Finals Week 1

Demonland

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

How depressing to think us and Brisbane were both bottom feeders not long ago... look at them and look at us. Good coaching is just so important. 

It is quite staggering really. Chris Fagan and David Noble have done a bloody good job.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

10.9.69 to 8.6.54

Horribly irrelevant fact but that was the exact score that we beat Hawthorn in June 1989 out at Princes Park. Massive win by the boys at the time.

Haha. The Mud heap full of sawdust. 
remember that day

• Like 1

Well done brisbane but gee thought they were going to let it slip when they couldn't kick a goal in that final quarter. 

Happy for Fagan and I reckon his mate Neale would be rapt for him. 

So far results have gone the right way. We just need west coast to knock out the pies. 

• Like 3

spin it Gil

Outside the shopping mall-sized food, gaming and football facility of the Southport Sharks, Queensland's strongest local Australian rules football club, three teenage boys and a girl, dressed casually in Queensland-style with shorts and T-shirts, were unaware that the AFL had relocated to their corner of the country.

"No, we don't know anything about it," said the girl.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/does-queensland-care-about-the-afl-finals-20201002-p561cx.html

reminds me of when I asked a group of young NT football players about what they thought of the MFC in NT. Who... they replied !!

I hope Goodwin shows a video of the Lions Tigers game to the group as a perfect example of how to play.

Incredible how they had so many playing to their role, and their pressure work was outstanding.

Also, apart from the first quarter and a bit, watch how they got things done at the centre bounces. Big O made a few brilliant taps to advantage. Given that Goodwin always likes to reiterate that we are stoppage team I think there's some work to do

3 hours ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

I’ve loved watching both teams at stoppages, the amount of blocking they do to support/release their teammate is fantastic.

Just shows how easy we could make it for ourselves with Max and our Mids with some quality coaching.

Problem being that we haven’t really been a stoppage team for two years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Haha. The Mud heap full of sawdust. 
remember that day

We’re you at the game mate?

I only have the Queens Birthday Monday  5pm CH 7 replay to remember that game. As a youngster back then it felt like winning a mini grand final - beating a team at the height of their powers.

Who would have thought that half decent teams that played at home and  less travelling are through to prelim when statistically rigorous evidence over many years would have overwhelming suggested just as so. Nah its coaching. They play 13/17 in Melbourne they are the 8-9 end of year.  It a bs season enjoy it for what it is but to take inference from it, lol.

• Like 2

Hardwick may have let slip a way to beat Richmond.  He said Brisb made 'long spoils which took their small players out of play'.

A simple tactic so when the ball goes to ground the Richmond players are out of position to crumb.  For sure, Hardwick will change his strucures to counteract in future.  Nonetheless, thought it showed good planning by Fagan and co.

Hardwick also said 'their system beat our system'.  It is a major achievement to beat the best system in the AFL  Shows the value of an easy to follow game plan that is second nature to the players.   Wish ours was like that.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

One of the biggest differences between Lions, Tigers, Eagles, Power and the rest is the whole team buying in.

They all play as a group. Complete belief in what they are doing.

We are miles off that, all our wins have been on the back of 2-3 individuals having good games.

We don’t go out with the unity and desire to perform the task that those top four do

• Like 5

Hardwick was whinging again! 

Said tigers were undisciplined in giving up 5 goals from frees and 50m penalties while saying the umps were 'trigger happy' and they should let the players play.

His team showed complacency and arrogance before the bounce and played that way.  Got what they deserved.

Hardwick is up there with Scott on my disliked coach list!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, BW511 said:

One of the biggest differences between Lions, Tigers, Eagles, Power and the rest is the whole team buying in.

They all play as a group. Complete belief in what they are doing.

We are miles off that, all our wins have been on the back of 2-3 individuals having good games.

We don’t go out with the unity and desire to perform the task that those top four do

You’re right. We are miles off.

I’d also say

Those teams are well drilled with everyone clear about their roles. We're not.

Those teams bring consistent application and effort. We don’t.

Those teams bring pressure. Real pressure. Sometimes we do.

Those teams are well coached. We most certainly are not.

Looks like we’ll shake up the coaching supporting cast as part of this FD review. It’ll make no difference. The fish rots from the head. 

7 hours ago, Jjrogan said:

Who would have thought that half decent teams that played at home and  less travelling are through to prelim when statistically rigorous evidence over many years would have overwhelming suggested just as so. Nah its coaching. They play 13/17 in Melbourne they are the 8-9 end of year.  It a bs season enjoy it for what it is but to take inference from it, lol.

Agree 100%. I’ve never seen a team such as Brisbane get a red carpet entry to a grand final. They’ve left QLD twice this year FCS - two massive trips from Brisbane to Sydney.

I can’t take this season seriously with all the rules and fixturing made up on the run - particular West Coast and Collingwood being made to quarantine in WA when they had 2 perfectly suitable venues in QLD with no quarantine requirements.

Add in the fact that we’re probably the only league/sport in the world to shorten its games this year. 

19 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Agree 100%. I’ve never seen a team such as Brisbane get a red carpet entry to a grand final. They’ve left QLD twice this year FCS - two massive trips from Brisbane to Sydney.

I can’t take this season seriously with all the rules and fixturing made up on the run - particular West Coast and Collingwood being made to quarantine in WA when they had 2 perfectly suitable venues in QLD with no quarantine requirements.

Add in the fact that we’re probably the only league/sport in the world to shorten its games this year. 

Good post. Brisbane are a good side, but gee the fixturing has certainly helped them 

8 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We’re you at the game mate?

I only have the Queens Birthday Monday  5pm CH 7 replay to remember that game. As a youngster back then it felt like winning a mini grand final - beating a team at the height of their powers.

No, i was at work, but I remember watching the Live Feed from Ch7. The whole ground was 6 inches of mud.  

Edited by Sir Why You Little

10 hours ago, trout said:

It is quite staggering really. Chris Fagan and David Noble have done a bloody good job.

Yep we’re going around in circles for decades... need to look at his people around him Swan inc assistants,  Our assistants are questionable & Richardson not sure what his role is & why we got him??? Wasn’t Roos his mentor for 2 seasons ???

Edited by Hogan2014
  • Like 1