Jump to content

AFL Live Pass Discontinued


John Crow Batty

Recommended Posts

The AFL App on Telstra will be integrated with Rupert Murdoch’s Kayo sports app and AFL App users on Telstra will now pay for the Kayo app. This means all other sports now on Kayo including NRL will be included. Some will be happy and others including me will not welcome the bloatware of sports I’m not interested in and having to pay for it. Telstra customers will only pay $5 a month at least for the first year. Then likely they will like be slugged up to the full $25 a month for the Kayo App. It is unclear how this affects AFL App users on other carriers. 
https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/telstra-to-quit-nrl-afl-streaming-apps-in-sports-strategy-shift-20210202-p56ysc.html

Edited by america de cali
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Crow Batty changed the title to AFL app is no longer free for Telstra customers.

5 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

At least if you get a kayo account for $5 per month you can watch it on full screen TV.

Now if only we could get rid of the Channel 7 commentary

I am not sure this Kayo app can be watched on full screenTV’s. May be only for mobile devices.

Edited by america de cali
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How long until footy is off free to air tv as well? [censored] me dead the AFL are doing everything they can to ruin the game and then make it unavailable to the public.

The new rule changes are rubbish. The viewing options are scattered, inconsistent and costly trash. Can’t even beam to a tv in full screen despite paying for the [censored] content!

When I can’t make the games at the MCG, I won’t be watching anymore.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I am not sure this Kayo app can be watched on full screenTV’s. May be only for mobile devices.

I subscribed to Kayo last year ADC and chrome casted from the app to the TV. Worked fine.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, In Harmes Way said:

I subscribed to Kayo last year ADC and chrome casted from the app to the TV. Worked fine.

I will wait until the app is up and running. I still am annoyed at the “new improved” AFL app from a couple of years ago when suddenly the size of the viewing screen was reduced to phone size on tablets. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Part of the pinch here will be mobile data if you are out and about. AFL was unmetered, I liked to watch matches etc while at the gym, made easier as the data did not come off my mobile monthly usage. Will be the killer for me...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, binman said:

Great. I've got kayo already. So now I lose tge benefit of the afl app.what does tbst mean for the replay library and afl pro (which is what I mainly use afl live for)? I have to pay for live pass to use?

Kayo has replays, but it's a very good question about the pro version of the stats. Which really isn't all that pro anyway but at least offers more insight than the basics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Eelesie said:

Part of the pinch here will be mobile data if you are out and about. AFL was unmetered, I liked to watch matches etc while at the gym, made easier as the data did not come off my mobile monthly usage. Will be the killer for me...

Good point. Telstra should make kayo unmetered for customers. The size of data plans are escalating pretty quickly though. I'm looking at an ad right now below this reply box for $30 for 36GB. And it's well overdue that gyms start installing some proper wifi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure what the angst is about the vast majority of the AFL revenue comes from the media. After the last season when the media got way less games to televise the demand for more revenue streams would have been hi from the media channels and Gil would be busting a gut to accommodate them given the loans he took against the Dome of death to keep the league viable.

Sport around the world is now mainly pay for view, FTA has very little. The only reason it still gets a chance in Australia is because of Government laws  that keep it that way.

The future is clear pay up or don't watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I will wait until the app is up and running. I still am annoyed at the “new improved” AFL app from a couple of years ago when suddenly the size of the viewing screen was reduced to phone size on tablets. 

The kayo app is up and running, it's purely the discount that is new. It's already $15 for telstra customers, now it's $5 for existing AFL Live customers. The AFL app had streaming restrictions that banned it from full size. Kayo's fine to chromecast, connect to a laptop via hdmi, with an apple tv and I think with telstra tv's, samsung tv and android tv.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, old dee said:

I am not sure what the angst is about the vast majority of the AFL revenue comes from the media. After the last season when the media got way less games to televise the demand for more revenue streams would have been hi from the media channels and Gil would be busting a gut to accommodate them given the loans he took against the Dome of death to keep the league viable.

Sport around the world is now mainly pay for view, FTA has very little. The only reason it still gets a chance in Australia is because of Government laws  that keep it that way.

The future is clear pay up or don't watch.

Sports that through greed or desperation put everything behind paywalls will suffer as well. Free to air TV still reaches the widest audience which then keeps it relevant and makes more money in the long term. The question is how much longer free to air tv will even exist and if everything ends up owned by big tech in the end. 

The thing I'd like to see is members rewarded with a free or discounted streaming package. Pay $300 for a membership, here's a link to access all 22 Melbourne games streamed to you.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The kayo app is up and running, it's purely the discount that is new. It's already $15 for telstra customers, now it's $5 for existing AFL Live customers. The AFL app had streaming restrictions that banned it from full size. Kayo's fine to chromecast, connect to a laptop via hdmi, with an apple tv and I think with telstra tv's, samsung tv and android tv.

The Kayo app is pretty good, don't get me wrong. I have an apple TV (4th gen) and it works well, as well as running it on my laptop and connecting it to the TV via HDMI. Still no support for Xbox or Playstation, but I suspect that it will be this year.

There are replays from 2018 onwards only (not that I am chasing much outta 2013...) but most relevant is the fact that as Fox does not have rights to the finals series, the 18 finals replays for example are not available on Kayo...

Edited by Eelesie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Sports that through greed or desperation put everything behind paywalls will suffer as well. Free to air TV still reaches the widest audience which then keeps it relevant and makes more money in the long term. The question is how much longer free to air tv will even exist and if everything ends up owned by big tech in the end. 

The thing I'd like to see is members rewarded with a free or discounted streaming package. Pay $300 for a membership, here's a link to access all 22 Melbourne games streamed to you.

Google all over again DS!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Kayo has replays, but it's a very good question about the pro version of the stats. Which really isn't all that pro anyway but at least offers more insight than the basics.

I was referring to the AFL pro vision which gives video of very involvement (kick, handball, once percenter, tackle, free for, free against, score, score involvement, mark) of every player in every game. Love it

Agree the stats are pretty average. I assume the pro vision is the software that generates the stats.

The thing i like about the replays on AFL.com via AFL live is that they slice it up into quarters and have no extraneous [censored]. So you can watch what you want without searching on the kayo replay which is one long file.

kayo is good option for replays where you want to watch the pre game stuff, quarter time break stuff and post game interviews and analysis etc.

Also the AFL replays are not available until 24 hours after the game whereas kayo are available immediately (or even whilst the game is on)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

How long until footy is off free to air tv as well? [censored] me dead the AFL are doing everything they can to ruin the game and then make it unavailable to the public.

The new rule changes are rubbish. The viewing options are scattered, inconsistent and costly trash. Can’t even beam to a tv in full screen despite paying for the [censored] content!

When I can’t make the games at the MCG, I won’t be watching anymore.

The more money tv give to sport the less people actually watch that sport, ever since cricket was taken off free to air tv in the UK less and less people now watch cricket in England. It's actually a trap for sport, they lose viewers for more money, and in the long run they lose money.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, binman said:

I was referring to the AFL pro vision which gives video of very involvement (kick, handball, once percenter, tackle, free for, free against, score, score involvement, mark) of every player in every game. Love it

Agree the stats are pretty average. I assume the pro vision is the software that generates the stats.

The thing i like about the replays on AFL.com via AFL live is that they slice it up into quarters and have no extraneous [censored]. So you can watch what you want without searching on the kayo replay which is one long file.

kayo is good option for replays where you want to watch the pre game stuff, quarter time break stuff and post game interviews and analysis etc.

Also the AFL replays are not available until 24 hours after the game whereas kayo are available immediately (or even whilst the game is on)

The game has never been more available that said you pay or go without. FTA gives some games each week.

I have adopted the attitude that I go to games and if I cannot I watch on FTA the rest I miss outon seeing . I have objected to paying.

Then along comes 2020 season that made my plan hard to sustain, I lost interest to some extent but I had a few things interrupt that the GP did not have.

So here we are facing god knows what for season 2021 and I am forced to admit my previous practise will see me get to see only a few games a year.  Decision time is approaching I will have to pay I am afraid as the alternative is rather bleak.

 

Edited by old dee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boyz, use a VPN to locate your net address outside Aus, then take an international membership at MFC which gives you access to the WatchAFL app at a minor discount and you get every game, plus Fox Footy shows, no ads during play and all the sauce....

Not exactly right, but not exactly wrong either....

Edited by Grr-owl
Love my boyzzzzz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I go to the pub and watch the games not on FTA, with the guys I go to the games with. mind you it was a bit hard to do that last year so I signed up for KAYO for $5 a month, then they cancelled the season for 3 months, and I forgot to unsubscribe my KAYO and ended up get stiffed for $25 per month., but kept it cause it was the only way I could watch the Dees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 218

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 42

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...