Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

furious d

Poll: Who do you want with our first two picks?

Who do you want with picks 3?  

349 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, whelan45 said:

Let's say they trade out pick 6 for a future pick, are they still able to match a bid if it came at pick 3? I know they can go into deficit, but how much is the max they can go into deficit? I imagine pick 40 & 59 still wouldn't be enough?

Found this article which helps. I'll try do some scenarios a bit later.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-12/afl-closes-draft-bidding-system-loophole

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

The AFL brought in rule 6 to compensate the rest of the Clubs if a Club has the benefit of being able to have access to a Father/Son or Academy player. The AFL set up a points value for each pick in the draft. As an example of how it works GWS have the right to draft Tom Green because they developed him in their Academy. Any other Club can use one of their picks to bid for him. GWS then has to decide to give up enough picks in value to match the value of that pick or let the other Club have him. So for instance if we bid on him at pick 3 that pick is worth 2234 points. To keep Green GWS would have to give up picks they have to match that amount of points. They currently have pick 6 which is worth 1751 points, pick 40 which is worth 429. and pick 59 which is worth 158.  They  would have to give up all those picks and that would leave an excess of 104 points which is worth pick 64 so they would be registered as having used pick 3 in the draft our pick 3 would become 4 and they would lose their picks 6, 40 & 59 and get back 64. 

Hope that explains it. Same applies for Father/Son and NGA academy players. 

Very helpful, thanks.

does that mean every club goes up on the draft (I.e club with pick 41 gets pick 40) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

Article on fox sports saying Dee’s are firming on Jackson at pick 3.

I'd be disappointed with the club if we draft Jackson with 3.

He'll be undersized as a ruck at AFL level, and hasn't shown he can play as a key forward. He's mobile and athletic sure, but he's also a horrible kick of the footy and will never be a dominant ruckman at AFL level. He'd basically be playing as a negating ruckman who then becomes an extra midfielder. If the club doesn't value ruck work (Gawns strength), then it makes sense.

He's definitely not the best talent available at such a high pick. Happy to claim that and cop egg on the face in future.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

No point wasting a top 10 pick on Pickett - might as well split 8 and take him later if we want him that badly. As others have said, he'd be a massive risk. GWS have shown you don't necessarily need a specialist crumber to have a potent forwardline (although having Cameron, Green et al. admittedly helps). I'd bid for Tom Green, then take Young and Kemp. Talent over needs in the first round every day of the week.

That's the point AM that you miss GWS have missed a small crumbing forward !!! that's why they have got 2 on their list now Hill and the goalkicker vs Brisbane in the Semi who won it for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

The AFL brought in rule 6 to compensate the rest of the Clubs if a Club has the benefit of being able to have access to a Father/Son or Academy player. The AFL set up a points value for each pick in the draft. As an example of how it works GWS have the right to draft Tom Green because they developed him in their Academy. Any other Club can use one of their picks to bid for him. GWS then has to decide to give up enough picks in value to match the value of that pick or let the other Club have him. So for instance if we bid on him at pick 3 that pick is worth 2234 points. To keep Green GWS would have to give up picks they have to match that amount of points. They currently have pick 6 which is worth 1751 points, pick 40 which is worth 429. and pick 59 which is worth 158.  They  would have to give up all those picks and that would leave an excess of 104 points which is worth pick 64 so they would be registered as having used pick 3 in the draft our pick 3 would become 4 and they would lose their picks 6, 40 & 59 and get back 64. 

Hope that explains it. Same applies for Father/Son and NGA academy players. 

Close but no cigar.

The team matching the bid has to supply picks worth 80% of the pick bid on the player. They get a 20% discount. So if we bid Green at 3 = 2234pts, GWS have to supply 1787  pts to match. Coincidentally pick 6 is worth very nearly that.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

Article on fox sports saying Dee’s are firming on Jackson at pick 3.

Wrong way to go IMO.

So Open after 1 an2 gone but many good prospects in top 10.

Needs first   No 3 Dylan Stephens  addresses Outside run breaks lines beautiful Left foot kick and kicks goals.Huge upside in our team 

No 8 needs first Weightmen prob ahead of Pickett but small crumbing forward very necessary 

BEST PLAYER  policy then prob Young then Kemp if avail at 8 or Jackson or still Stephens.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whelan45 said:

Let's say they trade out pick 6 for a future pick, are they still able to match a bid if it came at pick 3? I know they can go into deficit, but how much is the max they can go into deficit? I imagine pick 40 & 59 still wouldn't be enough?

Maximum deficit is the points value of the last pick in the first round so they can cover the deficit with a future 1st even if they win the flag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pipefitter said:

Article on fox sports saying Dee’s are firming on Jackson at pick 3.

I doubt they have the slightest idea what we are planning

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

I doubt they have the slightest idea what we are planning

 

57 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

I'd be disappointed with the club if we draft Jackson with 3.

He'll be undersized as a ruck at AFL level, and hasn't shown he can play as a key forward. He's mobile and athletic sure, but he's also a horrible kick of the footy and will never be a dominant ruckman at AFL level. He'd basically be playing as a negating ruckman who then becomes an extra midfielder. If the club doesn't value ruck work (Gawns strength), then it makes sense.

He's definitely not the best talent available at such a high pick. Happy to claim that and cop egg on the face in future.

For these reasons I don't believe we will be drafting him. Makes no sense on many levels. Won't be a no. 1 ruckman, too short. Apparently hasn't shown anything to indicate he will be a forward worthy of pick 3. 

No idea where press are getting this from. If it's from the Club they must be spreading misinformation for a purpose. Maybe to spook Freo into a deal. Who knows. Jackson looks like a player you'd take in the late 30's or later. Too short, not skilled. Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, It's Time said:

 

For these reasons I don't believe we will be drafting him. Makes no sense on many levels. Won't be a no. 1 ruckman, too short. Apparently hasn't shown anything to indicate he will be a forward worthy of pick 3. 

No idea where press are getting this from. If it's from the Club they must be spreading misinformation for a purpose. Maybe to spook Freo into a deal. Who knows. Jackson looks like a player you'd take in the late 30's or later. Too short, not skilled. Go figure. 

Also the go home factor.

I don't see it either, especially when Young and Green are seen by most as far better prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we take a bloke who is going to take years to develop over a an absolute need that we have who is also rated as teh third best player in teh draft by some in Young then we will make a mess of this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 58er said:

That's the point AM that you miss GWS have missed a small crumbing forward !!! that's why they have got 2 on their list now Hill and the goalkicker vs Brisbane in the Semi who won it for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective crumbing forward - a good one makes any forwardline better. It's a matter of risk vs reward for me. Is it worth passing up a chance at drafting the next Dusty for a more speculative, albeit desirable small forward that almost certainly won't make an impact for 2 years anyway? (If he turns out to be any good). I'd rather rookie one, and be aggressive during free agency and trade period next year. 

On Jackson, I agree with most on here - doesn't really seem to make much sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're all sick of the speculation, theories and wild, uninformed guesswork.

Just bring on the draft already, although I note the AFL is milking it by (unnecessarily) dragging it out over two nights.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same boat here, really hope we don't take Jackson. If we are playing games (which I don't think we are), we are doing a good job. If we somehow manage to get Freo's 7 & 10 for 3, it will have worked, and we should be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Article on fox sports saying Dee’s are firming on Jackson at pick 3.

Do you, or anyone, have a link? I can't find it..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dees247 said:

Do you, or anyone, have a link? I can't find it..

Throw away line at the bottom of the May/Preuss article that doesn't even list an author.

Quote

The Demons will take Pick 3 and Pick 8 to this month’s draft, with ruckman Luke Jackson firming as the player the club take with its first selection.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

I'd be disappointed with the club if we draft Jackson with 3.

He'll be undersized as a ruck at AFL level, and hasn't shown he can play as a key forward. He's mobile and athletic sure, but he's also a horrible kick of the footy and will never be a dominant ruckman at AFL level. He'd basically be playing as a negating ruckman who then becomes an extra midfielder. If the club doesn't value ruck work (Gawns strength), then it makes sense.

He's definitely not the best talent available at such a high pick. Happy to claim that and cop egg on the face in future.

Will happily line up with you LT in terms of our own needs.

Having said that he looks like a very solid ruck prospect that will present any opponent with a big headache, especially once the ball hits the deck.  When you say undersized.   On the surface yes but this kid has a super leap on him enabling him to match it with somewhat taller opponents and best them on many occasions just through pure athleticism.

His ability/agility to work himself 'off' the ruck contest quickly and present himself as a 4th balanced mid, either on the receive or getting his hands dirty if needed , is also astonishingly good and will no doubt be a point of difference and great asset to any team.  Think a slightly smaller version of Nic Nat but better hands to distribute, allowing other mids to release on the burst but without the goal kicking / high marking cred (at this point...i could also be wrong here re: not appearing to be a dangerous/handy part-time forward or pack busting marking prospect so far.  Just going on the vision from the Nats replays).

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dees247 said:

Same boat here, really hope we don't take Jackson. If we are playing games (which I don't think we are), we are doing a good job. If we somehow manage to get Freo's 7 & 10 for 3, it will have worked, and we should be happy.

They would need to give 22 back to us also if they don't want a significant (700+) points deficit going into 2020.

While you have to be willing to give up Young, some of the 'potential' combos with 7, 8, 10 & 22 are pretty enticing...

Kemp, Stephens, Weightman and one of Kozzie or Taylor.

Ash, Kemp, Jackson and same.

Ash, Stephens, Weightman and same.

Serong, Robertson, Weightman and Gould.

Serong, Stephens, Weightman and one of De Koning, Sharp or Schoenberg.

Etc.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective crumbing forward - a good one makes any forwardline better. It's a matter of risk vs reward for me. Is it worth passing up a chance at drafting the next Dusty for a more speculative, albeit desirable small forward that almost certainly won't make an impact for 2 years anyway? (If he turns out to be any good). I'd rather rookie one, and be aggressive during free agency and trade period next year. 

On Jackson, I agree with most on here - doesn't really seem to make much sense. 

Whatever player AM we choose there is always a risk but another inside mid Please NO let's be more creative.

I am sick to death of the ball going to ground (anywhere really) but especially in our Forward line and no one crumbing on a reasonably regular basis with speed and skill. We need a small desperately so must be prepared to recruit high or as wide as possible and let  numbers  do the job!

Surely Weightman Pickett And even another forward type in Sokol in the  PSD draft would change the whole forward setup Add a fit Harley mid year a best ever season from Trac with 40 plus goals along with Fritschy developing more to an A grade forward plus Weide bigger stronger now and Tommy in 2018 form and Milkshake stirring things up.

Now we are talking!

Even ANB could surely fit in as depth with that group around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective crumbing forward - a good one makes any forwardline better. It's a matter of risk vs reward for me. Is it worth passing up a chance at drafting the next Dusty for a more speculative, albeit desirable small forward that almost certainly won't make an impact for 2 years anyway? (If he turns out to be any good). I'd rather rookie one, and be aggressive during free agency and trade period next year. 

On Jackson, I agree with most on here - doesn't really seem to make much sense. 

AM are you referring to someone in particular as the next potential Dusty or was that just a general comment re passing up on recruiting a genuine mid in this draft vs a small forward?

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

They would need to give 22 back to us also if they don't want a significant (700+) points deficit going into 2020.

While you have to be willing to give up Young, some of the 'potential' combos with 7, 8, 10 & 22 are pretty enticing...

Kemp, Stephens, Weightman and one of Kozzie or Taylor.

Ash, Kemp, Jackson and same.

Ash, Stephens, Weightman and same.

Serong, Robertson, Weightman and Gould.

Serong, Stephens, Weightman and one of De Koning, Sharp or Schoenberg.

Etc.

They are not going to trade us 7, 10 & 22 for 3, that is laughable

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is that Freo will do the following:

1. Wait and see what happens up to their pick 7 and assuming there's no bids on Henry to that point they will select their first option (likely Deven Robertson or Luke Jackson).

2. They will then offer us pick 10 and 22 as they are then guaranteed pick 8 and Henry by matching a bid with pick 58.

3. We will then use pick 10 on someone like Brodie Kemp and Pick 22 on Pickett, Weightman or Elijah Taylor.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

My theory is that Freo will do the following:

1. Wait and see what happens up to their pick 7 and assuming there's no bids on Henry to that point they will select their first option (likely Deven Robertson or Luke Jackson).

2. They will then offer us pick 10 and 22 as they are then guaranteed pick 8 and Henry by matching a bid with pick 58.

3. We will then use pick 10 on someone like Brodie Kemp and Pick 22 on Pickett, Weightman or Elijah Taylor.

The second scenario is that Henry is bid on before pick 7. I believe they will then swap that pick with someone like the Hawks for pick 11 & 30.

Obviously scenario one is better for them, but it all depends what happens on draft night.

Very unlikely Henry is bid on before pick 7.

 

Edited by Collar-Jazz-Knee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...