TEAMS: Rd 01 vs West Coast

Demonland

Tall backs. May Lever Omcd Hore(int)

small backs. Jetta. Hibberd Lockhart (int)

mids. Oliver Petracca Viney Harmes Langdon Tomlinson Brayshaw 
ruck. Gawn 

tall fwds Tmcd Weid Fritsch

small Fwds. Melksham Pickett Bedford Anb (int)

emerg. Jackson Brown Spargo Sparrow 

Unavailable injured. Salem Jones Hannan Jsmith Petty Preuss Vandenburg 

• Like 1

Missing Salem, Jones, and AvB. Sucks but they are can be covered, we've had a strong pre-season and early goals can build confidence. It looks like we're going for a smaller forward line compared with the past with Bedford, Kozzie, and Spargo in there along with mid-sized forwards Melksham and Fritch.

For me those last two could be the key to our forward line, either one of them getting lose could force the Ealges to move their better defenders onto them freeing up TMac and Weid. Getting the ball to ground has never been more important with our smalls around the ball and I really hope the coaching staff show them the clip of Riewoldt tonight spoiling the ball into a dangerous area. To make life hard for their forwards, but as always a lot depends of our midfield putting in strong second efforts to make it hard for them to deliver with time and space.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I know I wouldnt say anything about a certain player so I won't

But HTF a slow,no skilled player,that plods gets a game and others with REAL TALENT miss out is perplexing! To say the least.

We will go nowhere whilst he is in the team IMV

coaches pets Pickett.....& he's got a few!

It looks like a strong side on paper. Jones hurts a bit but we can cover him. I like the 3 small forwards we had none last year it will be interesting to see how Spargo, Pickett and Bedford gel together. As people have said I expect Lockhart and Weid to get the last 2 spots considering they already announced Pickett and Bedford will debut.

It will be tough match but I think we can get over the top of them with our new recruits Tomlinson, Langdon, Pickett and Bedford plus the improving Petracca. The Dees by 6 points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

ruck. Gawn 

Spargo is named in the 18. Hore won't play.

3 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

I remember the first night game we had against WC last year over there. From memory we were really undermanned and went over with a smaller side. I remember thinking we looked unrecognizable for three quarters, we took the game on literally every time running the ball through the corridor with link handball (also forward handball from contests) and we really had them for three quarters. But we tired and their experience wore us down late.

Will be interesting to see if we take some things from that game into this one with the small lineup. Fitter and quicker then last year.

Tired experience wore us down please try the umpires and the crowd after didgeridoos being played on the roof at 3 quarter time when we should have been 8 goals up at 3 quarter time - if we attack run and take our chances we will win by 8 goals plus - Go Dees

13 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Surprised me. Bedford and Pickett are the small forward combo. Where is Spargo pegged in to play. Certainly not the midfield. 

If you bothered to listen, Tommy Mc said Spargo is one the best kicks, kicking into the 50

So he will be link between mids and fwds

• Like 2

2 hours ago, binman said:

Are you for real? Was a completely reasonable comment from RBG.

Not for the first time you are well out of order.

Not for the first time, mind your own business, and let the mods handle it

His comment, in my opinion, was out of order, the Club has done an excellent job in providing information under the circumstances

Why blare the noise about AVB, imagine how he is feeling now

Edited by Satyriconhome

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

I know I wouldnt say anything about a certain player so I won't

But HTF a slow,no skilled player,that plods gets a game and others with REAL TALENT miss out is perplexing! To say the least.

We will go nowhere whilst he is in the team IMV

Because you have no idea what role Goodwin wants him to play and unlike you Goodwin obviously thinks he can play that role

It's like on here, some posters profess to know a lot about footy and then proceed to show they don't, in my opinion of course

They excel at trollng though to compensate

2 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

His comment, in my opinion, was out of order, the Club has done an excellent job in providing information under the circumstances

Out of order, really?

I don't think I'm normally one to endlessly chip the club, our players, coach or other posters on this forum.

I said it was poor, which I understood could be interpreted as being overly critically of the club.  But I think if you read that in the context of my post, you would see that it's was as much about frustration with the general situation at the moment.  As an asides and a bit of constructive feedack for the club that asides from the Daisy Pearce Comeback and the To Hell and Back Segments (which have been excelent) their website has been a bit of a mess for the past few months and the frequency with which it has been update has been a bit disappointing compared to what it was previously, even prior to the whole COVID thing.  Perhaps that came through in my post a bit as well.

These are stressful times for some and we all need to be a little kinder to one another.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 8

Not more foot injuries?

Are we a research  vehicle for New Balance?

Perhaps we should just try and get a style that helps forwards kick straight.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

ruck. Gawn 

Emergencies for when we're Running on Empty.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

When you insult or denigrate fellow posters on a public forum it becomes everyone's business. And i reserve the right to call it out.

If yoy want to insult or denigrate a poster and don't want to make it everyone's business PM them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, binman said:

Are you for real? Was a completely reasonable comment from RBG.

Not for the first time you are well out of order.

I'll say it again - the bloke is out of his depth when it isn't a training report.  He's proven it time and time again.

• Like 2

Small forwards are a good selection given their tall backs, but the one problem with that is, we will struggle to compete in the air.

So that means not bombing the ball in time and time again which we all know has been a problem. If we can have two talls down there permanently to bring the ball to ground then their talls can't just mark every entry and the little blokes can get to work. I hope this is the plan anyway.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

If you bothered to listen, Tommy Mc said Spargo is one the best kicks, kicking into the 50

So he will be link between mids and fwds

Yes if your kicking from 55 and someone is marking it at 40 meters out from goal.

• Like 1

I think people need to accept the reality that Spargo is going to get a lot of games this year. He tackle, harrasses, and links up well between mid and forward. His Marsh series was actually quite. I would have ahead ANB who is as sloppy as they come, and plays wet weather football every week.

Weideman and Lockhart get the last 2 gigs. In fact, i would be immensely surprised if Lockhart misses out.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, HBDee said:

Small forwards are a good selection given their tall backs, but the one problem with that is, we will struggle to compete in the air.

So that means not bombing the ball in time and time again which we all know has been a problem. If we can have two talls down there permanently to bring the ball to ground then their talls can't just mark every entry and the little blokes can get to work. I hope this is the plan anyway.

It's a good point, and one I'm slightly worried about.  We love the long bomb inside 50, but we need to be bringing the ball to ground at the very least.  The Eagles are superb at picking the ball off and then turning defence into attack.  If we're to be any chance of winning this game then we need to be smart with our use inside 50, otherwise we're in a bit of strife.

• Like 1

Weideman under the microscope. You can't keep getting a game just because you can give someone a chop out in the ruck. Having said that I hope he has a great game, takes several marks and kicks a few goals,not holding my breath though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

I reckon we can win this one with all the factors in our favour No Crowd, Fitter than last year by a country mile, full compliment of player except Salem, Strong back 6, Mobile Fwd line, Experienced strong running Wingmen.

Carn the Dees.

AND.....we were dead stiff not to beat them twice last season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think people need to accept the reality that Spargo is going to get a lot of games this year. He tackle, harrasses, and links up well between mid and forward. His Marsh series was actually quite. I would have ahead ANB who is as sloppy as they come, and plays wet weather football every week.

Weideman and Lockhart get the last 2 gigs. In fact, i would be immensely surprised if Lockhart misses out.

Spargo is good enough to mind someone else's spot. I can't see him holding his place if Jones, Salem, Hannan, Bennell or AVB are available. Spargo does his job OK but all these others do what they do better than him. I think Lockhart and Brown should get the last spots. 

Edited by Mental Demons

I need to watch Spargo with a less subjective eye. I find it difficult to understand why he is in front of Lockhart. But Im really glad we bat so deep this year.

Will we miss Salem greatly or is he just a handy player at best who is probably our best kick over a short distance?

Jones will be missed if his Marsh Series was anything to go by. Looked like he turned the clock back 3 or so years.

I thought Spargo was OK in the Marsh Series and praccy match V North. Not as upset as others he got a gig.

A bit baffled ANB got an automatic ticket into the 18. Played 1 good quarter and 7 average to woeful ones in the 2 Marsh games. His skill level seems to be going backwards by the year.