Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Redleg

Tom Green (Drafted by GWS Giants)

Recommended Posts

IMO GWS wouldn’t have done a deal with the Crows if they didn’t have assurance from the dees that we won’t bid on Green. 

Why wouldn’t we pick him if he is what we are after is beyond me. We don’t need to help gws get better our job is for our team to get better. 

Last I looked we weren’t in the grand final this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davos said:

I was at that game. Walked away thinking he was the best player I saw. Put on a clinic.

One game does not make a swallow Davos but he was very good.

The game against SA however, ok and one of the Allies better players imv but not quite at the level of this one.

I guess they are all young and going to have some major variations on the day.  Quality of opponents, recovery times etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 10:35 PM, DemonOX said:

IMO GWS wouldn’t have done a deal with the Crows if they didn’t have assurance from the dees that we won’t bid on Green. 

Why wouldn’t we pick him if he is what we are after is beyond me. We don’t need to help gws get better our job is for our team to get better. 

Last I looked we weren’t in the grand final this year.

I think it's as simple as the Giants rate Jackson higher than Green, and they'd grab him if we did bid so they don't care. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think it's as simple as the Giants rate Jackson higher than green, and they'd grab him if we did bid so they don't care. 

Based on needs i would guess so PO.  They have plenty of mid field power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 9:44 AM, ProDee said:

Blah blah blah

You had to edit that post?

Did you spell blah wrong?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

You had to edit that post?

Did you spell blah wrong?

Jellyfish have survived for over 600 million years without a brain.

There's hope for you yet, Junior.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

Is that the All Australian Matt Crouch you are talking of? If the range was Matt Crouch to Patrick Cripps he would be the first pick in the draft.

If you think Green is Cripps then draft him, but if you think he is Matt Crouch and you think Jackson is Grundy then you go with Jackson. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, DeeSpencer said:

If you think Green is Cripps then draft him, but if you think he is Matt Crouch and you think Jackson is Grundy then you go with Jackson. 

I think you can’t lose with those 2. If we’re genuinely happy to get Green, which I think we should be, we bid.

And we settle for Jackson if GWS matches. That way, we get 1 of the 2 players we want and we stop GWS from getting a second bite at the cherry.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I think you can’t lose with those 2. If we’re genuinely happy to get Green, which I think we should be, we bid.

And we settle for Jackson if GWS matches. That way, we get 1 of the 2 players we want and we stop GWS from getting a second bite at the cherry.

Getting the player we want more is the most important thing. GWS are going to be a good side with or without Green. In fact letting them get Green - who is unlikely to make them better in the next 2 years - and not having any future draft picks as well as a packed salary cap could work in our favour if we're proactive in grabbing one of their other young mids like a Caldwell/O'Halloran in next years trade period. The footy gods might smile back on us.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

We will bid on Green because he is a top 3 player in the draft.

Only if we want him more than Jackson or anybody else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a very good chance the Giants wouldn't match the bid for Green so i guess it comes down to who we rate 3 in this draft. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I think there is a very good chance the Giants wouldn't match the bid for Green so i guess it comes down to who we rate 3 in this draft. 

I would prefer Green to Jackson.

Green could make a difference to our midfield rotations in his 1st year 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If GWS don't match the bid then I think his brother wont want to go the club either and will probably go into the draft, so if the brother is any good they wont want to burn bridges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, durango said:

If GWS don't match the bid then I think his brother wont want to go the club either and will probably go into the draft, so if the brother is any good they wont want to burn bridges.

I'm not sure that theory holds water, can you name one instance where that has happened?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'm not sure that theory holds water, can you name one instance where that has happened?

seeing as this is the first instance where two very talented brothers are both part of one of these farcical next generation academy thingoes i doubt very much it's ever happened

green will be taken by gw$ no matter what

i doubt we will nominate him, and thus gw$ will get two super players - it's an absolutely ridiculous situation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

seeing as this is the first instance where two very talented brothers are both part of one of these farcical next generation academy thingoes i doubt very much it's ever happened

green will be taken by gw$ no matter what

i doubt we will nominate him, and thus gw$ will get two super players - it's an absolutely ridiculous situation

A much more fair system would be academy bidding etc occurs before the draft as in teams can bid their picks for that player and if they do the Giants have an opportunity to match. but it means surrendering the picks to that value before the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that a bid at 3 by the MFC is a win/win situation since it will either force GWS to match it and if they don't then we get a player which is regarded by all recruiters as the next best player after the Sun's picks.

As a club we are not there to make life for GWS easy in getting 2 guns not 1.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only think we should bid on Green if we think he’s best available, the idea of bidding on him to screw the Giants is foolish. 

But at same time I think this will be the biggest pick of the night and will have a knock on effect on several teams weather GWS match or not. Ripple effect may  still be felt at 10 and might decide weather we trade that pick or not. Does anybody know if Giants would be allowed to split with another team and hold on to one pick even though they would have a point deficit ?Say we bid on Green, they split with say Port for 12&18 then use 12 on Green and 18 on another player.  

If we decide not to pick Green and pick Jackson things might play out a bit more predictable. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Colm said:

I only think we should bid on Green if we think he’s best available, the idea of bidding on him to screw the Giants is foolish. 

But at same time I think this will be the biggest pick of the night and will have a knock on effect on several teams weather GWS match or not. Ripple effect may  still be felt at 10 and might decide weather we trade that pick or not. Does anybody know if Giants would be allowed to split with another team and hold on to one pick even though they would have a point deficit ?Say we bid on Green, they split with say Port for 12&18 then use 12 on Green and 18 on another player.  

If we decide not to pick Green and pick Jackson things might play out a bit more predictable. 

They need to match the points. If we bid 3, they can swap to 12&18 but if the points are more than 12, then 18 drops back.

Their other option is to trade for a later pick and a pick next year. That future pick is quarantined from matching the bid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whomever we bid on at 3, if there is not a match, many will perceive that we picked the lesser of the 2.

Although a few will think a backroom deal was done.

Coming last in consideration will be, we picked the player Melbourne need the most for the next few years. That's my punt.

Edited by Damo
a comma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

seeing as this is the first instance where two very talented brothers are both part of one of these farcical next generation academy thingoes i doubt very much it's ever happened

green will be taken by gw$ no matter what

i doubt we will nominate him, and thus gw$ will get two super players - it's an absolutely ridiculous situation

 

To be fair, a similar thing eventuated in our favour when Frawley went to Hawthorn, with the absurd FA framework. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

 

To be fair, a similar thing eventuated in our favour when Frawley went to Hawthorn, with the absurd FA framework. 

yep, but that's cos we were down so low so we got what he was valued at in terms of it being a pick after our first rounder, ergo pick 3

also a farce, but not a ridiculous one like these nga players and discounts and points accumulation and rules on the run...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Good Lord George said:

They need to match the points. If we bid 3, they can swap to 12&18 but if the points are more than 12, then 18 drops back.

Their other option is to trade for a later pick and a pick next year. That future pick is quarantined from matching the bid

Thanks for that GLG. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...