Melbourne vs Essendon Postponed

Just now, Bitter but optimistic said:

Well Saty, I would think postponing the game is a pretty clear statement.

Nah, @sue was talking about ALL the facts, rather than over emotive rantings, @Sir Why You Little has been stating McKenna trained today, that is INCORRECT 

(Trump style of posting, seems only thing some understand)

Assuming the worst, that he has it, and has infected his team mates, Dons are in quarantine for at least 14 days... so our game and their next two are in doubt, with no realistic way to make them up before finals.

only way I can see of making it work is to declare all these games cancelled and a “draw” in terms of points to the various clubs now involved. 
Frustrating for us, in terms of us trying to build momentum and form in this weird season. Twice now in three games have we been torpedoed by CoVID.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demonland said:

If this is true and he's not training entirely alone, but is with Essendon players which would imply club knowledge, Essendon should be in massive trouble.

WHOOPS - sorry, forgot what day it is.    Friday training  is OK if test was not concluded before training.

Edited by sue
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sue said:

If this is true and he's not training entirely alone, but is with Essendon players which would imply club knowledge, Essendon should be in massive trouble.

Sue it is my understanding that every player is tested weekly, I think 2 days before their game. If that is correct they would only have just received the information. I thought so he has been tested 5 times all negative.

Edited by old dee

3 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Assuming the worst, that he has it, and has infected his team mates, Dons are in quarantine for at least 14 days... so our game and their next two are in doubt, with no realistic way to make them up before finals.

only way I can see of making it work is to declare all these games cancelled and a “draw” in terms of points to the various clubs now involved. 
Frustrating for us, in terms of us trying to build momentum and form in this weird season. Twice now in three games have we been torpedoed by CoVID.

If it was the reverse it would happen PaulRB.

There's a lot of misreporting and speculation on here.

He trained yesterday but he hadn't returned the positive test yet. First one yesterday afternoon, second one this morning.

There's no evidence Essendon did anything wrong.

He didn't bring it back from overseas. There's no evidence he personally has done anything wrong. 

So what happens from here?

I suppose the best case scenario from here is Essendon goes into isolation, all of its players and staff test negative a number of times, no other club tests positive, and the comp continues with the infection being limited to just McKenna.

Frequent testing is the only thing keeping the comp going. If we test players frequently enough, we'll catch a positive test before they play another team, limiting the need to put people into isolation. Can we get through another 14.5 rounds plus finals like this? If the infection rate in Victoria is starting to rise again, you'd have to think it's going to be a tough ask.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Jaded said:

It’s very possible that it’s a false positive. If he’s tested negative first. The chances of a false positive when you’re doing so many tests are quite high. 

Given the reliability of these tests, the chances of 5 false negatives on the same person are as good as zero. Re a false positive, he's been tested a second time, and that's positive as well.

Edited by bing181

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Sue it is my understanding that every player is tested weekly, I think 2 days before their game. If that is correct they would only have just received the information. 

As I said, I mistook the Ch7 report to be about training after the Friday test result had come back.  We don't have full information.  If Essendon put him in isolation immediately after the 'weak +ve' test came back, then I don't think they are guilty of misbehaviour. 

Though it could be argued that if Essendon assumed all would be OK if the next (Sat) test was OK, Essendon was playing with fire.  It would be prudent to wait another week before letting him loose given the Friday result and the uncertainty in the testing.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Essendrug seem to run their own rules

If a player tests positive yesterday that should be enough to Quarantine them i would say. 
it’s what i would do

The MFC have to be firm on this, unless the season is done

It has already happened in NRL, player test positive, rest of team tested, come up negative,game played a day later, NRL season still going on, so it will be no different for AFL, season not even close to over, all Sydney players have tested negative, since everyone is tested midweek, and Connor did not play, stop jumping to conclusions, season going ahead, Rest have tested negative will be tested again before game is played, so no need for quarantine if no one else has it. That's. The biggest problem with the rules no common sense.

1 minute ago, Rocky Racoon said:

If Essendon cannot field a team in accordance with AFL requirements (ie no infections) then they should forfeit the match and the four points goes to Melbourne!

RR do you really think that will happen to Essendon. Us maybe them never.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rocky Racoon said:

If Essendon cannot field a team in accordance with AFL requirements (ie no infections) then they should forfeit the match and the four points goes to Melbourne!

It used to be called a walkover. Take the four points and move on.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, dl4e said:

I don't know why they still have it. I am just going on from " reports " I have seen that this virus can lie undetected in your system. Again for how long we don't know.

Not if you're being tested, and tested on multiple occasions.

And it's disingenuous to suggest "we don't know". We do know, which is what all these protocols for isolation etc. etc. are based on.

9 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

There's a lot of misreporting and speculation on here.

He trained yesterday but he hadn't returned the positive test yet. First one yesterday afternoon, second one this morning.

There's no evidence Essendon did anything wrong.

He didn't bring it back from overseas. There's no evidence he personally has done anything wrong. 

So what happens from here?

I suppose the best case scenario from here is Essendon goes into isolation, all of its players and staff test negative a number of times, no other club tests positive, and the comp continues with the infection being limited to just McKenna.

Frequent testing is the only thing keeping the comp going. If we test players frequently enough, we'll catch a positive test before they play another team, limiting the need to put people into isolation. Can we get through another 14.5 rounds plus finals like this? If the infection rate in Victoria is starting to rise again, you'd have to think it's going to be a tough ask.

Not if all teams are isolated within their hubs and protocol is followed to the letter TU

• Like 1