• Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

furious d

Poll: Who do you want with our first two picks?

Who do you want with picks 3?  

349 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I've set it up right you can make multiple selections but please limit your choices to 2 for obvious reasons. It's up to you how you base your vote, either your dream combination or who you think we'll pick.

I voted Serong and Stephens but I've changed my mind several times and probably will again. I think Serong would be a walk up start as a small forward in our 22. According to reports he's strong overhead, good on the ground and loves a tackle and a goal. He could also provide a midfield rotation with time. Stevens provides the class and run we desperately need to develop to hopefully make Tomlinson redundant on the wing.

Would be very happy with Young or Kemp as well. If we take any body but Serong at 3 I could live with Weightman at 8 if the others are gone. I like Flanders as well but worry he's too similar to Petracca, if he were still there at 8 it would be tempting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Be interesting to see where Gould lands. No one I've seen has him in the top 10, but he has very good attributes to be become a very good AFL player.

Edited by A F
Gould was top 10 in a recent Phantom, ya dill AF
  • Like 3

Gone Young and Stephens.

Young at 3 - best kick in the draft. Will be an elite half back. Could also play midfield if needed.

Stephens - best outside midfielder in the draft. Will provide run and kicking on a wing or any flank.

• Like 7

I've voted Serong and Kemp.

I think Seeing looks very skillful, makes good decisions under pressure, could be the forward we're looking for to tandem with Lockhart.

Kemp is the only real forward I see at the top end and I think we need another option up forward.

If we split pick 3 I think Weightman and Jackson look good

• Like 1

Firstly, I'm no expert. But after watching actual video of games, I considered who was the one player that really stood out. For me, it was Caleb Serong, he just seemed to have that star quality potential. He reminded me a bit of a young Toby Green, minus the attitude. The next pick has hard, but I chose Cody Weightman. He will be a serious goal kicker, and you can't have enough of them. It would change our whole forward line if we picked both of them, and I assume we could. But part of me, with pick 8, would like us to take Dylan Stephens. Outside mid, Gaff like but young, exactly what we need. I wouldn't mind at all if we used 8 on him.

• Like 2

No brainer. Young and Kemp are the third and fourth best prospects in this draft. We'll get one of them at three and hopefully the other is around at 8.

• Like 4

Gone with the paper Young and Weightman

• Like 2

Young & Stephens. Easier to find small forwards from other avenues than it is blokes with elite pace/kicks!!

• Like 2

So what happens if GC don't take the expected 1 and 2?

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Dees247 said:

Firstly, I'm no expert. But after watching actual video of games, I considered who was the one player that really stood out. For me, it was Caleb Serong, he just seemed to have that star quality potential. He reminded me a bit of a young Toby Green, minus the attitude.

Love the sound of this.

If we arent picking a player at pick 3 that has  star potential, we may as well throw the pick in the bin.  Too many of the kids projected to go from 3-12 look to be very average, at best they might fill a role in a team if they make the grade.

But pick 3 isnt for role players, its to get a superstar.    Kemp or Serong for me at 3.  Would be a dream to get both (realistically would be Serong 3 and Kemp at 8 )

Edited by JakovichScissorKick
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

So what happens if GC don't take the expected 1 and 2?

Have they made any sort of declaration about their intentions to take both of them?

1 minute ago, Luther said:

Have they made any sort of declaration about their intentions to take both of them?

Not sure. It just seems to be that everyone is assuming that it's a given. But what if it isn't? Who of the two would we want or need?

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Fester said:

Not sure. It just seems to be that everyone is assuming that it's a given. But what if it isn't? Who of the two would we want or need?

Anderson..............by a country mile.

• Like 3

I'd argue that given we need effective forward players more than anything as a team, go with Serong and Weightman. We are a team that gets a lot of inside 50s. As good as Young is he ain't helping goal conversion I50.

Serong looks great but when you see Youngs kicking... you cannot help but wonder how many opportunities would open up downfield. Some of his dicision making is sublime and cannot be taught. You never know, Noah Anderson might still be available at 3.

Edited by Ugottobekidding
  • Like 4

Club doesn't have the luxury to wait two years for a rookie inside mid in Kemp to come back from knee surgery until he is fully loaded etc.

Big Max might not be at his best in two  season's time nor some of the core.  The present group might look completely different again if we don't have two very solid years from here and at least one serious finals campaign.

Chosen Young, whose kicking and ground ball work is sublime.  His follow up work and second efforts are also commendable. Kicks either side as well which makes him that much harder to match up on counter.

Only downside is a turn of pace which might see him a little less effective and under a higher degree of pressure at senior level.   Missing more kicks and handballs.   Seems to have great awareness and knows when to shoot the lights out with a kick (short, medium and raking) or a handball forward to a free running player .  Lovely to watch and might end up one of the better AFL kicks in that regard (subject to the lack of speed / step up effect mentioned above).

Would hate to miss Young.  If for some moment of insanity we did, the next best down the rung for mine (potentially depending on height) is Stephens for outside blitz run and finish.  Looks a little raw though and im not sure he is the 183cm player i saw listed somewhere.  The official stats have him much smaller at 172ish.

Weightman as the second pick for the small forward.  Has more X factor, smarts than the more bullocking small in Serong (who reminds me a little of Luke Beveridge!).  While Serong looks like a gruntier bull around the ball, Weightman can also play a little tall at times up forward as well as clever work on the outside of stoppages.  Goal kicking seems ok even from reasonable distance.  Dennis Lillee run up Ben Brown style!  Not necessarily a game changing player but very very clever and handy.  Knowing when to knock the ball on (a la the Tiger's method) instead of taking possession all the time like so many of our boys do at present.  Sometimes you can't teach that so this and ability to play tall up forward is a slight advantage over say a Serong imv.

We won't land a 1st string KF this year to take over the No.1 mantle from T-Mac but hopefully we recruit well to fill most of what else is required prior to doing so.

To not land even a 2nd string KF with the likes of Jenkins was the club's biggest fail in the trade period imv, although we don't know whether Mahoney/Taylor even tried or not as there's been no comms from the club either way vs say Elliot, where we had reasonable info forthcoming.  This should be one of the key questions asked at the forum imv ie; did we make a serious attempt at landing Jenkins for peanuts?  If not, why not?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

while we don't have a 'great' small forward we have a heap of options, particularly if you include the mid-sized likes of trac and milkshake

gone young and kemp

although i have zero idea tbh; just gimme two superstars please

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Anderson..............by a country mile.

Would be goood but cannot see gold coast having the balls to not select the obvious two.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ugottobekidding said:

Would be goood but cannot see gold coast having the balls to not select the obvious two.

True but it’s possible they may decide that one top shelf mid is enough and perhaps go for say Young as a ready made half back to fill another need.

It is Dreaminland after all.

• Like 1