Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

1991 Melbourne Versus North Melbourne


dieter
 Share


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, nosoupforme said:

Darren Bennett having a shot at goal on the Gee inside the square many times at least 65 metres out  and the ball would travel into the crowd. At times well over the posts. The city end was his favourite end. He was a straight kick from a long  way out . Many of the games l have watched from the wings over the decades. 

Jackovich"s inclusion in the side pushed Bennett out to CHF and struggled to have same effect . Yep dieter is on the money there.

 

He was much better from further out than he was from inside 25m. I always hoped he'd go back 35m a la BBB when he took a mark close to goal and kick it from 50.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


The last 2 years the top goalkicker got 22 and that is one of the reasons we have been poor in 2019 and 2020.

If Ben Brown can emulate players like Fanning and Bennett in the next season then we will play finals and maybe if the team remain injury free we may get the ultimate prize?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

14 goals in his first 2 games (7 each against the Pies and North) then 11 for the other 4?

After those two bags of 7 goals, he was very disappointing the following week against Brisbane - could only manage 5 sausages!

I think he debuted a few weeks earlier (Vs Fitzroy at Princes Park) before he went nuts against Collingwood and North. 

Kicked 5 goals in his first 3 games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, durango said:

The last 2 years the top goalkicker got 22 and that is one of the reasons we have been poor in 2019 and 2020.

If Ben Brown can emulate players like Fanning and Bennett in the next season then we will play finals and maybe if the team remain injury free we may get the ultimate prize?

There should be a team aim for Ben Brown to kick the ton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dieter said:

He was: in 1991 he kicked 25 goals in six games, then, like a shooting star, fell to earth and disintegrated.

I remember Darren Cuthbertson well  Waverley against Collingwood played on Dennis Banks a fair player  as Cuthbertson kicked 7 goals, Always good to beat the Pies. The previous week  he managed 7 against North.

  and 5 against Brisbane. 19 goals in three games      Played 29 games . 

Had something there but was short lived.

Went back to Epping and played in a couple of Premierships.  What a waste of talent.

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

Since 64 Never has and to date ....... don't look likely to either, Just look at our abysmal games against Freo and Sydney when it counted this year. And I could go on and onn and onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Mentally very fragile!

We all witnessed it PF

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/13/2020 at 2:47 PM, Cranky Franky said:

Agree with most of this but calling Darren Bennett "phenomenal" is way over the top.

Coleman was phenomenal ditto Ablett, Jackovich briefly & probably Jurrah for a millisecond. Bennett was very good on his day & sometime spectacular but nowhere near phenomenal.

 

 

The LA (nee San Diego) Chargers would disagree with you, he is in their Hall of Fame. :lol:

On 12/13/2020 at 6:41 PM, nosoupforme said:

Darren Bennett having a shot at goal on the Gee inside the square many times at least 65 metres out  and the ball would travel into the crowd. At times well over the posts. The city end was his favourite end. He was a straight kick from a long  way out . Many of the games l have watched from the wings over the decades. 

Jackovich"s inclusion in the side pushed Bennett out to CHF and struggled to have same effect . Yep dieter is on the money there.

 

They had one game together in 91 where they kicked 15 between them from memory (Jakovich 8, Bennett 7) against Sydney at the SCG. Would've been great if they figured out how to work together.

Jakovich, Bennett, Cuthbertson all had periods during 91 plus Rocket Owen as well I think. A team loaded with X factor but far too inconsistent.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Darren Bennett kicked 87 goals in 1990.

Thats the most by a Melbourne player since Fred Fanning in 1947 and the third highest ever in a season for a Melbourne player.

Great season by Bennett, but an indictment on the 100+ year history of the club also.

Indictment? How many clubs landed a Coleman, Lockett, Dunstall, Longmire etc? 

It's the luck of the draw. Melbourne won premierships in 1955, 56, 57, 59, 60 and 64 without one major goalkicker. Look at the past 10 premierships, name one that had a high scoring Full-forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, dieter said:

Indictment? How many clubs landed a Coleman, Lockett, Dunstall, Longmire etc? 

 

 

To answer your question  -  almost all of them.

Heres how many clubs have had century goalkickers -

Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fitzroy
Footscray  (Westen Bulldogs)
Geelong
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Richmond
South Melbourne
St. Kilda
Sydney
West Coast

 

Most of those clubs have had 100 goalkickers on multiple occasions, some have done it many times  (Hawthorn 12 times for example, vs Melbournes zero times).

 Our record is abysmal and yes, being around for 120 years with such a  lack of goalkicking talent (and talent in general) to come though is an indictment on the club and a stain on its history.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, Pickett2Jackson said:

 

To answer your question  -  almost all of them.

Heres how many clubs have had century goalkickers -

Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fitzroy
Footscray  (Westen Bulldogs)
Geelong
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Richmond
South Melbourne
St. Kilda
Sydney
West Coast

 

Most of those clubs have had 100 goalkickers on multiple occasions, some have done it many times  (Hawthorn 12 times for example, vs Melbournes zero times).

 Our record is abysmal and yes, being around for 120 years with such a  lack of goalkicking talent (and talent in general) to come though is an indictment on the club and a stain on its history.

It's not a indictment of the dees history, up until the 70's, 100 + goal kicking seasons was very rare, not a indictment on our whole history just the last 50 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2020 at 9:34 PM, Pickett2Jackson said:

 

To answer your question  -  almost all of them.

Heres how many clubs have had century goalkickers -

Adelaide
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fitzroy
Footscray  (Westen Bulldogs)
Geelong
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Richmond
South Melbourne
St. Kilda
Sydney
West Coast

 

Most of those clubs have had 100 goalkickers on multiple occasions, some have done it many times  (Hawthorn 12 times for example, vs Melbournes zero times).

 Our record is abysmal and yes, being around for 120 years with such a  lack of goalkicking talent (and talent in general) to come though is an indictment on the club and a stain on its history.

As usual, quite a scientific analysis of the MFC. Not!.

In the period 1954 - 1964 when MFC won 6 Flags, played in 2 losing grand finals, here is the list of the leading goalkickers:

1954: Noel Clarke              51 ( Grand Final loss after finishing last the year before. )

1955: Stu Spencer             34

1956: R. Johnson              43

1957: A. WEbb                   56

1958: Barassi, Webb        44

1959: Barassi                    46

1960: Ian Ridley               38

1961: R.Johnson             36

1962: Mithen                    37

1963: B.Bourke                48

1964: J. Townsend          35.

The Coleman Medal winners for this period:

Jack Collins 1954 Footscray 73
Noel Rayson 1955 Geelong 77
Bill Young 1956 St Kilda 56
Jack Collins (2) 1957 Footscray 74
Ian Brewer 1958 Collingwood 67
Ron Evans 1959 Essendon 69
Ron Evans (2) 1960 Essendon 67
Tom Carroll 1961 Carlton 54
Doug Wade 1962 Geelong 62
John Peck 1963 Hawthorn 69
John Peck (2) 1964 Hawthorn 68

 

 

For the record, only two teams won the Flag and the Coleman simultaneously: Footscray, 1954. Collingwood 1958. 

Collins kicked 73 goals for the Dogs, Brewer kicked 67 for the E Coli Wobblers. 

Also, as you can see for that 10 year period, the closest to 100 was Rayson with 77.

So, I put it to you, Mister whoever you choose to call yourself these days, having 100 plus a year goalkickers in the overall scheme isn't a symptom of anything much at all. There are always contexts.

I also put it to you that Lockett, Dunstall, Hudson, Quinlan, Ablett, Taylor, Roach, Wade, McKenna and Franklin were/are freaks. 

Also, from the period 1968 until now only five teams have won the flag when their F/F kicked over 100;

1971: Hudson, Hawthorn.

1980:Roach, Richmond

1988: Dunstall, Hawthorn

1989: Ditto

2008: Franklin, Hawthorn.

It would therefore seem, that it's mainly been Hawthorn since 1968 who have actually benefited from having guns kicking their goals.

They've also won many other flags, especially the most recent ones, without the Cohuna Goalkicker.

Edited by dieter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dieter said:

As usual, quite a scientific analysis of the MFC. Not!.

In the period 1954 - 1964 when MFC won 6 Flags, played in 2 losing grand finals, here is the list of the leading goalkickers:

1954: Noel Clarke              51 ( Grand Final loss after finishing last the year before. )

1955: Stu Spencer             34

1956: R. Johnson              43

1957: A. WEbb                   56

1958: Barassi, Webb        44

1959: Barassi                    46

1960: Ian Ridley               38

1961: R.Johnson             36

1962: Mithen                    37

1963: B.Bourke                48

1964: J. Townsend          35.

The Coleman Medal winners for this period:

Jack Collins 1954 Footscray 73
Noel Rayson 1955 Geelong 77
Bill Young 1956 St Kilda 56
Jack Collins (2) 1957 Footscray 74
Ian Brewer 1958 Collingwood 67
Ron Evans 1959 Essendon 69
Ron Evans (2) 1960 Essendon 67
Tom Carroll 1961 Carlton 54
Doug Wade 1962 Geelong 62
John Peck 1963 Hawthorn 69
John Peck (2) 1964 Hawthorn 68

 

 

For the record, only two teams won the Flag and the Coleman simultaneously: Footscray, 1954. Collingwood 1958. 

Collins kicked 73 goals for the Dogs, Brewer kicked 67 for the E Coli Wobblers. 

Also, as you can see for that 10 year period, the closest to 100 was Rayson with 77.

So, I put it to you, Mister whoever you choose to call yourself these days, having 100 plus a year goalkickers in the overall scheme isn't a symptom of anything much at all. There are always contexts.

I also put it to you that Lockett, Dunstall, Hudson, Quinlan, Ablett, Taylor, Roach, Wade, McKenna and Franklin were/are freaks. 

Also, from the period 1968 until now only five teams have won the flag when their F/F kicked over 100;

1971: Hudson, Hawthorn.

1980:Roach, Richmond

1988: Dunstall, Hawthorn

1989: Ditto

2008: Franklin, Hawthorn.

It would therefore seem, that it's mainly been Hawthorn since 1968 who have actually benefited from having guns kicking their goals.

They've also won many other flags, especially the most recent ones, without the Cohuna Goalkicker.

Brilliant. Beat me to it by a couple of hours. Also saved me an hours worth of work. In fact I'd go so far as to say the last thing Melb want is for BBB to kick 100 goals in 2021. Almost guarantees we won't play in a granny, let alone win a flag. 

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if one day we can have a discussion or debate without references to how hopeless, fragile, weak, pathetic our club was or still is. 

By the way, great work Dieter. It’s amazing how our memories and opinions are not always backed up by the Stats. Truth and our so called facts are clouded by our own memories and filters. 

My memory is that Darren Bennett was an inconsistent and problematic player. He did not seem to suit the team structure or the team structure did not suit him. 

But blow me down, he kicked 87 goals in a season. Amazing. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, hemingway said:

I wonder if one day we can have a discussion or debate without references to how hopeless, fragile, weak, pathetic our club was or still is. 

By the way, great work Dieter. It’s amazing how our memories and opinions are not always backed up by the Stats. Truth and our so called facts are clouded by our own memories and filters. 

My memory is that Darren Bennett was an inconsistent and problematic player. He did not seem to suit the team structure or the team structure did not suit him. 

But blow me down, he kicked 87 goals in a season. Amazing. 

His suitability and 'structural' problems set in when Mister Jacovich arrived. It meant they couldn't play Bennet at Full Forward.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, dieter said:

His suitability and 'structural' problems set in when Mister Jacovich arrived. It meant they couldn't play Bennet at Full Forward.

From memory his knee did not help and he was slow on the ground, lacking agility. But a good overhead mark and great kick. One of the longest I have ever seen kicking for goal. Incredible follow through. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hemingway said:

I wonder if one day we can have a discussion or debate without references to how hopeless, fragile, weak, pathetic our club was or still is. 

By the way, great work Dieter. It’s amazing how our memories and opinions are not always backed up by the Stats. Truth and our so called facts are clouded by our own memories and filters. 

My memory is that Darren Bennett was an inconsistent and problematic player. He did not seem to suit the team structure or the team structure did not suit him. 

But blow me down, he kicked 87 goals in a season. Amazing. 

Played a great game here 

Was always underrated in my view 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

91’ team was a good team, speaking to past players the consensus was that 1990 was the year they felt got away in terms of the Premiership. 
This was a great game for Demon fans and one the league took great notice of one A.Jakovich. Undoubtedly his best game for the Dees.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2020 at 10:29 AM, dieter said:

His suitability and 'structural' problems set in when Mister Jacovich arrived. It meant they couldn't play Bennet at Full Forward.

Exactly. Poor Bennet was forced out to CHF and never was the same again. He wasn’t mobile enough nor a great overhead mark. Given he could kick goals from 60 m you would think it would have worked, if only he could get the ball. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...