CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Nasher

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not many players really crunched their game against the Suns but each probably did enough to go round again.

Agree with this and would be surprised if there was any changes. These guys got the job done. More to the point we have nobody to replace last week's worst players. Melksham has been awful all year . There is nobody in the wings who can do what he does as well or better, no matter how badly Melksham plays. The hope is he comes good at some point. Sort of the same for May who let through his usual couple of easy goals+ but lost the plot so bad he had to be moved out of the backline to mitigate the liability. May seems to kick much better on the run. The more time May has to think about it the the worse his decisions and disposal is. May is not the right guy to do kick ins. I think Jetta has seen better days but he does bust a gut. He uses his experience well but I think his games are numbered. There will be games this year where others may be more help than Jetta is. If there is a forced change for TMac I would bring in Brown.

Hawks have played McEvoy at CHB this year. Definitely need some height in Forward line. Hope TMac gets up because if we bomb it long to only Weid (with McEvoy, Frost, Sicily and Frawley then game over. Need two talls to compete if TMac out (Brown? Jackson?) with 4 fast forwards - then have to do more low balls and run Hawks off their feet. VdB to smash Isaac Smith in first tackle so he can't run all day!

Edited by #11-TonyAnderson
Changed a word
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 5:41 PM, picket fence said:

Gawwwd it must be obvious to a lot of LANDERS but I'll say it again aqnd Simon I DO hope u are paying attention...

Before SMITH was crucified by keeping him on in a practice match at Casey in 2019 he was playing up forward and kicked about 4 goals with a bustedd Groin, Ok I'll say this he is a pure fly for it mark like his ol man, He does things on instinct, HE IS A FORWARD play him there with Weeds AND T Mac, drop Milkshake for a while and see what a Forward 6 of Harley, Smith, Fritschkrieg, The picket Fence MRK 2 T MAC and one other!!

Go on Goody U know it just might work!!

I agree. Clearly Smith needs to be tried as an x-factor forward. Time to put all the rogue talent up forward. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 11:48 AM, Fat Tony said:

My changes would be:

Jetta out for Jones.

TMac out if injured for Smith playing forward.

Harmes to play forward and Melksham at half back.

Lockhart OMcDonald Lever

Salem May Hibberd

Vandenberg Oliver Langdon

Harmes TMcDonald/Smith Bennell

Pickett Weideman Fritsch 

Jones Melksham Brayshaw Hannan

Smith in for tmac? must be joking, Smith will have as much impact as tmac did on the bench

• Like 1

I'm feeling bullish about our line-up, assuming TMac gets up and with Weid and OMac back in, we're looking similar to the line-up that played the Hawks in the 2018 finals, but I think our personnel is clearly improved:

In: May, Lever, Lockhart, Langdon, Bennell, Pickett
Out: Frost, Lewis, Jones, Tyson, ANB, Spargo

Clarkson is a great coach and will bring all his expertise.  He has a very experienced line-up - clearly second oldest and most experienced behind only Geelong - the Hawks believe they are in premiership-mode now.  It's going to be a great test.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 6

Apologies if I’ve missed it, has anyone heard anything about our scratch match against Sydney? 

I’ve only read we came out of it with no injury concerns, curious to see how many per side since we only had about 10-11 players available at the time. The Swans provided a report on their players after the solid hit-out.

Edited by Dee Zephyr

The media bashing of the Hawks needs to stop, nothing worse than an opponent who has copped it from all and sundry in the week leading up to their game 

• Like 6

Yep you can just see it cant you? A fired up Clarkson and Hawks hell bent on redemption. Just watch us revert back to old habits when put under pressure! I hope not!

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

I'm feeling bullish about our line-up, assuming TMac gets up and with Weid and OMac back in, we're looking similar to the line-up that played the Hawks in the 2018 finals, but I think our personnel is clearly improved:

In: May, Lever, Lockhart, Langdon, Bennell, Pickett
Out: Frost, Lewis, Jones, Tyson, ANB, Spargo

Clarkson is a great coach and will bring all his expertise.  He has a very experienced line-up - clearly second oldest and most experienced behind only Geelong - the Hawks believe they are in premiership-mode now.  It's going to be a great test.

TMac in doubt, didn't/couldn't train at the indoor session yesterday.

19 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

TMac in doubt, didn't/couldn't train at the indoor session yesterday.

If he doesn't get up I think we should play Brown. Like for like.

Unless they want to give Jackson another taste, which I'm not opposed to.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, DemonOX said:

You watch the Hawks play keepings off just like the cats did.

It will be very interesting to see if Goody react this time rather than not being prepared for it.

Big test this week.

Indeed. If Lockhart needs a rest I'd go with Rivers. In place of TMac I'd like to see us play Jackson who may be too mobile for their ageing backline. I think it would be a mistake to go for Brown who is exactly the sort of Forward their backs are used to dealing with. 

The mobile fwd line worked against the Suns - 10 goals in 3 quarters with only Weed up front.  I wonder if we are tempted to keep it small? If we bring in Brown and bomb it long Sicily, Frost, Frawley and McEvoy will carve us up.  We need to chip it around and run the ball

Now this will probably provoke a few but I don't think Cossi is earning his spot. As yet he has done little in a game. Not unexpected he is a kid who went from under 18's to senior football in one jump. Time to rest him IMO. 

• Like 2

Just now, old dee said:

Now this will probably provoke a few but I don't think Cossi is earning his spot. As yet he has done little in a game. Not unexpected he is a kid who went from under 18's to senior football in one jump. Time to rest him IMO. 

I'll take the bait.  He was directly involved in a number of our goals and seems to have the opposition a bit jittery with his pressure.

Sure he's not perfect - but it's his first season and he's playing one of the hardest positions to play.  He's definitely exceeding my expectations for a first year player in that role.  

Who would you bring in for him that will do any better?  Hunt?  Spargo?  ANB?  None of them can do what he does

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

I totally agree with your post however we need his creativity and speed in the forward line 

2 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

I'll take the bait.  He was directly involved in a number of our goals and seems to have the opposition a bit jittery with his pressure.

Sure he's not perfect - but it's his first season and he's playing one of the hardest positions to play.  He's definitely exceeding my expectations for a first year player in that role.  

Who would you bring in for him that will do any better?  Hunt?  Spargo?  ANB?  None of them can do what he does

For this week's game I would play ANB. And I wasn't setting a bait just interested in other people's views.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, old dee said:

What metrics are you looking at @old dee? Or is it also, just the eyesight test?

I think there was a lovely run down on the podcast last night (highly recommended listening) about the worth the Kossie brings, that is not necessarily stat based. As he has pace, liken it to perceived pressure that he brings where opponents need to offload the ball quicker... a la Aaron Davey. Aside from that (if you don't place value on it) - he had a number of direct score involvements, so again not stat based (ie: tap on to Fritsch, sheparding) but a bigger influence on the match than stats would lead you to believe.

Edited by Engorged Onion

6 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I totally agree with your post however we need his creativity and speed in the forward line 

Surely a small forward is supposed to kick goals and while he help others out kicking a goal each week himself makes the opposition  defence more accountable. 

Edited by old dee

14 minutes ago, old dee said:

OMG that just totally confirms my view that you are a terrible judge.  Kosi directly created Harmes, Fritsch and Bennell goals against GC. He is an absolute gun.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Fifty-5 said:

OMG that just totally confirms my view that you are a terrible judge.  Kosi directly created Harmes, Fritsch and Bennell goals against GC. He is an absolute gun.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And it's just a discussion no need get your knickers in a knot. Stay calm the world has a least another day to go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, old dee said:

Surely a small forward is supposed to kick goals and while he help others out kicking a goal each week himself makes the opposition  defence more accountable. 

That's definitely he's role, just think the goals will come for Kossi and none of the other small forwards on our list are any better, he speed alone makes defenders nervous.

In a normal year maybe you would develop him a few games in the 2s but not this season 

Edited by Rednblueriseing

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

For this week's game I would play ANB. And I wasn't setting a bait just interested in other people's views.

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

Surely a small forward is supposed to kick goals and while he help others out kicking a goal each week makes the opposition  defence more accountable. 

ANB is not a natural forward and has been very hit and miss when asked to play forward. Cozzi has more score involvements and adds defensive pressure to the forward half. Cozzi also knows where the goals are. In some games I have seen, ANB could not find the goals if he had a map. ANB' biggest natural talent is his endurance running and not as much help in the forward line as Cozzi's burst speed. Unfortunately ANB's run rarely ends in a goal. ANB's tackling is soft and his goal kicking is crap. 

2 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

That's definitely he's role, just think the goals will come for Kossi and none of the other small forwards on our list are any better, he speed alone makes defenders nervous.

In a normal year maybe you would develop him a few games in the 2s but not this season 

Yes that is a disaster In  2020. I see they played a 10 a side scratch match last weekend. God help them when a few injuries surface.