State of Origin Game

Demonland

7 minutes ago, sue said:

Even good players play worse when Under pressure

I'm not wrong ... this is the type of footy that I prefer to watch.

Fast,  highly skilled,  open football and not congested.  As the sport once was.  Clean ball movement with very few unforced errors.

What's not to like?

I'm also a big fan of Ice Hockey,  Soccer,  NFL,  Rugby League,  Union,  Baseball,  NBA and nearly every Olympic sport.

Each to their own hey?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

The “Mexican wave” wave on the crowd says otherwise to me but each to there own. 
As I said from a skill level stand point I’ve loved it, it has no intensity which totally detracts from the game, it’s a fundraiser.

Footy fans engaging in a Mexican wave ... says it all really,  doesn't it.

They haven't got a dog in the fight but you've got to wonder why the 'wavers' bothered to go to the game. 

It's simple Cards,  if you don't like it,  don't watch.  It's what I do. 

All sports are the same,  the higher the skills,  the less perceived intensity.  Soccer can be like that and many League State of Origin games can look a bit tame because of the skills.

And what about the high scoring NFL encounters? 

15 minutes ago, Macca said:

Footy fans engaging in a Mexican wave ... says it all really,  doesn't it.

They haven't got a dog in the fight but you've got to wonder why the 'wavers' bothered to go to the game. 

It's simple Cards,  if you don't like it,  don't watch.  It's what I do. 

All sports are the same,  the higher the skills,  the less perceived intensity.  Soccer can be like that and many League State of Origin games can look a bit tame because of the skills.

And what about the high scoring NFL encounters? 

I love my ice hockey (Avs) and I’ve been watching ch9 since half time. The T20 World Cup has more intensity.

The standard has been great, and it wets the appetite to see the best play the best each year in some format. BUT there has to be something to play for if it’s going to be truly gripping viewing. Representing the all stars doesn’t cut it, so I can’t see any real way to make it work. It’s been a good night though as a one off fundraiser.

2 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

I love my ice hockey (Avs) and I’ve been watching ch9 since half time. The T20 World Cup has more intensity.

Each to their own Cards

There is no legislation on what anyone can like or dislike (sports,  politics,  religion,  whatever)

Vics 15 points in front - go Victoria! 

Got reno's happening at home and no fox tonight and next few days so tried to get updates on AFL site. That would have to be the worst website I have come across. Hard to get the scores unless your a Telstra client let alone watch it on the comp. At least I saw the game against North via web.. Listening through internet on radio now. AFL are clueless on supporters needs.

• Like 3

All Stars?

That mob needs a new name (minus the Stars bit)

Victoria is the superior football state (by far) and that fact was one of the reasons State footy died out.

We (the Vics) even used to try and even the score by restricting the rep numbers to 2 per team.

And we'd still brain 'em.

And Demon players have a proud history in State footy (esp Flower,  Hardeman,  Wells & Alves from the 70's)

Only Jetta tonight though.  If the game had have happened last year we might have had 5 or 6 representatives. 

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

All Stars?

That mob needs a new name (minus the Stars bit)

Victoria is the superior football state (by far) and that fact was one of the reasons State footy died out.

We (the Vics) even used to try and even the score by restricting the rep numbers to 2 per team.

And we'd still brain 'em.

And Demon players have a proud history in State footy (esp Flower,  Hardeman,  Wells & Alves from the 70's)

Only Jetta tonight though.  If the game had have happened last year we might have had 5 or 6 representatives. 

Lol you've probably showed more intensity in your posts than any of the players. I didn't enjoy any of the free flowing stuff. Once a player got free it was an easy goal. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, sue said:

While I too like an open game, I suspect we'd have seen a much less skilful game if the winning side shared in $500 million. 

Games like this will always be open games because they barely train together before the game, they all come from different clubs and styles and are not training for a particular style of play let alone a type of defence for it not to be a free for all.

Just now, Deefiant said:

Lol you've probably showed more intensity in your posts than any of the players. I didn't enjoy any of the free flowing stuff. Once a player got free it was an easy goal. 

Well I loved it and I'd love it if footy was played as it was tonight

Instead of that we usually get scramble ball with 30 players on the ball = an unholy mess.  Garbage to my eyes.  Many ex players don't care for it either.

And I rarely watch it so can't be accused of not putting my money where my mouth is.

But tonight was footy as it should be played. 

I reckon people are so used to watching footy in such a congested style that they've forgotten how skilful the game can be.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well I loved it and I'd love it if footy was played as it was tonight

Instead of that we usually get scramble ball with 30 players on the ball = an unholy mess.  Garbage to my eyes.  Many ex players don't care for it either.

And I rarely watch it so can't be accused of not putting my money where my mouth is.

But tonight was footy as it should be played. 

I reckon people are so used to watching footy in such a congested style that they've forgotten how skilful the game can be.

I must admit to not being overly interested 'Macca'...watched a little bit and there were some nice skills etc.

...but there was no skin in the game & to me that takes the interest out.

Happy that you enjoyed it 'Macca', not being condescending either.

I do like the idea of a skilful open game (much better than the inferior brand of rugby we sometimes get) but would just rather it was true state of origin.

Put some real interest in it.

Make it a real contest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rjay said:

I must admit to not being overly interested 'Macca'...watched a little bit and there were some nice skills etc.

...but there was no skin in the game & to me that takes the interest out.

Happy that you enjoyed it 'Macca', not being condescending either.

I do like the idea of a skilful open game (much better than the inferior brand of rugby we sometimes get) but would just rather it was true state of origin.

Put some real interest in it.

Make it a real contest.

I agree in part rjay but even though I'm a super-fan of State footy I can't really see a future for the concept.  I went to the 2008 game and once that Mexican wave happened in that game I knew it was doomed.  And it was a close finish too ... no dog in the fight see.

As stated in an earlier post it needs a worthy cause for starters but that's not enough.

It was on the nose from about the mid 80's onwards coinciding with the sport becoming more professional and with the advent of the interstate teams.

For whatever reason the clubs don't want it and therefore the fans don't want it (we're extremely tribal to our teams etc etc) The signs were there in the 70's too as the big clubs back then didn't really want to risk their players (thus the 2 players per club rule?)

Injuries are the biggest fear for fans alike. 

No such thinking up North though as State of Origin is arguably bigger than the NRL Grand Final ... the thinking is completely different.  A stark difference ... like chalk & cheese.

And that makes me quite envious because even though I'm quite critical of the way AFL is played these days I desperately want it to be the clear No.1 sport in this Country.  

Anyway,  it was great to cheer home my team tonight and yes,  I really am a Vic fan.  All the way back to when Ross Dillon was CHF for the Vics in the late 60's. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Got reno's happening at home and no fox tonight and next few days so tried to get updates on AFL site. That would have to be the worst website I have come across. Hard to get the scores unless your a Telstra client let alone watch it on the comp. At least I saw the game against North via web.. Listening through internet on radio now. AFL are clueless on supporters needs.

The website was ok last year., for AFL and Telstra standards anyway.

I dont know what the hell they did to it this year, but it is indeed the worst website going around.   Its like they are purposely trying to drive away fans.

They have removed the live scores ticker from the main page which just defies belief.  To get to the game coverage/stats you have to click the fixtures, then click Marsh series then find the game.

There was about 10 menu options last season,  was easy to  find everything.  Now theres 4 or 5.

Just woeful.

Edited by JakovichScissorKick
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

I dont know what the hell they did to it this year, but it is indeed the worst website going around.   Its like they are purposely trying to drive away fans.

They have removed the live scores ticker from the main page which just defies belief.  To get to the game coverage/stats you have to click the fixtures, then click Marsh series then find the game.

There was about 10 menu options last season,  was easy to  find everything.  Now theres 4 or 5.

Just woeful.

They've also taken away the search function so you cannot find old articles or other information. 

1 hour ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Just woeful.

In october last year the AFL cut their whole website dev team and outsourced it. Which is why right after the team had got the new site up and running last year, it got scrapped and replaced by the current horse [censored]. The outsourced company didnt want to maintain a custom built site, so they've just put in one of their own website templates.

8 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

In october last year the AFL cut their whole website dev team and outsourced it. Which is why right after the team had got the new site up and running last year, it got scrapped and replaced by the current horse [censored]. The outsourced company didnt want to maintain a custom built site, so they've just put in one of their own website templates.

Go figure!!

14 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

I dont know what the hell they did to it this year, but it is indeed the worst website going around. 

It's Telstar, say no more.  A poor excuse,  just like AusPost's non tracking.  The tracking you get when you do not need any tracking.   They are brilliant at giving out no information after you've payed for it.

Bring back the old 'PMG'.

• Haha 1