?

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

No way Gus will be risked, and fingers crossed its not something long term.

 

In  -      Viney,   Bedford

Out -    Harmes, Brayshaw

 

Bedford has been playing well at Casey and we need running power.  Saints seem like a perfect matchup for him.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Tom Phillips was there as a cheap option over the trade period. Look at how played for Hawthorn on the weekend. A natural wingman. 

I'm on record as saying we should have gone after Phillips, in fact I think I was the first on here to mention the possibility.

For whatever reason, we didn't make that move.

...so, now Brayshaw is probably our best bet.

Certainly streets ahead of Baker.

Hopefully one the kids will stand up and demand a shot but until then it looks like Brayshaw is the man.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Disagree with both of you. 18 touches with 9 handballs and 9 kicks going at a touch over 60% with four turnovers. 

I watched him closely, and aside from a few good individual pieces of play, he was underwhelming. The bloke came third in a brownlow after playing his natural game ffs. Are we thinking about this?!? I am completely disillusioned with Goodwin. 

Against better sides, his lack of transition speed will be found out. His natural instinct is to see ball get ball so I've never understood Goodwin's propensity to play natural inside and contested ball winners on a wing with a role that goes completely against their natural game. We've always had issues with our mids being sucked into the contest. And part of that is due to playing natural ball winners in outside positions who find it hard to hold space. When has it worked over the last two years or three years? Tyson, Jones, Brayshaw, AVB.. 

Tom Phillips was there as a cheap option over the trade period. Look at how played for Hawthorn on the weekend. A natural wingman. 

Gus is not even a top runner at the club either so the extended quarters and fewer rotations are not going to help him. His ball use is iffy at best. 

I will wait a few more games when we play better oppo, but it's already concerning. We've seen this before and to what effect? 

Pure speculation on my part but I can see different elements to our game plan being applied when we play thru the wings:. 

  • fast, attacking play (ala Tigers/Bulldogs) thru Langdon
  • 'controlled' football (ala Geelong/WCE) thru Brayshaw. 

But as I said earlier it requires good positioning/structures and players to be well versed in each style.

These make us less predictable to the opp but more predictable to team mates.  And we have more of a chance to to control the tempo of games which we haven't been good at in the past.   

But as I said pure guess work on my part,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...