Training Ground?

Romey

2 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

They worked out a very nice compromise. No trees removed, but the ground is much larger, in an attractive "kidney" shape. It's a little non-traditional, but should really help with unpredictable ball movement and give the boys a considerable advantage in matches.

Nice, Lever could probably do with an extra kidney after our next GF replay celebration 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mo64 said:

The thought of an inner suburban council removing trees is inconceivable. You'd have to get the bolt cutters out first to cut the chains off the protesters.

Dan Andrews had 220 elm trees cut down in ST Kilda Road to build his new train station.

Not a peep from the hypocrite greenies or inner city activists. Pretty sure there would be total outrage if a different flavoured government was in power....

• Like 1
  • Love 5
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Its Time for Back to Back said:

Earl can you tell how they have been able to increase the size of the oval. Have they removed trees or have they just moved the old fence 

Doesn’t look like they had to remove any mature trees that I can see although I haven’t had a look at the Punt Rd side. 

• Thanks 2

Apparently the Victorian government is seriously looking at hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026. Without delving into the merits of holding those games, I wonder if there is any way development of our home base can be incorporated in some way into that project?

I understand the Government is keen for it to be a whole of Victoria bid, rather than primarily just Melbourne, but some shiny new things will surely be needed in inner Melbourne.     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Apparently the Victorian government is seriously looking at hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2026. Without delving into the merits of holding those games, I wonder if there is any way development of our home base can be incorporated in some way into that project?

I understand the Government is keen for it to be a whole of Victoria bid, rather than primarily just Melbourne, but some shiny new things will surely be needed in inner Melbourne.     

As i have thought for some time I will be ashes by the time the new  facility is built.

• Sad 1

On 2/2/2022 at 4:58 PM, Earl Hood said:

Doesn’t look like they had to remove any mature trees that I can see although I haven’t had a look at the Punt Rd side. 

Didn't look to have changed much when I drove along Punt yesterday. Maybe trees will overhang, à la the Traeger Park gum?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

A new facility at Fishermans Bend.

Although from reports its likely to be Fsh Creek.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

All I ask is that we maintain the rage about this vital matter.

We MUST have a Home Training Base built for the Melbourne Football Club. No compromises here.

While we finally broke our Premiership drought after 57 years of pain. One of the fundamental reasons as to why we didn't win a Premiership sooner is not having a Home Training Base in my opinion.

We have been football nomads. Occasionally allowed to train on the MCG but dependent on the MCC's good graces. Training at all different places until we got a 30 year lease at the St. Kilda Saints old Home Ground at Junction Oval.

While we can historically look at the fact that the MCG is our spiritual home. The MCC could of definitely done more for us. Norm Smith knew that the Melbourne Demons had a huge advantage when we were the only tenants at the MCG. All that changed in 1965 onwards when Richmond and then others were made tenants. Nowadays you could almost say that the MCG is a "neutral venue" when two big Victorian clubs (e.g. Collingwood Vs Richmond) are playing eachother at the MCG.

We have had so many missed opportunities to have had a permanent training base built close to the MCG over the decades too. You could even go as far back as the East Melbourne Cricket ground being shut down and not logically moved to near Jolimont after 1922. Then you had the chance to build another ground during or after WW2 when the Melbourne Demons had to share Punt Road Oval with the Richmond Tigers. Then after the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 you had a prime opportunity to build something at Olympic Park. Then again in the early 2000s we had another chance to move into Olympic Park but unfortunately Eddie McGuire (who coincidentally was on the Olympic Park Trust Board!) and the Collingwood Magpies swooped in.

We now need to take our chances and get something bloody built! If it means that we as MFC members need to help fund it then so be it. Just get it done! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

All I ask is that we maintain the rage about this vital matter.

We MUST have a Home Training Base built for the Melbourne Football Club. No compromises here.

While we finally broke our Premiership drought after 57 years of pain. One of the fundamental reasons as to why we didn't win a Premiership sooner is not having a Home Training Base in my opinion.

We have been football nomads. Occasionally allowed to train on the MCG but dependent on the MCC's good graces. Training at all different places until we got a 30 year lease at the St. Kilda Saints old Home Ground at Junction Oval.

While we can historically look at the fact that the MCG is our spiritual home. The MCC could of definitely done more for us. Norm Smith knew that the Melbourne Demons had a huge advantage when we were the only tenants at the MCG. All that changed in 1965 onwards when Richmond and then others were made tenants. Nowadays you could almost say that the MCG is a "neutral venue" when two big Victorian clubs (e.g. Collingwood Vs Richmond) are playing eachother at the MCG.

We have had so many missed opportunities to have had a permanent training base built close to the MCG over the decades too. You could even go as far back as the East Melbourne Cricket ground being shut down and not logically moved to near Jolimont after 1922. Then you had the chance to build another ground during or after WW2 when the Melbourne Demons had to share Punt Road Oval with the Richmond Tigers. Then after the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 you had a prime opportunity to build something at Olympic Park. Then again in the early 2000s we had another chance to move into Olympic Park but unfortunately Eddie McGuire (who coincidentally was on the Olympic Park Trust Board!) and the Collingwood Magpies swooped in.

We now need to take our chances and get something bloody built! If it means that we as MFC members need to help fund it then so be it. Just get it done! 

The main reason it took 57 years to win a flag was not the training facilities IMO. It was that we had poor administrations and more importantly not enough players capable of playing at a level that wins flags. We won our first flag in 57 years from training at Casey the majority of the year. The training venue is important but what is more important is the players and administrators, we have the goods in those  areas at present and are probably Favourites again in 2022.  If it takes another ten years to resolve a central training facilities so be it. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

From The Guardian.. fingers crossed there are some events to be held in Melbs that needs an awesome brand spanking new facility built...  

Victoria bids for 2026 Commonwealth Games

Benita Kolovos

The Victorian government has entered exclusive negotiations to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

The premier, Daniel Andrews, on Wednesday announced the state government would spend the next couple months working with the Commonwealth Games Federation to assess the viability of hosting the event. He said:

We are the sporting capital of our nation. We have all that is needed to make an event like this fantastic success for us and for everybody, right across the commonwealth.

While the 2006 games were held in Melbourne, Andrews wants the 2026 event to be held across regional Victoria:

It’s not just about rerunning what was done back in 2006, our vision is for this to be predominantly a regional Victorian space. It’s about taking this amazing competition across many different sports into regional cities and towns.

25 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

From The Guardian.. fingers crossed there are some events to be held in Melbs that needs an awesome brand spanking new facility built...  

Benita Kolovos

The Victorian government has entered exclusive negotiations to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

The premier, Daniel Andrews, on Wednesday announced the state government would spend the next couple months working with the Commonwealth Games Federation to assess the viability of hosting the event. He said:

We are the sporting capital of our nation. We have all that is needed to make an event like this fantastic success for us and for everybody, right across the commonwealth.

While the 2006 games were held in Melbourne, Andrews wants the 2026 event to be held across regional Victoria:

It’s not just about rerunning what was done back in 2006, our vision is for this to be predominantly a regional Victorian space. It’s about taking this amazing competition across many different sports into regional cities and towns.

Knowing our luck we'll get a nice, new home base in Warrnambool.

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Benita Kolovos

They won’t be building anything near the MCG for this irrelevent Sporting Carnival 

It should go to Tasmania 

• Like 2

Hey it's a great opportunity to spread the economic benefits to regional areas. It results in improved facilities to develop the next Trac, Oliver etc.

Not opposed to Tassie for same reasons but regional Vic has been smashed with fires, floods, pandemic and these events support tourism .

This activity still funnels through and highlights Melbourne while stimulating interest in the regional delights. Just make sure all regions are recognised and no colour coded rooting. Wait. Perhaps we can use all the upgraded gun clubs etc

Go for it Dan

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dpositive said:

Hey it's a great opportunity to spread the economic benefits to regional areas. It results in improved facilities to develop the next Trac, Oliver etc.

Not opposed to Tassie for same reasons but regional Vic has been smashed with fires, floods, pandemic and these events support tourism .

This activity still funnels through and highlights Melbourne while stimulating interest in the regional delights. Just make sure all regions are recognised and no colour coded rooting. Wait. Perhaps we can use all the upgraded gun clubs etc

Go for it Dan

I'm not against holding events in regional centres where existing facilities exist, but let's not build some monstrosity of a facility that's rarely used by the general public. I'm talking about the baseball centre in Laverton and the harness racing facility in Melton.

There's no reason why regional centres can't hold events such as lawn bowls, T20 cricket, cycling (road race, time trial, mountain bike), but we have existing facilities within the CBD precinct to hold all the other events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I'm not against holding events in regional centres where existing facilities exist, but let's not build some monstrosity of a facility that's rarely used by the general public. I'm talking about the baseball centre in Laverton and the harness racing facility in Melton.

There's no reason why regional centres can't hold events such as lawn bowls, T20 cricket, cycling (road race, time trial, mountain bike), but we have existing facilities within the CBD precinct to hold all the other events.

True there are some monstrosities in CBD also.

No need for duplication .

But build for potential return as Andrews has suggested.

Regional facilities can allow utilisation for improved development within and across regions.

3 hours ago, mo64 said:

I'm just contemplating the idea of harness racing as a Commonwealth Games event.

Yeah, nah.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, mo64 said:

Looking at the list of sports for 2018 and 2022 there's plenty of events that are held without stadiums or can be set up in any decent multi purpose venue.

I'd imagine athletics gets held in Geelong as the centre piece.

Any investments for netball and basketball are good for the communities as long as they don't build far too much seating.

The big ones are probably Aquatics and track Cycling. I'm not sure we even have a permanent velodrome in Victoria, I guess the one for the 2006 is packed away somewhere and might be used elsewhere?

And it sounds like a country town (or Geelong) is going to end up with a 50m swimming pool with a big grand stand.

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Looking at the list of sports for 2018 and 2022 there's plenty of events that are held without stadiums or can be set up in any decent multi purpose venue.

I'd imagine athletics gets held in Geelong as the centre piece.

Any investments for netball and basketball are good for the communities as long as they don't build far too much seating.

The big ones are probably Aquatics and track Cycling. I'm not sure we even have a permanent velodrome in Victoria, I guess the one for the 2006 is packed away somewhere and might be used elsewhere?

And it sounds like a country town (or Geelong) is going to end up with a 50m swimming pool with a big grand stand.

I think a velodrome was temporarily housed in what's now called John Cain Arena (previously known as Hisense Arena) at the tennis centre complex.

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I think a velodrome was temporarily housed in what's now called John Cain Arena (previously known as Hisense Arena) at the tennis centre complex.

Does stay there hidden under the seats or can it be dismantled and assembled elsewhere?

I'd love them to use one of the asphalt velodromes around a country footy oval. The one at Wangaratta would be perfect. Something tells me that won't be happening.

Rowing n Nagambie, Sailing at Lakes Entrance or Yarrawonga,

Horsham Ballarat, Bendigo, Shepparton, Wangaratta, Wodnga, Bairnsdale, Gippsland all regional centres that would become me a centre of excellence for a specific sport. No need for duplication and promote movement with careful scheduling. Country folklove live sports and will provide a great base audience.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, mauriesy said:

No need for soil, sand is the growing medium. That's the standard for things like golf greens.

You can seed directly into the sand but it can take a few months to grow. For quicker results lay instant turf, although it's far more expensive.

…. and maybe less stable??  We do not want anything like Ox at that awful surface outside Junction Oval.