Who should our next coach be?

Pickett2Jackson

I have mentioned this before but the way footy is going i'd look at a football department re-structure, give the power to the GM of footy and hire the best tactical game day coach 

GM of footy - Alan Richardson - Tonnes of experience, understands footy, just not a good senior coach. 

Senior Coach - Adam Yze - Tactically brilliant, great apprenticeship under Clarko, history with Dees 

Backline Coach - Justin Leppach - responsible for the Tigers backline setup, if we could poach him it'd be huge. 

Midfield/Leadership - Michael Voss 

Forwards - Steve Johnson 

Culture/wellness - Brett Kirk 

Development - Mark Williams

• Like 2

Probably a bit too early in his coaching career but Sam Mitchell played his whole career under Clarko and will bring his own fresh ideas,we'd get him cheaper than Clarko,Lyon etc. to offset Goodwins payout and Cameron the Bruce and Yze as assistants and James Mcdonald to build our culture from the ground up.

How much did we pay Paul Roos? $1.2M a year?

Clarko would want at least that,if not more,on top of paying out Goodwin,won't happen especially in Soft Cap Covid times.

We offer Sam Mitchell $500k per year for first 2 years with performance based options for 3rd,4th,5th year.We can then afford to pay out Goodwin.

Mitch would not refuse this offer. 

Edited by Jack7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Got both teams to a grand Final and you gotta be in it to win it.

Ill take him and all his baggage!

But either team didn't win a flag anyway, and they haven't done much since. He hasn't left them a legacy. 

8 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I have mentioned this before but the way footy is going i'd look at a football department re-structure, give the power to the GM of footy and hire the best tactical game day coach 

GM of footy - Alan Richardson - Tonnes of experience, understands footy, just not a good senior coach. 

Senior Coach - Adam Yze - Tactically brilliant, great apprenticeship under Clarko, history with Dees 

Backline Coach - Justin Leppach - responsible for the Tigers backline setup, if we could poach him it'd be huge. 

Forwards - Steve Johnson 

Are you sort of suggesting a Football (soccer) style match day manager style?

I wouldn’t be against it for that matter. 

If we do end up saying bye bye to Goody I think we have to go with someone who has experience already. Voss is the only one of the younger brigade that comes to mind on that. Clarko for me would be the ideal get given his history with the club and he is the most successful of the current day coaches. But so much would be dependent on whether i) if the Hawks end his contract and ii) if he’d have any interest in coming to us. 

13 minutes ago, Jack7 said:

Probably a bit too early in his coaching career but Sam Mitchell played his whole career under Clarko and will bring his own fresh ideas,we'd get him cheaper than Clarko,Lyon etc. to offset Goodwins payout and Cameron the Bruce and Yze as assistants and James Mcdonald to build our culture from the ground up

Isn't he being groomed to take over from Clarkson? 

Best thread in a while. Let’s load up on new assistant coaches either way as we l probably promote the current lot to GM and list manager roles like we did Mahoney. Probably already have Chaplin a lock in a succession plan for that.

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

Are you sort of suggesting a Football (soccer) style match day manager style?

I wouldn’t be against it for that matter. 

If we do end up saying bye bye to Goody I think we have to go with someone who has experience already. Voss is the only one of the younger brigade that comes to mind on that. Clarko for me would be the ideal get given his history with the club and he is the most successful of the current day coaches. But so much would be dependent on whether i) if the Hawks end his contract and ii) if he’d have any interest in coming to us. 

Yeah exactly, but potentially more like the NBA, Richo would essentially take part of the senior coaching role on in terms of trading, drafting, and overseeing all of those things and you'd have a senior coach who effectively is just a match day coach/tactician. 

I think this works much better for modern football given the senior coaching role is so broad it's hard for them to really hire the right person because everyone is going to have strengths and weaknesses. 

would love Clarko, but i'm not sure how likely that is and for me it wouldn't change where i sit in terms of how the football department should look. 

for me Goodwin looks like a guy taking on way to much and not really sure where to start. 

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

for me Goodwin looks like a guy taking on way to much and not really sure where to start. 

This may sound silly but I feel like he played his one tactical brilliance with the players running out of the backline towards goal before the 6-6-6 rule came in. It’s like after that happened he didn’t have anything up his sleeve. Credit to Freo today, they have a style and they played it well. It’s drilled, whereas we just have no system. 

That has to come back to Goodwin and a lack of tactics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pates said:

This may sound silly but I feel like he played his one tactical brilliance with the players running out of the backline towards goal before the 6-6-6 rule came in. It’s like after that happened he didn’t have anything up his sleeve. Credit to Freo today, they have a style and they played it well. It’s drilled, whereas we just have no system. 

That has to come back to Goodwin and a lack of tactics. 

Absolutely. and i reckon Roosy would be filthy about that. he was always talking about Brand and System and Goody has pulled it apart every year he's had the role. 

28 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Forwards - Steve Johnson 

Really like this suggestion. However, I still think we must get an experienced senior coach in Alistair Clarkson.

Adem Yze can come across as an assistant as well as coach of of our VFL side the Casey Demons. This is because I still believe Adem Yze needs to coach a team of his own to have more experience.

We definitely need good football people to help with our leadership and culture. Those who are winners and know what it takes to win Premierships.

I would also look at getting Luke Hodge involved in a part-time role.

Basically, any former AFL players with Premiership experience and wish to be coaches should be considered.

Another priority is player development and that is why we need the best in the business in Mark "Choco" Williams. He is very keen to be involved with an AFL club again and would definitely jump at the chance of being involved with improving the Demons.

I also like the idea of of keeping Alan Richardson as director of coaching and to assist in a more consultative role. Let him have more of an opportunity to have an impact on the club seeing as Alan Richardson has only been here 1 season so far.

Finally we should look at Brad Scott as Football General Manager to take over from Josh Mahoney as he has had long enough and we need a fresh start.

I also want Garry Lyon and/or David Schwarz to be more involved with the Melbourne Football Club again. Jason Dunstall and Dermott Brereton have balanced club involvement with media roles. Why can't Garry Lyon or David Schwarz?

Basically, I want ruthless people involved at the club who demand high standards from all the players and want to constantly drive for success. 

In the end the Melbourne Football Club board needs to drive these changes and if they don't then we as members will replace them.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Darkhorse72 said:

Isn't he being groomed to take over from Clarkson? 

No,there is no succession plan in place and clubs will release a contracted assistant if a senior coaching position is offered.

12 minutes ago, olisik said:

Left field but I would try get Adam Goodes in as an assistant. [censored] some people up the wall but knows how to get a message across. 

Where would you get the idea he’d want to coach?! Goodes wants nothing to do with football and for a heartbreaking reason. Now you’re just being silly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GCDee said:

Clarko. He is trying to get him self sacked from the dawks... 

And he should be given a blank cheque book to bring in what ever assistant and line coaches he needs, because ours are absolutely [censored] house 

Just as long as we lock Clarko in a room at trade time!

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Yeah exactly, but potentially more like the NBA, Richo would essentially take part of the senior coaching role on in terms of trading, drafting, and overseeing all of those things and you'd have a senior coach who effectively is just a match day coach/tactician. 

I think this works much better for modern football given the senior coaching role is so broad it's hard for them to really hire the right person because everyone is going to have strengths and weaknesses. 

would love Clarko, but i'm not sure how likely that is and for me it wouldn't change where i sit in terms of how the football department should look. 

I don't mind the set up mate, but Richo's history with list management is pretty poor IMO. Ratten did more in one off season to fix their problems than Richo did in many years IMV. But I like him as the GM, I just wonder about that bit.

• Like 1