• Podcast:      

Demonland

State of Origin for Bushfire Appeal

I can't see how the logistics of this would work.

They'd raise much more money if they dedicated Round 1 to bushfire relief.

The places devastated by fire are going to need money and support for months, if not years to come.  There's no need to rush an event of this scale.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I can't see how the logistics of this would work.

They'd raise much more money if they dedicated Round 1 to bushfire relief.

The places devastated by fire are going to need money and support for months, if not years to come.  There's no need to rush an event of this scale.

This isn't the only thing they're doing.

16 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

The AFL has already made a statement saying they will be looking at ways to support communities long term. They also mentioned they're engaging their corporate partners and engaging with the relevant bodies to determine how else they can help. The SOO game is just one thing they're looking at doing among many. Why do people automatically think this is all that has happened and will happen? It's not cutting cynicism, it's just chest-beating naivety of a kind.

Many AFL players, clubs, officials and corporate bodies have already donated. Many more wouldn't have been publicly known to.

The other part of it that has been publicly spoken about, and maybe you guys just missed it in your rush to be edgy, is the acknowledgment of all who have worked so hard through the disasters so far. That would be a key part of this game should it go ahead.

And as far as injuries go, the proposed date is the same as the second week of the preseason comp, so the very same players would be having the very same competitive hitouts anyway.

Honestly, the automatic boohoo responses here are embarrassing sometimes.

You make some very good points. I was initially against the idea, but if the proposed game replaces a pre-season game for the players involved, the injury risk factor - which was my only concern - is neutralised.

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

You make some very good points. I was initially against the idea, but if the proposed game replaces a pre-season game for the players involved, the injury risk factor - which was my only concern - is neutralised.

If the media announcements so far today are correct then it's going to be played on the 28th Feb, which is the same date as round 2 of the preseason comp I believe. So Gawn (likely our only representation) will just be running around with different players but still doing the same things.

🔹 VIC vs All Stars
🔹 Hardwick will coach VICs, Longmire will coach All Stars
🔹 Max of 3 players per club 
🔹 AFL, AFLPA and clubs have donated $2.5m

• Like 1

Maybe you could donate to keep your player out?  For example, if we reached 100k, Max Gawn Stands out for the next best, and so on?  I reckon supporters would dig deep to keep their players out of this time waster.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Maybe you could donate to keep your player out?  For example, if we reached 100k, Max Gawn Stands out for the next best, and so on?  I reckon supporters would dig deep to keep their players out of this time waster.

lol.......points for lateral thinking

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Pates said:

Crazy as this sounds if they were to go ahead with a match I think this is one rare instance I would support them going the path of AFLX. Only because it appears to be less impact on the body, less players and I think you could make it into a carnival style atmosphere. A state of origin round robin AFLX would (I feel) minimise the risk of injuries to players and could be billed as a bit of fun.

Personally though I would prefer them going down the path of doing a telethon with them pledging to match dollar for dollar.

They effectively killed the AFLX format last year with the ridiculous format and promo style. A pity because as you say a cause like this could have been an excellent opportunity to promote and legitimize the format in the minds of the public.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Clint Buzzkill said:

I'm all for it, but it should be Victoria versus South Australia and Western Australia versus and Allies team (which isn't perfect but better than All Stars).

SA v Vic (Mcg),  and WA v Allies in Perth,  winners to play off Mid-season at the 'G', for total honors. 

All proceeds for those who lost their homes, to rebuild.

So many lost everything.

5 hours ago, deebug said:

I hope clubs don't agree to this?

I'm all for helping, but we can not risk players.

Try telling the players they cannot play, for this occasion.

• Like 1

So we play 6 days prior (Crows at Casey) and 1 week after (Hawks in Launceston).

Our players picked to play in this - which is probably only going to be 2 in Gawn and Oliver - might skip or play a half in first preseason game and then be fine to play in our final hit out. 

Gawn gets some work in against Grundy at a lesser intensity. Oliver and any other mids gets a look at the best. 

Preuss, Jackson, key forwards get to push their case for round 1 and more game time for the young mids too. 

Don’t mind it from a football perspective. Whether it will be a game worth watching and good for charity is another discussion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

If the media announcements so far today are correct then it's going to be played on the 28th Feb, which is the same date as round 2 of the preseason comp I believe. So Gawn (likely our only representation) will just be running around with different players but still doing the same things.

That's why it's not the same thing.

After season 2019 we need to coordinate our game a lot better.

Playing a couple of games with teammates would seem a much better preparation for us than one or two of our key players playing a 'Micky Mouse' game.

• Like 1

I’m not at all enthused or “ patriotic” about Victoria and the big v 

who gives a fig 

its a great State but beating another state so what

is parochialism alive and well

18 minutes ago, dino rover said:

I’m not at all enthused or “ patriotic” about Victoria and the big v 

who gives a fig 

its a great State but beating another state so what

is parochialism alive and well

I think people who have been wanting a return of ‘State of Origin’ will be disappointed.  This will be a fundraising exhibition match and will almost be in bad taste for the players to take it too seriously.

Hopefully raises a lot of much needed funds, but don’t expect there to be much action on field.

1 hour ago, rjay said:

That's why it's not the same thing.

After season 2019 we need to coordinate our game a lot better.

Playing a couple of games with teammates would seem a much better preparation for us than one or two of our key players playing a 'Micky Mouse' game.

I see what you're saying, but I reckon Gawn has played enough with our blokes and is hardly going to fall behind in connection by missing 1 game. Plus, he may get some insights from players from successful clubs.

The point I was making was about all those complaining about the injury risk, which is absolutely no different.

Pity it is not against SA or WA

The all Stars just doesn’t do it for me. 

i have donated and will again and again

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, McQueen said:

Trotting out Gawn, Oliver and May for a non-points contest doesn't really peel the skin from my banana but the cause is much greater than all of our collective concerns to be fair.

Nicely posited, and true.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

I see what you're saying, but I reckon Gawn has played enough with our blokes and is hardly going to fall behind in connection by missing 1 game. Plus, he may get some insights from players from successful clubs.

The point I was making was about all those complaining about the injury risk, which is absolutely no different.

I reckon it's more about our midfield connection with Gawn and how we are going to use him as a get out kick from defence and who is going to be the 2nd banana...the connection wasn't that great this year and we have to also account for 666.

Injury risk, I guess it is the same but I've got to admit I always worry more in preseason...

Another thing not mentioned with the media naming their best 22's. I would think maybe there would be 8 on the bench giving us a best 26. Makes sense to me...

Edited by rjay

Not sure why anyone would be against the idea, particularly now that that the AFL are tipping in some serious coin of their own.

I have no first-hand knowledge of what its like to go through something like these fires, but the human cost must be [censored] enormous.

Add to that how i feel every time i see TV reports of Koalas burnt to a crisp..... I cant stand seeing the poor animals suffer like that. (Some will be surprised to hear that i DO have feelings) i cant wait for this to happen, and hope it raises a fortune.

Just this once, i wont be worried about MFC players being injured. Surely this is much, much bigger than selfish worries of that sort.

I tip my hat to the AFL.

Have a heart guys.

• Like 1

The AFL have tipped in some good coin on top of organising this match. My biggest frustration is that I have a wedding the night it's happening otherwise I would've been there in a heartbeat.

It's a little sad to see how lowly we are rated that only May and Gawn will be getting a run in it. Would've thought Clarry would be in there as well.

14 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I think people who have been wanting a return of ‘State of Origin’ will be disappointed.  This will be a fundraising exhibition match and will almost be in bad taste for the players to take it too seriously.

Hopefully raises a lot of much needed funds, but don’t expect there to be much action on field.

I think our club has been missing an opportunity for years by not making Melbourne v Sydney a blockbuster game.The nation's two largest cities, already in friendly and sometimes not so friendly competition, is a natural. Involving the Lord Mayors of each city plus everyone from the top end of town down should give an annual game significant traction. It should rotate from the MCG to the SCG each year with the city able to claim bragging rights if its club wins. Appropriately marketed it has the opportunity to get residents of greater Melbourne, whether MFC supporters or not, supporting us and may as a consequence generate a few additional long-term supporters as well.

If it's successful, it could be extended to Melbourne v Brisbane and Melbourne v Adelaide. If that were to happen, it would replace State of Origin and make Melbourne the de facto team for all Victorians for these particular matches.

• Like 1